Author's Chapter Notes:
I promised three chapters... and here they are... and yes, Ch 9 should be that short.

Thank you for all the reviews, you make my soul soar.
Chapter 9


What? Huh? Buffy? OH MY GOD THAT WAS BUFFY!! How did he not see it?



William shot out of the chair and ran down the hall, looking for her. Finding her office empty, he continued to search to no avail. Elizabeth “Buffy” Summers has left the building.


Chapter 10


She raced home. Luckily the traffic was going in the opposite direction and there were no cops out. Buffy ran up the steps and into the apartment. She called her boss, Mr. McNally while she was driving, explaining that she had a family emergency come up and couldn’t come to work. He took the excuse well enough and hoped she could get Dawn on the straight and narrow.



Buffy passed the answering machine and saw it blinking, hitting replay she stood and listened. “Buffy. Are you there? God damn it, pet, pick up!” Click. “Buffy? Are you there?” Click. Breathing a sigh of relief, Buffy went to go change. The best way to drown her sorrows was a big carton of chocolaty ice cream. After changing into her sweat shorts and t-shirt, Buffy grabbed her favorite comfort food and clicked on the television. Scanning the channels she noticed Montel, Jerry Springer, various court shows, and not much else. Sighing, the phone rang. She let the answering machine get it. “OK, pet. I am going to keep calling this number until I know you are all right. If you want me to stop calling, then pick up the BLOODY phone.”



“Um, hi!” She picked up the phone and spoke in.



“Thank god!”



“I’m ok, you can stop calling.”



“Don’t you dare hang up on me!”



“Mr. Bennett…”



“Don’t Mr. Bennett me!” She could hear the repressed anger in his voice.



“Spike…”



“That’s better.” His voice wasn’t as tight, but she could hear the strain still in his voice.



“I’m sorry. I never meant for this to happen.”



“I know. If you had your way you would have never let me have your phone number.”



“That’s not true…” There was a knock at the front door, probably a neighbor checking to see if she was OK.



“Yes it is and you know it.”



“I was trying to tell you… hold on there is someone at the door.” She stalked over to the door and peered out. It was Spike; well, it was Spike in a suit, which meant it was William Bennett. “You know I’m not letting you in.”



“You know you are.”



“No, go back to the office.”



“Not without you.” She looked through the peephole and saw his grimace.



“Spike, please…” She stepped away from the peephole. She couldn’t bear to see him right now.



“No, Buffy let me in right now or I swear I am going to break this door down.”



“You wouldn’t.”



“Step away from the door, Buffy.”



“OK, OK… just don’t kick the door down.” She released the different locks and opened the door.



“Finally,” he stomped in the apartment and shut off his cell phone. “I’ve been bloody calling you for forty five minutes.” He watched her as she calmly closed the door and leaned her head against the wood.



“There were only two messages on the machine.” She said quietly.



“Doesn’t mean I wasn’t calling.” He looked around the room it looked comfortable and inviting, just like how he remembered her.



“I’m sorry,” she turned around to face him with tears running down her cheeks. “I never meant for you to find out that way.”



“You never meant for me to find out.” He went over to her and brought his hand up under her chin. The pain and guilt in her eyes was his undoing, “Sh, don’t cry. You don’t know what it does to me.”



“I was trying to tell you…” His thumb was catching her tears as they ran down her face.



“Sh, I know.” All Spike wanted to do was comfort this tiny woman he had come to love.



“I’m so sorry.” She collapsed in his arms. “I was going to meet you tomorrow, I was.”



“I know, kitten.” He picked her up and headed over to the couch.



“I didn’t mean…”



“I know that, luv. Sh.” He held her in his lap as she cried. “I’m going to take care of you. Sh.” He rocked them for minutes as her sobbing continued. “Never thought our reunion would be like this.” She snorted. “See I knew I could get a laugh.” He ran his hand up and down her back, soothing her. “The way I saw it was you were going to be in my arms crying out my name, not just crying.” Her sobs stopped and she peered up at him.



“I’m sorry.”



“Don’t be, luv.”



“Stop calling me that.”



“Why?” She disentangled herself from him and stood up.



“You know why.”



“No, I don’t, Buffy. Please tell me. Tell me anything.”



“I was trying to when Miss Big Mouth came in.” Buffy sat down next to him on the couch. The living room wasn’t very big and didn’t have many places to sit, just a couch and a chair that was filled with Dawn’s schoolbooks.



“How do you think I was going to react?” He reached for her hand and entangled their fingers.



She shrugged and looked down. “You know the funniest part? You didn’t even recognize me.” She peered at him with a glint in her eyes.



“Oi, pet! To my credit you didn’t have all that hair flowing down to there! And it wasn’t from a bottle either.”



“I can’t believe you just said that!” She slapped his shoulder.



“And the make up pet. Make you look totally different. I’m used to envisioning my natural princess.” She snorted. “Exactly.” She looked over at him and he looked at her. “So where do we go from here?”



Buffy looked like she was the deer caught in the headlights. “Friends?”



He shook his head, “No.”



“What?” She took her hand away from his.



“I will not be just another BLOODY friend to you, Buffy!”



“Spike, please…” Spike got up and started to pace. He was in bad need of a cigarette.



“How many times did I ask you… beg you… please give me a crumb? And, you never did. You wouldn’t give me your real name, Ms. Elizabeth Summers, or your address, or your phone number. Don’t please me now.”



“Spike, I didn’t want to hurt you.”



“No, you didn’t want to hurt yourself.”



“Ok, that may be true, but I still was thinking of you, too.”



“Were you thinking of me when you told me you were a senior is college instead of high school?”



“You caught that?”



“Of course, I did. I didn’t even know it was you but I memorized Elizabeth Summers fucking file. I was so impressed with this young woman who turned the office around with in a month. I know when you graduated high school, left college to help your mom and little sis. God, I should have put two and two together!”



“Are you going to fire me?”



“Are you daft?” Spike couldn’t believe his ears. “Didn’t you hear a bloody word I just said?”



Buffy stared at the angry man in front of her. “So what are you going to do?”



“What am I going to do?” Spike shook his head and stomped over to her. He kneeled in front of her and took her hands gently into his. “I’m going to love you,” he whispered before he kissed her mouth.



Leaning back, Buffy stopped the kiss before it barely started. “No!”



Sighing, Spike said, “What now?”



“No, we can’t do this. You’re my boss.” She stood up and walked away from him and into the kitchen.



Following her, “Technically, yes. I am above you,” he smirked, “but I am not your boss.”



“You have authority to fire people.” She looked away, leaning on the sink.



“Not normally. I wasn’t even supposed to come on this trip. The other VP stepped out at the last minute and I stepped in.” He stepped closer to her, resting his hands on her shoulders.



“Spike we can’t.” He caressed her shoulders and squeezed them.



He tugged on her so she would turn around, “Yes, we can.” As his mouth swooped down on hers, she parted her lips. Their tongues tentatively met, saying hello to each other again. She fully turned into his arms and wound her hands up to his shoulders. Spike picked Buffy up and set her on the counter. His hands explored her back as the kiss deepened even further.



Pulling away, Buffy breathed deeply, “So where do we go from here?”



“One step at a time, baby. One step at a time.” And their mouths met once more.