Chapter 11


William called Mr. McNally and left a message that something came up and he would not be in the office today and cancel all his appointments and dinner that night. Spike was more than more than willing to look past her lies of five years ago as long as she discontinued the practice. Content that they overcame the first hurdle, the pair decided to live the day up. He convinced Buffy to change clothes once more and William escorted the young Ms. Summers to lunch. He insisted holding her hand in the crook of his elbow down from the door to her apartment down to his rented car. “A jaguar? Are you nuts in this neighborhood?”



He cocked his head to the side and raised his eyebrow, “I remember someone telling me she lived in a nice respectable neighborhood.”



She had the decency to look ashamed, caught at another lie. “I didn’t want you to worry. It’s a good neighborhood, I just don’t tempt fate.”



“All right, luv. I make sure next time I come here, it will be in an old Desoto.” He opened up her door and helped her in the low seat. Her sundress dipped precariously low and Spike took full advantaged and leered.



“Aren’t those classics?” she asked as he hopped in the other side and she did her buckle.



“Well, yeah, they are.” He smiled and turned the car on. “But nothing compares to the purr of this kitten.”



“I thought I was your kitten?” She fluttered her eyelashes and pouted.



“Awe, baby. You are my kitten but she’s a purring and you aren’t.”



“OK, you asked it. She’s a purring because you ‘turned her on,’ guess that’s the difference between the car and me.” She winked at him as he growled.



“Touché, luv. Touché.” Spike expertly slid the sleek car out on to the busy LA streets. “So where to?”



“I don’t know. You are the one that wanted to go out.” Buffy looked over at him. Her gaze looked with his and she inhaled deeply. Buffy couldn’t believe after five years, he still took her breath away.



“Let’s go eat. I grabbed coffee on my way in, but haven’t eaten anything.”



“I know,” he looked over at her and raised his eyebrow. “Remember that phone call this morning? It was Cordelia. Telling me she saw you.” He nodded and continued down the road.



“Where’s a good place to eat, pet?”



“Don’t know. Never am here during lunch and if I am, I usually eat at the park.”



“The park you say? Where?”



“About a mile ahead.” Spike followed her directions and they soon were walking in the heart of the park. Young children were playing as their caregivers watched. Buffy spotted her favorite hot dog stand and dragged Spike over. “This place has the best hot dogs in the LA area.”



“Hey there Elizabeth, like your usual?” The hot dog vender named Willie asked. He quickly fixed her dog and looked at Spike, “and what would your friend like?” Spike ordered his with lots of ketchup. After paying, the couple found a nice patch of grass overlooking a small pond. Spike spread out his suit jacket for Buffy to sit on. Thankful she didn’t have to sit on the grass, Buffy started to eat her hot dog.



“How long have you been coming here?” Spike watched Buffy watch the children feeding the ducks in the pond.



“I guess since we moved here. It was… an adjustment at first and this place reminded me of Sunnydale and my mom. I remember she used to take us to the beach and we would chase the seagulls and have a picnic.” Shaking her head from melancholy thoughts, Buffy turned her questions on him. “So how did Mr. Poor English Major become a rich, successful VP of an advertising firm?”



“Didn’t I tell you?” Spike laid down after finishing his hot dog. He played with a long strand of her hair as she finished hers. Buffy laid back, propped up by one elbow, looking at him.



“I don’t remember. I remember at first I tried to forget about personal information, afraid I would try to track you down. I knew you worked in Chicago and you told me you got promotions, but I don’t remember you telling me you worked in advertising.”



He grunted. “After I graduated, I got a job as a copy editor at Omni Hype. I went over their advertising dialog and paper material. I guess I impressed the right people and I worked my way up the ranks. The company was looking for a couple smart people to fill positions vacated from retirees.” He shrugged. “I was in the right place and the right time when it came to this job. I am head of their proofing and editing departments among a couple other things, but it’s a pretty cushy job.” He twirled her hair around his fingers as he talked. “Darla, another VP was supposed to come, but something came up at the last minute for her. I’ve only been in this position for a few weeks so the low man on the totem pole got to step in. But, believe me, I wouldn’t trade it in for the world. I would have never tracked down my golden princess.” She scoffed. “What, you are! I never called you that before?”



“I must admit you haven’t.”



“So which is it: love or princess?”



“You mean which one can you call me?”



“Yeah.”



“Neither.”



“Luv…” He brought his hand up to cup her cheek and scooted closer.



“Spike!”



“Then princess it is.” He tugged on her head and moved his closer. Buffy licked her lips as they neared. “Do you have any idea what you do to me?” She smiled and licked her lips again. “Oh yeah, do it again baby!” Her lips parted simultaneously as his brushed up against hers. His tongue lapped at the edge of her lips, encouraging hers to engage in the small erotic play. Grabbing his neck, Buffy deepened the kiss and ran her tongue at the top of his mouth. He groaned and chased her tongue back. Spike slid his hands up the back of her dress, drawing her closer yet. Buffy brought her hands down to his chest and push a little. In return, Spike settled his hands on her waist and pulled. Pushing harder, Buffy achieved an inch of space between their heads. Disappointed with the lack of lip lock, Spike moved to capture hers again. She saw him moving closer and arched back, thrusting her breasts into his chest. “Oh my princess wants to play?” Spike surged back and bumped his lower portion on her.



Buffy’s eyes widened as she realized that Spike was being affected by their kissing and was indeed fully aroused. “Spike, not here,” she whispered. Spike lifted his head and peered around. The children and the pond were now playing on near by swings.



“Guess not the place, huh, pet?” She shook her head. “Let’s go back to your place.” He sat up and winced. His erect cock, straining against his pants. Shimmying, he repositioned it so it was at least lying flat and not bulging.



Spike looked over at Buffy and she shook her head. “Let’s stay here and watch the clouds.” Buffy laid on her back and peered up at the blue sky. His mouth opened and closed like a gapping fish. Buffy looked over with a bemused look, “What?”



“What? She asks what? I’m having a little bit of a problem here.” He gestured towards his pants.



“Spike, let’s just enjoy the afternoon.”



“Enjoy the afternoon?” He repeated. “I know a great way to enjoy the afternoon, it involves me, you, and a nice soft bed.” His hand caressed her shoulder.



“Spike, as tempting,” she licked her lips and looked down at his member, “maybe we should take it slow.”



“How bloody slow do you want to take it? It’s been over five years!” Any lust Spike was feeling just went out the window.



“Spike…”



“Don’t do this to me, pet.” He looked into her eyes and whispered, “Don’t do this to us.”



“Spike…” Why wouldn’t he let her get a word in edgewise?



“Buffy…” Why is she doing this?



“You’re my boss.”



“Buffy…”



“Spike, you are. You can deny it all you want. But this is wr…”



“Don’t you dare say it, pet.”



“Spike, it’s true.”



He looked straight into her eyes, “Fine, you are fired.”