Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you guys enjoy and to all those of you who reviewed a big thank you!!!
Buffy padded down the stairs happily, expecting her mom to already be awake and making -her favorite blueberry pancakes as she did for every birthday and to her complete and utter dismay she found a note tapped to the fridge instead.

“Buffy,

I’m sorry I can’t be here to see my baby on her sweet sixteen but I had an urgent business meeting to attend, I’ll be home late next week and we can celebrate then. I know you must be angry and that’s why I promise to give you a ton of gifts, one of them is waiting in the living room right now. Please don’t hate me, I’ll call you when I can.

Love you sweetie,
Mom.”


Buffy fought back the harsh sting of tears, her mother had never missed a birthday before and now she was missing one of the most important ones.

“Can this day get any worse?” she asked herself as she walked over to the answering machine and pressed play.

“Buffy it’s Angel, it’s really late so you’re probably sleeping but I can’t bring myself to do this tomorrow, not on your birthday. I’m sorry Buffy but it’s over. I hope we can still work together and you know that I care about you it’s just that I’ve met someone else and...”

Buffy didn’t wait to hear the end of it and deleted his message, walked back upstairs and showered. She just wanted to get out of the house for a little while and even though she felt like shit she didn’t want to be cooped up today, especially not in the house that held so many horrible messages. She hopped in the shower, she’d phone Oz in a few hours, ask him to meet her somewhere for lunch or something but right now she knew he wouldn’t be awake.








Spike had woken up pretty early and gone for a run, it just so happened he was headed in the direction of a certain blond’s house. He swore to god he didn’t do it on purpose it just ended up that way, he went where his feet led him...or more truthfully; his heart.

By the time he had gotten home from Xander’s last night his father had thankfully been sleeping and he’d managed to sneak out for his run before he woke up. It wasn’t that he didn’t like his new look; it’s just that if it shocked him how the hell would his Da’ react? He turned up his mp3 player a little bit, letting the sounds of the music take over his thoughts. He’d only moved to Sunnydale last year but the second he’d spotted her he knew he needed to taste her or die trying. He wasn’t in love with her, he didn’t know her well enough but he knew that he could be and that was more than something small to him. That was hope and hope was all a person could really ask for from life.

He had hated this place at first, what kind of bleedin’ name was Sunnydale? He had pictured old ladies in bikinis and even older men from the viagra commercials roaming the streets and talking about their grandchildren. And then he had seen her. Her california tan, her shampoo commercial hair, those lips that taunted him when she smiled, as if daring him to kiss them. But the thing that had done him in had been her eyes. He’d never seen that kind of green before, it was dazzling really. And the way they shone when she spoke to her friends amazed him, he’d never seen so much spirit in a girl her age. Not that she was too young, she was turning 16 today he thought with a smile. A sweet sixteen for a sweet girl.




Buffy stepped out of her house in her running shorts and sports bra, ready to go for a run to blow off some steam when she saw him and froze.

A tight white wife-beater, loose gray sweat pants, platinum slicked back hair and the most chiseled features she’d ever had the privilege to lay eyes on.

She knew him from somewhere...

“Oh my god” she said out loud and took off after him not completely realizing what she was doing.

Spike looked at the address of the house he was running passed and stopped dead in his tracks, he’d passed hers and missed his chance at ‘coincidentally’ catching a look at his goddess. Just then he flew forwards and his hands shot out to stop him from hitting the pavement face first.

He stood and wiped the small pebbles from his pants and palms, turning around furious.

“Who the fuck do you think you...” the shock at seeing who had run into him had him shutting up in a split second.

There she was in nothing but a sports bra and shorts, make-up free, hair streak free and looking more beautiful then he could ever have imagined.

“I am so SO so sorry!” Buffy spat out, her face turning a deep shade of red.

“S’okay, let me help you up” he said and she took his offered hand. He was surprised that he had even managed to say that without passing out.

Without realizing it he had bent down to start wiping the tiny rocks from her bare skin using the gentlest of touches, his worry that she was hurt overcame his usual shyness.

Buffy stood dead still as his feather light touches skimmed over her skin, already she was more turned on than Angel had ever made her feel. She began to fidget when the thought of his fingers running over a different place then her legs came to mind.

William immediately backed away when she moved and stood back up. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.”

Buffy blushed, “Thanks for seeing if I was okay.”, ‘GET BACK DOWN THERE’ she silently screamed.

He let out a silent thank you to god that she hadn’t thought he was just being some sick pervert.

“You sure you’re okay?” he asked, needing to hear her verbalize that nothing was broken even though he could plainly see that wasn’t the case.

“Ya, thank you William. I really didn’t mean to knock you down.”

“You know me?” he asked in shock.

Buffy lowered her eyes, “Ya, I go to school with you...I’m Buffy, Buffy Summers” she said extending her hand.

He took it in his, the warmth of her tiny hand in his own seemed to give him confidence.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Buffy but I DO know who you are.” he said with a gentle smile and added, “I didn’t think you knew me” he explained.

Buffy laughed out loud, “How could I not, you’ve pretty much won every academic award our school gave out last year.”

“Right then, I guess I’ll be on my way” he said softly and Buffy realized she had insulted him.

“I didn’t mean it offensively, I just meant that you’re the smartest guy that’s gone to Sunnydale High, like, ever. It’s refreshing to know schools don’t just spit out jocks anymore.”, she was grasping at keeping this conversation going and she knew it, she just didn’t care.

“Anyway” she continued, “I was just about to go for a run when I saw you pass my house. I was trying to catch up to you when you stopped and I steam-rolled you” she said with a nervous giggle.

“Did I drop something?” he asked confused, checking his pockets for his keys and cell phone and finding both of them and giving her the strangest look.

“No” Buffy said softly, “I, uh, guess I better head home now, I’ve got to get ready for tonight.” she explained half-heartedly. ‘Great, now he probably thinks I’m a retarded stalker or something’. She wanted to get out of there before she did anymore damage.

‘She probably has a date with that angel wanker’ he thought to himself, he didn’t know why but something had never sat right with him about her boyfriend and it wasn’t just the jealousy.

“Alright then”, he could have beaten himself up right then and there but he couldn’t think of anything to say for the life of him, he was still shocked to be standing that close to her.

“Well, bye...” she mumbled.

He nodded his head, “Bye Buffy” he replied softly and took off at a slow run, a million things going through his head. A few seconds later he heard her call out to him,

“Hey William....”

“Ya?” he asked turning around but continuing to jog.

“You look good... not that you didn’t before but this suits you too” she said with a soft smile and turned around, heading home.

His breath caught in his throat, Buffy Summers had just complimented him, talked to him and smiled at him all in the span of 10 minutes. For a second he thought he was having a heart attack before he remembered to breathe and then his happy high crashed. He hadn’t even said happy birthday to her. He was such a bloody wanker he thought to himself as he walked home slowly. How did he even stand a chance with a girl like her if he couldn’t even put 5 sentences together in front of her?

Buffy waited until she was sure he couldn’t see her anymore and smacked her forehead, ‘Stupid stupid Buffy! Could you have made yourself look like anymore of an ass in front of him?’

She sighed as she reached her house, back to reality. She thought about Angel for a moment and laughed, truth be told she had completely forgotten about the prick the second she’d seen William. Buffy walked into the living room and her eyes popped, she’d completely forgotten about her mom leaving her a gift...she picked up the box and shook it. It sounded like the rattling of keys she realized as she held her breath...

That or she’d just totally broken something valuable...


Please let me know what you thought guys, im having fun writing this and I’d like to know if you’re having fun reading it ;)

Special thanx to PhotgraphyNut, blondiebear, *bite me*, Crystal Pegasus, MidnightGirl,Maggie, cordykitten, Angie, ash and Pulchra. You guys kick ass and this chap’s for you