Buffy sat in the sunshine, her head spinning; she was feeling stranger by the minute. There was a peculiar pulling sensation in her chest, which she rubbed absently. What should she do? Suddenly she knew that she had to get back – now! She sprang to her feet and moved swiftly back towards the tunnels, she had to face her problems, not run away from them. In rhythm to the pad of her feet she was chanting in her mind “what shall I do? What shall I do?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike felt as though someone had put an iron band round his chest and was slowly tightening it. If only she’d come back and put him out of his misery, one way or another.

The “big bad” façade that he’d nurtured all these years had completely deserted him now and he felt naked without it. Hilda, taking the hint that he wanted some time on his own, had left. He didn’t want anyone to witness Buffy’s rejection of him, or his dusty demise.

After all, why would she want to be tied to him for the rest of her life? Sure, they’d had a wonderful time – the sex had been spectacular – but she hadn’t said that she loved him. In fact, she had avoided any mention of love. The vampire groaned to himself – why the hell did he have to fall for a slayer?

He heard the door open and suddenly she was there. The pain in his chest increased. Buffy saw him slouching on the bunk, staring back at her insolently.

“Well slayer. Come to tell me my fate have you? Come on then, sodding well get it over with.”

A short time ago, this would have earned him a punch on the nose, or at least a sarcastic reply. But now, she seemed to see him, really see him for the first time. He thought she was going to hurt him, so he was lashing out at her as a defence mechanism. How did she get such insight? It had to be the bond.

She reached down, grabbed hold of the front of his t-shirt and hauled him to his feet.

“Come on, let’s go.”

“Hey! What’re you doing?”

“I want everyone to hear this.”

She transferred her hold to his hand and pulled him towards the door. He made as if to argue, then his shoulders slumped and he allowed her to lead him into the office.

The witches and Giles stopped their conversation and stared at the two standing in the doorway.

“I think it’s best if everyone hears this at the same time.” Buffy squared her shoulders. “I’ve somehow managed to bind myself to this vampire for life – don’t know how I did it – but it’s a fact. I had to get away to think about it and come to my decision.”

Buffy heard the vampire take a deep, unnecessary breath and she tightened her hold on his hand.

“And now I know what I have to do.”

She could feel Spike at her side vibrating with tension.

“I love him and want to be with him for the rest of my life, however long that is.”

She turned and watched the change of expression on Spike’s face. It went from shock, followed by disbelief, cautious hope and then sheer amazement. Then he gave her such a look of fathomless love that it took her breath away.

“Buffy. Love.” Was all he could manage before he caught her up in his arms and held her to his breast. She gently disentangled herself and turned to the others again.

“He completes me. We are soul mates.”

Buffy, he doesn’t *have* a soul!” Giles said desperately.

“Yes he does. He has mine. He won’t do anything to hurt me.”

“You say that as if you know it.”

“I do, Giles, I do.”

“Do you also know that the chip is no longer functional?”

Giles could see by Buffy’s reaction that she’d had no idea. She paused for a second and then said, “It makes no difference – I trust him.” Spike’s arms snaked around her waist.

Giles gave a bark of humourless laughter, “Don’t you realise, that this is just a spell. Like the last time you and Spike……” He couldn’t continue past the lump in his throat. Buffy had tuned him out and was now talking softly to the vampire. What sort of watcher was he to have allowed this to happen? He made his way to a chair and sank down on it.

“I’ll never do anything that hurts her you know.” Spike had moved so silently that the watcher started with surprise. “The bond works both ways.”

“Forgive me if I’m not jumping with joy.” Giles said bitterly and then he straightened, “I’ll find a way of breaking this bond if it’s the last thing I do.”

“You can’t mate, the only way it breaks is if one of us dies – and I’m guessing that you’re not about to off Buffy. So that leaves me. Do you think that it’ll make her happy if you dust me?” Spike asked seriously.

Giles’ glared at him without replying. Spike shrugged. Well he’d tried to mend fences, build bridges and what all. The fact that the watcher hated him had never worried the vampire before – he was just one of many. But he knew it would hurt Buffy. Still she couldn’t say he hadn’t tried.

He made his way back to his slayer who was chatting with the witches.

“Well Buffy, if you’re sure that’s what you want, of course I’ll be supportive girl.” Willow grinned nervously at Spike as he put his arm round Buffy’s shoulders. “I, I, I, er I’ll be all supporting.” She retreated to stand with Tara, who rubbed her arm comfortingly.

“Why’d you put me through that in front of everyone?” Spike asked curiously.

“They all needed to see your reaction first hand. Giles especially.”

“So you knew what it’d be then?” When all she did was to raise an eyebrow, he said, “Yeah, well.” And shuffled his feet and gave her a sheepish grin.

He thought of telling her about his little talk with the watcher, but then thought better of it. She’d find out soon enough. Suddenly they both became ultra alert.

“Vampires.”

“Yeah, luv, quite a few I’d guess.”

Giles saw their reaction from the other side of the room. Then he caught the word “vampire” and he swiftly picked up a crossbow and ran after them.

By the time he reached the entrance to the tunnels he could hear the sound of battle. Buffy and Spike were surrounded by vampires and were in full fighting mode. Giles gazed upon them in wonder; they were in total synchronisation, each fluid movement mirrored by the other. They looked as though they had been fighting vamps together for years. It was almost as if they were dancing.

Then he saw Spike falter. He must still be suffering from the after effects of his wounds and he staggered as a blow from a tall, burly vamp reached his chest. Another vampire took the chance to rush at him brandishing an axe. Buffy appeared to be unaware of the attack. As Giles looked on, everything seemed to go into slow motion. If someone else dusted Spike, she couldn’t blame her watcher could she? He’d be very supportive and understanding of her grief, perhaps it would even make them closer?

Sickened by his thoughts, Giles came to a decision, raised the crossbow and shot the axe bearing vamp. He felt curiously numb for a second, but after that was too busy defending himself to worry.

At last the witches joined in the fray and before long the fight was over.

Giles made another decision and acted upon it before he could change his mind. He strode towards the slayer and her vampire.

“You call that fighting?” he asked abruptly. They gaped at him. “I call it a disgrace! When we get back to Sunnydale, I expect to see you both at the Magic Box for training.” And with that he turned on his heel and marched back down the tunnel muttering under his breath.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


TBC

Thanks to Rosie, Pam S & Kim for your encouraging feedback