Author's Chapter Notes:
Again thanks to all that have reviewed. I promise there will be minimal Dawn after this chapter. Special Thanks to Allison for being a great beta.
Chapter 3

Ding dong.

Dawn ran to the door and yelled, “I’ll get it.”

She pulled open the door to find her boyfriend Professor William Atherton standing there. He was a little less than six feet tall and had a slim but muscular body with a head full of platinum-colored hair. He was wearing black slacks, a royal blue henley shirt, and a long black leather duster and holding a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of white wine. Dawn threw her arms around him in a hug and said, “Wow, you didn’t have to get me flowers, Will.”

“Flowers aren’t for you, luv. They’re for your mum.”

“Trying to make a good impression?”

“Well, yeah. This is the first meeting of your mum and myself, so I wanted to impress her with my good manners,” Will said nervously.

Dawn pulled him into the living room and called out to her mom, “Mom, Will’s here. Come on out and meet him.”

Buffy walked out of the kitchen, carrying a tray of crackers and cheese. She hadn’t wanted to overdress for this meeting, so she was wearing a pair of low rider jeans and a red v-neck tee shirt that showed just a hint of cleavage, and she had her hair loose about her shoulders. “I’m coming, Dawn. You left me to finish the tray and…” Buffy’s words stuck in her throat as she set eyes on Will. She immediately felt some kind of internal connection as she gazed into his eyes but shook it off as nerves.

“Mom, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend, Professor William Atherton. Will, this is my mom, Buffy Summers-Finn.”

Will and Buffy extended their hands to shake and both received a shock. They simultaneously said, “Shock” and nervously laughed.

“These flowers are for you ,and the wine’s for dinner. I didn’t know what you were making, so I just brought some chardonnay,” Will said hesitantly.

“Thank you. I’m just going to put these in a vase and water. Can I open the wine and offer you a glass?”

“Yes, I’d love one,” said Will.

“Me too, Mom,” Dawn chimed in.

“Oh no, young lady. No alcohol until you’re 21. You know how I feel about that,” replied Buffy in a motherly fashion.

“Mom, come on. You know I drink alcohol at college,” whined Dawn.

“Yes, but my house, my rules.”

“I have to agree with your mum on that one, Dawn. You have to respect her rules when you’re at home,” Will commented in a gentle fashion. Why is Dawn all of sudden acting like a child? Must be ‘cause she’s back at home.

“Fine. Can you get me another diet Coke? I’m gonna show Will my old room and my cheerleading trophies real quick. We’ll be downstairs in a minute.” Dawn grabbed Will by the hand and pulled him up the stairs like a child wanting to show off something.

Buffy went into the kitchen and leaned against the island. Oh my. I haven’t felt this flush since I first met Riley in college. It must be nerves that are making my heart beat fast and my palms sweat. Or maybe it’s that hot guy that’s dating my daughter. Bad Buffy. Stop thinking that way. He’s Dawn’s boyfriend. Now be a good mother and get dinner on the table.

Buffy got the salad and lasagna on the table. She had already put the bread and other vegetables there before. She poured herself a glass of wine and one for Will and then got a diet Coke for Dawn. As she was walking back from the kitchen, Will and Dawn appeared.

Buffy handed Will his glass and Dawn her diet Coke. “Dinner’s ready - let’s sit down before it gets cold.”

Everyone sat down around the table, Buffy at the head with Will and Dawn across from each other. They each passed food to each other and were busy filling their dishes so no one was really talking. Buffy thought she should break the silence and decided she’d ask Will some questions about his job.

“So Will, Dawn tells me you are an English Lit professor. How long have you been teaching at UC-Sunnydale?”

“Well, I started at UC-Sunnydale about three years ago after I moved over to the States from England. I wanted a change, so I applied for a worker’s visa and got it. I really love this area. It’s so sunny unlike jolly ol’ England where I’m from. I teach several levels of English literature, and I also teach English 1A/B and a beginnin’ art appreciation class.”

“Art appreciation? Did Dawn tell you I own The Gallery in town? Maybe you can teach her something about art. She doesn’t understand what is so interesting about it,” Buffy said with some optimism.

“Mom, I don’t like art cause it has always been what kept you away from me when Dad was gone. You were always trying to get The Gallery up and running, and I hated that. I know why you did it, but it left a sour taste in my mouth for art,” Dawn whined again.

“Sounds like a tough sell to me,” Will said with skepticism.

Buffy and Will spent the rest of dinner discussing various artists and their likes and dislikes while Dawn sat bored. Time flew by, and it was time for dessert. “Dawnie, can you get the chocolate cake and coffee while I put the food away?’ Buffy asked.

“Here, let me help you with that, Mrs. Finn,” Will said.

“Please, call me Buffy. If it’s ok, can I call you Will?”

“Absolutely. This was a wonderful dinner. You are an excellent cook,” Will said admirably.

“I don’t cook, Will. I ordered it from Food on the Go. We didn’t want to poison you at your first dinner here,” Buffy said with a smile and a giggle. Why am I sounding like a star-struck teenager?

They ate a leisurely dessert while they discussed life at UC-Sunnydale and Dawn’s new sorority, Gamma Phi Beta. She had pledged last year, and that’s why she was allowed to move into the house this semester. Dawn was going to be house social chairperson, and Buffy was worried it was going to deter her from her studies. Dawn reassured her mom that she would keep her grades up and if not, she’d drop the position.

“I’m planning a big dance for the new pledges at Sunnydale Inn and Suites. Very formal, and I want it to be perfect. If I need help do you think you can lend me a hand, Mom?”

“Sure, honey, as long as you keep your grades up, I will offer any assistance you need,” Buffy said with a kind word.

“Dawn, how many units are you taking this semester? I know you have your history and anthropology classes, but are you taking any classes for your requirements? You know you need to have several English classes for graduation. Okay, now I sound like a professor instead of your boyfriend, but I just want to make sure you are staying on track,” Will said with concern.

“Thank you, Will, for looking after my daughter. Sometimes she just thinks of the fun things and forgets that she needs to take required classes even though they may not be that exciting.”

“My pleasure, Buffy. And with that, I need to be leaving to prepare my notes for tomorrow’s classes. I had a wonderful time, and we should all do this again.” Will stood up and put out his hand. “It was a pleasure meeting you.”

Buffy stuck her hand out to grasp his but not before saying, “For me also.”

They both felt that same current going through them as they touched, but Will quickly broke away and walked towards the door. He turned towards Dawn and said, “I’ll call you tomorrow, and maybe we can have dinner on Saturday.”

Dawn leaned in to kiss him on the lips, but Will turned his head so that she got his cheek instead. She gave him a strange look and said, “Sure. Leave me a message on my cell. Good night.”

As she closed the door, Dawn thought to herself that that was the first time Will had not kissed her on the lips. What was that about?