Lois was barely even paying attention to where she was going. She was focused, mainly, on not letting loose the floodgates. She hated to cry, and it seemed ever since Superman came back around that was all she did.

Scratch that. Ever since Superman’s introduction to her life. She’d become that girly crier she tried so hard not to be. No one paid any attention to a docile female reporter, after all. She was one of the guys; she could bust balls with the best of them, and sometimes even more. She supposed it was somewhere along the lines of the Napoleon complex: Make up in extreme ways for what you lack. Clark, she knew, had harbored a crush on her back when he first arrived at The Daily Planet. It was nice; sweet. Her ball busting was something that goofy Clark actually liked, had been drawn to. And now, in light of what she knew, perhaps it was because he could live vicariously through her while he was Clark instead of strong, untouchable Superman. And Superman…Superman…God, she couldn’t even think of him without getting all wistful and sappy.

She could now add “Annoyed” and “Angry Beyond Belief” to that list.

They were one and the same, and she had to stop comparing and contrasting them. Had to stop thinking of them as two different people. He was the same man. But which part of Superman was Clark, and which part of Clark was Superman? That was a legitimate question right? There had to be a middle ground somewhere with “them”. Of course it was obvious that Clark was a bumbling nerd of Potsie-like proportions so as to hide the fact that Superman was agile, smooth and well, a superhero. She got it. She just didn’t like that he hid from her. They created a son together for crying out loud! How could he not tell her the truth! She needed him to help with Jason, and Jason, Jason who was just discovering that he had some power, needed him.

Looking up, Lois found a sign staring back at her: Willy’s. Great. A seedy bar. Just what she needed.

********


Buffy yawned loudly, unable to keep it in anymore despite the intense conversation she and Spike were having.

“Am I boring you, pet?” Spike asked, cocking his head to the side.

“No, I just think the day is catching up with me. And the night. I suppose I should go home…” Though she really didn’t want to. Her mom was out of town, and had been for a while now, doing some kind of Women’s Empowerment Retreat with some of her friends. She was kind of sad about that, actually. Her mom would have loved to meet Superman.

“That doesn’t sound like you really want to go,” Spike observed, sounding hopeful.

She kicked sheepishly at the floor, her hands twining behind her back in a docile, kittenish manner. She looked down at the floor and then up at him coyly. “I kind of really don’t.”

“Oh?” His voice had a husky timbre to it.

“Well, see, my mom’s been gone for a while and I’m really kind of tired of being alone, especially after what happened tonight. But I could really use a shower to get the goo off me, and I know you have a shower but it’s only cold—“

“Buffy?”

“What? Shut up, right?”

He smiled at how adorable she was. “How about I come with you to your house?” he suggested smoothly. “I’ll sleep on the couch or on the floor in your room. Keep you all safe and sound like.”

She broke into a wide grin. “Really? You’d do that?”

He looked at her incredulously. “After all I’ve said to you about loving you, and you still doubt I would?”

“You have a valid point. I’m just being silly. Yeah, that works. Do you need to pack a few things or anything? Like, oh, that Old Spice body wash?”

He wrinkled his nose in disgust. “I got rid of that, thank you. After you told me I smelled like the bloody Poof, I couldn’t bear to use it anymore.”

“So, what are you using now?”

“Dial soap.”

It was her turn to wrinkle her nose.

“But I purchased Eternity for men cologne.”

She broke out in a wide grin. “I love that stuff!”

He smiled. “I know. Xander told me. He said you always hang around him more when he wears it. Now you can hang around me more.”

Smiling, she threw herself in his arms, hugging him. “Thank you.”

Not one to be put off by any show of affection from the woman of his dreams, Spike hugged her back tightly, burying his face in her neck. “For what?”

“Well, you know that Xander wears the cologne that I like, and it didn’t bother you to get it even though you know he wears it. That means a lot.”

“Well, you know I don’t mind the Whelp too much,” Spike said easily.

“I know, but still. And it pleases me to know that Xander even told you what kind to get on my behalf. That makes it that much easier.”

“You mean easier when you have to tell them about us?” Spike asked softly, bracing himself for the outburst of ‘I’m not telling them jack about us!’

“Exactly,” she murmured.

*********


Lois thought perhaps she’d made a mistake when she entered the bar. The bar appeared to have an even tougher crowd than she thought, and from the way the bartender eyed her suspiciously, she got the distinct impression he was wondering what the hell she was doing there. She glanced around, quickly, not really focusing on anyone, not wanting to give anyone the idea that perhaps she wanted to talk to them. She wanted to give the impression she was alone and meant to be alone. She didn’t even look up at the curious bartender when he asked for her order. Calmly, digging in her purse for money, she ordered a Scotch on the rocks and laid out her money. She looked up, and saw her reflection against the wall among bottles of booze.

She nearly screamed when she saw behind her a demon sitting at a table. Her eyes frantically scanned the area behind her in the mirror. There were a few other demons, and, she realized, the human looking ones had to be vampires.

Great job, Lois, she told herself, thinking on how to bolt without drawing unwanted attention to herself. Oh God, the last thing she needed was another vampire attack. She just had to go and make Clark stay behind. She just had to go and tell him –

“Mind if I join you?”

Lois nearly sagged in relief when she found Clark standing there. “You came,” she whispered.

“Sorry—“

“No, don’t be sorry.”

He looked at her, surprised.

“I am working on admitting when I’m wrong,” she explained. “If you weren’t here…”

“Figured you’d tell me I was being controlling again,” he said, sliding in next to her and ordering a beer.

“Well, I’ll deal with that later. Now I’m just happy you’re here. I didn’t realize this was …” she glanced nervously into the mirror, “Well, you know.”

“I remember Spike mentioning it in passing. Something about kitten poker.”

“Do I want to know?”

“Probably not. However, this might have been brilliant on your part Lois. Your penchant for getting into trouble and not listening –“

She glared at him.

“—might pay off in this instance. With my hearing, we might be able to pick up some information.”

“Yes, you do that. And then we’ll circle back to your controlling ways, okay?”

Clark groaned in answer and Lois smirked triumphantly.