Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all for your wonderful feedback
Hilda stared at the vampire in shock – was this unique, deadly, exciting, unpredictable, beautiful creature asking to come and live with her? Thoughts tumbled round her head, making her feel dizzy.

Spike tried to read her face and, when she stayed silent, his expression hardened. Perhaps he had misjudged her, and she was trying to find the words to tell him no. He stood abruptly and strode to the door. “Yeah, well it was just an idea.”

He was stopped by a very unladylike snort. He swung round and stared at Hilda in astonishment. She was sitting, hands over her mouth with tears running down her face.

“Luv, what’s wrong?” He was immediately concerned.

“I’m sorry,” she gasped, and he realised that she wasn’t crying but laughing. “I was just picturing my neighbour’s reactions if I brought home a handsome young man to live with me.”

“If?” He drawled.

She wiped at her eyes, took a deep breath and said, “When.”

His grin lit up the room like a beacon. “You won’t regret it, I promise.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy lay staring at the ceiling, sleep the last thing on her mind. What were they talking about, she wondered, and why was Spike so cold towards her? She cast her mind back to the last time he’d had that “look” in his eyes. The melting, tender look that he disguised so badly. The look that she had started to take for granted.

It had been just before the witch had arrived and Buffy was trying to persuade the professor to let Spike go. Suddenly she remembered her disgust when Mackness had asked whether she and the vampire were an item. It had been a knee-jerk reaction, a conditioned response, but it had obviously hurt Spike. She kicked herself mentally. Stupid, stupid Buffy. Then something else occurred to her – why was she so concerned about what a vampire thought of her anyway?

She had a really nice, human boyfriend at home. Hm, nice, that was one thing that Spike was not. Was nice what she wanted?




Aren’t you hungry?” Hilda asked.

“Yeah luv, m’stomach thinks me throat’s been cut.” He deadpanned.

Spluttering with laughter at his pun, she reached over and handed the mug of cooling liquid to him. She watched him gulp it down, mind still reeling from recent events.

Spike looked at her over the rim of the mug. He was intrigued. He had met some powerful women in his long life, but none as powerful as she. Let’s face it, he thought, she could destroy me with a flick of her fingers. Sure, she was older than the females he usually wanted, but there was something about her, she saw him as he really was and was not revolted or frightened of him.

Hilda interrupted his musings by yawning hugely. “Oh, sorry – I think the day has finally caught up with me. I don’t think people realise quite how much energy spell casting takes out of a person.”

He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed her palm, “Night then pet.” Smiling, he rose and left the room.

She sank back against the pillows and blew out the breath she hadn’t realised she was holding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning Giles woke feeling pleasantly refreshed and cautiously optimistic. He and the professor had talked into the night about vampires, witches, magic and then several unconnected subjects. They both discovered the other’s fascination with research and compared notes about their respective university careers. All in all, a pleasant and relaxing evening.

A delicious aroma assaulted his senses, mmmm cooked breakfast he thought, as he made his way to the bathroom. He hadn’t had a decent breakfast since the witch had cooked them one at Toby’s house. He hurriedly showered and shaved and made his way down stairs.

Hilda beamed at him as he entered the kitchen. “I seem to remember that you like a full English breakfast Mr Giles.”

“The name’s Rupert,” he smiled at her, “yes please, I remember the last one you cooked me – absolutely delicious.”

She was humming under her breath and smiling to herself.

“You’re cheerful this morning, did you have a good night?” He couldn’t quite understand why she started to chuckle.

The professor came in from the dining room, “I’ve laid the table, have you got everything you need Hilda?” If anything her chuckles deepened, and the two men exchanged puzzled glances. “Yes, well, let me know if I can do anything to help.”

Buffy slowly closed her bedroom door and paused outside Spike’s door. She couldn’t fling it open as if she was entering his crypt; she didn’t want to piss him off anymore than she had already. She listened intently, but of course couldn’t hear a thing. It’s not as if he breathes, let alone snores, she thought. She just wanted to talk to him and see if she could get the “look” back into his eyes. Sighing, she gave up and went down stairs.

Sitting at the dining table, she picked at her food, trying to block out the others’ conversation. Giles and the professor were talking about some research that they had in common. Where was Spike? Well of course as a vampire, the daytime was his natural time for sleeping, but up till now he had slept during the night with the rest of them. She was missing him she realised with a start.

Giles looked at the witch obliquely. Why had he not noticed her smile before? It lit up her face and made her almost beautiful. No, he decided, she was beautiful, so full of life. He must have been too wrought up last time they met, to notice. Well it must have been something to do with being held at gunpoint, he thought wryly.

Professor Mackness looked at her with open admiration. This woman was fascinating, so powerful and yet she had been so gentle with the vampire. “Would you mind if I asked you a few questions?” There was so much he wanted - no needed to know. He wondered if she would mind him recording her answers.

Hilda’s mind was in a whirl. How were she and Spike going to tell everyone? And how would they react? “Um, sorry? Oh, no I don’t mind – ask away.” She smiled at the professor and he grinned back

Suddenly Buffy couldn’t bear it any longer. “I’m going for a walk.” She stood up and marched towards the front door. Mackness called after her, “I have a key to the central gardens if you would like to look at them.”

As soon as Buffy shut the ornate, wrought iron gate behind her, she was in a secret, green world. The traffic noise was muted and she could hear the birds calling to one another. She wandered over to a bench and slumped down. Very “Julia Roberts” she thought, but without the benefit of a Hugh Grant. She knew that she would only feel better after she had had a long talk with Spike. And tell him what? How did she feel about him? She shook her head in confusion. Time for some serious thought.

It was getting near noon when she finally came out of her oasis of calm and made her way back to the house, mind made up. She would tell Spike that she would like to know him better, perhaps go on a few dates or something, she was unclear about the details. It didn’t do to make too many plans where he was concerned, because you never knew exactly how he would react to anything. She was feeling a lot happier now that she had made up her mind.

Just as she entered by the front door, Spike breezed down the stairs. Her heart did a little dance in her chest as she saw him. “Um, Spike can I have a few words with you.” She said a little breathlessly.

“S’allright Slayer, me and Hilda want a few words with all of you.” And he loped straight past her into the living room.

She stared after him, what was he talking about? She followed him and was just in time to see Spike go over to the witch and raise her hand to his lips. “Hey, Hilda, how are you love? All rested after last night?”

There was a hush and all eyes centred upon them. Hilda felt like a nervous schoolgirl after those ill chosen words – they might be misconstrued. Then she looked at Spike who was grinning maliciously at the others, obviously having a whale of a time. “Will you tell ‘em or shall I, Pet?”

“Tell us what?” asked Giles stiffly.

Not giving the witch time to reply, Spike said, “I asked Hilda if I could go and live with her, and she said okay.”

They all spoke at once:

“Oh dear.” The professor said

“What?” Giles gasped.

“Huh?” Buffy whispered unbelievingly.

“Yeah, well I’m sick and tired of you all treating me like a second class citizen. Hilda sees me and accepts me for what I am.”

“A murdering psychopath!” Giles shouted. “Are you stark, staring mad, woman? How has he made you do this? I can’t believe an intelligent woman like you could fall for his dubious charm.”

He would have continued to rant, but the witch held up her hand and said, “I’m surprised that an intelligent man like you, can’t get over your prejudices and see what he is really like. And for the record I haven’t “fallen for him” - I enjoy his company.” With that, she swept from the room and up the stairs.

“Whoo, she really told you, didn’t she mate!” Spike crowed, and smirking, followed the witch.

Buffy was numb. How could this have happened? Just as she made up her mind to let him in, he walked away – and with another woman, although she couldn’t take Hilda as a rival seriously. She must be old enough……. the thought trickled away, as the realisation of how old Spike must be, hit her.