Buffy gazed down at the vampire resting on her lap. Blood was still seeping from his ears and nose and, although he was deeply unconscious, he was twitching and trembling, obviously still in great pain.

“Here”, the professor held out a damp towel, “put it over the wound.”

Without looking she put out her hand, and when he passed it to her, began to wipe Spike’s face.

“I meant it for you.” Mackness said wryly.

“What? Oh, yeah, I’d forgotten.” Buffy put the cloth to the bite on her neck and rubbed at it absently.

“How on earth can you forget being bitten by a vampire?” He asked, shaking his head. “He looks as though he’s reverted to a feral state. Don’t you think we should put him out of his misery? I could give him a simple injection and he’ll just slip away, won’t feel a thing.”

His breath caught in his throat as he saw her expression.

“You don’t touch him! If he needs dusting, I do it – nobody else!” Her voice echoed round the cell, “He tried to warn me, before the spell got too much for him. We have to find a way to help him that doesn’t include ending his existence.”

She didn’t seem to register the tears which, as they slid down her cheeks, dropped on the face of the creature lying on her knees. Buffy looked up and saw the professor’s stricken expression. “Look, I’m sorry you got involved in this. Why don’t you go home now, Giles can’t be much longer, we can take over from here”

Mackness was stung that she thought so little of him. He had seen the attack on the monitor in his office and had rushed down to the cell, only to find the vampire was unconscious. The other day, Buffy had seemed disgusted when he had suggested that there might be a connection between herself and the vampire, now she was distraught at his injuries even though he had attacked her. It was completely beyond him.

“I’ll stay if it’s all the same to you – do a bit of research. You never know I might come in useful at some stage.” He said in a dignified voice, only spoiled a little by a slight tremor.

The young woman seemed to forget him as soon as she looked away. In fact, she seemed only to be aware of the demon and was stroking its face. In spite of himself, the professor was fascinated. He hadn’t seen Spike’s game face before, the vampire had seemed to have absolute control – and now all that control had gone. He shuddered at the thought of what it could have done to this beautiful girl, had it not been restrained.

“I’ll be in my office if you need me. And please, if he shows signs of waking up; get out of here as quickly as you can.” The professor was unsure that she’d heard anything he’d said. He made his way back to his office and sat watching the monitor for any sign of the vampire attacking again.

Buffy gently brushed her fingers over the ridges on the vampire’s forehead and marvelled that she felt none of the revulsion and hatred of the past years, only concern and – and – she forced herself to complete the thought – and the beginnings of love. The last barrier round her heart was broken. Examining him closely for the first time, she saw him, really saw him, game face and all – not just the vampire, but the man. He was, even in this state, extremely attractive and when he was showing his “human” face, he was beautiful. Her heart seemed to squeeze and falter as she studied him.

He had loved her, she now knew it to be true - and she had thrown it in his face. Not surprising that he had finally given up, with all the physical and verbal abuse that she’d heaped on him. Now all he wanted was to be with the witch. She sighed, overcome with regret and sadness.

But it didn’t mean that she couldn’t help him, fight for him. She found that she was filled with steely determination. She would find a way to protect him. She had to.

She glanced down to the ward at Spike’s throat and she noticed that the crystal was no longer glowing, and that the vampire was lying completely still. Suddenly, she heard a growl and realised that his golden eyes were open and he was staring up at her expressionlessly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the pain receded, the vampire slowly regained consciousness. He became aware that something was dreadfully wrong. He could feel that he was leaning against a warm, living, breathing being, but he was in absolute silence. That was impossible. He should be able to hear the intake of breath and the beating of a pulse. But there was nothing. Fear slowly filled him, when he made another terrible discovery – his senses of smell and taste had vanished too. He also realised that he was under some kind of restraint; he could feel the pressure of metal bands round his wrists, and then the terrifying realisation that he didn’t know who he was.

Something hot and wet dropped on to his cheek and it was only by a supreme force of will that he remained motionless. OK, he was deaf, had no sense of smell/taste and he felt as though he had been beaten with a steak tenderiser. Was he blind too? What kind of predator could he be now?

He fought the impulse to open his eyes, but his need to know what threat he faced, outweighed everything else. He snapped them open with an unheard growl and found himself looking up into the face of a beautiful human woman. Her lips moved silently and she gave him a heart-stopping smile. Without thought, he tried to raise his hand to wipe off the tears that were streaming down her face, but was brought short by a chain attached to his wrists. She spoke again and drew her hand through his hair. He tried to speak to her, but distressingly, couldn’t even hear his own voice.

His gaze slid down to her throat. She had a bite on her neck and, with a jolt; he saw that it was his mark! He looked back up into her eyes in confusion. Had he attacked her and she had been able to capture him somehow? No, that wasn’t right – she was looking at him with such love. She must be his mate – but she was human! Why the hell couldn’t he remember this gorgeous female, and why was he under restraint? Was she a prisoner too? If so, why wasn’t she chained? The thoughts and questions tumbled around his head, making him dizzy. She was still smiling down at him and, crazily, he felt comforted. He tried to blink away the black spots that swam into his vision, but felt himself fall back into unconsciousness.


TBC

Thank you, thank you all you wonderful reviewers! It makes my day reading them and replying. Next chapter tomorrow, hopefully