Chapter Six: Sooner Or Later

It had been a week since the kiss, and they sat quietly in a small pizzeria. Spike looked across the table at his best friend and sighed.

“What’s your problem?” She asked, a comforting smile on her face.

“Your slice has more pepperoni on it than mine.” He replied, his lower lip jutting out in a pout.

Buffy laughed out loud. “You can’t be serious. Baby much?” She had the urge to suck on his lower lip, but ignored it.

The kiss was not forgotten, but they each pushed it to the back of their minds, and everything seemed to get back to normal. Buffy spent most of her time with him, and when she wasn’t with him, she was with Gunn or Fred.

“Just give me two, and we’ll be even.” Spike suggested.

“Psh…no way. Get yourself another slice, because these are my pepperoni.” She raised the slice above her head as Spike tried to swipe it.

“Oh, come on, Summers. That’s no competition, I’m a lot taller than you.” He stood up, and took the slice from her hand. Buffy stood to get it back as he sat down in his seat, but a ear piercing voice, sent he sitting back down.

“BLONDIE BEAR, IS THAT WHY YOU RUSHED OFF SO FAST LAST WEEK? ANOTHER GIRL?” Everyone’s attention turned to the blonde trio, as Harmony ran toward Spike, shouting.

“Harm, she’s my friend, pet. Calm down.” Spike said, handing Buffy her pizza back, a smile on his face.

Buffy giggled, and Harmony gave her a venomous look. “Yeah, we just friends.” Buffy repeated the words with agony.

“Yeah, whatever, I know when I’m getting two-timed.” She said, in a calm, yet loud voice. “And she’s not even prettier than me, he shoes are so last year, and that sweater is a knock off.”

“Harm, we’re not even together, so it shouldn’t matter, pet.” Spike stated. “And just to set the record straight, Buffy is incredibly gorgeous.

“Oh yeah, you big…jerk,” Harmony turned her attention to Buffy and shout, “HE COULDN’T EVEN GET IT UP.” Buffy’s jaw dropped, as Spike’s face reddened, and Harmony walked out of the pizzeria triumphantly.

The customers surrounding them were laughing, and a smile appeared on Buffy’s lips. Spike looked at his lap, and up again at her.

“At least I know what to get you for Christmas. A few prescriptions of Viagra.” She laughed at her own joke, and Spike opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again when nothing came out.

*

Another week passed, and all seemed to be well. Buffy often brought up the Viagra situation, and Spike defended himself by saying that Harmony’s voice scared his Willie into hiding.

It was Friday night, and although the heat was blazing outside, the apartment was cool. The blonde pair sat on the couch, watching Half Baked.

“I still can’t believe you dated her. You had to have lost a bet.” A knock on door sent Spike to the front door.

“I was lonely, and she was willing to put up with my shit, pet.” He explained, opening the door to see his brooding older brother standing there.

“Peaches, what a surprise.” Spike opened the door wide, so Angel could step through, and he did, coming to a halt when he saw Buffy.

Their eyes connected, and Buffy quickly averted them back to the movie with a small, “Hey.”

“I need to speak to you.” Angel said to Spike, as he studied Buffy. Her hair was in a tight bun, and she wore a pair of short jean shorts, and a plain blue t-shirt. He felt his desire consume him. “In private.” He added, his eyes still on her.

“Well, come into my room.” They walked into Spike’s newly clean bedroom, and Spike sat on the bed.

Angel began pacing nervously. “Buffy cleaned up in here, huh?” He asked.

“If you’ve come all the here from Queens to talk about Buffy’s cleaning job, you’re talking to the wrong person.”

“Sorry.” Angel stopped pacing and sat beside his brother. “I need a place to stay. Darla threw me out.”

“Why’s that?” Spike question, his surprise obvious.

Angel sighed. “That night at the club, when I danced with Buffy…everything changed. Its like Darla couldn’t please me, and she noticed, especially after I said Buffy’s name in bed.”

“Buffy tends to do that to people.” Spike muttered. “You can stay here, but stay out of her way. She’s not entirely comfortable around you, especially since you gave her hell in high school.”

“I understand.” Angel wanted a chance to get close to her, but he had to find a way around Spike.

They went back into the living where Buffy was laughing at the movie by herself. “Buffy,” Spike spoke, and her head snapped in his direction, “Angel’s having some problems at home with his girlfriend, so he needs to stay here for a little while.”

Buffy glanced at Angel and gave Spike a wary smile. “Okay.”

Spike understood why she was uncomfortable around him, but figured there was so much more to the story. He had spent two years of high school, when he first entered Sunnydale High his sophomore year, till Angel graduated trying to keep Buffy away from Angel. He figured it had worked for a while, but suddenly felt he was missing something. He’d find out sooner or later. He’d know the truth.

*

Buffy awoke in the middle of the night, to the sound of her door opening. She sat up quickly, when she felt a body get into the bed beside her. She reached for the lamp on the nightstand, but a big hand stopped her. She was going to scream, but a forceful kiss stopped her.

She swung her fist quickly and jumped out of the bed, to turn the light on.

“Fuck, Buffy. You hit like a freaking man.” Angel whined, holding the left side of his face.

“What the hell are you doing in my bed?” She questioned angrily.

“The couch was uncomfortable, and I thought you could use a little company.” A wicked smile appeared on his lips, and he raised his eyebrows.

She wrapped her arms around herself, feeling violated. She only wore a tight wife beater, and boy-shorts. “This isn’t high school, Angel. I’m not the same, and I don’t want you.”

“You can try to stay away Buffy, but sooner or later, you’re going to be with me. Try and deny the electricity between us while you can.” He didn’t move from the bed.

“Seeing how the couch is so uncomfortable, take my bed. I’ll go to Spike’s room.” She walked out, slamming the door behind her. She crept into Spike’s room, and heard his labored breathing pattern. “Spike.” She called in the dark. She sat slowly on the bed, and he didn’t stir. She lifted the blanket, and sank into bed beside him.

It wasn’t until he turned over and wrapped his arms around her; she felt that he was naked. He then whispered her name softly.

She reveled in the beauty of his hard member, snug against her ass, her name fresh on his lips. She didn’t want to have him like that, unless he was awake for it. “Spike.” She moved from his hold, and turned on the light.

He shot up in bed, grabbing the blanket, holding it against his erection. “Buffy, what are you doing in here.” He looked at her attire, and felt a jolt of pain in lower region.

“Angel was uncomfortable on the couch, so I figured it would be okay for me to come in here, and let him have my bed.” The last thing she wanted was Spike killing Angel for trying something, so she left it out.

“No problem, pet. Can you go into my top drawer and hand me a pair of boxers first?” He asked.

“You own boxers!” She was amazed as she rummaged through the drawer, to find one pair underneath a lot of socks. They were black with skulls on them. “Figures.”

She threw them at him and he slipped them on beneath the covers. “Come on, pet. Let’s go to bed.” He said, and she climbed back in with him, getting into fetal position beside him. He draped an arm around her waist, and pulled her close against his body. “Night, Luv.”

*A/N: Thanx to Ash. Spuffy lovin is so close...*