Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all that have reviewed and sticking with me on this. A bit of conversation with Dawn and Will in this chapter just to warn you. A huge thank you to Spikeshunny for the wonderful banner. Go read her fic Forbidden, it's great.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 6

At a café in Sunnydale, Dawn and Will sat sipping their coffees after a leisurely dinner.

“But why don’t you want to come to the Delta Chi Fraternity party next week? You never want to come to any of the frat/sorority parties, and you know as social chair I have to make an appearance,” whined Dawn.

“Dawn, I just think it wouldn’t look right for you to show up with one of your ex professors as your date. Plus, I am up for assistant chair to the department of English Literature and I don’t want to do anything to ruin my chances. Why don’t you go without me? I’m sure some of your sorority sisters are going, or maybe you can meet up with the social chair of Delta Chi and he can be your escort,” Will stated calmly.

“Are you saying you want me to go without you? What is up with you lately? Ever since dinner at my mom’s, you haven’t even let me sleep over. Is there someone else? Are you hiding something from me?”

“No, there is no one else, Dawn. I am just really busy with school stuff, and I have been attending some department meetings that I usually don’t go to in order to make my presence more well known. And I am just tired sometimes.”

“Well, how ‘bout tonight? Can I stay over? I packed an overnight bag with your favorite nightie just in case,” pleaded Dawn.

“Ah, not tonight, Dawn. I am so tired - I don’t think I’d be good company, let alone have the energy for what you have in mind.” Will fiddled with his napkin and avoided looking into Dawn’s eyes. His heart just wasn’t into this relationship lately. Maybe it was the promotion or maybe it was trying to finish those three painting for his showing. Or maybe it was a certain blond mother that kept creeping into his mind when he was sitting across from her daughter

“I can’t believe you are giving me the brush off again. What is with you? You used to be fun,” griped Dawn.

Will just shook his head. He used to enjoy her enthusiasm and energy, and now all it seemed that came out of her mouth was whining. “I’m sorry. I guess I am just going through a phase. Please go to the party without me and have a good time.”

“Fine. But after that, we are going to sit down and talk about what is going on with you. You better be ready.”

“I promise we will sit down and talk about us. Now, do you need me to drive you home or did you take your car?” Will asked quickly before Dawn could pursue that subject.

“I drove, but you can walk me to my car.”

“Great.” Will got up, paid their bill, and walked Dawn to her car. He gave her a quick kiss before going to his.

As Will was driving back to his house, thoughts of the evening kept going through his brain. Why did he keep thinking about Buffy when he was with Dawn? Hell, he thought about Buffy when he wasn’t with Dawn, too. She seemed to be on his mind a lot. Of course, it could be because they were constantly talking on the phone or sending emails about his showing. But sometimes he’d pick up the phone when he was painting to get her opinion on a color or he’d drop her an email in the middle of the night when he got an idea about how to arrange his artwork.

He pulled into his driveway and unlocked the front door. He noticed the answering machine light blinking. There were several messages from colleagues and a message from Buffy. She wanted to know if he could stop by The Gallery and proof the invites for the showing before they went to the printer tomorrow. He sat down at his computer and dropped her a quick email saying he’d be by before his evening class if that was okay.

**********************************************************************
When Tara heard Will was coming by in the afternoon, she immediately called Willow to see if she could come by the gallery and check Buffy and Will out. Willow did not have as strong of a sense of other’s emotions as Tara, but she was pretty cognizant with other auras. Willow was free in the afternoon and was going to stop by.

Buffy was working on the computer at her desk when Willow came in. “Willow! I am so glad to see you. I’ve been such a bad friend in not calling to chat. Let’s catch up, or are you here to take my best employee away?”

“Your only employee,” smirked Tara. “No, I asked her to come by and help me with that new order that came in since you are busy with the new showing.”

“I think I can spare a few minutes to catch up with my oldest friend. What’s up with you and Dawnie? Tara doesn’t say much.”

“Well, you heard about the new showing we are doing, right? Dawn is living in her sorority house and is social chairperson. She is thinking of majoring in History with a minor in Anthropology. I am sure Tara told you about Will, her boyfriend. Wait a minute. Is that why you are here? To check out Will?” Buffy asked suspiciously.

“Who, me? No, I am here to help Tara. Helpful girlfriend am I,” a nervous Willow replied.

“Uh huh. Just so happens that Will is coming by this afternoon.”

“Oh really? Well, if I am around, you will have to introduce me. I better go help Tara now,” Willow said quickly as she ran to the back.

Buffy went back to her work on the computer. After fifteen minutes, the door chimed again and in walked Will. A smile lit Buffy’s face as she saw him walk into The Gallery.

“Hey, Will. Glad you got my message to come by. I wanted your opinion on these invites for the showing before I send them off to the printer.” Buffy turned around, got the envelope with the proofs from behind her, and walked over to Will.

“No problem. Any thing I can do to help this along.”

Just as Will started to look at the proofs, Tara and Willow came giggling from the back. “Hey, Will. I want you to meet my girlfriend Willow Rosenberg.”

“Willow, this is Professor Will Atherton. He’s Dawn’s boyfriend and the anonymous painter I told you we were showing.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Red. Tara and Buffy have mentioned you a few times. I hear you teach at the high school,” Will said politely.

“Yes, that’s me, computer girl. I mean computer teacher. Ahh, we better get back to unpacking that order, Tara. Nice meeting you,” Willow stammered as she rushed into the back.

Will gave Buffy a quizzical look.

“Don’t ask,” Buffy said.

As Will and Buffy bent over the proofs, Tara and Willow stared from the back. “Well, honey, what do you think?”

“Oh Tara, I definitely feel something between them. And I totally know what you mean about that hypnotic accent. If I wasn’t gay, I’d be all over him,” Willow said shyly.

“So, what do we do now? I don’t want to hurt Dawn, but don’t Will and Buffy seem perfect for each other? Anyone can see that they are attracted to each other. Look at the way he keeps glancing at her when she doesn’t know it.”

“Or the way she is watching him as he’s showing her his ideas for hanging the artwork. I don’t think she is looking at the walls. I think she is admiring his hot body,” Willow said with a giggle.

“Willow, you are so bad. Well, we will have to put our heads together and see what we can do.’