Author's Chapter Notes:
There is Spike/other but nothing graphic. I own nothing and Joss is god. This starts out pretty PG but eventually will get to NC17. Have patience.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter One

Buffy Summers-Finn was finishing up the last of her morning coffee and reading the paper when the phone rang. She picked up the receiver and said, “Summers-Finn Residence."

"Hey, Mom, it's Dawn. Whatcha doin'?"

“Having my morning coffee. What's up, sweetie? How’s college life this semester?"

"Well, it's great. I was wondering if I can come by for dinner next week and bring a guest."

"Sure, honey. Is it your new roomie? I can't wait to meet some of the girls that live in your sorority. You know I always wanted to live in a sorority when I started college, but then I met your dad and we had you right away, so I never got to do that. I guess I am living through you vicariously."

"No, Mom, it's my boyfriend. I think it is time I bring him home to meet you. We have been dating for three months now, and I have avoided bringing him home ‘cause I was afraid of what you would say."

"He isn't a mass murderer, is he?” Buffy said with a chuckle. “Dawn, you should never be afraid to tell me anything. You know, I may be your mom, but I am still a pretty with it 39 year old woman. What has you so nervous?"

"Well, he is 21 years older than me and was my English Lit professor at UC-Sunnydale my first semester. That’s why I have been all avoidy with you lately - I was afraid you'd yell at me. You may be a young mom, but you still can scare me with those ‘I’m disappointed in you’ eyes."

"Oh, Dawnie, I wouldn't yell at you. I am not gonna say I am pleased that you are dating someone your father's age, but I am willing to not pass judgment until we meet. I honestly hope this is not someone who you are trying to replace your father with. I know it was hard losing him when you were ten, but I thought I did a good job of having a male father figure around like Uncle Xander. He did all the father-daughter things with you in school, and he is a pretty good guy, though he can be a goof ball at times."

"No, Mom, you did a great job. Xander was… is great and I love him dearly. I started dating William ‘cause he asked me out and we just kind of clicked. He’s so smart and he has done so many interesting things. Plus, he’s from England and has this sexy British accent. He waited until I had finished his class before asking me out so as to not cause any problems, and we have been dating ever since. I think you will like him."

"Okay, Dawn. How is next Wednesday night for dinner? I will even pick up something from Food on the Go so he doesn't have to eat my cooking. Wouldn’t want to scare him away with one of my meals."

"Mom, that will be great. He doesn't teach on Wednesday Nights, so it's perfect. I will come by first so we can have some mother-daughter bonding time, and I can fill you in on my new living accommodations. See you then."

Buffy hung up the phone and rubbed her temples. She was a little concerned over the age difference between Dawn and this William, but she was open-minded enough to wait and see how they acted around each other.

It had been hard the last ten years since Riley had been killed in an undercover assignment for the FBI. At least they had a fund that covered the children of downed agents, and Dawn did not want for anything. It had taken Buffy a few years to get her feet off the ground when she had opened The Gallery, but now it was a thriving business. She had decided to open it when her mom had passed away and left her money. Her mom had always wanted to open an art gallery but was too ill to do it. Buffy opened The Gallery and dedicated it to the memory of her mom.

She was also fortunate to be surrounded by good friends that helped with the raising of Dawn. Xander Harris had been a friend since high school, and even when he and Faith had their own children, he was still attentive to Dawn. Dawn loved the Harris' and even babysat for their kids when she was in high school. They didn’t see much of the Harris family since they moved out of Sunnydale but kept in touch by email or phone. Willow Rosenberg was her best friend since junior high and she and her partner Tara McClay had stuck by Buffy through the opening of her gallery. Tara even worked for Buffy at The Gallery and had an excellent eye for art and new artists. She had met Anya Jenkins during her senior year of high school, and they became life-long friends even though she was quite peculiar. Anya was the owner of a shop called the Sex Box on Main Street. She sold everything from lingerie to how-to books to sex toys, and she loved it. Hers was a successful business, and it was right across from The Gallery, so Buffy saw her daily.

She had dated a few men and had two semi-serious relationships in the last nine years, but she never felt comfortable enough with either man to really open herself up to loving another man again. Dawn had been her first priority, and now that she was off to college, Buffy knew she had to put her own life first. It was time to think of herself for once. This was the year of Buffy Summers-Finn.

Her first thought was to get a haircut and put some highlights in her hair. Maybe she could get an appointment for a massage, facial, manicure, and pedicure, too. She’d call her favorite day spa and see if they could schedule her in the next few days. This was going to be about her for once, and she was looking forward to it. Plus she’d look nice when she met Dawn’s new boyfriend.

A/N: Thanks to my beta, Allison, who came up with the title and has been a huge help. This will start out PG and progress to NC17 eventually. Please review and let me know what you think.