William felt like tread on shoes when they left the Flat, but he was doing his best not to show it.

It was dark out, and raining. With the traffic sounds, the rain sounds and the almost constant growl of thunder, they weren’t at conversation volume. For that, William was grateful. Angel had the address to the church Giles wanted them to investigate. They plodded along, wet and sullen. It was a regular dead man’s walk.

Somewhere between High Street and Knightsbridge, Angel just couldn’t take it any more.

He said, “So, you gonna tell me?”

William worked at remaining aloof. “Tell you what, exactly?”

“You and Buffy,” Angel said.

William laughed. “Kills you, doesn’t it.”

Angel grimaced.

Connor quickened his pace to stand right behind the both of them.

William shrugged. “Nothing to tell,” he said.

“Good,” Angel said.

They turned south toward Kensington. The rain slackened, but the pulse of thunder continued unabated. They traveled for another few blocks in silence.

“So you’re not going to tell...” Angel said.

Connor placed his hand on Angel’s shoulder. “Dad. Maybe now is not the time for girl chat.”

Angel glowered. William shoved his hands into his coat pockets. And they walked.

“You’re the one who always spills,” Angel said, on the verge of a chasm of whining. “Don’t you want to spill?”

“Oh, God. Angel?” William said.

“It is killing me,” Angel admitted.

William stopped. “Seriously?” he said. He grinned.

Angel looked abashed. “No,” he said. Then, “Are you with her?”

William walked ahead a few strides. He did like to see Angel crawl. Over his shoulder, he called, “Not at present.”

Angel rushed to catch up to him. “You know what I mean, Spike,” he said.

William stopped. He put his hand on his chest. “Will-EEE-um,” he said. “And it’s cute, you now? You acting the jilted fool. But it’s like your boy said: Now is not the time.”

Angel sighed. Quietly, he said, “You’re right.”

“What’s that?”

“You’re right,” Angel said, louder this time.

Smiling to himself, William started walking again. “I know I am. I just like hearing you say it.”

Connor said, “Guys, let it rest. We’re almost to this church.”

They turned onto Mercer Street and continued in silence. William still felt like something strapped to the underside of someone’s feet, but had to allow that the rain had done a bit to clear his head. Angel had been itching to say something all day. William could sense it. While they pretended to enjoy their Grand Theft Auto session and Lorne’s incessant commentary on how violent video games were destroying the moral fabric of the youth of today, Angel had been biting it all back. Now that they were in the company of dark streets with Connor as backup, Angel could finally have his say.

“Do you honestly think she’ll choose you?” he said.

William gripped Angel’s shoulder, but restrained himself. He sucked his teeth.

“That’s it, at last,” William said. “The burning question that’s been boiling your blood all day? But you just don’t get it, do you? I wouldn’t ask Buffy to choose.”

“That’s real generous of you, Spike, since you haven’t a chance in the world,” Angel said.

William turned Angel roughly by the shoulders to face off with him.

“Hang on just a tic, here. The one skill you’ve proved to her, time and again, is your uncanny knack for leaving.”

“She asked me to leave...” Angel began.

William bowed up to him. “And why is that, I wonder?”

Connor shot William a warning glance. The street here was less crowded, but there were bystanders about. William pushed Angel away and raised his hands.

“Let’s go,” he said, walking ahead.

“You fought with her because you were expendable,” Angel growled.

William ignored him.

Connor took his father’s elbow, but Angel pulled away. He caught up to William.

“You’re not the iconoclast any more,” he said. “I’m sure the appeal’s wearing off...”

That strummed the chord of William’s last nerve. He seized Angel by the throat and shoved him against the brick wall. William could feel the strength behind his fingers like a burning. He could kill Angel, right now. Crush his throat. Tear off his head. It was all within his grasp if he chose...

William laughed his characteristic maniacal laugh, which he hadn’t done since his return. It felt alien, to laugh like that...

“I knew it,” Angel said, panting. “I knew. Just a little push and out comes good old Spike.”

Connor tried to wrest them apart, but Angel raised his hand.

“No. Let’s do this, Spike. We got bad blood all over again,” Angel said.

William stepped back. “It’s what you’ve wanted all day. Isn’t that right? Haven’t got enough rounds in, you wanna fight?”

Angel swiped at William. He blocked easily. Clearly, Angel was not over his injuries.

“Stop this,” Connor said. “Look, the church is right there...”

“I am who I am, Angel. Just as you are...”

“Nothing like me,” Angel said. He hit William in the face. He punched like a non-Slayer type girl, which was not like Angel at all.

William jumped back, almost dancing, his arms outstretched. “That’s the one right thing you’ve said all night.”

Angel swung. Missed. Swung again. William kept out of arm’s way. He dodged, then pushed Angel back, both hands palm-striking to Angel’s chest.

“Something’s not right here, Angel. You’re not right. You know that?” William said.

Angel leaned heavily against the wall. Rain ran down his face, but William saw the waxy of his skin and the labored way he moved. Connor stood shoulder to shoulder with William.

“What did you do to him?” Connor asked.

“No, not me. Willow’s spells aren’t working. That fact falls in the ‘not good’ category, mate,” William said.

“It doesn’t matter much now,” Angel said. “It’s not like you’ll be with us much longer. William.” Angel’s face split in a grotesque smile.

William felt his newly beating heart skip a bit. He did not like it when Angel got this way.

“What do you know, Angel? Why were you looking for Buffy? The night of the earthquake, what were you after?” William said.

Connor and Angel exchanged looks of uncertainty. But Angel returned in seconds to his almost vampiric leer.

William shook the rain from his eyes. “Fine,” he said. “Don’t tell me. But there are larger things than us, Angel. Bigger. More important.”

“More important than love?” Angel said.

“Grand as it is... It will have to wait,” William said. “If I’m the guy telling you this news...” He shook his head again. “Something’s coming for us. Get it? For all of us. Her included. It’s... Angel!”

Three of the Sisters miraged around them. The first kicked Angel back into the wall. Connor leapt in, but they batted him away.

The last stood before William, then bowed.

“N’galeck t’ll nesthul gal aconda” she said.

William smiled. “You said that before, luv. But my dance card is full, see...”

She clutched the lapels of his coat, ready to fling him.

“Oh, bugger,” he said.