Chapter Five: Habit

Buffy and Gunn sat beside each other on the couch, eating popcorn and watching, “Pirates of The Caribbean,” on DVD. Buffy had changed into her usual white tank top, and a pair of Spike’s sweatpants, due to the drop in the summer night’s temperature. Her hair was in a ponytail, and she washed all her makeup off.

“Gwen sounds like an interesting chick. I’m going to be here till the end of August, so you have to introduce me.” Buffy took a handful of popcorn and put it in her mouth.

“As soon as she gets back from her mother’s in Massachusetts, I’ll make sure I do. That’s my girl, looking good in red leather.” Gunn allowed a mental picture to enter his mind. He may have been missing her for the last two weeks, but he wasn’t about to cheat. He was just interested in becoming Buffy’s friend, and that was all she was interested in as well. “So, you really like the guy you’re staying with, huh?”

“Yeah, sadly. I can’t believe I left Riley because of him. I mean, I wasn’t in love with Riley, but for a second I thought Spike would see me as more than just a friend. I’m an idiot. Soon he’ll be on his way to that cheerleader, and I’ll be here hoping he thinks I’m having sex with you. Angel too.” She wanted vengeance.

“That Angel dude was harsh, pushing me out of the way like that. What’s up with him?” Gunn asked.

“A mistake, a one time mistake and Spike’s older brother. If Spike ever found out that I was with him like that, he’d freak.” Angel’s threat still lingered on her mind.

“Spike seems to go through a lot for you. Helping you escape your wedding, giving you a place to stay for the summer, and beating up any man that you’re with. I think there’s more there than you see.” Gunn figured.

“I wish. If he liked me, he wouldn’t be going to Harmony’s and he’d be here to-“ She was caught off by the front door slamming.

“BUFFY! YOU BETTER NOT BE IN THE BEDROOM WITH THAT…guy.” Spike rushed into the apartment, and came to a slow halt at the sight in the living room. They weren’t humping like monkeys, they were chatting like old chums. “What’s going on here?”

“Spike, this is Gunn. We were just watching a movie, and he was telling me about himself.” She explained, standing fro her seat.

“Nice to meet you.” Gunn stood, placing the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table and sticking out his hand for Spike to shake. Spike only glared at him. “I think this is my cue to leave. I’ll talk to you soon, Buffy. Call me and maybe we can get together with Gwen. I’ll let myself out.” He made his way around Spike and out the door, after Buffy gave him a small hug.

“What the fuck was that about, Summers? What the bloody hell is wrong with you bringing strangers to my apartment? And who the bloody hell is Gwen? You’re not planning a threesome, are you?” Spike’s blue eyes were filled with rage.

“Who the hell are you, and where the fuck is Spike?” Buffy asked crossing her arms over her chest.

“Me. You have a man in this apartment, and are planning to meet up with another girl, and something’s wrong with me?” Spike was inches from her face, and they were staring each other down.

“First of all, Gunn has a girlfriend, and that’s who Gwen is. Second, Buffy doesn’t do threesomes or have sex with strangers. Third, this was a friend thing, not a fuck me because I’m all hot and bothered thing. And last, you were the one about to go get booty from a bitch you don’t even like.” She was shouting, her chest heaving, and her temper flaring.

“I’m not there now, am I? No, I would rather come here and stop you from making a mistake. I could careless about Harmony; you’re all I’ve been worrying about for the last three days. Before that if you include when I got that bloody invitation.” He began yelling as well, and suddenly she never looked so sexy. His dick twitched, a habit that was becoming all too common while being around her.

“Why?” The question was simple.

He was at a loss for words, but he didn’t waver his stare from hers. Suddenly, he was taken over by an urge and he had to indulge. He reached out and pulled her by the waist, closing the gap, and letting his lips find hers.

Her eyes went wide, her body stiffened, but it registered and she relaxed. He was kissing her. His lips were soft, and he gently pushed apart her lips with his tongue to enjoy hers. She sucked delicately on his tongue, nipping at his bottom lip. She was melting there in front of him, forgetting what they were arguing about.

Then, he abruptly pulled away, earning a small whimper from her. His mind was lost, and his dick was aching. He wanted nothing more than to lay her down, but he turned away.

She couldn’t speak, could barely breathe. She just watched his back, struggled to understand why he had just kissed her.

“Because you were making a mistake.” He slipped out of the living room, and headed straight for his bedroom. He left her alone, and confused.

She waited until she heard his bedroom door close, lifting her hand to her lips, as tears filled her eyes. She rushed into her bedroom, just across the hall from his, and cried herself to sleep.

*

Sunlight filled the room, bouncing off the plain white walls and rousing her from a dreamless sleep. The smell of bacon filled the air, and she reluctantly got out of bed when her stomach growled. She stopped at the bathroom, which was diagonally across from her bedroom. She brushed her teeth, and exited, walking slowly toward the kitchen.

There he was, shirtless and adorning sweatpants, setting up two plates of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. He felt her eyes on him, and looked up at her. “I-I thought I owed you an apology…for my behavior.”

A smile made its way across her lips, and although she was still hurt from his reaction to the kiss, she couldn’t help but forgive. “And you do it with bacon? Where the hell is the sausage?” She joked, earning a small smile from him. She sat at the wooden kitchen table, and he sat across from her.

“I’m not saying that it was right. You’re my best friend, my only real friend, and I don’t want to jeopardize that, pet. Yesterday, you were reborn when you stepped out of that room wearing that skimpy little thing, and you weren’t you for a second. But no need to worry, it won’t happen again. I just needed to get it out of my system.” He had spent the entire night in attempt to come up with an excuse. Although he craved for it to happen again, he blamed himself, thinking she didn’t want it.

Pain spread through her, but she ignored it and nodded. She began eating and there was an awkward silence.

“Would you like to do anything in particular today, Luv?” He questioned biting his tongue when she flinched at the word love. The kiss had a worse affect on her than he thought.

“I kinda thought I’d call Gunn. He lives in Brooklyn and was going to show me around, take me to some places I can buy good clothes, cheap. He’s also gonna introduce me to some of his friends.” She said, without looking up at him.

He watched her, not taking a bite of his food. “You sure, pet? I have off today.”

“Positive. I’m not here to take up all of your time. I can venture off and find things to do, without you.”

It hurt, but he said nothing. He began eating, just as she finished, silently.

“I’m going to shower. I want to get an early start.” She stopped in the entrance of the kitchen, and looked back at him. “Have a nice day.”

*

“I was harsh, Gunn. I’m not usually harsh to Spike. I treat him like my hero.” They walked slowly down Graham Avenue in Brooklyn. Buffy carried tons of bags, and Gunn as well.

“Maybe the dude needs it. You gotta be cold in order to get heat.” He said, smiling.

“So, what’s the plan for today?” She asked.

“We’ll shop, take in a movie, and you’ll meet Fred and Wesley.” He replied.

“Are they hot?” She questioned, smiling evilly.

“They’re a couple.”

“Oh, I have gay friends too, but they’re girls.”

“Fred’s a girl, Wes is a guy.” Gunn laughed. “Don’t worry, you’re gonna have fun. Don’t think about Spike so much. I’m beginning to think that you’d be perfect for a friend of mine. His name’s Lindsey.”

*

Spike sat in Harmony’s bedroom, on the bed, all clothes discarded. She kneeled before him in a pink teddy, pumping his long think cock for all it was worth, but still it remained soft.

“I think it’s broken. Maybe you should just go down town and I’ll get back to you. I’ve been so lonely without you.” She said, removing her hand from his dick, and looking up at him with wide eyes.

He face was buried in his hand, his elbows resting on his knees, and Buffy on his brain. He stood up suddenly, causing Harmony to fall backwards.

“Hey!” She yelled, her voice high pitch and whiney.

“I can’t do this. I’m sorry Harmony. You were good for a shag, but I can’t do it now.” He gathered his clothes, and began dressing.

“If you leave me here unsatisfied, Spike, don’t bother coming back.” She knew as well as he did, that if he came back the next day, she’s happily spread her legs.

“I’m sorry, pet.” He walked away, ignoring her yelling.

*

He entered the apartment to see Buffy sleeping soundly on the couch. It was nearly midnight, and he suspected that she was waiting up for him. He lifted her into his arms, and carried her into the bedroom.

Her body was sweaty, so he turned on the air condition throughout the house, and covered her with a thin blanket. She shifted slightly, her eyes fluttering open.

“Spike.” She smiled. “I had the worst blind date. Fred and Wes were nice, but that Lindsey was so conceited.” Her voice was filled with sleep.

“Shhh…pet. Go to sleep, and give me details tomorrow.” He kissed her forehead, and watched her fall back to sleep. It was long before he was back in his room, his only companion, a bottle of lotion, once again. That was already three nights in a row, another habit that was becoming a pain.

*A/N: Sorry for the tease...I had to do it. Trust me, stay tuned...cause it's going to happen in 3 chapters and other stuff in the next couple leading up to it. My praises to Ash.*