Chapter 14

Xander, Willow, Buffy, and William were sitting under a big Chestnut tree in the quad the following lunchtime.

“You passed! Not that there was any doubt – what was your percentage?” Willow asked.

“Um…I can’t remember” William said, embarrassed.

“Don’t be modest! – He got 97%, top score like, ever, ever, ever - he’s SO clever, and I’m SO proud of him!” Buffy kissed his cheek, she was grinning.

William smiled modestly and pulled at a few strands of grass. Buffy lay down and used one of William’s thighs as a pillow.

“Oh my gods, have you see who Cordelia’s new BF is?” Willow asked.

“BF?” Xander asked, puzzled.

“BF, Best friend. Look” Buffy lifted her head, shielded her eyes, they all looked over.

“Oh my gods, not Harmony! – She’s the school bike!” They saw Harmony, her arm threaded through Cordelia’s, and they were walking slowly across the quad. Standing by the rubbish bins, having a crafty cigarette, stood Angel, Ged, Marco, and Nathan.

“Where’s Taylor?” Ged asked, passing the cigarette to Angel. Three voices in unison said simply,

“Court”

“Oh yeah…I forgot”

“Think that Cordelia’s old woman will have you prosecuted?”

There was one thing you could always rely on, and that was for Ged to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Marco and Nathan both pulled a face and winced. Angel scowled.

“She wouldn’t fuckin’ dare…I’ll torch her bloody poncy two-car fuckin’ garage, with the two fuckin’ cars, and preferably with her, fuckin’ in it, if she does”

“She’s got a lovely Merc convertible, and a BMW” Marco said. Angel just blinked wearily at him. He wondered why he hung round with these losers sometimes…His eyes, as usual, were on Buffy, and his mood mellowed.

“Not long now!” Angel said grinning, taking the now practically finished cigarette off Ged, took the last drag, and flicked it away.

“Not long for what?”

“Not long, my friend, ‘til that fucking guard-dog of a brother of Buffy’s toes it to Harvard…then I can sli-i-ide into her saddle without him reporting everything back!”

He ground his hips forward and sneered at the same time, making his mates grin with envy.

“I heard he got like, 120% in his exam” Nathan said.

“Don’t be an asshole, you can’t get more that 100%…you jerk!” Angel said. The others had heard the same, but pretended they knew Nathan was being an idiot for saying what he did.

“120%…what a fuckin, no-brainer!” Ged said, making them all grin at Nathan’s idiocy.

“Only saying what I heard!” Nathan said, indignantly.

“Hey up…way-hay! Can you see what I can see?” Marco said grinning.

“What, what?” Ged quickly put his sunglasses on, so he wouldn’t miss anything. They all automatically looked over towards Buffy and co, but then they saw Cordelia and Harmony come into view.

“Hey, perhaps they’re swapping blowjob techniques…I hear that Harmony’s got a suck like a vacuum-cleaner!” They all screwed their faces up grinning.

“Ooh! Just imagine, being in bed with those two, you’d be knackered!” Nathan grabbed hold of his balls, shaking them.

“You wouldn’t, coz you wouldn’t know what to do!” Angel said, the others grinned.

“I so would, my cousin, Garry, told me loads, he’s been to Thailand, had three girls at once, they beg you for it over there, plus they’ll do like ANYTHING… he said he’s even seen girls fucking donkey’s and everything!”

While the others laughed, Angel wasn’t listening; he was watching the small squat figure of the principal standing under the tree, talking to William Campbell-Summers. He got up, leaving the others, and went with the principal.

Then Xander and Willow stood up and left. Buffy lay down under the tree. Angel thought he’d grab his opportunity while she was alone, to go talk to her.

“See you later” He said to his mates without turning round, and walked off.

“Where are you going…oh” Nathan started, then he saw where Angel was headed.

He got halfway across the path, and saw Parker walk up to Buffy, and stand over her. He was smiling.

Buffy put her head up, shielding her eyes, and then she sat up, put her cardigan on. Parker sat down by her.

As Buffy had her head turned, she didn’t see Angel making his way over to her.

Angel’s hands curled into fists, just briefly, he could just imagine smashing them into that ‘boy-band’ type pretty boy face of Parker Abrahams’.

He toyed with the idea of just walking passed them, but that meant going into the school building, and there was still 15 minutes of lunchtime left to go. Ignoring the fact that Parker was talking to her, Angel stood by her, effectively blocking the sun off her.

“Excuse me…” Buffy said to Parker. She turned her head to see it was Angel.

“Oh, it’s you. What do you want, no, strike that, go away, I don’t want to know”

“That’s not very friendly, is it? … Heard your brother passed his exam then”

“So?”

“So…he’ll be off soon”

“He’ll be off where who – what are you on about – look, just go away will you?”

“Your dear little brother…toddling off to Harvard!”

“Yeah, what about it?” Buffy looked away, rolled her eyes at Parker. He grinned, lay down next to her. Angel suddenly sat down next to Buffy. She sighed.

“What part of ‘go away’ don’t you understand? I told you I never want to speak to you again”

“You don’t mean that…besides which, you’re talking to me now!” He reached for her hand, and she pulled it away.

“Come to the prom with me?” Angel said

“What? – In your dreams…anyway, I don’t think I’m going” Parker’s heart sank at this news, but he didn’t react. He was just about to ask her the very same thing, when Angel had so rudely interrupted them.

Buffy saw William coming towards her, and she quickly stood, grabbed her bag and went up to him, saying a quick ‘bye’ to Parker.

“You ok, what did HE want?” William asked scowling

“Me, basically. To go to the prom with him. I think that’s what Parker was going to ask me too, but he didn’t get the chance”

“And you said?”

“Huh, in his dreams…told him I didn’t think I was going, anyway. So, what did The Penguin want?”

Buffy asked grinning, holding William’s arm. The Penguin was the nickname of Principal Joseph, on account of his short rather rotund stature and likeness to the Batman comic book character.

“Oh, just to make sure he got my results right, there’s a shout out in assembly tomorrow or something…big fuss if you ask me.” William said modestly.

Angel stood up, Parker made the mistake of lying down still, and Angel walked right over him, planting his foot firmly on Parker’s genitals as he did so.

Angel’s mates laughed from their huddle, watching Parker sit up and retch repeatedly, holding his groin area before rolling around in agony on the grass.




The Following Lunchtime

“Oh, why not? - But you must! I mean, it’s the last prom before we leave.” Willow said, putting down her ‘Reuben’ sandwich.

“Besides which, we were going to ask you to split the cost of a limo” Xander said.

“It’s only a dance…anyway, we’ll be in New England…looking for a place to live” Buffy said.

“Oh. You’re not going to live on campus then?” Willow said, looking quite surprised at William. A quick glance to Buffy told William that she hadn’t even told Xander and Willow that she was going with him.

“Erm, no. I erm…I get funny having to share facilities with strangers, bathrooms and that, freaks me” William said.

“Hmm…I know what you mean…that’s why I stopped going to Chantal’s house” Willow said.

“Why?” Buffy asked, plucking the glace cherry from her Danish, and putting it into her brother’s mouth.

“Because her gran died on the downstairs toilet, or the sofa…I don’t know, I just couldn’t sit on it again after that!”

“Oh, what happened to Parker yesterday?” Xander asked, cracking open his diet coke.

“Parker, I don’t know, why?” Buffy frowned

“Diane said she saw him being taken away in an ambulance yesterday lunchtime” Xander said

“Lunchtime? – But I was only talking to him yesterday lunchtime, just after you two left, he came over, lay down next to me, then Angel comes over…oh gods, did they fight? – How bad was he, was he unconscious? – Was there blood?” Buffy panicked.

“I don’t know, that’s why I asked you, I thought you might know as he’s in your psych class” Xander asked.

“Who told you, about the ambulance, did you say?”

“Diane, Diane Robinson, she’s library prefect, she saw it from the window”

“Calm down, love” William said.

“There she is…I must…” Buffy stood, having spied the girl in question at the dinner counter. She manoeuvred her way between the coffee tables and bags, and dashed over to Diane, and asked about Parker.

The others saw Buffy nodding, and a minute later, she came back over and sat. They all looked at her expectantly.

“Angel kicked him in the nuts or something, there wasn’t an actual fight as such…but he’s out from playing football for a couple of weeks, the coach is furious, wants Angel suspended.

Willow stopped sucking on her straw.

“Huh, imagine the trouble he could get into out of school, let alone while he’s………um, sorry” Willow said.

“Sorry? Why sorry?” Buffy asked, biting into her apple.

“Well, I know he’s your ex and all…”

“Ex being the operative word, I don’t know WHAT I ever saw in him” Buffy said. Both William and Xander smiled at this.

“Sure you won’t change your mind – about the prom?” Willow asked.

Parker saw Buffy, and hoped she’d heard the news, thought he’d go for the sympathy vote, and came over to her, limping ever so slightly.

“Hi”
Buffy turned.

“Oh, um hi Parker…you erm, you ok? - I only just heard about you being hospitalised yesterday”

“Sore! Erm, did you mean that yesterday, or were you just trying to get rid of the creep – you know…about the prom?”

“I meant it, we’ll be in New England, looking for somewhere to live”

“Oh, um, erm, are you moving then?”

“Um…well, William, you know, going to Harvard, doesn’t want to live on campus” Buffy said. Her eyes were level with Parker’s groin, and briefly she wondered whether to ask about what happened.

“Tell you what, if things change, I let you know, ok?”
Parker grinned.

“Yeah, great…oh, s’cuse me, I must go, I’ve got to see the coach, bye…Mr Stein…Mr Stein” Parker called out to the coach as he was just about to leave the cafeteria.

“You mean, you wouldn’t go with me?” William said, pushing Buffy’s knee playfully.

“Course I would…he’s a nice bloke…but…I don’t know…” Buffy sighed.

“Just the type your mom and dad would like” Willow said.

“Exactly!” Buffy said, as if that statement explained everything that was wrong about him. She finished her apple. Both Xander and William rolled their eyes.


Angel, Ged, Nathan and Marco all came into the cafeteria laughing.

“…So then like a jerk, he turns and says to the cop, ‘they can’t ban me from driving, coz I’m already banned!’” Marco said.

“Angel Stebson, principals office NOW” Miss Morgan, the deputy said sternly from the door. The room had gone quiet.

Angel fixed an insolent sneer on his face, turned to look at her.

“I’ll be there, AFTER I’ve had some grub, ok, I missed breakfast, and if I was to pass out with the hunger and crack my head or something, well…(he sucked air in through his teeth) could be costly…” he shook his head grinning, so were his mates.

To save any further embarrassment, Miss Morgan left. Angel and his cronies slapped high fives at him getting one over her.

“Fucking lesbian…if she was to have a good shagging she wouldn’t be half so uptight” Ged said.

“Oh, so go on, what else did Simon’s old man do?” Nathan asked

“Nothing, driving while banned, got him 5 years, plus he’s got to serve another 3 because of what he did last time” Marco said.

“Taylor was fucking lucky to be let off with a fine and a caution…I thought he’d go down – boot-camp city!” Ged said.

“So did he, he was shitting himself this morning, you should have seen him, he had a suit and tie on, I think it was his old man’s, it looked miles too big for him, he looked a right faggot…” Nathan said. He’d seen Taylor leave for court as he lived opposite.

“That’s because he IS a faggot…” Angel winked and clucked his tongue at the serving woman, then said,

“Hello, darlin’, tell me, is the meat loaf cat, or dog? – I have my standards”

“It’s pork and turkey, don’t be cheeky”

“Just give us some fries………is that all I get?” Angel looked at what he considered a miniscule portion on the plate.

“That’s a portion” Angel stole a sausage from the hot plate, but had to turn, stick his burnt tongue out and waft the sausage in the air, it was hot.

“Fuck! It’s hot!”

“It’s a hot plate, wanker!” Ged said, but regretted it when Angel shoved the offending sausage down the back of his collar and pressed, sending hot grease down his back. Pulling him backwards, Angel hissed,

“Don’t you ever…EVER (he jerked him back further) call me a wanker again, you understand?”

“Ah, yes…yeah, sorry, ow, fuck, my back’s burning!” A large hand came over and removed Angel’s hand from Ged’s collar.

“I’ve just about had enough of you, you’re coming with me” The coach pulled Angel sharply away and he led him out, protesting about not having any lunch.

****

“A whole week off school, lucky bastard!” Nathan said.

“He was lucky he was only suspended a week, he’ll be out permanently next time.………4 ball, top pocket.” Ged took his shot, missed.

“His dad tried to ground him and get him to clean up the yard and that, but Angel said he’d tell his mom about that woman his dad’s fucking while she’s out on nights, so, he’ll be out later.” Nathan took his shot, clearing the table, thus winning the bet.

“That’s your round then, Ged………Angel!”
Angel swaggered in, his usual insolent sneer on his face.

“Get us a Bud” Angel handed Ged the money.

“So, what happened?” Nathan asked.

“That fucking lesbian complained to The Penguin, and coach Frankenstein heard, he’s pissed at me coz Parker’s out for a fortnight, he’s gonna miss a vital game or something, like I give a shit, fucking wuss.”

“You did stomp on his dick” Ged said, handing Angel his beer. Angel took a long swig out of the bottle, grinned, and then said,

“Yeah, I did, didn’t I…(his mates grinned) I’ll do more than that if he doesn’t keep away from my Buffy, I’ll cut his bollocks off next time and make him eat them!”

“So, you two back on then, she going to the prom with you?” Ged asked.

“PROM!” Angel spat out the word, and had a look on his face like someone had told him he’d got to go to church or something.

“Get a grip…prom, as if I’d be seen dead at such thing”

“I was going to ask Rachel Stevens” Nathan said.

“Who’s she?”
“Girl in my history class, saw her doing gym the other day…lovely pair of tits on her, all big and bouncy” He made a ‘weighing’ gesture with his hands. They all grinned at him.

“Carry a white stick does she?” Angel asked, draining his beer. Nathan was about to tell him to go fuck himself, but remembered the previous day’s incident with Ged and the sausage, Ged’s back was a little blistered.

The only weapons to hand were pool cues or beer bottles, and Nathan didn’t fancy being hit with either.

*****************



Buffy sat on William’s bed, looking at her diary.

“So, school breaks on the 23rd, that’s the Friday, and the proms the next night, if we fly that day, it means we can have a full week of looking for a place to live.

We have a better chance of finding somewhere the earlier we go, you can register at your college, and then we can be back here in time to go on holiday on the 2nd, that sound ok to you, or did you want to go to the prom?”

“That’s sounds fine to me, not bothered about going to the prom” William sat up.

“Ok, I’ll tell dad, and we can book the flight tonight” Buffy said, closing her diary.

“Isn’t Willow disappointed that you’re not going?” William asked.

“They’ve got Anya and Riley to go halves on a limo, so…” Buffy shrugged.

“What time does this movie start tonight?” William asked her.

“Um…hold on…(She picked up the paper) 6.10pm, 8.00pm, or 9.30pm, take your pick.”

“Let’s go the 9.30, the 8.00pm will be packed, and we can go eat first,” William suggested.

“Ok, my treat, you’re always paying!” The telephone rang. And a few seconds later, Joyce called up the stairs to Buffy.

“Who is it?” Buffy mouthed from the top of the stairs. Joyce shrugged, said,

“Male”

“Not Angel?” Buffy looked big eyed.

“NO!” Realising she almost shouted that, Joyce dropped her voice.

“Sorry, no, I know his voice.”

Buffy picked up the receiver.

“Hello”

“Hello, Buffy? – It’s Parker”

“Oh, hi Parker”

“Um, fancy going to the movies, Matrix 2 is on”

“Well, actually, I was already going with William…but you could come too, if you wanted”

“Really, um great!”

“We thought the 9.30pm showing as the 8.00pm will be too packed, and we could go eat first”

“Sure, shall I pick you up or you come to mine”

“We’ll pick you up, ‘bout 8.00, that be ok?”

“Fine, I’ll be ready”
“Ok, see you then, bye”

“Bye” Parker put the phone down, and shouted, ‘YES!’ Ok, so William would be there, but at least he’d be with her, and it was a start!”

Buffy pressed the cut off digits on the phone to end the call, then phoned Willow.

“Hi, wanna come and see the Matrix 2?”

“Oh, Xander and I are already going, with Riley and Anya”

“Ok, well, meet up with us first, I’ve just agreed to going with Parker, he just phoned me, he knows William will be there, but I thought if there’s a crowd of us, it’ll seem less of a date, and William won’t feel like a gooseberry, were going for something to eat first, what do you say?”

“Um, Xander’s nodding…I’ll have to phone Riley and Anya, I’ll ring you back in 5, ok”

“Sure”

Buffy went into the kitchen and made coffee, the phone rang and Willow said it was fine; they made arrangements to meet at The Food Gallery at 8.15pm.

She took the coffee upstairs.

“That wasn’t who I think it was, was it?”

“No, it wasn’t Angel, it was Parker………” Buffy explained everything.

“Sure you don’t mind?” Buffy asked.

“Course not, I’d have been tempted to bail if it had been just us three.”

“That’s what I thought, and I don’t want Parker thinking it was a date, really”

“Why didn’t you just refuse?”

“I keep doing that, he’s a nice bloke…I’m a bit worried now, though”

“Why? - You think you’ve given him hope – of dating you properly, I mean?”

“No, it’s not that…I was going to tell him tonight, that I won’t date him as I’m moving away in a couple of months, so you know, best not to start anything. No, I’m worried about Angel, if he gets wind of it, what he might do to Parker,”

“Well…look at it this way, he’s still asked you out, even after what Angel did on Tuesday, and you can’t be held responsible for Angel’s actions, you’ve got your own life to lead.” William had draped his arm around her shoulder’s.

There was a soft knock at the door.

“Yeah? – Come in mom”

“Just wanted to check if you two will be wanting dinner tonight, I’m just going to do the veg” Joyce said.

“No, were going out to eat before the movie. That was Parker on the phone, he’s coming with us”

“A date?” Joyce smiled.

“Not really, there’s a gang of us going, and it’s pointless me dating him, I’ll be gone in a couple of months. Oh, we’ve decided to fly on the 24th, that’s the prom Saturday, we can have a full week of looking around, Will can register and we can be home by the 31st, in time to go to Florida with you on the 2nd”

“So, you’re coming to Florida with us!” Joyce grinned.

“Of course, like dad’s boss offer’s him his Miami beach house every week!” Joyce smiled.

“Ok then, your dad should be home at six, you can tell him then, and get your flight booked.”
As it happened, Hank was delayed, and was just pulling up on the drive as they were leaving, but Buffy had given her mom all the details, and Joyce said she’d sort it with him.

They got to Parker’s house; he had on brand new training pants and a zip up top over a tee shirt.

“Sorry about the pant’s, I um, I can’t wear jeans at the moment…too tight, the bruising, you know” Buffy and William winced, said they understood, and he looked fine.

“We’re meeting Willow and Xander, and Riley and Anya too, I hope you don’t mind”

“Um, no, course not” he felt little disappointed, but hey, he was still with her. Buffy decided to come clean in the car on the way to the Food Gallery.

“………So, it isn’t that I don’t like you or anything, it’s just that, well it’s silly to start something when I’ll be moving to New England, although we haven’t told anybody else yet, so if you’d just keep it to yourself, I haven’t even told Willow yet.

We might be having a party or just go to the Bronze or something, before we go, and I hope you’ll come”

“Sure, try keeping me away!” he grinned, although he felt like dying, he felt so disappointed, but, in another way, he was happy she’d told him, stop him falling for her too hard…huh, like he hadn’t already…


**

“I want Chinese” Willow said.

“I want Mexican” Xander said. That was the beauty of the Food Gallery; there was ten counters, each doing something different.

There was Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Burgers and Hot Dogs, Fish and Seafood, Vegetarian, Steaks and Chicken, A New York style Deli that did huge sandwiches and cakes, and a Jacket potatoes place.

“What are you going to have, Buffy?” Parker asked.

“Oh, William and I usually share a pizza”

“Oh. I was going to have pizza.” Parker said, really he fancied a Deli sandwich.

“Um, you go ahead, I think I’m going to have some ribs from the steak and chicken place, for a change” William said. Buffy smiled at him.

Riley and Anya had bought Riley’s older sister, Jenny along, she was pleasant enough, and no pressure was put on William to pair up with her, as she’d already got a boyfriend, he couldn’t come as he was working.

By sheer coincidence, Jenny’s boyfriend worked for Parker’s father’s company. Every one sat and ate their food.

“How can you eat that without a knife and fork!” Jenny asked as Anya sat down with a sandwich as tall as a skyscraper!

At 9.15, they went downstairs to queue for the movie. And who should be in the queue, albeit a little way behind them, but Marco, his brother Carl, and Taylor.

“Hey, look, look who’s up front!” Marco elbowed Taylor in the ribs.

“Who? – Oh yeah, that fucking lame brain Xander and his bird, what’s her name, thingy”

“Are they? – Oh yeah, no, I’m not on about them…oh, he’s there too.” Marco was craning his neck.

“WHO?” Taylor asked, exasperated.

“Parker Abrahams and Buffy Summers, but her brother’s there too”

“What…oh yeah, I think that that Parker’s with that dark haired bird though, Riley’s there too with that weirdo chick”

“You gonna tell Angel?” Taylor asked.

“Huh, am I fuck, did you see what he did to Ged in the canteen? – Oh no, course, it was the day you were in court. He pinched a sausage off the hot plate, and Ged called Angel a wanker or something, and Angel pushes the sausage down Ged’s collar and squeezes, so all the hot grease burnt his back”
Taylor’s eyebrows rose up.

“He goes too far sometimes, what exactly did he do to Parker then, it couldn’t have been a fight, else he’d have been suspended for longer”

“Parker was lying down under the tree in the quad, next to Buffy, she goes off, oh, Angel had been talking to her, and when she’s gone, Parker still lies there, and Angel just sort of walks on him, stomping him on the balls”

“OW!” Taylor grimaced. They heard a two-tone horn blow, and looked up to see Angel driving passed, staring at Buffy and co. Luckily at the time, Parker was talking to Jenny, and Buffy was standing next to William.

Angel shouted and gesticulated wildly at Taylor and Marco, pointing to his eye, then at the crowd. He had to stomp on his brakes, he nearly rear-ended a bus.

“Shit, fucking mad man, he wants us to watch Buffy and that.” Marco said. The queue started moving, and they all went inside. The cinema was full, as Angel found out after not being able to find a parking space.

He’d double-parked before now, and got towed away, and couldn’t afford that again. He swore when he saw the ‘House Full’ sign at the top of the steps. Still, at least he had two of his mates who would tell him the details. Least ways, they’d fucking better, if they knew what was good for them.

“I’m not going to spend $10 to watch Parker and Buffy and her cronies all night, I want to watch the movie!” Marco said.

“Look, I don’t think he was with Buffy, I think he’s with that dark haired bird I’ve never seen before, and that’s what we’ll tell Angel. Buffy sat with her brother, and that Xander’s girl.”

“Willow”

“Yeah, Willow, that’s it. Ok, we agreed? Tell him that Parker sat next to a dark haired bird, got his arm round her and everything, ok - I want to keep my bollocks intact.”

“Ok, agreed, man, he sure is gone on that Buffy though.”

“Can you blame him? – I mean, man she’s hot!”



At five to eleven, the gang came out of the cinema, and William had offered Jenny a lift home as she lived just round the corner from Parker.

Angel saw them coming towards their car, and stubbed out his cigarette. He breathed a sigh of relief, Parker wasn’t with Buffy after all, he was with that dark haired bird, still, he’d ask Taylor and Marco.

“Buffy…look” William touched her hand, and nodded subtly to the exit. Buffy just saw the taillights of the black Plymouth as the car screeched out of the car park.

Once all the cars had gone from the eight o’clock house showing, Angel had driven around until he’d spotted the car they used, (Joyce’s), he’d parked up and sat it out, waiting.

They dropped Jenny, then Parker, who gave Buffy a kiss on the cheek.

“With any luck, Angel will think that Jenny was Parker’s date” William said.

“Good job they bought her then. She was nice” Buffy said.

“So, when are you going to tell Willow that you’re coming with me to NE?”

“Well, I was wondering that myself. I don’t want to leave it until the party, and as I’ve already told Parker…”

“There’s always a chance of it getting out, the more people that know, the more likely it is that it WILL come out…how about…let me think, we go on the 24th, day of the prom, and come back on the 31st, we go to Florida on the 2nd, so, how about if we see her on the 1st, we can ask how the prom went, tell her then, and it’ll seem like the idea came to us while we were in New England, Parker won’t say anything different, not if you ask him.”

“Yeah, ok.” They pulled up on the driveway.

Joyce was just going to bed.

“I was just going to leave you a note, dad’s booked your flight via the internet, you fly on the 24th, at 10.25am flight from SunX, tickets will be through in a couple of days, but you’ll have to come back on the Friday evening, the 30th, all the flight’s for the 31st are fully booked.”

“Great, night mom”

“Night…oh, there’s some cold chicken in the fridge if you’re hungry”

“Thanks” Buffy said. Joyce went to bed.

“Want some?”

“No ta, full of ribs and pop corn still!” William said.

“Hmm, and me, go a hot chocolate though.”

**

“You sure?” Angel pumped them.

“Positive, look, Buffy sat by her brother the one side and thingy the other” Taylor said.

“Thingy?” Angel looked at him.

“Willow, he means Willow. And Parker had his arm round some dark haired bird I’ve never seen before” Marco added.

Angel grinned.

“Yeah, I saw them when they came out, ok, thanks, see ya!” Angel said, got in his car and drove off.
Marco blew his cheeks out, they both watched Angel drive off happy.

“Did he just thank us?” Taylor asked, incredulously, brow’s raised, then added,

“I better go, I’m supposed to be grounded coz of this court thing remember, and I don’t know what time mom and Chad will be back from this reception thingy they’ve gone to…what’s the time now?” Taylor asked

“Ten to midnight. So, who grounded you?”

“My mom, on dad’s insistence, Chad said he thought I’d had my punishment, but mom said she’d better follow dad’s wishes.”

“But your dad lives in Ohio, not a lot he can do about it” Marco reasoned.

“Hey, isn’t that their car, just turning into the road?”

“What? Shit, I’ll see ya, bye” Taylor took off and ran round the back of the house, let himself in, throwing his clothes off and diving into bed, putting on the TV just as he saw the lights of the car pull onto the drive. Five minutes later, Taylor’s mother stood by his bed, Chad stood in the doorway.

“How’s the headache son? I told your mom when I phoned you at 9.30, you said you’d got a headache” Chad said, obviously covering for him being checked up on.

“Oh, gone now, thanks, took some Advil” Taylor said understanding what must have happened.

“Hmm, poor baby! – Night-night!” His mom was a little drunk, she kissed his cheek sloppily, and swayed out of the door, and went into the bathroom.

“Where did you go?” Chad asked

“Just the movies, didn’t get into any bother”

“Ok…I knew you’d skip off out, that’s why I said I’d phone, made up the headache bit like I’d spoken to you, she’d have told your dad otherwise.”

“Yeah, um…you know, thanks”

“Just keep on behaving, right?”

“Yeah…night, Chad” Taylor turned the TV down. As far as step-dads went, Chad was all right. A hell of a lot nicer than his real dad, anyway.