Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all that have reviewed and to Allison, my beta, and to Spikeshunny for the wonderful banner.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 8

Several weeks passed, and Buffy tried not to be alone with Will. He seemed to be coming to The Gallery several times a week now to discuss the details about the showing. Thankfully, Tara was always around and Buffy could keep her mind on work. But at home, it was a different story. Her nights were filled of dreams of her and Will and her days were filled of thoughts of how bad a mom she was for lusting after her daughter’s boyfriend. She was definitely going to have to visit Anya soon.

Will had not told Dawn about the showing yet. He didn’t know why. Maybe he wanted to keep that part of his relationship with Buffy special and not bring Dawn into it. Wait, why would he not want to bring Dawn into something that was good? The showing would be a big deal for him, though he was not telling anyone he was the Spike that was having a showing at The Gallery in a few weeks.

Something had gone out of his relationship with Dawn. They barely saw each other once a week, and that was usually for a quick meal. Dawn was very busy with her schoolwork and her duties as social chair of the sorority. She would ask him to attend social functions, but he always found an excuse not to.

Dawn was busy with her studies, but she did notice that Will had been acting differently around her. Were they growing apart, or maybe were they not meant to be? This was too heavy of a topic for a 19 year old to have to deal with. She wanted to have a carefree existence, and her relationship with Will was starting to get her down. He wouldn’t even attend the dance she was throwing for the pledges next week that she was in charge of. As for sex, that was non-existent. She had to do some serious thinking to see if this was something she really wanted or not. Maybe it was time for dinner with Mom. Mom always knows what to do. I think I will call her tomorrow and see if we can meet.

Two days later at the Summers-Finn residence…

“Well, honey, you are half his age,” Buffy commented to Dawn.

“Mom, that has nothing to do with it. It’s like he lost interest I me. I even asked around if he was flirting with any of his current students, and everyone said he’s been the perfect professor.”

“What do you want me to say, Dawn? Do you still want this relationship? Is it worth fighting for it?”

“I’m not sure anymore. Promise this won’t leave the room,” whispered Dawn.

“Honey, you know I always keep your confidences, and you don’t have to whisper since there’s only the two of us,” chuckled Buffy.

“Well, last week I went to the Delta Chi Fraternity party and got a bit drunk.”

“Dawn!”

“Hey, I need a friend now, not a mom.”

“Okay, I will try to be objective.”

“Well, I had a bit too much to drink, and one of the guys, who is their social chair, and I really hit it off. We danced and talked for several hours. You know how shy I can be, but the alcohol loosened me up. Well, the long and short of it is that we kissed. Well, we kissed a lot.”

“Dawn, I can’t believe you cheated on Will!” exclaimed Buffy. But in her head, she was thinking that maybe this was in her favor. Bad mother! Buffy, stop trying to take your daughter’s boyfriend away.

“Well, I guess I was cheating, but in my heart, William and I have not been a couple for a few months. The thing is, I really like this guy and I think we do click. He’s 22, majoring in English/History, and I just like talking to him. Mom, I’m so confused. I don’t want to hurt Will, but I want to try something with Connor.”

“Wow! I don’t know what to say. William seems like such a nice guy, but I did feel uncomfortable with the large age gap. Was he more of a father figure to you?” asked a curious Buffy.

“I don’t know, Mom. I mean, I loved Dad and I miss him, but I always had positive memories of him. I don’t think I needed a replacement.”

“Well, Dawn, I think you know in your heart what you need to do.”

The kitchen timer went off in the background.

“Okay, dinner’s on. Maybe after you get some food in your stomach, it will help you make your decision clearer.”

After Dawn had left to go back to her sorority house, Buffy couldn’t help but think of the things that Dawn had told her. So, they weren’t as close anymore. Maybe that was why Will was hanging at The Gallery more often now. Oh, there you go, Buffy, thinking that maybe Will is interested in you. You really need to go out more often. Maybe this is what you need to push yourself out the door and into some nice man’s arms. This was the incentive she needed to call Anya and see if she wanted to go to that new club in town The Bronze.

Buffy dialed Anya’s home number and waited. Anya picked up on the third ring.

“Hello.”

“Hey, Anya, it’s Buffy. How about we get together and have a girls’ night out at that new club in town? I think I am ready to meet some guys.”

“Oh, Buffy, you will love this club. There are so many potential orgasm buddies there. I go there at least once week. Want to go tomorrow night? You can meet me at the Sex Box and then we can have dinner before we go. Will that give you time to buy something slutty? You know your clothes are just too conservative if you want to pick up an orgasm buddy,” Anya said with all seriousness.

“I am not going to buy something slutty. I am sure I can find something not so conservative in my closet if I dig around. Shall I come by around 6:30 when I close The Gallery?”

“Sure, but I don’t close ‘til seven, so you will have to wait around. Or maybe you can shop. You know I love to see your money.”

“Ahh, I was thinking of doing that. Shopping, that is. I will talk to you about it tomorrow when I am in the shop, okay?” asked Buffy.

“Sure, Buffy. Whatever you say. See you tomorrow.” Anya hung up her phone as Buffy hung up hers.