Chapter One: Runaway

*A/N: A little boring this chapter is. I'm trying to drag out the story, so it's not too short. Enjoy, and send feedback. Again, Thanx Ash. (she can be ur beta if you email her at belleailles@yahoo.com, trust me, she's good.)*

As Spike stepped out of the chapel, it was as though the sky opened up, an attempt to blame him for what had just happened. He was soaked as he made he way back to the hotel, on foot. All he had said to her the night before, every word, stuck out in his mind. They echoed through him with misery.

‘How can you marry that pillock? He’s so boring. If you’re going to go through with it, Pet, I suggest you make sure it’s him you want, because you only get one special wedding.’ He emphasized on the word special, and left her alone at her mother’s house as he went back to his hotel room to drink his sorrow.

Losing her to Riley had become a reality, and he was quick to knock her down when she was up, in order to make her feel as he did. For four years they had been best friends, meeting in their sophomore year of high school after Spike defended her from a bully. It wasn’t long before he knew she could fend for herself. They were a group, the including Willow, Danny Osborne, Cordelia Chase, and Xander.

After graduation, Danny, better known as Oz, followed his band to LA, and Cordelia attempted an unsuccessful acting career, also in LA. Spike though he had met the love of his life, a Goth named Drusilla Ward. He devoted his life to her for a whole year, only to have his heart broken. Soon he was on a plane to New York, and leaving Buffy, Sunnydale, and what was left of the Scoobies behind.

Each letter Buffy wrote him detailed her blooming relationship with Riley, and each time Spike came by on holidays and encountered the soldier, he loathed him so much more.

Climbing up the stairs toward his room, he put a hand through his soaked bleach blonde hair, before he pushed open the door of the hotel room.

Buffy was sitting on the edge of the bed, deep in thought. Her attention snapped to him when he spoke.

“Where’d Red go off to?” His question of Willow’s whereabouts caught her off guard for a second.

“Oh…um…she decided to get changed, and stop by my house to talk to my mother for me, get me a few things to wear.” Buffy explained, clasping her hands together and looking up at him with wide hazel eyes. Her mascara was smeared, her glossy lips dry, and her stunning wedding gown was tattered and a little dirty from her climb through the window.

“Planning on avoiding home for a while, Pet?” He sat beside her, disregarding his wet clothes, and putting a hand on her back. He rubbed small circles to warm her skin and goose bumps formed on her smooth tan skin.

“I was kinda hoping you’d take me in?” She shrugged off his hand and stood beside the nightstand. The room was littered with clothes, and empty liquor bottles.

“I’d love to, Buffy, but I don’t live in good ol’ Sunnydale anymore. I grew out of this town last year.” He considered New York home.

She bit her bottom lip gently, and hoped he’d guess what she was suggesting. When he didn’t say anything, she began while picking up the clothes and folding them. “Since the school is off for the summer, and I’m just a counselor, I get off too. So, I can do anything I want. Even…go to New York and stay with you for the vacation.” She said the words and his brow raised, smile lifting his lips. “Is that a yes, Spikey?”

“Of course, Luv!” Excitement raced through him, as he stood and hugged her tightly. Realization hit him, and he stopped. “You're running away from your problems.” He sat back down on the bed, as Buffy ignored his comment.

“That’s such a harsh way to put. Think about it like this, you’ll have a warm meal when you get in, and a clean apartment.” She raised her brow and smiled sweetly.

“Not until you talk to Riley and your mother.”

Her bottom lip jutted out, a signature move he found irresistible. “Can’t I just pretend I already did it?”

He stood, touching her lip with the tip of his finger, “As much as I love that little look of yours, I insist. Get it over with now, and it’ll be a distant memory.”

Her personal space was becoming an issue, so she took a step back, and put her hand on the ancient beige phone. “Give me a few.” She said, and he took a towel from the floor and headed to the bathroom.

Before the first ring finished, her mother picked up. “Buffy?”

“Mom, it’s me.”

“Where have you been? You could have at least called me, or spoken to Riley before leaving him at the-“

“Mom, trust me, it wasn’t exactly planned. It’s not like I decided, ‘Hey it would be so funny if I left Riley at the alter tomorrow.’ If that’s what you think I did, I can assure you that I’m not that much of a terrible person.”

“Buffy, I never said you were terrible, and I’m happy you know what’s good for you, but you left that poor boy broken.”

“I love him, Mom, but I don’t think I’m in love with him. I didn’t want to hurt him.” Her mother was silent. “Listen, Willow’s going over to pick up some clothes for me, a lot of clothes for me. I’m going to stay with Spike for the summer. I need to clear my head.”

“If you’re smart, Buffy, you’ll talk to him before you leave, not on the phone, but in person.”

“You’re right.” Buffy agreed without hesitating, but inside she was torn apart. She wanted to apologize to Riley in person, but didn’t want to feel bad, and get sucked in to the relationship again. “I’ll come see you tomorrow morning before I leave. I need to be with my friends tonight.”

“I understand, honey, but please just talk to him…Riley is understanding and he loves you. Even if you don’t want to be with him, don’t just runaway. You at least owe him that.”

Buffy was blessed to have a mother, so caring for those who were not so close, but Joyce had become close with Riley. He was like the son she never had.

Buffy hung up the receiver and picked it up, again, dialing Riley’s cell phone number. “Yeah, Riley, it’s me. We need to talk…in person. I’ll meet you at the Espresso Pump in two hours.”