Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow! Thank you for all the reviews! It seems most of you have read it, or have seen this before. I'm so happy you are enjoying it again! And for those that aren't familiar with my work...welcome. I have many stories on this site (and on my own)... I'm kind of an old foogie when it comes to the fandom.
April 1998

“So who was the hunk of salty good ness this morning?”

Buffy groaned and flipped over on her back in her room. Talking into the phone, “I told you, Spike. He saved me from Angel.”

“He’s more than just Spike, dish girl. I haven’t seen you act like that with anyone else. Not even with Angel. I was beginning to think that that part of Buffy was mine and mine only.”

“I don’t know. I feel so comfortable with him, you know?” Buffy twirled her hair around her finger. “We spent the whole night talking in the diner.”

“Oh yeah, just like Wes and I spent the whole night talking. I saw how he was looking at you and you definitely weren’t just talking.”

Buffy blushed, “Speaking of Wesley. What’s up with you and being all non-communicative girl? You didn’t even kiss him goodbye.”

“Uh, yeah. You noticed? It isn’t going to work out. The thing about these college guys coming into town looking for a spring fling is that, it’s just a fling. Wesley was looking for a good time last night, I was looking for a good time, and we had a good time together. Now it’s over.”

“But it doesn’t have to be that way. I mean you could keep in touch and everything.” Buffy sat up on her bed. Spike was different he wasn’t looking for a just a good time, he wasn’t.

“Sweetie, yes it is. I bet you didn’t tell that hunk of man meat that you were in high school, did you?” Buffy blushed a little. “When he goes back he will forget about you. You’ll go back to a senior in high school and he will go back to his school and you two won’t keep touch. I’ve been through this before. Trust me.”

“But it’s different. We’re different.”

“With my first fling I thought so, too. But it wasn’t and you two aren’t. Just have fun these next couple days and then say goodbye. Don’t give him your number because he will never call. And you never know where your number will end up. At best in the trash at worst a trucker’s rest stop. Just have fun. Don’t give your hopes up; I don’t want to see you hurt. Oh my mom is calling me, I have to go. Talk to you later, OK, girl?” With that the two friends hung up. Buffy sat in her room for a long time contemplating the advice her friend gave her. Cordelia never steered her wrong, so does that really mean that they weren’t different?


Present day
Buffy was emptying her car full of groceries when a familiar voice startled her. “Hey Buff, need help?” Riley walked over and patted Buffy’s ass. He reached into her jeep and grabbed a couple bags. He hefted the bags up the stairs into Buffy’s apartment. After her mom died, Cordelia convinced Buffy to move Dawn and herself to LA because the job market was much better there. Ever since then, Buffy and Dawn have lived in the same apartment. Sighing, Buffy followed Riley up. She hated to compare the men in her life to Spike, but she did. She followed Riley’s big lumbering body as it worked itself up to her apartment. She wasn’t happy and she knew it. The recent time apart made her realize that Riley was a nice guy, but she wasn’t in love or happy with him. She was going to have to have a talk with him, but not tonight.

Riley’s bulky frame dwarfed Buffy’s naturally petite frame on the couch. After making dinner and eating, they settled down in front of the TV to watch a movie. His arm was weighing on her shoulder as he tried to bring her body closer to his. Half way through the movie Buffy felt Riley adjust himself to make his move on her. Getting up, Buffy walked in the kitchen to get away from a potentially embarrassing confrontation. However, Riley followed her into the kitchen. “What’s going on, babe?”

Buffy shuddered at his pet name. “Nothing just needed to get up and stretch.”

Riley moved towards her and tried to wrap his arms around her. Buffy shrank back and Riley stepped back. “You know I can’t stand to be lied to, what is going on with you. We haven’t had any time to be alone together and now that Dawn in on her date and we are, you keep shrinking back from me.” Buffy looked up into his eyes and he sighed. “We’re breaking up, aren’t we?” She nodded. “Why?”

“I don’t love you like you should be, I’m sorry.” She hated seeing the look of pain in his eyes, but didn’t he see hers?

“Does this have anything to do with Spike?” Riley sneered the last part of the question.

“What? No, why would this have anything to do with him?” Buffy looked genuinely confused.

“Because you compare me to him.”

“I do not!” A little voice in Buffy’s head said, ‘Yes you do. You compare all men to Spike.’

“Don’t lie to me. I know you do. You tell him your secrets. I know you do. You don’t tell me your secrets, your thoughts, your fears. You tell HIM those.”

“That’s not true, Riley. Anyway this has nothing to do with Spike!”

“Keep telling yourself that, Buff. Maybe one day you will believe that. You compare everyone to the pedestal you call Spike. He isn’t perfect Buffy. You read what five lines from him every week and you automatically think he’s GOD. He isn’t Buffy and the sooner you figure out that the better you’ll be.” Riley grabbed his coat and left slamming the front door. Buffy stood there stunned beyond words at what Riley just said. Was it true, did she hold up everyone in her life to Spike?

April 1998

Buffy decided that Cordelia was right. Have fun while it lasted so Buffy walked up to Goldilocks and waited for Spike. She wore a pair of faded blue jeans a purple halter-top. Her dark blonde hair hung loosely around her shoulders. Five minutes after 6, she spotted him walking towards her with his friend from the previous night. He was wearing the same thing as he did last night, a black shirt and jeans. Noticing her, Spike increased his pace towards her. She stood up, away from the wall as he came forward with his arms open. Spike picked her up and twirled her around. Finishing the twirl, her mouth came down on his as they kissed Hello. “Hey, Buffy. I missed you.” His deep, sexy voice reverberated through her.

Buffy said the first thing that popped in her head. “I love it when you say my name.”

“Really?” He stuck his nose near her ear and whispered, “Buffy, Buffy, Buffy.”

Giggling, Buffy looked over at Spike’s friend. “Hi, I’m Buffy, you must be Xander.” She disengaged herself from Spike’s embrace and stuck her hand out.

“Xander is me,” They shook hands and Spike retook possession of Buffy’s body with his arm around her shoulders.

“So, Xander here got us an invite for a barbeque on the beach. Want to go, pet?” With her nod, the trio walked towards the beach.