Chapter Two: The Longest Day

It wasn’t long before Spike was out of the shower, and Buffy stepped in to ready herself for her meeting with Riley.

“The phone was fine, Pet, you don’t have to go see the bloody pillock.” He was nervous, not wanting Buffy to change her mind about her summer with him.

“You don’t understand,” She called from within the bathroom. “This isn’t a phone conversation, this is a ‘I ran out on our wedding’ conversation, which involves me talking about it in person.”

Before he could reason, there was a knock on the door. Spike opened it without hesitation, to see Willow, Anya, and Xander standing before him, smiles on their faces. “She’s in the bathroom, waiting for her clothes.”

Willow made her way past him with a duffel bag slung over her shoulder, and went to talk to Buffy. Xander and Anya just stood in the doorway, waiting to be invited in.

“Come on, Whelp, Anya, get comfortable.”

They walked past him, and Anya examined the room. “This place is rather unpleasant.” She was never one to hold back her honest opinion.

“Thanks, I didn’t really decorate it myself, but I attributed to the mess.” Sarcasm was thick in his voice, and Xander withheld a laugh.

“So, everyone seems to be thinking that Buffy’s little escape, was your fault.” Xander informed him.

“Figured so, seeing how I did help her get through the window. The lady needed a bit of rescuing, and I was there to do.” Spike beamed proudly.

“Yes, but I still wish Riley would have pummeled you. He has very big muscles.” Anya stated.

“You look at his muscles?” Shock entered Xander’s features, and he stared at his girlfriend in disbelief.

“Of course I do. As much as I enjoy the orgasms, you’re a bit scrawny. Although you arms are nice, just not as nice.” Her explanation was a lost cause, and the two began arguing in hushed voices as Buffy exited the bathroom with Willow.

“A-are you sure you wanna go see him, I mean, he wasn’t very happy looking when you left.” Willow’s attempt to reason was unheard, as Buffy reached into Spike’s bag, and took out a gray hoody.

“Don’t mind, do you?” She looked at Spike with a small smile, a smile that told him he was hurting more than she let on. The clothes Willow didn’t bring her much to work with.

“Of course not, Pet.” He looked her over carefully, but not critically. She wore jean overall cutoffs, a navy blue tee, and Adidas sneakers on her feet. Her long hair was pulled back in a tight braid.

She could feel his eyes on her, and hesitated as she slipped his sweater on. It was a bit baggy on her, but she enjoyed the warmth of his scent. It smelled of cigarettes and musky cologne. ‘Mm…Spike smell.’

“So Buff,” Xander’s attention came off Anya to look at the petite blonde, “what was the jog for?”

“It was a bit rude, leaving Riley there all alone.” Anya pitched in.

Buffy’s mouth opened and closed, as though she was a fish in troubled water. Willow saw her squirm. “Now, let’s not play pick on Buffy. She’s been through something very traumatic today, and it’s hard to be able to do what she did. So what, she couldn’t marry Riley, but at least she escaped with her pride.”

“Oh yes, lots of pride, running and hiding. When I have my wedding the will be none of that.” Anya stated, clasping her hands together with a dreamy look on her face.

“Wedding?” Xander gulped.

“Enough, people, Buffy has somewhere to be.” Spike took Buffy’s shoulders from behind, and guided her to the door. “Ready to knock him dead, Pet?” He questioned, opening the door.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

“Bronze when you get back?” Xander asked, but Buffy walked out courageously before she was able to respond.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy was hesitant to enter the small café, when she saw Riley sitting at a small table in the corner, his hand in his light brown hair, a frown saddening his features. He was no longer in his tux, and adorned a pair of sweatpants, and a t-shirt.

She mustered up what little courage she had, and entered. Everyone’s eyes fell on her. Small town meant that they all knew. Riley’s gaze snapped out of his dream world, and focused on her when she sat across from him.

She gave him a weak smile, and his pain was apparent. She knew that those around her were watching, waiting, and decided it was not the best place to lay herself out. “Want to go walk?”

He nodded and followed her out the door, into the moonlit streets. He had kept calm in the shop, but he let loose when they were out in the open, and no one was in distance to hear. “How can you do this to me Buffy? I was prepared to give you the world. It was the least I could do, after Angel left you after you opened up to him.”

What happened with Angel was private, and Buffy had only shared it with Riley. Spike didn’t even know, and he was his brother. “I told you that in confidence, not so you can throw it in my face.” She stopped abruptly, facing him. Her hazel eyes were filled with rage. “What do you want me to tell you? That I messed up? That I want to be able to give myself to you, but it just didn’t feel bad?”

“You abandoned me at the alter, Buffy. Do you think that I can just say ‘Oh yeah, Buffy, I understand, I love you, I’ll wait.’ Well, it doesn’t work that way.” His tone was harsh, and sent a shiver down her spine.

Tears began to enter her eyes, as she attempted to defend her impulsive decision. “Well, I’m sorry Riley. Would you have rather had me marry you, only to request a divorce? God, would have rather ended up with a broken home?”

“That wouldn’t have happened. I love you.”

“I love you, too, I’m just not in love with you.”

He could have pulled out his hair, shouted at her, but he was heartbroken. Everything he built since leaving Iowa for Sunnydale was crumbling, all because he made Buffy the foundation. He leaned in toward her and inhaled her scent.

“You smell like him.” He stated.

“Like who?” She was caught off guard by his comment, knowing what he smelled.

“Spike.” He spit the word as though it was a curse.

“I borrowed his sweater, so what?” She was becoming defensive. Riley had taken over her life in the last year, but he was never able to sever the friendship she shared with Spike.

“Is that why you did it? Is that who you want?” He asked, his tone menacing.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She tried to sound nonchalant, but it wasn’t working.

“Since we started, it was always Spike, Spike, Spike, Spike, Spike. I knew I couldn’t compare, but I knew I was willing to give you something he won’t.” He was harsh.

“What are you trying to say?” Silently, tears were escaping down her cheeks.

“If Spike really wanted you, Buffy, he would have gone for it a long time ago. To me, you’re wasting your time, but then again, that’s my opinion. Have a nice life.” Riley turned on his heel, leaving her wounded with those words.

She was lost, and his words had pierced her. He was right. If Spike was truly interested he could have had her a long time ago, but he never looked at her with nothing more than brotherly love. She began wandering toward Sunnydale Cemetery, in a world of her own.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike sat on a burgundy couch in the corner of the Bronze, worrying as he looked at his watch again. It was nearly midnight, and Willow, Anya, and Xander had bailed on him during the wait for Buffy. Anya and Xander were making bunny love, and Willow’s new friend, Tara McClay, had pulled her to go back to her dorm at UCSD to “watch a movie.”

He always had a feeling that Willow was into that sort of thing. After her relationship ended with Oz, she sought comfort in Tara, and they’d grown questionably close, but it wasn’t his concern.

Buffy was, and she was MIA. He began asking himself a million questions. ‘What if they’re back together? What if they’re having sex? What if he killed her? What if he beat her?’

“Bloody hell!” Spike nearly yelled, startling a few people surrounding him.

“Everything okay Spike?” The owner of the club was making rounds, checking on the customers, when he heard the young man’s sudden outburst.

“Sorry, bout that, Mate. I was thinking about Buffy.” He apologized.

Lorne looked around; to be sure no one was listening. “The apple of you eye.” He winked, and the blonde smiled. “One of my waitress said she spotted the, now off couple arguing, and then Buffy made her way toward the cemeteries.”

Spike tossed a thankful smile his way, and headed for the exit, in time to bump into the girl. She seemed a bit off. Her eyes were distant and red, and she seemed broken.

“There you are, Pet. I was just about to go look for you. Everything alright?” He asked, and she just shook her head in response. Tears spilled from her eyes, again, and he pulled her toward the exit. “Let’s get you back to the hotel.”

She was silent on the ride back, except for her sniffles. Spike knew when not to pry. They entered the room, and she immediately kicked off her sneakers, and threw the hoody on the floor. Then she climbed into the bed, and curled up in fetal position.

“Looks like it’s a night on America’s greatest invention.” He made his way to the recliner, pulling off his black leather duster, and t-shirt. He kicked off his combat boots, and went to sit, when she spoke.

“Just hold me.” Her words were soft, and gentle, laced with pain. She felt him get in the bed beside her, and her breath caught when he snuggled up behind her.

She sighed contently, pushing Riley’s words away, and thanking the heavens that the longest day was over. She slowly drifted off to sleep.

Spike had never felt anything so perfect, the way her tiny form fit perfectly against his lean muscular body. Little did he know, this summer was going to be a memorable one.

*A/N: We're getting there people. Give me three more chapters and ther will be Spuffy action...I hope ur enjoying and please review. Another thanks to Ash for the support.*