Author's Chapter Notes:
Great reviews! You guys rock!

For those thinking that this is the end for our two favorite lovers... it's not, they just have to go through a little bit before their reward
Chapter 22


Monday came too slowly for Buffy.



She drove home from the airport on Saturday and ever since then she has been moping. Dawn found out quickly to leave Buffy alone. Two hours after she got home from the airport, Dawn was listening to her NSYNC CD a little loud and didn’t turn it down when Buffy asked her to. Three minutes later, Dawn found herself in the silent dark. Buffy not only flipped the breaker to Dawn’s room, but also removed it completely. The only time Buffy wasn’t moping was when Spike called. They stayed on the phone for less than five minutes and Buffy cried for two hours afterwards. Dawn stayed in her dark room, listening to the sobs of her sister. She tried once to go into Buffy’s room, but found the door locked. Sunday came around and Buffy didn’t leave her bed. She stayed in her bed all day, listening to her sad CD’s.



Monday



Elizabeth Summers the epitome of perfection was a wreck on the inside. She was sitting at her desk trying to go through the stack of email, regular mail, and pile of work that all piled up last week. Others in the office had no idea what was going on in the small office of Elizabeth Summers. She stayed in her office with her door closed and phone turned off. She didn’t want to see anyone or talk to anyone. Parker Abrahms came by earlier and knocked on her door. Willow quickly got up from her desk and shooed him away from Elizabeth’s office. She volunteered to help him with whatever he needed, but he declined and went back to his own office.



At 2:30, Buffy emerged from he office. She shuffled into the file room to pick up some files. No one paid attention to the slightly disheveled office manager. No one, save Parker Abrahms. He stood in his office door watching her gracefully move from her office into the file room. Like a snake stalking its prey, he slithered down the hallway to the file room. Elizabeth’s back was turned when he opened the door. Her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail and her purple dress suit looked a little wrinkled. Not realizing she wasn’t alone, Elizabeth continued to peruse the files, looking for the last one she wanted. Parker stalked over and stood less than a foot behind her. “Busy day today, Elizabeth,” he breathed into her ear. Buffy jumped and whirled around, scared out of her mind.



“Mr. Abrahms! I didn’t hear you. I-I was looking for a file. Found it!” She held up the file and tried to move away.



Parker leered at her and stepped in front of her again. “What’s the rush, Elizabeth,” his hand came up and touched her shoulder, ‘I just want to talk.”



“Mr. Abrahms, I should get back to work. I have a lot piled up from last week.” She tried to side step him again. Parker came up behind her and right before she opened the door, he slammer his hand against the door, immobilizing it. Elizabeth stepped aside and away from him. “Mr. Abrahms, what is going on?” Elizabeth looked around, knowing there was no way to get out of the room, but still desperately searching.



“Oh, come on now, Ms. Summers,” he sneered, “I was hoping he could come to,” he stalked closer to her, trapping her against a file cabinet, “an arrangement.” His hand dipped down to her hand, trying to grasp it, but she pulled away.



“Excuse me?”



“Don’t play coy with me, Ms. Summers, or should I call you Elizabeth? How about Buffy? Seems like people that know you outside of work call you that awful nickname.” He moved closer enjoying her struggles. “And, I would like to get to know you very well.”



“Mr. Abrahms,” she moved closer like she was going to reach out to him, but instead sidestepped him again, moving closer to the door. Suddenly the door opened and Willow stood there. A relieved Elizabeth looked at her like a savior and Parker sulked.



“Elizabeth. Mr. Bennett is on the phone. He says he’s been trying to get a hold of you all day. I told him that you had piles of work on your desk and turned the ringer off, but he asked me to get you.”



Grateful for the intrusion Elizabeth said, “Please patch him through to my office. I will be right there.” Willow nodded and left. The door closed quietly and Elizabeth was left alone with Parker once again. “Leave me alone,” she whispered, gathered her files together, and opened the door to leave.

~*~*~

“There you are. I’ve been trying to call you all day,” Spike snipped into the phone.



“I was trying to get this mountain of paper work down to a sizable hill. Sorry. I didn’t know you were trying to get a hold of me. My voice mail light isn’t on.”



“I didn’t leave a message, pet,” his voice was a little less harsh. “I miss you.”



She looked up at her ceiling, praying for divine intervention, but none was coming. “Me too.”



“What’s wrong, Buffy?” His voice sounded insistent.



“Nothing.”



“There’s something, don’t lie to me.”



“It’s nothing, really. Just let it be.”



“Buffy…” she didn’t let him finish and changed the subject.



“What did you want to talk to me about?”



She heard an audible sigh, “How are things?”



“Mr. Bennett…”



“Spike, darling.”



“Spike, is there anything you need? I really do have a mountain here.”



“Where were you when I called and Willow answered?” She knew he wasn’t going to let her off until he got what he wanted.



“In the file room.”



“Took you a long time, pet.”



“Fine, you want to know how it is going? Shitty. Parker the pig cornered me in there.”



“What did he want?”



“He’s an ass, Spike. Forget it. I told him to leave me alone.”



“GOD DAMN IT, BUFFY. Tell me what he wanted.” Spike had lost his tempter, she knew it and probably everyone in Chicago knew it.



“I don’t know. He didn’t get around to tell me exactly what he wanted, but he hinted he wanted to know me outside of work. But, he didn’t say it right out.”



“What?” She could hear the shaking of his body through the phone.



“Relax, I don’t think he will be trying anything so blatant again.”



“I’ll kill him!”



“No, you wont.”



“He’s fired.”



“For what? Coming on to your girl friend? And then what? You made that deal with him.”



“Doesn’t give him the right…”



“You gave him all the right, Spike. Stop it. I’m can handle him.”



“Buffy…”



“Seriously, I need to get to work, Goodbye.” Buffy hung up the phone and sighed. Her office looked like a tornado went through it. She looked over and saw her line was lit up. She checked the caller ID and saw a 312 number. She assumed it was Spike again and picked it up. “Public Claim, Elizabeth Summers speaking.”



“Buffy…”



“No, don’t I told you once and I’m telling it to you again. I have to live here and you don’t. You swoop in and mess everything up and then leave. I have to live with the repercussions.”



“What do you mean?”



“I mean… Spike you know what I mean. You leave and I am left with cleaning it up.”



“Cleaning what up?”



“Everything. My life. Every time I walk into the park I will see you and me on that stupid jungle gym. Or in the apartment. I’ll see you in my bed, beckoning me to join you. The office you used. The file room. Everything. I am here. I have to live with it. I told you before. It’s not fair, Spike.”



“What do you want me to do about it, pet?” She could hear his teeth grinding.



“Nothing, Spike. You can’t do anything about it.”



“Buffy, please, pet.”



“Spike, I have to get back to work.”



“We aren’t finished with this.”



“I’ve got to go.”



“I’ll talk to you later.” The hung up and both hung their heads in defeat. Was love enough to get them through this?