________________________________________________


The coven witches had finally departed, taking their disgraced colleagues with them. They agreed to wait for Hilda’s return before they made any decisions about Alice and Jane.

“What will happen to them?” Willow asked

“We’ll have to have a conference and perhaps invite some witches from another coven, but I think the only thing we can do is to strip them of their powers.”

Willow shuddered, “That’s - that’s not of the good.” She turned to Tara and they shared a horrified look.

“I know, but what else can we do?” Hilda said sadly. “They misused their power and nearly killed everyone; we can’t possibly take the risk that they won’t do it again, given the chance.”

“Oh, I totally agree, I do. But just the thought of being without any magic at all – it’s just the worst thing I could think of.” Willow whispered, feeling a little nauseous.

“Well, l-let that b-be a lesson to all of us.” Tara spoke firmly. Willow stared at her, wide-eyed. “As Hilda says, all m-magic has consequences and it would be so easy just to let it take over.”

Willow was saved from having to reply, when Spike and Buffy came into the room, and all conversation stopped.

“Spike!” “Your hair!” Hilda gasped. “It’s gone!”

“Yeah. Good job I’m devastatingly handsome enough to carry it off, innit?”

The others seemed to have lost the capability of speech, so he smirked at them and sauntered off after his slayer. He saw her sitting in an easy chair, staring sightlessly out of a window.

“Buffy?”

When she made no move, the vampire spoke again, “Sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

“Oh, uh, nothing – just thinking is all. You know being thinky girl.” She was avoiding his gaze and this troubled him.

“Come on pet, you can tell ol’ Spike.” He knelt between her knees and cupped her cheek in his left hand. She sighed and leaned into his touch.

“Its just that this vacation..” she was interrupted by his snort of derision. “Yeah, I know – I’m not going to forget it in a hurry! But in a crazy way, I’m going to miss this.” She gestured vaguely around the room. “I haven’t had time to sit and think about it before and now, well, I’m getting kinda scared that when we get back it’ll all have changed – or worse, still be the same.”

She looked at him with tear-filled eyes.

“What does that mean?” Spike felt a stab of fear. Was she regretting their bond? Had it not affected her? It was, after all, intended for two vampires, not a vamp and a human. Was this her way of saying that she didn’t want to be his mate when they got back to the States?

Buffy, when she saw his confused and fearful expression, thought back over what she’d said. “Oh Spike, I don’t know what I mean.” She took a deep breath. “I was just thinking that all the old problems will still be there, you know vamps, demons and mad goddesses, and maybe it’ll feel like I’ve never been away.”

His face cleared, “Buffy, you’re not on your own now. I’ll always be here to watch your back – come what may.”

She smiled. “Everything’s so simple for you, I envy that.”

“No pet, it is simple – you make it too sodding complicated.” He grinned to take the sting out of the words. “Anyway, it’s no use worrying about something that might never happen. There’ll be plenty of time to do that, when it does.” He hauled her to her feet and kissed her tenderly.

He was right, it’d be good to have someone always there to share trouble and triumph with. Comforted, she kissed him back enthusiastically.


_____________________________________________


Finally, everything was packed and they were all ready to leave. Spike had been persuaded to wear the outfit that Buffy had bought for him. The obligatory photograph was taken and he was privately pleased with the way he looked. The navy shirt and jeans brought out the colour of his eyes perfectly, but, for forms sake, he had to make a fuss, muttering about sodding nancy boys and the like.

Rolling her eyes, Buffy thrust her suitcases into his hands and marched out.

“Sodding hell, woman! What’ve you got in here? You been collecting lead weights?” Grinning, he hefted the bags and followed her out.

It was agreed that Buffy and Spike should travel separately in case the Council were still watching for them. They embraced and kissed quickly then the Slayer got into Giles’ car with Willow and Tara. “See you at the airport.” Buffy had time to wave and then she was gone.

Spike sighed. He felt a physical wrench as the distance between them lengthened and wondered whether Buffy felt it too. He turned and walked over to the car where Hilda and the professor waited for him.

“Okay, let’s go.”

Spike fiddled with the car radio until he found a station he liked, and then sat tapping his fingers restlessly. Hilda glanced over at him, “It’s not for long.” She said consolingly.

He looked back at her and managed a grin, “It gets harder to be apart, the longer we’re together. Must be something to do with the bond, dunno much about it – but I guess I will, as time goes by.” He was silent for a while and then he turned to the witch, “You still gonna make a new ward for me?”

“Yes, I’ve been thinking about that. I’ll have to do some research to see if there are any protection spells specially for vampires. I’ve never heard of such a thing, but then I’ve never had occasion to want one.” She grinned over at him, “I’ve only ever had the need for protection against vampires.”

He smiled at her softly, “You’re a good friend Hilda, I’m really glad I met you.”

Hilda was grateful for the darkness, as a flush stained her cheeks and her eyes filled with tears. She swallowed hard and said “I’m glad I met you too.”

Only too soon for the witch, they entered the airport car park.

“We’ll park in the next bay and wait for them to leave. You can meet up with Buffy once you’re through customs.”

Hilda switched off the engine and they watched Buffy, the witches and the Watcher unload the hire car. Spike saw a movement and suddenly the group were surrounded by dark suited men.

“Bloody hell.” Spike struggled with the door trying to get to his Slayer.

“Wait!” Hilda hissed at him, “Let’s see what happens first.”

Reluctantly Spike subsided and watched anxiously.


___________________________________________________




TBC

Kimmie, Angie, Kim and Cordykitten – thanks for your comments, I appreciate them all.