Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you are enjoying this... again blame ImbloodyEnglish
Chapter 2

“Hey, Cordelia!” Buffy breezed into the coffee shop and sat next to her long time friend. Her golden long hair bounced behind her as she hugged her friend and stepped to the side.

Cordelia looked up from her script and smiled. “Finally. You know it is rude to keep a very important actress waiting,” she looked at her watch, “for five minutes.”

“Good thing there isn’t anyone around that fits that description.” Buffy turned around to go order her Chi Tea from the counter.

When Buffy walked back to the table, Cordy looked up again, “You are the only one I know that would buy tea from a coffee house.”

“I am sure I am not the only one since they do still have it on their menu.” Buffy sat back and enjoyed the time with her friend. The two drifted apart after their senior year in high school. Right before graduation Buffy and Angel tried to work things out and Cordelia got majorly pissed. She maintained that Angel was a scumbag and Buffy shouldn’t bother with him. She failed to mention that Angel hit on Cordelia while he was trying to get together with Buffy. Cordelia went to LA to become an actress and Buffy stayed in Sunnydale to go to the local college. During Buffy’s sophomore year, her mother became ill and Buffy was forced to drop out of college to support her sister, Dawn. Cordelia entered their lives shortly after, hearing about their mom. Cordelia became Buffy’s rock once again. She helped them sell the house and move to Los Angeles where she could help more. She helped Buffy get a secretarial job at a local publishing company. A little embellishment on her resume here and a little hairspray there, Buffy transformed into a productive member of society and a total hottie. “So how’s the promotion?”

“Great. I know it’s only been a couple months since I stepped into the office manager position, but I think it’s going good.”

“Not to mention the money.”

“Oh course, can’t mention the money.” The girls sat at the table giggling like schoolgirls over the most mundane things.

~*~*~

William “Spike” Bennett was sitting in the airport lounge working on his laptop. Thanks to his Internet connection through his company’s satellite, he could check his email. Opening his hotmail account he was pleasantly surprised by the email from Buffy. Forgetting about the personnel files he was supposed to go over, he opened her email up and chuckled.

Subject: Re: Hey there cutie
Date: Friday, 20 June 2003 20:30:14 -0400
From: sxyspike@hotmail.com
To: EAS@hotmail.com

Hey, pet. I’m currently at the airport ready to head back to California. I wish you would tell me where you and Dawn moved to; I would love to see you. If I knew your last name I would look you up. I haven’t been to California since I graduated. Can you believe it? It’s been almost four years. Wow, I can’t believe I’ve been out that long. I just got off the phone with Xander, he says he say that friend of yours on the telly in a made for TV movie last night. Do you still keep in touch with her? Does she know where you live? I miss you.

Bye,
Spike


Sitting back, Spike thought back on the time he spent with Buffy.

April 1998

After spending the night at the diner talking, Spike and Buffy found Cordelia’s car. Buffy looked over to Spike and said, “Um, do you… I mean… can you… uh… do you mind driving?”

Spike looked at the flustered girl and smiled, “Sure thing, pet. I bet this baby has some power behind it.” She relinquished the keys as he walked her over to the passenger side. “In you go,” he opened the door and helped her into the car. Walking over to the driver’s side, Spike was a little giddy: never in his life had he had an opportunity to drive such a beautiful machine. His family was poor; the only reason that he could go to college was a full scholarship and grants. Hopping in and starting the roar of the engine Spike looked over at his new friend, “Where to, pet?” Buffy shrugged. They could go find Cordy and give her back the car, but that would mean the night would be over and she wasn’t ready for that. Spike was really nice and intelligent; making her think beyond the confines of her own mind without making her feel stupid. Angel would make her feel stupid. Buffy chuckled a little, Angel. She hadn’t given Angel a second thought after Spike came to save her. “What’s so funny?”

“Oh, just thinking to myself. How about the beach?”

“Sounds good.” He followed her directions to a small beach. They sat in the car with the top down watching the sunrise and continuing their discussions. Spike found out more about her family and living in a spring break town. Buffy learned of the tough life Spike grew up with in England and the way he got his nickname. He told her the story of coming over to the United States when he was sixteen and his subsequent juvenile delinquency. It seemed so natural to share intimate things like this.

As the sky turned from black to deep purple and blue, they sat in the car in silence. The birds started to chirp but neither paid attention, as they were lost in each other’s eyes. Spike’s hand held hers over the gearshift, caressing circles on her skin with his thumb. As the sun crested over the horizon, their heads moved like there was a magnetic pull. Their lips met gently, almost tentatively, finding the correct position. His lips were cool and smooth as they slipped over hers, opening his mouth and running his tongue out to caress her bottom lip. Groaning, Buffy opened her mouth and flicked her tongue over his. Getting the needed encouragement, Spike wrapped her arms around her and they continued to make out until the early spring-breakers started to pass the car, heading to the beach. Reluctantly the two pulled apart, slightly embarrassed at the intensity that they were kissing with. “Hungry?” Spike didn’t want his time to end with Buffy, afraid he would never find her again.

“A little, I should be getting home though.” Spike’s face fell in disappointment. “But, I guess since I have to find Cordy anyways to return her car, it wouldn’t hurt to have some breakfast, too.”

Grinning from ear to ear, Spike put the car into drive and they headed back to the downtown in search of breakfast and Cordelia. “You know, pet, if we can’t find your friend, we might have to spend the whole day together.”

In mock outrage she countered, “Oh, the humanity!” Laughing together, they headed to a popular breakfast restaurant.


Present day

William heard the call for his next flight. Gathering up his laptop and paperwork he headed to the gate. He found his seat in business class and began to look over the details of the new company he was visiting. William was the newest vice president in the biggest advertising agency in Chicago, Omni Hype, and he was visiting the newest acquisition, Public Claim, a small, but successful publishing company in LA. Omni Hype was hoping to expand their customer base by creating a branch office in LA. In front of him was laying the personnel records of the thirty employees that currently were working for Public Claim. William was supposed to figure out how to cut costs and more than likely it would come from the staff especially if Omni Hype wanted to insinuate its key players into the office staff to keep things rolling towards their goal. Not really interested in looking over mundane things, he went back to thinking about Buffy and the first whole day they spent together

April 1998

Finding Cordelia was easier (darn the luck) than what Buffy or Spike thought it would be. They entered the ‘Glaze and Wonder’ for breakfast and long and behold, Cordelia was sitting in a booth with her companion from last night. Looking up, Cordelia caught Buffy’s eye and waved them over. “Buffy! How’s my car? You didn’t scratch it did you?” Cordelia seemed on edge, a little to hyper.

“Relax, Cordy, its fine.” Cordelia motioned for Buffy and Spike to sit.

“Uh huh, where is it? I know about you and driving. Why did I give you my keys?” Cordelia looked up into the sky like she was talking to God himself. Buffy blushed and looked down embarrassed. She didn’t want Spike to know that she couldn’t drive stick, let alone not drive at all. Spike looked at Buffy and grinned, he suspected Buffy didn’t know how to drive stick, but now it sounded like she wasn’t a very good driver period. “So who are you?” Cordelia bluntly asked.

“Oh, sorry, Cordy, this is Spike. We met last night when he saved me from Angel.” Spike snorted at that name. “Spike this is Cordelia, or Cordy as I call her, and this is… I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.”

“Wesley.” Cordelia’s companion introduced himself.

“Oh, British, too. How did we end up finding two British guys?” Buffy kidded. She felt more comfortable with Spike sitting across from her, than she has felt in years. Buffy mused it was weird that she didn’t feel comfortable to be herself when she was around her friends, save Cordy. During get-togethers Buffy usually ended up being quiet and just watching her friends interact versus actively participating in conversations and their antics. When the two friends were alone, Buffy was much more out going.

Shrugging off the introspective thoughts, Buffy smiled at Spike as reached across the table. “I think the question at hand is how did two blokes like us end up finding two ladies such as yourselves, ey mate?” Spike elbowed Wesley in the ribs.

The four talked over breakfast. Buffy noticed Cordy was a little quiet, but shrugged it off. Maybe she was just letting Buffy be the open girl, center of the party for once. Once they finished breakfast, Buffy handed Cordelia’s keys back to her and she left. Wesley walked back to the hotel he was staying at leaving Buffy and Spike alone once again. “So, um, pet…” Spike started. “Think we can hang out tonight? Maybe catch another bite to eat and movie or something?”

Buffy couldn’t believe her ears. Spike actually wanted to get together again. “Don’t you want to hang out with your friends?” The look of Spike’s face made Buffy realize she said the wrong thing. “I mean. I would love to hang tonight. I just wanted to make sure that… you know, got to have fun.”

“Fun? You are fun to be around.” Spike took her in his arms and brushed his lips against hers. “I wouldn’t have asked you if I didn’t want to be around you.” Her arms wound around his neck. “Plus the only friend I am with is Xander.” At her questioning look, “Remember that other bloke that was in the bar? He came up beside me when talking to your ex.”

“Oh yeah, I remember. Are you sure you want to hang with me tonight instead of him?”

“I see him practically everyday. I’d rather spend time with you.” Buffy’s heart melted at the shy schoolboy look Spike was sporting. His eye lashes dipped low and fluttered.

“Oh, how can I deny such a hottie!” Buffy kissed his lips again. “When do you want to meet?”

“I was hoping five minutes ago.” Spike held Buffy tighter.

“You know I need to go home,” she pouted.

“Oh, look at that lip. Going to get it,” Spike swooped down to capture her bottom lip and worried it with his teeth. “I’ll walk you home.”

“No!” Buffy said quickly. “I mean, I can walk home, it’s OK. You should go to your hotel and get some rest for tonight. So when do you want to meet?”

Sighing, “Fine, pet. How about six in front of that bar from last night.”

One last kiss and then, “K, Spike, I’ll meet you in front of Goldilocks!”

“Oi, please tell me that isn’t that bars name?” she giggled and nodded her head. “Oh my god, I was in a poofter’s bar.” She giggled again and headed to her home.


Present:

Spike adjusted his frame in the uncomfortable seat. Glancing at the files in front of him, he decided to get to work. From the report from the previous management the Public Claim was in major need of restructuring. The books currently looked good, yet the profits were dwindling because of mismanagement. The report stated there had been a decrease of spending since the new office manager stepped in. The last one was terribly disorganized and would just order more supplies when she couldn’t find what they already had. It turns out that they found 15 boxes of staples in her file cabinet. No office of that size uses that many staples in a month, let alone a year. William took the personnel file of the new office manager, Elizabeth Summers. One week after being promoted from secretary she brought up productivity with the support staff. Her work was extraordinary as a secretary and far surpassed the job of her predecessor as office manager. He marked a circle on her file and went on. The next file on his list was Parker Abrahms. Inside it noted several sexual harassment complaints from the secretarial staff. William snorted and continued leafing through it. Documented cases of Parker leaving the office during the day with out permission, long lunches, and un-business like practices were littering his file. William marked a red checkmark at the end of his file. Continuing, he went through about half the files marking red checkmarks and black circles on each file.