Buffy stood under the shower and thought about what had just happened. She smiled smugly, what a wonderful lover he was. So different from what she had expected – though she didn’t know quite what she had expected. He had been so intuitive, seeming to know what she wanted seconds before she knew herself. Tender yet strong, he had satisfied her in a way no other man had before. It was going to be a strain trying to hide their feelings from Giles, though knowing Spike; he’d get some fun out of it.

Reluctantly stepping out of the warm water, she dried and dressed herself, humming under her breath.

Suddenly, there was a loud noise and the magical barrier disappeared. Filled with apprehension, Buffy ran towards the entrance.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike dressed slowly, while waiting his turn in the shower – wouldn’t do for the Watcher to witness his nakedness. He flung himself down on the bed, clasped his hands behind his head and grinned, as he thought about the events of the last hours. Buffy was just as he had imagined – no she was a hundred times better. With his severely limited experience of human females - he had had sex with many of them, but it had meant nothing to him, just a prelude to a nice meal – he had seemed to know just what to do. Instinct, he supposed. No, just sheer genius, he thought in self-mockery.

He was just about to see if Buffy needed any help in washing or drying herself, when there was a loud noise, and the magical barrier disappeared. The vampire was filled with intense rage and fear, as he made his way towards the entrance.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When Buffy got to the entrance, she grinned in relief when she saw Giles standing there, and her grin broadened, when he stepped aside and revealed the figures of Willow and Tara, standing just behind him. She flung her arms round Willow, and then jumped back when a rage-filled roar sounded behind them. Spike, in game face, was stalking down the corridor. Willow raised a shaking hand reflexively and said, “repel” and the vampire flew backwards through the air, to crash into the wall.

Buffy looked at him in horror – it looked as though he had been turned into that mindless, feral vampire from before. The witches must have got a spell through when the barrier was down. He was lying stunned for the moment, but she knew that he would not take long to recover.

“Quickly,” she said, “get into the office and don’t leave unless I tell you.”

“Here!” Giles tossed a stake towards her and she caught it without thinking. “Are you sure you’ll be OK?”

She nodded grimly, and they hastily retreated into the office.

Spike getting to his feet, his mind filled with bewildered rage, watched the humans disappear into another room and then brought his attention to the lone female before him. It was the same beautiful woman who had comforted him when he was a helpless prisoner, with only half his senses. What had happened? What was this place? He tried hard, but couldn’t remember.

Buffy approached him, sick at heart, and braced herself for what she knew she had to do. He made no attempt to attack, but was looking at her, his head slightly tilted. He looked even more puzzled when she said, “I’m sorry Spike,” and, tossing the stake aside, hit him as hard as she could. He crashed into the wall again, but sprang up with a snarl. She hit him again and again, as he brought his arms up in a half-hearted attempt to protect himself. She feinted with her left fist and then punched him hard in the stomach. As he folded, she brought her knee up and struck his chin. This time, he stayed down much longer, eventually staggering to his feet and shaking his head. She beat him mercilessly, until he could no longer stand. He still had not touched her.

She kneeled over him, grasped the front of his shirt and pulled him up. “You are mine!” she grated. Then, some primitive instinct telling her what to do, she tangled her fingers in his hair, dragged his head to one side and before she could think about it, bit down as hard as she could on his neck. His blood flooded into her mouth, and it was all she could do not to vomit. She said again, “you are mine! Say it!”

His bloodshot golden eyes met hers. He raised a shaking finger to her face, and wiped some of the blood that was dripping down from her lips. He brought it to his mouth and licked the blood off. He swallowed hard and whispered, “I am yours.”

The vampire gazed up at this strong, glorious warrior who had claimed him and rescued him from a strange and frightening world. It was no shame to a vampire, submitting to a superior female. He had swallowed the blood and, although technically it was his own, it didn’t matter, he’d completed the ritual.

Buffy nearly lost it when his bleeding and broken mouth stretched into a smile and he asked. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Buffy,” she smiled at him sadly.

“And do you know who I am?” He asked, and was horrified when her face twisted and she began to sob. He had no idea why she was so upset, only that he had to be the cause of it. Had he hurt her in some way, maybe eaten one of her human companions? Her head drooped down, so he cautiously put his arms loosely around her and laid his forehead against hers, trying to give her some comfort.

Buffy took a long, shaky breath and told him he was called Spike. He nodded in acceptance, but showed no recognition. She straightened and, wiping her face roughly, told him to stay where he was. She made her way slowly towards the office.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A quartet of anxious, worried faces greeted her.

“What have you done?” Hilda asked, terrified of what the answer might be.

“He’s still alive – or undead, don’t worry.” Buffy said tiredly and then explained what had happened.

“You bit him?” Willow whispered. “How did you know what to do?”

“I don’t know, it just seemed right at the time. Maybe some of the research Giles made me read actually sank in.”

“Was that wise Buffy? “ Giles asked her. “It might be for the best if you staked him.”

“No-one is staking him!” Buffy said harshly, “it’s not his fault. He didn’t even fight back – he just let me beat him to a pulp. I don’t understand.” She felt the tears well up again.

“He loves you, even in this state, it’s the only explanation” said Hilda her voice filled with wonder.

“Loves her! Don’t be foolish, the only person Spike loves is Spike.” Giles removed his glasses and began polishing them.

“Oh, for goodness sake Rupert wake up! Spike has loved Buffy for years.”

There was an uncomfortable silence, while they all avoided each other’s eyes. Then Buffy went to the door.

“I’ll go and get him. Make sure he understands not to attack any of you.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy brought the vampire into the office, and he was gratified at the nervous way they looked at him.

She introduced each of them one by one.

“This is Willow. She is my friend; if you hurt her you hurt me.”

Buffy lifted his hand up and put it on the witch’s shoulder. Willow gave him a shaky smile and tried not to flinch away. Buffy repeated the exercise with each of them. When she got to Giles, Spike growled low in his chest and tried to resist putting his hand anywhere near the human. Buffy insisted, and reluctantly Spike submitted, still growling.

Buffy then led the vampire over to the bed and sat him down. She fetched the first aid box and began to tend to his face.

Spike sat and endured the smelly, stinging cloth that was being wiped over his features, because it meant that she was near him. His anchor, in this bewildering place. When she had finished and was about to leave him, he took her hand and looked at her questioningly, seeming to ask her permission for something. She smiled at him and he brought her hand to his lips and began to lick her bruised and cut knuckles. She made to drag her hand away, but when she saw his hurt expression, she smiled again and he resumed. Buffy didn’t know whether to be revolted or charmed by his actions.

When she rejoined the others, his eyes never left her.


TBC

I hope you're still liking this?