Author's Chapter Notes:
Song lyrics for You're the Storm by the Cardigans
Summers School looked exactly like a 1970s movie dojo. It also looked exactly like a 1970s movie dance studio. Windows lined the length of the brick facade out front, revealing one large, open room and a spread of hardwood floors. The back wall was mirrored, of course, so that the Slayers could watch themselves getting knocked down on a daily basis. On the right there was office space, which Buffy and Kennedy begrudgingly shared, and another, smaller practice area. In the back left-hand corner, the school boasted one shower room, one changing room and a storage closet housing hand-to-hand weapons of all varieties: axes, maces, crossbows, swords, knives, clubs, stakes (whittled by Xander himself), daggers, throwing stars, darts and books.

A replica of the Slayer’s Scythe hung above the door to the office. It was a replica because the real thing lay in a custom-made carved mahogany case beneath Buffy’s bed in the Flat. It was far too valuable to hang up for display.

William counted eight girls - all of them in their teens - assembled within, talking, stretching, practicing fighting moves and meditating.

“Perfect plan, really,” William said. He looked up at the sign above the door. The words ‘Self Defense and Martial Arts Training’ were carefully stenciled beneath the Summers School name. “Can’t think why you didn’t do it before. Teaching self-defense in Sunnydale would’ve beat the Doublemeat gig.”

Buffy followed his gaze to read the sign. “Yeah. Hindsight. Although, I did learn valuable life experience at the DMP.”

“Such as?”

She shrugged. “Never, ever eat fast food.”

“Hear that,” he said.

When Buffy pulled the door open, William stepped in to the tiny glassed-in lobby that stood between the office and the practice floor.

“Place feels good,” he said. “Willow’s work?”

“Yep. All sizzly with protection. Kinda like a bug zapper for evil,” she said.

“Handy.”

“Wanna meet the girls?”

“That’s why I’m here,” he said.

Buffy entered the room. The girls immediately lined up in two rows of four each. When Buffy took her place in front of them, they all bowed to her.

William was impressed.

Buffy bowed back, then straightened. “Kennedy won’t be joining us today,” Buffy said. “Or tomorrow. She’s gone to France on official secret Slayer business.”

William noted that a few of the girls looked undeniably relieved at this news. He also saw that Buffy had changed. In the moments between the little glass lobby and right now, she had gone from being regular Slayer girl Buffy to Buffy the Teacher. The transformation was complete, from the way she tilted her chin to the commanding yet approachable tone of her voice. From where he stood, she belonged there. Training.

"In her place,” Buffy went on, “we have William.”

The girls turned together to look at him. Buffy pointed to each one, putting names with their faces. “Rita. Althea. Jess. Gwen. Anjelica. Renee and Carmen...”

“Twin Slayers?” he interrupted. “They make ’em in pairs?”

“And, Mikayla,” Buffy finished.

“MK,” the girl said. She had to be no older than thirteen, if that.

In following with the custom set forth, William bowed to them.

Buffy circled the girls, talking as she walked. The girls remained at attention, marking her motion in the mirror. “William here is very familiar to our struggle as Slayers. He has fought more demons and vampires than I hope you will ever see in your lives. He was instrumental in defeating the First in Sunnydale. He’s been to hell and back. Maybe more than once.”

Buffy came to rest at William’s side. “Point is, he’s a testament to what you can achieve through strength of will.”

Buffy dropped from speechifying. “Uh, no pun intended,” she said.

The girls smiled. Buffy continued her walk. “He’s here because some part of him on some level refused to give up, just would not leave the game. No matter what, he never quit fighting. You can learn from him.”

Buffy had returned to the front of her class. She said, “Don’t give in. Don't ever give up. Because as long as we fight, we win.”

William feigned a bashful smile. He rocked forward on the balls of his feet.

“So,” Buffy said. “We’ll divide up. Rita, MK and the twins with me. William, you take the others. Let’s show these girls how to fight.”

Oh it's healing bang bang bang
I can hear your cannons call
You've been aiming at my land
Your hungry hammer is falling

And if you want me I'm your country

I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
You steal my lines and you strike me dumb
Come raise your flag upon me

And if you want me I'm your country
If you win me I'm forever
Oh Yeah

Cause you're the storm that I've been needing
and all this peace has been deceiving
I like the sweet life and the silence
But it's the storm that I believe in

Come and conquer and drop your bombs
Cross my borders and kill the calm
Bear your fangs and burn my wings
I hear bullets singing

And if you want me I'm your country
If you win me I'm forever
Oh Yeah

'Cause you're the storm that I've been needing
And all this peace has been deceiving
I need some wind to get me sailing
So it's the storm that I believe in

You fill my heart you keep me breathing
'Cause you're the storm that I believe in
And if you want me I'm your country

You're the Storm
by the Cardigans

Author's Note: I love including songs with the stories. I feel it's party of the Buffy: The Vampire Slayer tradition because there was always plenty of good, new and off-the-beaten-path music on the show. Plus, some of these chapters are shorter than the required length and... the songs help fill up the gap.