Author's Chapter Notes:
As always, many thanks to cloviss and nightshift, my betas - my friends.
Chapter 38 ~ Peril

Binne’s eye was on the prize. He watched out the dorm hall window and saw the tasty morsel from the slayer’s cottage come up the walk. MacGregor was with her. He could be a problem. Men weren’t allowed in the dorm, but MacGregor was one of the guards and the guard on the door might let him see her to her door. All Binne could do was wait and see. He was never any good at sizing up the stuff of other men. MacGregor always struck him as a lightweight. Still, it never hurt to be prepared. He scanned the corridor. If this dorm was set up like the others, there should be a pay phone somewhere along the hall. The ever kind and helpful Mr. Giles, always considerate of the girls’ needs saw to it that there was a table, chair and notepad nearby each phone.

Binnemon strolled the length of the passageway until he spied what he sought. To avoid making an unnecessary ruckus, he gently turned the small wooden table over on itself and pulled off one of the legs. He then broke the leg over his knee and smiled as he came up with two very nice wooden stakes. If MacGregor showed any evidence of being a problem, he would dispatch him … one, two, three. Satisfied, Binne went back to the window to watch and wait.
~~~

Being a tall girl, Dawn wasn’t used to being dwarfed by a gentleman companion, but alongside MacGregor, she felt tiny, and she liked it. She remembered what it was like when she was a teenager and all the boys in her class were short. She felt like a giant. Even now, most of the guys she dated were average size and she nearly matched them at five foot, ten inches. MacGregor had to be at least six foot, four. If he put his arm around me, I’d just fit under his arm. Mmmmm. That must be how Buffy feels in Spike’s arms. Buffy’s right though. He is a vampire and I’m some kind of mystic essence … I mean, what would the children look like? Dawn giggled.

MacGregor smiled at her. Oops. I don’t even know what he was saying. Must … pay … attention!

“So meeting Spike turned out to be a grand thing for me, indeed. We’ve become fast friends, I think. I can’t seem to make friends with his lady though,” MacGregor said. Suddenly saddened, he continued, “I suspect it’s the accent. It’s been a problem all my life.” He brightened, “Not with you, though.”

Dawn smiled and felt supremely guilty. She did like him. He’s all sorts of good, but he’s way old. The age thing is really weird. Chances are I’m actually as old as time, but any memories only go back about seventeen years … around my third birthday. Thanks, monks.

“Well, Miss Dawn, looks like we’ve reached our destination. Do you want me to see you to your door?” They were standing on the front steps. He saw Dawn glance at the front door of the building and added, “I mean your inside door.”

Dawn chuckled. “You are just so cute. If you could blush, I think you would.”

MacGregor had never been called cute or anything even approaching it. “I’m afraid I don’t know what to say.”

It was weird to be the experienced one. As if … “You don’t have to say anything, MacGregor. You’re sweet.” She took a deep breath, glanced in the window and saw the guard at the desk in the lobby and said, “No, the guard is at his desk. I’ll just check in with him and go to my room. Thanks much for seeing me home.”

MacGregor leaned in for a kiss (he was expecting to settle for a peck on the cheek) and was surprised when Dawn deflected even that chaste good night. Disappointed, he accepted the hug and enjoyed the moment. “It was a pleasure to have some time alone with you Dawn. Perhaps we may do something like this again sometime.”

“Maybe, but I’m leaving Sunday. You’re pals with Spike now, so you’re part of the family. I’ll see you again. Good night, now,” Dawn said as she disappeared into the dormitory.

“Good night,” answered MacGregor. He watched the door close and waited until it clicked in finality. She was gone. MacGregor pulled his collar up and thrust his hands in his pockets. Who said vamps don’t feel the cold? He shook his head and thought, just different kinds of cold.

~~~~
Binnemon was bored near tears. He could almost taste that sweet, warm, human blood and was primed for a fight with that silly Scot. It was torture sitting still in the stairwell waiting for the girl’s footfall as she began her ascent.

Finally! He stepped forward. “Good evenin,’ miss. Can I be helpin’ with anything?” Binnemon said, thickening his Irish accent.

Dawn was startled. Where did this guy come from? She stopped abruptly and said, “Good evening,” and raised her hands showing him she didn’t need help. “No. Thanks anyway.” Dismissing him, she brushed past him down the hall.

Close on her heels, Binnemon said, “I don’t mean to be a bother, but sometimes the doors stick and all, and I thought I could help you with it.”

Annoyed now, Dawn said, “No help. No problem last night. Don’t expect one tonight.” God, this guy is creepy. She started toward her door and then changed her mind as she started feeling the little hairs standing up on the back of her neck. Something isn’t right about this guy. Something I should be remembering. I’ll walk briskly down the hall, down the stairs at the opposite end of the hall right back to the guard on the desk downstairs. It was a good plan. One moment too late.

Binnemon blocked her way, raised his arm and pointed the way to her door. No longer the friendly old gent, he said, “Open it.”

Properly indignant, Dawn said, “Excuse me? Just who do you think you are? Do you know who I am?”
She thought that might be a bit pretentious, but what the heck, this seemed like the right time to let this guy know who her sister is.

“Oh yes, miss. I know exactly who you are. All the more reason to eat you, my dear.” He laughed at his own little joke. Big Bad Wolf, indeed! His fangs descended and Dawn heard the familiar crunch as the bones of his face changed. Enjoying the sudden shock on her face and breathing in the fear she couldn’t hide, his voice became a predatory growl, “Open it.”

“Oookay, then. Whatever you say.” Great! The monks couldn’t have given me a little sisterly slayer instinct so at least I’d know a vampire before it was too late? Dawn recollected the things she had heard about the suspected killer. Too bad she hadn’t paid attention. Shit! … Memo to self, she thought. A little less thinking about myself and a lot more listening. OK, think fast, Dawnster.

“See now, isn’t that better? I thought we might have a nice chat?” This time his voice was a soft brogue.

As she opened the door, her mind was scrambling. She switched on the light and glanced around looking for something to use as a weapon. Metal fucking furniture? Not a piece of wood in the place. Come on, Dawn. It’s not like you haven’t seen a vamp before. OK, no weapons, Buffy always said I could talk my way out of almost anything, let’s see if she was right.

“Chat? Just what do I have to talk to a stinking, fat, undead thing about? I know something about vampires. They don’t all smell like three-day-old fish heads. Have some pride, man.”

Binnemon’s eyes glowed yellow. Dawn had seen lots of vampire faces and this was one pissed off vampire. Tone down the insults. Think Dawn. OK girl, start talkin’. “Um, alrighty then, there’s a chair over there. Make yourself comfortable. I’m sorry, I don’t have anything to offer you.” Dawn threw her purse on the bed and sat on the bed. She kicked off her shoes and said, “What can I do for you?” That sounds like I’m in charge of the situation, right?

Binnemon had to admit this was a clever girl. He was in no hurry. He casually closed the door and locked it. “I’m a vampire, but you know that already, don’t you? I been hearin’ that there’s a slayer in the area. I guessed she was the one who was livin’ in that cottage, but now I’m not so sure. Maybe you’re the slayer.”

With the door closed, the odor of decay was overwhelming. Dawn gagged and tried breathing through her mouth. Just great, now I know what death tastes like too. Dawn couldn’t help the dripping sarcasm, “Oh yeah, I’m the slayer.”

Binnemon jumped up. “I knew it!”

Oh God, this is worse than I thought. He thinks I’m Buffy and he thinks he’s going to be the vampire who offs the slayer. She reached for her bag for a tissue or a hanky. Anything to cover the smell. Then she remembered. Pencils. I have pencils in my bag. Dawn reached for her bag.

Binnemon was quicker and eased himself toward her knocking the purse to the floor. She’s already on the bed, no where to go from there. The girl will have to go through me to get to the door. “This is too delicious,” he said. “You want to know the funny thing? I never knew there was a slayer until a short while ago and now I’m gonna be the one to kill her. You have nothing to lose, or gain for that matter, so why not answer a question for me. Are you the only one?”

Fuck! Just my luck to be killed by the dumbest vampire ever. Dawn slithered away from him, backing against the wall. Sounding as fearless as she could, she said, “And wouldn’t you just like to know?”

“Ahh, so we’re not going to be friends … All right, straight to it then.”

Dawn squirmed.

“Now, now my pretty, little thing, this need not be unpleasant.” His icy hand caressed her ankle and crept slowly up her leg. “If you relax, you’ll feel a warm, erotic surge as your life begins to ebb.” He slid his hand under her skirt and stretched his fingers to stroke the silk of her panties as he just kept talking. Binnemon’s voice was soft and lilting. It didn’t matter what he said. It was mesmerizing and Dawn was falling under his spell. Worse yet, she knew it. She felt disconnected, calm and peaceful. She tried to focus. C’mon Dawn, shape up … but his hands are cool … it feels good.

Binnemon lay down on the single bed and gently pulled Dawn away from her position against the wall. Dawn was pliable in his hands. He placed his hand behind her head and gently lay her down beside him. He pulled himself up to position himself for the final approach. He wanted her blood but her sweet young quim was calling him too.

This can’t be happening. Don’t let this happen, Dawnie …have to do something …where were those pencils? God, Buffy … where are you when I need you? How could I be so stupid? I can’t let this happen … There must be something. Dawn reached inside herself.

Binnemon slid his hand farther into her panties. They troubled him and with one quick grasp, they were gone. His nails were extended and he sought her clit to tease her as he opened his mouth and prepared to bite, his fetid breath on her face.

In a heartbeat, the air was still, compressing, molding into something intangible. Binnemon felt it and lifted his head and looked around the room. Something was amiss. No one else was there. The room began to glow in a greenish tinge as the weight of the air pressed down on him. “What the fuck?”

The explosion rocked the whole of Gloucestershire.

~~~

Buffy stood in the door and watched Giles and Leah as they made their way to Giles’ car. It was heartwarming to see him so comfortable with a woman again. To her knowledge, there hadn’t been anyone since Jenny. That’s a long time for anyone. Although he was alone as long as she’d known him … except for Jenny … which was ridiculously brief, she knew in her heart that he was never meant to be alone forever. She smiled and wondered if it really were true or just that she and Spike were so happy, she wanted to believe that there was someone out there for everyone. Buffy watched Giles open Leah’s door and carefully tuck her coat in behind her. It was such a sweet gesture. She turned and went back into the cottage, closing and locking the door behind her. This has to have been one of the longest and strangest days of my life … she laughed … and for me that’s saying something. Somebody is listening to me … well; I’ll just give them something to listen to. She thought for a minute and then burst into song as she puttered around clearing the table and doing the washing up. She smiled as she struggled a little to remember all the words to the “Star Spangled Banner.”

She was carrying an overstuffed tray with all the dessert things to the kitchen when the blast from the explosion blew out all the windows in the cottage. Buffy dropped the tray and threw herself to the floor, covering her head with her arms. She lay for a moment, waiting for more. When it didn’t come, she got up, carefully dusting shards of glass and pottery from her clothing. It was pitch dark. All the lights had been blown out and it sounded like every siren and car alarm in the world was screaming.

~~~

Carruthers was startled as he saw Inspector Arthur approaching him outside the command vehicle. “Sir, is there something new? The lads inside knew that I was out here and haven’t said anything.”

“No Jack. I couldn’t settle myself after leaving. This whole thing has got me bumfuzzled. I decided I needed to be here in case anything breaks.”

“I understand.” Unbidden, the sergeant decided to give Inspector Arthur a report on what was happening. “Well sir, it hasn’t been boring. They’re an interesting lot, I’ll give them that.”

“Go on, sergeant.”

“Right then. The girl is the only one left in the cottage. The rest have all gone off. Each of them has a member of the patrol on their tail. Nothing unusual, so far. Before they parted, there was talk of opening some sort of relic and studying it.”

“Perhaps something that might hide evidence?”

“Oh no, sir. It didn’t sound like that at all. Of course, I could be wrong.”

“I rather doubt it, Carruthers. Your instincts are spot on.” Arthur said. “Anything else?”

“Yessir, the tones of the voices indicated that there was a squabble between a few of them. Straight away then, two of them left. Then there was a loud ruckus in the carpark. As near as we can surmise, one of them was showing off his new sound system in his car. It was loud enough that it kept us from hearing what they said. Then the whole lot came out, danced, and laughed a bit. They only broke up a short while ago.”

“Clever lot. They’ve made us, sergeant.” The inspector stepped toward the command vehicle. He asked, “Tea inside?”

“Yes sir!” Carruthers replied as he opened the door for his superior.

The earth shook. Arthur and Carruthers were slammed together away from the caravan. It flipped over onto its side, the men and women inside screaming for their lives. Electric sparks, beeps, and whistles of every sort emanated from the vehicle. The world went black. Every light was extinguished in the blast and adding to the confusion, sirens and alarms were singing in a cacophony of noise.

~~~

Having checked himself for broken parts and finding none, Xander said, “Jesus Spike, you look like hell.” In the darkness, Xander was glad he always carried his pocket flashlight. He’d taken a lot of ribbing for it. Holding his hands at the ready, scanning Spike’s wounds, he felt helpless. “What can I do for you? I’m afraid to touch you.”

Spike’s face was contorted in pain, his jaw twitching as he tried to maintain control. Blood bubbled and streamed from his mouth as he lay slung backward over a park bench with his arms splayed out as if he were on a cross. Blood puddled in his ears. Xander noted that he was no longer pale, but gray.

With clenched teeth Spike said, “Go to Dawn. Dawn needs you.”

“MacGregor is with Dawn. He’ll take care of her.”

Spike slowly closed his eyes as though it were an effort to keep them open. Xander gasped, thinking Spike was dead. Damned vampires don’t breathe. If a person dies, they stop breathing. In the same second he remembered Buffy’s mantra. If he’s not dust, he’s not dead.

Spike groaned, “MacGregor isn’t a warrior. Dawn needs you.”

“Thanks, man. That’s nice, but I can’t leave you here like this. Tell me what to do.”

Spike struggled to understand why Xander just wouldn’t listen to him. Mustering what little strength he had, he said, “Buffy will be here any second. I know that, and you know it too. Xander, something bad is happening to Dawn. I can feel it. Christ, I can smell it.”

“OK, OK. I get it. I’ll go.”

Spike struggled to say one more thing. “If it’ll make you feel any better, I can hear Buffy coming. Now GO.”

Xander was at odds with himself. It didn’t feel right to leave Spike. God knew there was a lot of baggage between them. One thing certain, he didn’t like the idea of this being goodbye. He took one last look at Spike whose eyes met his. There was unmistakable mutual understanding. Xander nodded, turned and ran.

Most folks didn’t realize that Xander was in good shape. He’d fallen off the wagon, so to speak, when Buffy and Spike arrived. Before their arrival, he worked out with the slayers three days a week, ran with them once a week, and had gotten to the point where he could keep up with them. No super powers, but he was fit. Shit! He was a warrior. Spike said so.

~~~