Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for the reviews, please keep them coming.

For those that are wondering about their relationship... it will soonb e revealled
Chapter 23
Anya and Willow were currently sitting in Buffy’s living room. They all had a day from hell and needed to relax. Buffy found her stash of Vodka, Tequila, Rum, and Amaretto. She brought out the bottles, mixers, chasers, and shot glasses. Giving each woman one. “So then Parker walks away from Buffy’s office in a huff. What’s up with him?” Willow asked.



“Not enough orgasms if you ask me.” Anya piped in before she took a shot of vodka.



Buffy picked a beer up and opened it up. “He’s an ass.” The two girls looked at her questionably. “Don’t ask.”



Willow shrugged her shoulders. “Wow, Mr. Bennett wasn’t happy that you turned off your ringer. He sounded upset. What did he want?”



Buffy looked up from her beer and stammered, “UH, he wanted… to make sure I emailed him a report he asked me to do.” Buffy sat back proud of herself that she came up with something so quickly.



The rest of the night involved Dawn coming home to three drunk women in the living room ranting about this or that. She just shook her head and headed to her bedroom. Every once in a while she would hear Anya say something about orgasm or erection and the three would giggle for minutes afterwards. At ten o’clock the phone rang. The drunks in the living room were not making any attempt to get the phone so Dawn did.



“Hey little bit, how’s it going?” A not so cheery voice said.



“Uh, fine. How’s Chicago?”



“Beastly, the temp is about 95 with the humidity is at 90 percent. No rain, just hot and humid.”



“Yuck. See you should have stayed here. It’s 85 with medium humidity.”



“Yeah, sounds nicer. So where’s your big sis?”



“Drunk in the living room.”



“She’s what?”



“Drunk, what to talk to her?”



“UH, yeah, nibblet thanks.” Dawn got up and went into the living room.



“Buffy, it’s Spike.” Buffy looked up quickly. And the two girls perked up.



All at once the girls started to shoot off questions.



“Oh, whose Spike?”

“When can we meet him?”

“Where did you meet him?”

“What kind of name is Spike? Is it what I think it is?”

“Where is he?”

“Dish girl!”



Buffy shook her head and got up to get the kitchen phone and slurred, “Buffy isn’t here, please leave a message at the beep. Beep.” And she hung up. “Dawn I don’t want to talk to him, don’t answer the phone.”



“Buffy you are being a bitch.” Dawn stood in the kitchen with her hands on her hips.



“I’ve had a hard day and the last thing I want is to talk to him.” Dawn shook her head and went back to her room. Anya and Willow got up and went into the kitchen. The phone rang again and again. Buffy watched the receiver as it rung again. The machine picked up and greeted the caller.



The three woman watched the indicator light blink and they heard, “God damn it, you bleeding woman, pick up the bloody phone. Buffy? I know you are there, probably listening to me, pick up the phone we need to talk.” Silent tears escaped Buffy’s eyes as she listened to the pain in his voice. After a deep sigh he tried a different approach, “You can’t keep avoiding me, pet. You will talk to me.” With that he hung up.



“Oh my god!” Anya said. Willow looked over at her friend.



“What?” Buffy snapped.



“That was Mr. Bennett. Your Spike is Mr. Bennett. Why didn’t I see this earlier!!”



Comprehension dawned on Willow and she breathed in deeply, “That why he wanted you to show him around the office.”



Feeling backed in to a corner Buffy shook her head. “No, no, no.”



Anya stepped up. “I know that voice. It is Mr. Bennett. You’re sleeping with him!”



“What? Don’t be ridiculous.”



“Don’t deny it. He’s the one with the smooches and the hickey. Oh my god, all those hours you were helping him!”

“No, it’s not like that. Please, you’ve got to believe me.” Tears ran down her face, Buffy was utterly defeated.



“So there is something.” Anya probed.



“Yes. But he didn’t know that I was the office manager or anything when he came. We didn’t know… our real names… just the nicknames.”



‘Oh my god,” Willow gasped.



“It’s not like that!”



“Uh huh, sure sleeping with the rich boss is nothing like that,” Anya snidely said.



“Anya, Willow. Please. We didn’t even meet until Tue…”



“Tuesday! When you didn’t come in because of Dawn! He wasn’t in, either.” Willow ascertained.



“You slut!”



“Please, Anya… I was there in the morning. He came in and we talked.”



“You didn’t jump his bones?”



“Anya! He didn’t recognize me. I mean I’ve changed a lot in the past five years. So any way, I was just about to tell him who I was when Ms. Big Mouth here, Anya, ducks her head in and lets the cat out of the bag. I ran. I don’t know why. I guess just lost my nerve.”



“Oh my god, this is what romance novels are made of.”



“No they’re not! HE looked up my personal file and followed me home. We got talking. And I don’t know how it happened, but I think I fell in love with him. And now Parker knows and is black mailing him to keep his job. And, Spike is gone. And, now Parker is hitting on me. He fucking trapped me in the filing room. Thank god you came in when you did, Willow. I don’t know what to do!” Buffy collapsed in a kitchen chair. Willow came over and hugged her friend.



There was a knock on Dawn’s bedroom door. “Come in.”



“Dawn? Do you… um… have the number to Spike?”



“Uh yeah sure. Want me to dial it?” Anya nodded and Dawn handed her the phone.



“WHAT?”



“Um, Mr. Bennett?”



“Yeah, whose this?”



“This is Anya Jenkins.”



“How did you get this number?”



“Dawn dialed. Uh, I think Buffy needs to talk to you.”



“Is she alright?”



“No, she isn’t. I know you are back in Chicago and all, but she needs you.”



“Put her on the line, please.”



“I don’t think she is able to speak right now.”



“Where is she?”



“In the kitchen, crying her eyes out. Mr. Bennett, are you aware Parker Abrahms came on to her today?”



“She told me.”



“Did she tell you he trapped her in the filing room and wouldn’t let her leave?”



“She… didn’t tell me that.”



“I didn’t think so. See Buffy thinks she can take care of herself, but it’s nice to not to have to, you know?”



“Sure, pet.”



“So, I’m not sure what you two are about. Just that you knew each other before and now you kind of are involved.”



“No kind of. We are.”



“Well, I… um. I think you should act like it. You let Parker get the upper hand and now he is using it on Buffy with no way to defend herself.”



“Ms. Jenkins?”



“Yes, sir?”



“You are a good friend.”



“Thanks.”



“Could you get Buffy on the phone?”



“I’ll try.” After five minutes, she came back. “It’s no use, you wouldn’t be able to understand her anyway.”



“Thanks, pet. I’ll call her later.”