DISCLAIMER: I don't own these characters. ReneesFic isn't a penname for Joss Whedon.

------------------------------------------------------

Humming, Buffy sprawled out on the couch eating cookie dough-fudge mint ice cream and watching television. The Scoobies had all agreed to take the day off so they could rest before the contest the next day. She was surprised she still had her voice.

The doorbell rang, forcing her to leave her comfy leisure. Peeking through the window, she saw Doris at the door. Crap. She'd completely forgotten that she was coming by. Turning off the television, she set the ice cream on the coffee table.

Forcing on a smile, she opened the door. "Ms. Kroger, it's so nice to see you again! How are you?"

Doris smiled and entered the house when Buffy waved her in. "I'm fine." She looked around the living room and marked something on her clipboard.

Buffy walked over to the counter top where they kept their mail and picked up a letter. "I just got Dawn's report card. Her grades picked back up. Mostly Bs."

Doris took the report card from Buffy and looked at it. "Yes, I know. She's really improved." She made another comment on her clipboard. "Last time we talked, you had gotten a job at the Double Meat Palace. How's that working for you?"

Buffy's heartbeat increased. This was what she was afraid of. "Actually, I quit. I'm back with the band."

Doris raised her eyebrow.

She continued. "I'm a lot happier now, and a happier Buffy means a happier Dawn. I still spend time with her. She even comes to watch us practice sometimes." She laughed nervously.

Doris began to write more in her clipboard, but Buffy stopped her.

"Look, I make more with the band than flipping burgers. And I'm not the first parent to work a night job," she said, using Spike's words. "Dawn is doing great under my care. I do look out for her best interests."

Doris gave her a small smile. "You're doing fine."

Buffy looked at her in surprise. "I am?"

"Dawn's grades are up and she hasn't been skipping class. She has a roof over her head and all other necessities taken care of. I haven't seen any evidence of drugs or alcohol abuse."

Stunned, Buffy stepped back. "So, it didn't matter what my job was, as long as I was taking care of Dawn properly?"

"As long as it's legal and doesn't pose any harm to the child." She glanced at her clipboard. "We like parents to think about what they do and how it could affect their child. You seem to have everything under control."

Buffy strained to keep the smile on her face. She didn't have to quit the band after all. All those weeks of working in a greasy pit were for nothing.

"So, unless we see a big change in Dawn's behavior, this is probably the last time you'll see me." Doris held out her hand, and Buffy shook it.

The minute Doris's car left, Buffy screamed.

------------------------------------------------------

Buffy scanned the crowd at the Bronze, watching their reactions to the band currently playing. She squeezed her water bottle as she turned towards the stage. The band wasn't bad, but she knew the Scoobies were better. She was up next and a nervous wreck. This was the first time she played in front of an audience since her mother died. It was also the most important show of her life, so far.

Spike walked up to her, which, strangely had a calming effect. Usually, being around him made her a bit nervous. Her love for him had never faded, instead grew as she stopped pulling herself away. She never told him, though. Her life needed to get back in order, first. Her therapist said she needed to take things one day at a time. Buffy also waited for a sign from Spike that he wanted to start up again. It never came.

"I haven't seen a band as good as yours yet." Spike gave her a small smile.

"Well, the Initiative is up after us. They seemed to have saved the best for last."

Spike snorted. "They saved the best for second to last."

Buffy's heartbeat quickened. It was nice to hear Spike joke. She'd missed him. Of course, she'd seen him during practice, but that was work. The last time she talked to him about anything besides the band was three weeks ago after their first practice.

Spike's expression softened. "I've missed you."

Buffy started to respond when Giles came running up to them. "You're on."

She glanced at Spike and gave him a smile before jogging to the stage. He missed her. The energy of the crowd penetrated her, taking the happiness from seeing Spike and pushing it to a whole new level. She brimmed with excitement. He missed her.

As she ran on stage, she could see so many people she knew out in the crowd. Faith, sitting between two men, gave her a thumbs up. Anya was sitting with Giles at the table with Spike. Dawn was at a different table nearby with a group of her friends. So many faces she couldn't put a name on, but recognized from various gigs, sat and cheered.

The judges sat at a table near the front. They were the only ones who didn't cheer, but remaining stoic. Buffy told herself not to concentrate on them, or she would just bum herself out. She found it easy to focus on the rest of the audience, fortunately. With so many fans yelling, she knew they were a favorite.

Turning to give her band a huge grin, she started the set in top form. They only had three songs to play, and Buffy seeped with energy. Now, the familiar high took over, spreading from Buffy to her band and to the audience.

"It doesn't take much to get me going."

They were on fire. All their hard work from the last three weeks shone through. Buffy scanned the audience and saw Maggie Walsh glaring at her with narrowed eyes. Adam pouted next to her. Buffy's grin grew even bigger. She'll show those cheaters what a real band could do. As she sang her last note and played the final cords, Spike watched her with a huge smile of his own. When the crowd cheered at the end, Buffy's heartbeat exploded, and not just from the excitement from playing. She realized that Spike still loved her.

Willow, Tara, and Xander engulfed her in hugs. Giles, Spike, Anya, and some employees from the Bronze quickly moved their equipment off stage. The minute she got off the stage, it had half of the Initiative's equipment already setup. It was surreal.

She saw Spike talking to one of the judges and then step back. The judge turned to the other judges and spoke among themselves. Two of them stood up and approached the Initiative while they were coming on stage.

"We need to inspect your equipment," one of them said.

"Why?" Maggie Walsh fumed. "You didn't check the other bands'."

The two judges exchanged glances. "We've heard some concerns about possible cheating."

"That's outrageous!" Maggie glared at Spike, before turning to the judges with a raised eyebrow. "Go ahead. We've nothing to hide."

The judges inspected the equipment and tested the microphones. Satisfied, they indicated for the band to continue setting up.

Buffy shook her head. They have it hidden well, she thought.

She looked for Spike, and saw he wasn't next to the judges' table. Puzzled, she looked across the room and found him talking to Faith. Raising her eyebrow, Buffy stepped closer to them. Faith gave Spike a slow, devilish smile. The two of them stood up and walked to the back of the club.

Buffy was stunned. What was he doing with Faith? He said something in Faith's ear and walked away. Faith waited in the back. The announcer introduced the Initiative, distracting Buffy.

While they were performing, Buffy turned back to Faith. Something was up. Buffy assumed Spike would return to Faith, because she was waiting for something. A pain hit Buffy's heart, but she lifted her chin. If Spike was interested in Faith, Buffy only had herself to blame, she told herself.

The beautiful voice from the Initiative carried across the the club, but Buffy only watched Faith. Faith began to move slowly in time to the music, staring at the stage.

Suddenly, Faith lifted her shirt, displaying her breasts to the band. Before anybody else noticed, she lowered her shirt and walked away. Confused, Buffy looked at the stage. Adam stood, gaping at where Faith had stood. The voice however, was still singing. The crowd began to murmur. Adam seemed to snap out of it and grabbed the microphone and opened his mouth.

The crowd became louder, though. Nobody was fooled. The judges shook their heads. One of them picked up the piece of paper he was writing on and ripped it in half. Adam, still clutching the microphone, wildly looked from the judges, to his mother, to the rest of the crowd. Finally, he threw down the microphone and ran over, fist raised, to the man at the keyboard.

"You idiot!"

The man raised his arms to defend himself, and the rest of the band got in the way before Adam could hit him. His keyboard and the voice continued, a stark contrast without the other instruments. Adam started to push them angrily. A bouncer grabbed him by the back of the neck and dragged him out of the club, Maggie Walsh running after them.

It was a while before the crowd calmed down. Buffy noticed Spike in the back of the club with a huge grin. Smiling to herself, she made her way to him.

"Did you get Faith to do that?"

Spike raised his eyebrow. "I don't know what you're talking about," he said with feigned innocence. Then, he gave her a slow grin.

"I'm sure you owe her one, now."

"Jealous?"

Buffy reached up and kissed him softly. "You did this for me."

He pulled away, surprised, before giving her a half grin. "How do you know I didn't do it for revenge?"

She curled her fingers through his hair. "You did it for me, and I'm not jealous."

"Whatever you say." He lowered his mouth on hers. It was soft and slow, bringing a sweet completion to her heart.

Her mind was fuzzy when she finally pulled away. Her friends were looking at them in amusement. Grabbing Spike's hand, she turned to them with her chin up. Spike squeezed her hand, sending sparks through her body.

Willow raised her eyebrow. "How long has this been going on?"

Buffy looked from her to the rest of the smiling Scoobies and leaned into Spike. "We just discovered a few things."

"The judges have a winner." Their conversation was interrupted by the announcer. "I would like to introduce Wesley Wyndham-Price, executive for Jeram records and one of our judges."

The crowd cheered as a dark haired young man stepped to the microphone. Straightening his glasses, he leaned into the microphone. "Hello. Well, it looks like that last group has been disqualified. So, I bring great pleasure to announce the winner of tonight's contest."

Buffy held her breath.

"For five thousand dollars, the winner is the Scoobies!"

"Yes!" Buffy jumped and was soon joined by the rest of the band and Dawn.

Buffy, Willow, Tara, and Xander made their way on stage. Wesley handed them a plaque and check. Buffy walked up to the mike.

"Thank you. This means so much to all of us." She, then, stared intently at Spike, who gave her a small smile back. Things were going to be okay.

TBC - review please