Author's Chapter Notes:
Mmm, donuts
Homer Simpson
The next morning, things did feel better. The rain rolled back from the British Isles, leaving everything summery fresh and sparkly.

Dawn, Buffy, Willow and Spike converged in the kitchen. Buffy and Willow sat together at the table, with Willow pretending to skim the Daily Mirror. It had been Giles wish that she observe Spike, which she had done for all of about twenty seconds before getting wrapped up in Dawn’s endless chatter. Dawn was filling him in on all that he’d missed since his departure from Sunnydale. He listened intently from his place beside the fridge.

Willow leaned over. “He’s all non-talkie, huh?” she whispered. “It’s kinda sweet.”

“Yeah, I’m counting on wise-cracky Spike to surface at any moment,” Buffy said.

Spike cut his eyes to her, but still he said nothing. Buffy gave him what she hoped was an encouraging smile.

Dawn broke off from her narrative. “You know,” she said. “You should talk more. I need help with my accent.”

“Giles has an accent,” Willow said.

Dawn sneered. “I want a cool one.”

The barest trace of a smile creased Spike’s lips.

The front door opened, and within moments, Andrew glided in, turned a quick pirouette and bowed. He presented a flat box of Krispy Kreme Donuts.

“Helloooo, ladies. Spike. I come bearing real American donuts, a gift from fair Nighna. I’m convinced the creator of Krispy Kreme sold his soul to get this recipe, so we have to enjoy them before we erase evil from... hold the sherbet! Spike?”

Andrew faced Spike. Then he grabbed him in a clumsy but not wholly unwelcome hug. “Good to see you again. It’s been like months since you stopped in to visit us in Italy. What brings you to London town?”

Andrew slid the donut box onto the counter. He looked at Buffy and Willow, who seemed lost for words.

“I know,” Andrew said. “I was out all night. My date with Nighna went well. We watched old movies on her VCR, then went to this so-called authentic barbecue place where they served meat on sheets of butcher paper. But in Britain barbecue sauce is no more than glorified ketchup...”

Meanwhile, Spike moved on to the box of donuts. With Dawn’s encouragement, he chose a chocolate glazed from the box and took a bite.

It was like a sugar explosion in his mouth.

“Oh God,” he exclaimed, gripping the counter’s edge with his free hand. His jaw locked and his tongue spasmed.

“Oh!” Dawn squeaked. She rushed to the fridge for milk.

Buffy and Willow jumped from the table.

“What is it?” Willow said. “Are you hurt?”

Dawn slid a glass of milk to him. Spike chewed, swallowed, sipped. “God,” he said. “Donuts.”

“Okay, Homer,” Buffy said. She came over to the bar. “Diabolical, huh?”

Spike blinked, then drew in a deep breath.

“Almost worth an eternity in hell,” Andrew said.

“Just wait till you try double mind fudge cookie dough ice cream,” she said.

“I’ve tried that,” Spike said, catching his breath.

“Not as a human, you haven’t. Everything’s changed,” she said.

“Oh,” Willow said. “Caramel mocha frappucino. With chocolate sprinkles.”

Buffy said, “Cantaloupe bubble tea with milk.”

“Cranberry orange scones with clotted cream,” Andrew added. Then, “Wait. Spike eats.” He pointed at Spike. “You eat. I’ve seen it.”

Willow patted Andrew’s head. “Spike’s now in the Land of Those Who Need Food for Sustenance.”

“William,” Spike said.

“Suh?” Buffy said.

He titled his head to the side. “I should like to be called William. My proper name.”

After a protracted silence, Andrew whispered, “Son of Jorel...”

Dawn picked up another donut and passed it to Spike. “Here you go, William. Clog those human arteries.”

William took the donut, but stared down at it as though it had bugs crawling on it. Buffy covered his hand with hers. “You don’t have to eat it,” she said.

“We should have a party,” Andrew said.

“A dinner party,” Willow added. “How festive!”

“We can use the good china, and make one of those Indian recipes Kennedy’s mom sent...” Andrew said, already getting carried away.

The when’s and wherefore’s of the dinner party absorbed the collective attentions of Dawn, Willow and Andrew. Buffy leaned over to William.

“You okay?” she asked.

He shook his head. “Undone by donuts. Not a bad start to a day.”

“You’re adjusting,” she said. “You’ll be fine.”

“Promise?” he said. He looked up at her through his eyelashes, and for the briefest moment, she saw the old Spike in there, playing the way he always did before, edging up for a sympathy vote.

But then his eyes did roll back slightly, and he bumped against the edge of the bar. Buffy caught his elbow.

“Hey now,” she said. “Maybe too much sugar all at once. We should’ve started you off on a Twinkie or something.”

Willow looked over. “Are you...?”

“In tears,” William said. “Very nearly so. Are you sure we aren’t in heaven?”

“Certain,” Buffy said, too quickly.

“Want more?”

“Hmm. Yes,” he said.

Giles came around the corner, arms loaded with scrolls and books, to walk in on this scene of his girls (plus Andrew) feeding donuts to Spike.

“Oh, good God,” he said.

Willow looked up, guilt-laden. “Oh, Giles. Hi! William’s just had a religious experience with a Krispy Kreme.”

“Ah,” Giles said, flatly. “William.”

“What’s with the beau coup scrollage?” Buffy cut in. “Monsters afoot?”

Giles looked directly to Spike. “Something like that. Yes,” he said. But William did not lower his gaze.

Willow stepped in, taking some of the books from Giles. “Should I take these downstairs, or are they part of the Rupert Giles’ On-Loan to the Watcher Council Collection?”

“Downstairs, please, Willow. I’ve received word of an attack in California,” he said.

Buffy perked up, alarmed. “California?”

Giles directed his gaze now at Willow. “Yes. We know very little. Probably just random vampire activity. We’ll know more soon.”

“Random vampires,” Willow said. “Nothing Dana and our West Coast Slayers can’t handle, right?”

“Giles, should we call someone? Get a heads up?” Buffy asked.

Giles paused. “I don’t think so,” he said. “The network is in place. Now is a good time to test it.”

“Hey, and maybe Kennedy will have some good news with the new Scottish Slayer recruit. We’ll have two reasons to celebrate,” Willow said.

“Celebrate?” Giles said, confounded.

“We’re having a dinner party,” Andrew chimed in. “For William.”

Dawns said, “Our first in London.” She looked uncontainably excited.

“It’s set then,” Buffy said. “Tomorrow night, after Kennedy gets home. Dinner. Sounds... good.”

“Good,” William said, though he didn’t sound completely convinced. He scanned past Buffy to Giles, who watched the scene with a look of concern and disgust on his face.