Author's Chapter Notes:
Happy 4th a little early!
Chapter 18

A week later…

Buffy was cleaning up the kitchen after making her lunch before heading back to The Gallery when the back door swung open and in walked Dawn. “Dawn, what a surprise. What are you doing here?”

“Hello to you, too, Mom. I came by to see my dear ol’ mom since you never seem to be around to catch my calls. I wanted to know if I could bring Connor over for dinner some time next week.”

“Ah sure, that would be great. How about Tuesday night?” Buffy asked a bit hesitantly. The last time Dawn brought someone home was Will, so she wasn’t sure if this was serious or not. “Are you two dating now?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, the more I get to know him, the more things we have in common. I thought I was in love with Will, but I think you were right and I was just looking for a father figure. Don’t get me wrong - he was a great guy - but I think Connor is more my style,” Dawn said with a smirk.

Just then, the phone rang, and Buffy ran to pick it up before the machine did. Will had been calling her daily and leaving little messages on the machine, and she didn’t want Dawn to find out that way. “Hello.”

“’Lo, luv. Didn’t think I’d find you home,” Will said in a husky voice.

Just hearing him brought a chill to Buffy’s body. “Yes, I’m home with my daughter Dawn. She’s visiting me now and I can’t really talk. Can I call you another time?” Buffy tried her best to pass it off as a friendly call from a business associate or such.

“Sure, pet, call my cell when you are free. I understand, but I’d really love to see you tonight if your schedule allows, so please call me back.” Will hoped he didn’t sound too desperate with that last line, but he hadn’t seen Buffy in two days and missed her.

“Sure, I will call you later. Thanks for calling.” She hung up the phone and turned to face Dawn.

“Who was that, Mom?” Dawn asked.

“Um…” Thinking fast, Buffy said the first thing that came into her mind. “That was Spike. He’s the new artist we are going to be showing in the next few weeks.” It wasn’t a lie since Spike and Will were one and the same.

“Spike, huh? Sounds kind of mysterious and dangerous. When’s his showing? Maybe I’ll have to come by and take a look at him,” Dawn said with a twinkle.

“Dawn Finn. You just told me you were serious about Connor, and now you want to make a play for my new artist?” Buffy said in a motherly tone.

“Just kidding, Mom. Though, I might take Connor to the showing since he does like art. I don’t remember getting an invitation, though.”

“You didn’t?” Buffy asked curiously. She didn’t get an invite because they hadn’t sent her one since Will was Spike. “I’ll have Tara send you another.”

“Great. I can’t wait to meet this ‘Spike’. Is he possible date material for you? You know, you really need to find someone who likes art as much as you do. Will and you did get along in terms of your interest in art - that’s the kind of person you need,” Dawn said and then added, without even taking a breath, “Can I pick up the dinner from Food on the Go this time?” as she was walking out the door.

“Sure, Dawn. That would be a great help. I can’t wait to meet Connor,” Buffy yelled to Dawn’s retreating back. That girl didn’t stay put for long, but could she have hit the nail on the head any better then suggesting she and Will getting along? Oh, what was she going to do about Dawn?

Buffy went and got the phone to dial Will’s cell. He picked up on the first ring.

“’Lo, luv. That was fast. Couldn’t wait to talk to me?” Will snickered into his cell phone.

“Dawn just left. You know my daughter - not much for staying in one place too long. So, what did you have in mind for tonight?” Buffy said in best seductive voice.

“When you say it like that, I have a lot of things in mind.”

When Will talked to Buffy like that, she turned into putty in his hands. “Okay, none of that now - I have to get to work - and if you keep going in the direction I know you’re going in, then I won’t be able to concentrate on my work.”

“That’s the idea, pet. I like it when you’re all turned on and can’t keep your hands off my hot, tight little body. You know, you’ve become quite the sex queen since we got together.” Will knew he was driving Buffy crazy with all this sexy talk, but he really wanted to see her tonight, and he knew if he got her all worked up she’d let him come over.

“Be here at seven sharp! I’ll get take out. What do you feel like eating tonight?” Buffy asked breathlessly.

“You, baby, I feel like eating you. But if you want to know what I want for dinner, Italian, Mexican, or maybe some of those spicy buffalo wings would be great. Better get something we can eat with our fingers since I don’t expect we’ll be sitting at the table long.”

Buffy could feel Will leering at her over the phone. “Stop that!” She giggled. Will really did make her feel like a teenager again. A teenager with a more extensive sexual repertoire than she ever had in high school, that is. She hadn’t felt this way in so long. It would all be great if she didn’t have to deal with telling her daughter that she was dating her ex.

“Okay, changing the subject here. Dawn wants to come to Spike’s showing. What am I going to do?” Buffy asked anxiously. “If she attends and sees you there with me, she’ll know we’re dating. Have you even decided if you are gonna let me tell people you are Spike or if you want to keep it anonymous?”

“Yeah, I think I’m gonna go with anonymous. Don’t want word to get back to the university - might influence my promotion and raise. They may think if I make money off of my artwork, I don’t need a raise in salary,” Will said quietly since he was talking from his office at UC-Sunnydale.

Buffy bit her lip while she listened to Will’s explanation. She couldn’t fault him with not wanting the university to know, but she still had to deal with the Dawn issue. “Well, let’s talk about it when you are here tonight. I know you can’t talk now since you’re at work.”

“Okay, luv, I’ll see you around seven, and remember, we have two days’ time to make up for,” he said in a seductive whisper as he hung up the phone.