Chapter Three: I Think I Will

Spike sat in the living room of the Summers’ home, waiting for Buffy as she packed, and said goodbye to her mother. He fiddled with a cigarette in his pocket, and was startled when Buffy’s little sister burst through the door with her stepfather Rupert Giles. Spike stood politely to shake the older man’s hand.

“How are you doing Spike?” Giles asked, shaking the young man’s hand.

“Hello Giles. I’m good and yourself?” Spike questioned.

“Very well, I suppose.” Out of habit, Giles removed his glasses and began cleaning them with a handkerchief he had in the pocket of his jeans.

“SPIKE!” Dawn ran to him, throwing her arms around his waist. She pulled away and looked up at him with wide blue eyes. “Can you believe what Buffy did, after everything that we went through setting up this wedding and she just skips out on it?”

“Your sister has her reasons, Nibblet.” He always defended Buffy to the end.

“It was extremely…interesting. We can’t help but wonder how she got through that window.” Giles watched Spike’s reaction with a smirk. The blonde simply put his hands in the pocket of his duster and looked up the ceiling.

“Bloody women! They take forever to pack a bag. I have it in my mind to leave her here.” Spike changed the subject, knowing that Giles had an idea that he helped Buffy.

“Oh no you’re not!” Buffy yelled from the top of the staircase. “I need your muscles, or at least whatever strength you have.” She joked, and Spike was up the stairs, at her aid.

“I have plenty of muscles. I know you want to get your hands on my tight little body, Summers, but the only married woman I’m into is your mum.” Spike joked, earning a swat in the back of his head. He lifted all three of the suitcases, as Buffy wore a backpack on her back.

“Oh, Spike, it’s nice to know you think so highly of me.” Joyce rejoiced, following the duo down the stairs.

“Giles understands. Us English men find you quite irresistible. Isn’t that right, Giles?” Spike questioned, and Giles nodded in agreement.

“Though I’d appreciate it if you noted that Joyce is mine.” Giles stated.

“Oh Rupert, always a fighter for what’s rightfully yours.” Joyce laughed.
Dawn and Buffy shared a look of disgust as the older couple exchange a kiss at the foot of the stairs. Spike ignored it, and opened the door to find Xander and Willow.

“Hey there Bleach Boy, Dawnie, Buffster, G Man, Mrs. Summers…what’s the occasion?” Xander smiled, as he looked around at the happy family.

“Hello Xander, um…please refrain from calling me that.” Giles said.

“I don’t know, I think it gives you flair.” Buffy said happily, and smiled widely at her other best friends.

Spike watched her, and saw that she was doing much better after talking to her mother. “Buffy is coming to New York with me.”

“Oh, goody! Xander, Anya, Tara, and I are going too, but at the end of July. We’ll have so much fun.” Willow put her hands together happily, and everyone began drifting outside to Spike’s rental. “When did you decide this?”

“Yesterday. I was gonna tell you, but everything was so…hectic.” Buffy ensured her.

“Totally understandable.” Xander chirped, refraining from any post-non-wedding jokes.

“Buffy gets to go everywhere.” Dawn whined.

“Don’t worry, little bit. When you graduate from good old Sunnydale High, I’ll bring you to New York with me for a while, if you’d like.” Spike offered, as he stuffed Buffy’s bags into the car.

“Dawn was about to express joy, when Joyce shook her head. “You can have one, but the other will remain uncorrupted.” The older woman joked. “I don’t want you to give Dawn a boost on her wedding day.”

Buffy looked down at her feet, hiding her smirk, as Spike’s jaw dropped. “How-who-how…” He couldn’t find the words.

“A mother knows everything. You looked guilty when I entered that room.” Joyce informed.

He cast his gaze to his boots, and looked at Buffy. She smiled, brightening his world. She looked breathtaking, adorning a white sundress with a cherry pattern. White sneakers topped off the look, giving her a sweet aura. Her hair hung down in two pigtails, and he saw her innocence.

“What time is your flight?” Xander snapped Spike out of his trance, and glanced at his watch. “It’s already two.”

“We have an hour. Come now Buffy, Luv. We’re going to miss it.” They said their goodbyes, and traveled off.

*

The plane ride was long, but Buffy was able to sleep for most, as Spike watched. He’d casually twirl a strand of her hair around his finger, and wish it could be his. Then, reality set, and their friendship seemed more important.

When they arrived at JFK Airport, Spikes old black Desoto was waiting for them in the parking lot.

“I can’t believe you still have this piece of junk.” Buffy stated, as she sat in the passenger’s side.

“Careful, pet, or you’ll hurt her feelings.” After jamming the luggage into the car, Spike headed to the Van Wick Expressway. He allowed Buffy to play the Top 40, as traffic flowed gently until they reached the Grand Central Parkway. There was a jam, and rain began falling.

“Bloody hell!” His annoyance was obvious.

“Wow, traffic isn’t even this bad in LA!” Buffy recalled. Blink 182’s “All the Small Things” began playing, and she bobbed her head to the song. “Your type of song, ain’t it, Spike?”

“Nothing small in my knickers. Want to see for yourself?” He reached for his zipper.

“No, no…it’s okay. I trust you.” She her skin flushed, as she let out a giggle. “That reminds me, think we can go see the Full Monty on Broadway?” She questioned.

“Sorry, Luv, you’re going to have to wait for Anya to see that one. I have myself a very fine penis, no need to see anyone else’s.” His joked cause her skin to flush a brighter shade of red, and he reached over to raise the volume on the radio.

Sitting so close, she could feel the heat of his body radiating toward her. On impulse, she reached over the seat to hold his hand, sending tingles up her spine.

Spike looked down at her hand on his, surprised at first, then he allowed himself to loosen up a bit, and take it in. He wouldn’t allow it to happen too often. After taking the 59th street Bridge into Manhattan, they arrived at his apartment at ten.

His apartment was on Mulberry Street in SoHo, and although SoHo was bigger than Sunnydale, the shops were just as small. With two bedrooms, the spare was plain, while the rest of the place was cluttered.

Spike had a wide collection of books and CDs, scattered around on shelves. His guitar was set in a corner, and all around the living room was sheet music and books of lyrics. After several trips from the car, they were able to settle.

“It’s cozy.” Buffy stated, looking around.

He led her to her bedroom, dropping her bags inside, and then he went into his bedroom to put in his small duffel bag.

Buffy examined her room, its white walls, and four post bed. There was a wooden nightstand that matched the bed, and dresser. It needed life, especially if she was going to occupy it for the entire summer.

She went into his bedroom, where he was sitting on his bed listening to the messages on his answering machine. She looked around at the scattered bottles surrounding the Mahogany sleigh bed, and the matching nightstand and dresser. Clothes were also all over, with more papers. On his dresser, she was surprised to see an old picture. It was Senior prom, and Xander, Willow, Oz, Cordelia, Angel, and they, all stood together, dressed their best. She wore a long black gown, and although Angel was looking at her, she was lost with Spike’s arms around her waist. After Buffy’s night with Angel, he was quick to go to prom with Cordelia.

“Those were the days, huh, pet?” He stood beside her, looking at the picture.

“Yeah…” She whispered the word.

“Angel lives on Park Avenue. I haven’t told him that you’re here, but he stops by every so often. “ He remembered the days when Buffy so clearly had had crush on his older brother, and how hard he tried to keep them away from each other.

If Spike were to learn the truth about what happened between her and Angel, he'd be completely broken. Not wanting to do such a thing, Buffy only nodded.

“Well, tomorrow is your day to explore. I’m working at the club at night, but we have all afternoon to do whatever you want. You should also take advantage of my job and have a little fun.” He informed her.

“I think I will.” Buffy placed the phone on the dresser, and stretched. “First thing tomorrow, this place gets cleaned.”

Spike groaned loudly, and accepted a goodnight hug before closing the door to his bedroom. The heat from her body stayed on him and he was quick to get out the lotion. I was going to be a long, hard summer.

*A/N: Next chapter will be the beginning of the beginning...Enjoy. THANX ASH!!!*