Prologue: No Wedding In Sunnydale

Buffy Summers looked upon her reflection in the full-length mirror, fighting back tears. She was enveloped in the need to escape, and confusion coursed through her. She looked around the tiny room at the cedar door, and then the stain-glass window.

She was trapped. There were people waiting for her on the other side of the door, and she would never be able to reach the window without something to climb on. There was a sudden knock, and she panicked, grabbing the unstable stool that she sat on just an hour before, while her mother applied her makeup.

When William Locke, better known as Spike, got no response from the other side of the door, he pushed it without hesitation. “Summers, everyone is waiting for you…” He trailed off when he saw the petite girl, his best friend, standing on a stool wearing her strapless white gown, and struggling with the window. “Trying to escape, now, are we?” His British accent was thick, and he drawled on the question with a lopsided grin.

Startled, Buffy, lost her footing on the stool, and would have fallen, but Spike reached her before she could hit the floor. “Oh good, you’re here. I can’t marry him, I left the stove on at the house.” Her hazel eyes were wide with panic, and he took her arm before she could attempt climbing on the stool again.

“Calm down, Buffy.” He soothed her, running his warm hands down her bare shoulder.

Her arm tingled. ‘This is all his fault, if he hadn’t come back from England, looking so sexy, and saying all that stuff about love, I would be getting married today. He’s my best friend; he’s not supposed to be sexy.’

“Are you going to get me out of here or am I going to have to knock you out, and do it myself?” She was angry with him, but more with herself. If only he knew the affect he had on her.

After receiving her invitation to the wedding, he caught a fit, and broke it off with the girl he’d been seeing for the last six months. It freaked him out, because he was actually jealous. He sighed, knowing all too well she’d lay him out if she had to, and instructed her carefully. “I’ve helped many escape certain situations, but a wedding is not one of them. Here’s what we’re going to do. You’re going to take off those pretty little shoes, and I’m going to give you a boost. Try not to ruin that dress or veil, you may want it for the next wedding.”

She swatted his arm softly, and did as he commanded, taking off her shoes, and veil. Her golden hair tumbled out of its neat bun and hung in a long ponytail. After opening the small window, Spike proceeded to give her a boost, clasping his hands together, and letting her climb upon them.

She gripped his muscular shoulder tightly, as he lifted her, and then grabbed onto the windowsill, pulling herself up. Once she landed, safely and unharmed, but for a few scratches and a torn dress, she looked up at. He stuck his head out the window, a crooked smile on his face.

He threw down her shoes. “Okay, now, Pet. You made it past phase one, now, I’ll inform Red to pick you up at that 7-11 in my car.” He nodded at her, his smile never faltering. His reassurance was strengthening.

“Thanks, Spike. I owe you big time.” She smiled, grateful for his help. She knew she could depend on him. He’d been her best friend for the last four years, and had helped her through plenty.

“I’ll hold you to it. Now run along, before-“ A loud knock at the door, had him jumping down from the stool, and putting it back in its place. He picked up Buffy’s discarded veil, and yelled for the person to come in.

“Spike, where is Buffy?” A worried Joyce Summers looked around the room, a frown plastered to her face.

“I’m not sure, I came in here, and she was gone.” Joyce looked at him, as though she could read him, but just nodded.

“I had a feeling this would happen.” She turned to inform the guests of the runaway bride, as Spike rushed toward Willow Rosenberg.

The small redhead began looking frantic. ‘No Buffy means, no wedding.’ She looked at the groom, his faced sullen and his nostrils flaring. “I’m sure she’ll come back, she just has cold feet.” Her reassurance was unheard. A hand suddenly grabbed her, and pulled her away from the frenzy.

Riley Finn watched from his place at the altar, as Spike whispered something in Willow’s ear, a shocked expression taking over her features. She took the keys he offered from Spike’s hands, and rushed out of the church.

“YOU!” Riley shouted, pointing at Spike, angrily. “WHAT DID YOU SAY TO HER?” He rushed toward the bleach blonde, grabbing the collar of the tie-less black button down, and lifting Spike inches off the ground.

“Don’t know what you’re talking about, mate.” Spike spoke calmly, giving the guests surrounding them a small smile. Riley was bigger, but Spike had the fury behind the fire to win if it came down to it.

“Now, Riley, don’t do anything you’re going to regret later.” Xander Harris spoke up from the crowd.

“I want to see Spike get pummeled. It will make this whole thing worth all the time we spent preparing.” Xander’s girlfriend, Anya, spoke from his side, excitement in her voice.

“You’re not helping, Sweetie.” Xander stated.

“Don’t get all mad at me, cause your sodding girlfriend isn’t interested, Captain Cardboard. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going back to my hotel room, so I can go back to New York where I belong.” He turned away from Riley, giving Xander and Anya a quick wink, a hint that they should join him later.

“We’ll see you before you leave, Spike. We’re just going to attempt to find the runaway bride.” Xander earned a dirty look from Riley, and shrugged his shoulders. He began crawling on his knees, looking under the chapel’s benches and yelling Buffy’s name. He knew, as well as the other guests that Buffy was gone.

There would be no wedding in Sunnydale, at least not that day.

*A/N: Thanx to my Beta Ash M. You're a great help. Also, I know this is supposed to be NC-17, but that's in a few chapters.