Chapter 17


Meanwhile, back in Sunnydale

“So? – How do I look?”

“You look beautiful, my baby…! Bernice Rosenberg grabbed her daughter and holding her face, kissed her.

“Mom! You’ll smudge my lipstick!”

“My baby’s all grown up!”

Willow turned sideways to the mirror.

“Sure it isn’t…you know…TOO much…Oh, um it’s a bit early yet for Xander…” Bernice went to answer the door. A deliveryman handed her a beautiful orchid corsage in a box. She thanked him, and grinning as she read the card.

“Here, from Xander,” Bernice said, smiling, handing her daughter the box.

“Mom! You read the card!” Willow frowned at her mother, then smiled at the delicate bloom.

“What shall I do? – Wear it around my wrist, or tie it to the shoulder of my dress?”

The limo bibbed its horn, and she went out.

“Sorry…mom wants a photo…do you mind?”

“Well hurry up then it starts in twenty” Anya said.

Xander got out, and did up the middle button on his hired tux.
Ira Rosenberg fussed with the camera, and after a few minutes, the horn bibbed impatiently from outside. After taking a dozen shots, they left for the prom.

**

“We not allowed in without a ticket, and if you haven’t got a date” Nathan said.

“I don’t want to GO in, go in…I just thought I’d liven up the fruit cup…” Angel said.

“Listen man, they’re wise to everything, even hired security to cover the fire doors, and there’s TWO teachers ladling out the punch, one of them watching it at all times, you’d never get near it…” Marco said. Angel sighed…

“Gods, I’m so fuckin’ bored…there’s no excitement round here”

“Let’s just go, sit outside…see who’s gone with who” Ged suggested.
The others agreed, well, all accept Angel that is.

“You coming?” Ged asked. Angel exhaled smoke, threw his cig away…

“Why not, got nothing or no-one better to do…”
Angel made them stop at the 7-11, and bought a six-pack of Bud.

As they weren’t allowed on the school premises with their car, they parked opposite, sat on the benches, but they sat on the backrest, feet on the seat part.

“Where do all these fuckin’ limos keep coming from?” Marco asked.

“No! – Look…fuckin’ ‘ell!” Nathan said incredulously.

“What?” Ged asked, letting the beer spurt out of the bottle in his speed to look up.

“Don’t waste it, you wanker, else you’ll pay for it!” Angel said irritably, snatching the bottle back.

“Have you seen that, Parker Black, with that student gym teacher…oh, what’s her name…Spik or something, I think she is” Marco said.

“Wow, fit body on her…I wouldn’t mind giving it one…” Nathan said.

“You…you wouldn’t know what to fucking do!” Angel said with a sneer

“Alvarez, Celeste Alvarez, that’s her name. At least…um…” Ged trailed off.

“Least what?” Marco asked, craning his neck to see the next limos occupants.

“Nothing” Ged said. He was going to say at least Parker hadn’t gone with Buffy, but thought better of it, as Parker had put it about that Angel had asked her to the prom and she’d refused.

“Oh look, here’s Taylor”

“Hi”

“Gods, somebody give me a cig, I’m dying for one!” Nathan did. Taylor lit it and inhaled…

“Fuck! It’s making me light headed, with my mom sick I haven’t been able to sneak out…” He drew furiously on the cigarette, making sparks fly off it.

“Hey man…come on, give” Ged beckoned with his hand, Taylor passed it to him after taking another quick drag. Angel passed him an inch of beer in the bottom of the bottle.

“So how long are you grounded for?” Marco asked, taking the cig off Ged.

“ ‘Nother three weeks, unless I go work in my uncles shop, then I can come out from Monday” Taylor said, his turn with the cigarette again, he inhaled deeply.

“What shop’s this then – and how come we’ve never heard of it before?” Angel asked frowning.

“Coz he only just bought it…got some damages from being injured by a police car…it smashed into his car during a chase, three years ago”

“What happened?” Ged asked

“He’s just told us, dick head, his car was…” Nathan started

“I know that, I mean to his uncle, was he badly hurt?”

“Well, fire department had to cut him out of the car, he hurt all his insides, his stomach and that, smashed up his liver, they had to remove his spleen and he lost his leg from the knee”

“Fuckin’ ‘ell, bet he got millions!” Ged said. Taylor shrugged, dunno how much he got, ‘cept he bought a house, moved out of the trailer park, and now he’s bought a shop”

“Is he ok now, can he walk like?” Marco asked

“Oh yeah, when he’s got jeans on, you wouldn’t know, but he usually wears shorts, and his false leg is a cup like thing that goes over his stump, then two metal bars going down into a wooden foot, he hasn’t even got a limp”

“So, what kind of shop? – Gun store, Liquor store?” Angel asked hopefully.

“Nah…besides, he can’t drink anymore as his liver was all smashed up…”

“He’s supposed to sell it, not fuckin’ drink it…” Angel said testily.

“Aunt Jean wouldn’t let him…she got him growing vegetables, now he sells them”

“That it, vegetables? Angel said, rolling his eyes. – Figures, a vegetable serving vegetables!”

“Hey, nothing wrong with his brain!” Taylor said, grinding out the nub end.

“I meant YOU, you dick head!”

“Oh look, there’s that Xander Harris and Willow…who’s that with them?” Ged asked, squinting.
Angel looked up sharply, thinking that it might just be Buffy and William after all.

“Who…?” Angel began, and then saw it was Riley and that weird chick of his.

“Oh it’s Mr psych and his pet project…Man, she has got SUCH an attitude problem…she always seems so angry at something, and if you do something wrong, boy, does she let you know, doesn’t matter who you are, she doesn’t shut up” Ged said.

“Bit like you then!” Marco said, making them all, including Angel laugh. It felt good, when that happened.

“I was just thinking…” Angel said, smacking open another beer against the edge of the bench so the top flipped onto the grass.

“What?” Nathan said.

“It’s a shame that his uncle’s shop isn’t closer…we could have had a field day with some potatoes!” Angel said cryptically.

“What d’you mean, you hungry or something?” Taylor asked.

“Don’t be a jerk!” Angel said between slurps of beer

“What then, chucking them?” Ged asked

“No, you asshole! Well, if you stick a potato up the exhaust pipe of a car, it won’t go” Angel said, taking another swig of his beer.

“Fuck off!”

“S’true…my brother told me that, anything really, just so it closes the hole, fuck’s up the car” Marco said nodding.

“I saw that in that film…what was it now…?” Nathan frowned, clicking his fingers trying to think

“What film?” Marco asked

“I’m trying to think! – It had got that black dude in it, the one with the funny laugh…”

“Jamie Foxx?”

“Nah…fuck, this is driving me – EDDIE MURPHY! – In Beverley Hills Cop – he’s been watched by some guys and he sends them out a supper and while they are-”

“Yeah yeah, we saw it…” Angel said, then added

“Okay, whose got the smokes?” Ged lit a cigarette and passed it to Angel

“Imagine all those limos, with all their poncy capped chauffeurs, popping the hoods trying to find out what the problem was!” Ged said

“Then what you’d want, is a heavy rainstorm, so all the little ponced up girls and boys in their poncy hired tuxedos, and ball dresses got abso-fuckin-lutely soaked!” Marco said.

“Yeah!” Everyone agreed. They watched the steady stream of fancy cars arrive and depart, for half an hour, then the faint strains of music could be heard.
Angel was pleased to see that Cordelia Chase hadn’t gone, unless he’d missed her arrive…he decided to give her a call.

“Just making a private call” He said, to the gang, and walked off. He pressed Cordelia’s number. It rang, and then it was answered.

“You didn’t go then!” Angel said.

“I don’t know WHAT I, or my husband has got to say to you, to make you understand, Angel Stebson, if you contact my daughter in ANY way, shape or form again, I’ll-“

“Oh, go fuck yourself, Mrs” Angel ended the call. They’d either taken the phone off her, or her mother had swapped sim cards.
Mrs Chase stormed upstairs and banged open her daughter’s bedroom door, without knocking. Cordelia was already red-eyed from crying having to miss the very night she’d always dreamed of, hoping to become Prom Queen…

“What have we told you!”? She brandished the phone at her daughter.

“What?” Cordelia stared at her mother, her face a mixture of shock, surprise and hurt.

“That, that despicable, no good, trailer trash lay about, that’s what, he’s just phoned and-“

“Angela, calm down.” her husband appeared behind her, putting his hands on her shoulders.

“I won’t calm down, I’m going to have him prosecuted, I will NOT have -”

“Angela…Angela, look, listen…listen to me!” Cordelia’s father held her mother by the shoulders still, and very gently shook her, until she looked at him, her eyes blazing.

“It’s hardly Cordelia’s fault if he phones her, is it? – I mean, that type needs a lot of discouragement, but I think she’s been punished enough. You know how she’s always wanted to be prom queen….” He led his wife out of the bedroom.

Hot tears coursed down Cordelia’s cheeks, she’d never have another chance…A couple of minutes later, her father came into her room, knocking quietly on her bedroom door first, but not waiting for a reply, he came in, shut the door and came over and sat on the bed. He stroked the unusual-for-her unwashed hair.

“I’m sorry Princess…”

“Oh daddy!” Cordelia cried on her dads shoulder.

Angel stomped back to his mates. He got to thinking…it always seemed to be Angela Chase that dealt with things, she was a firebrand alright…he’d love to fix her stuck up, holier than thou, bitch attitude…show her a lesson she wouldn’t forget…He knew her car, she drove a BMW, black…nice car…nice car to run off some lonely road and teach the bitch to have some respect…

“What are you smiling at?” Marco asked

“Me…huh, just hearing how much she misses me, and my humongous dick!” He grabbed his crotch. The gang laughed.

“You seen her?”

“No, but she’s that horny, she reckons she’s gonna climb out and see me when her parents have gone to bed”

“Lucky bastard…just think, all that pent up stuff, she’ll fuck your brains out!” Nathan said.

“Yeah…she will…then Buffy’s back!” Angel grinned.

“You gonna dump Cordelia when she does?” Ged asked. Angel made a face like he was thinking.

“Well, I’m sure I can manage the two…doesn’t do for them to see you every night of the week, unless it’s just for a quick bang…they start to think they own you see…want you to DO STUFF with THEIR FOLKS…it gets so fucking nauseating having to be polite, when you’d REALLY like to say, across the dinner table,

“Oh really, is that right Mrs Summers, yes, blue is the new seasons colour, but I don’t give a rat’s ass, coz last time I was at this table, I was shagging your daughter senseless on it!” The gang laughed nervously, they didn’t believe him, but they wouldn’t let on that they knew that he hadn’t touched Buffy, coz he’d get very annoyed with them if they did, and he could be very nasty…as James had found out, to his cost.

At ten to eleven, Taylor said he was going home.

“Hold on, I’ll walk with you” Marco said and they left the others to watch the departure from the prom.

“It’s all bullshit you know, about him banging Buffy” Marco said.

“Yeah, I know…I think he’s done Cordelia though, her mom was talking to somebody my mom knows.

“Yeah. But that night he said he was banging her for two hours straight; that was all bullshit.

“Was it?”

“Yeah, well, as Parker said, they didn’t come out of the pictures until ten to ten, and it was just under an hour later when he came to play pool”

“Yeah, but I thought he said he’d balled her twice before hand” Taylor said.
Marco shook his head.

“He couldn’t have, my brother drove passed his house, said he saw him, in his yard, throwing at the hoop, it was just gone seven, the movies start at eight”

“Well, I don’t know…I know Chad wants me to keep away from him” Taylor said.

“He’s alright isn’t he, Chad?”

“Yeah…saved me from being busted the other night, covered for me, you know, when I snuck out when they’d gone to that wedding reception. Mom was going to phone to make sure I was in, but he did, he knew I’d sneak out, he told her I’d got a headache. Taylor explained.

“So, you gonna work at this shop then?” Marco asked.

“Yeah…uncle Mikey said he’d pay me…so, why not?”

“Don’t blame you mate…I’d like to…break away from the gang…Angel’s too dangerous, man…well, you know, he’s getting bored, I can tell, and when he gets bored, he starts to want to do wacky things, dangerous things…and Ged’s just as bad, follows him like some fuckin’ lost sheep” Taylor nodded in agreement.

“I’ve never asked anybody else this, but do you believe him, about James, do you think it was him driving, or do you think it was Angel?” Marco asked. They slowed up as they neared Taylor’s house. Taylor looked at Marco, decided to trust him.

“Truthfully? I think Angel was driving, for the simple reason, he has scars on his left arm and hand, he says he got them from punching out the shattered windshield, but, if the car came to rest on the drivers side, and he’d been the passenger, he’d have been lying on his left arm inside the car, he’d have punched the screen out with his right. Those scars are from the glass in the drivers side window, I’m sure, plus how come he didn’t call an ambulance for ten minutes?”

“He said he was knocked out”

“Yeah, he said, or shifting James’ body to make it look like HE had been driving. What do you think?

“Well, I think it was Angel, coz of that row they’d had, and Angel kept calling James a ‘chicken’ and a ‘pussy’, and James said he could handle anything Angel cared to dole out to him”

“Don’t suppose we’ll ever know, give us a couple of fags ‘til tomorrow night, I’ll buy you a pack when I get paid?” Taylor asked.

“Here…got some more at home, my brother’s home on leave, got some toll free ones, just buy me a beer or something” he handed Taylor a pack with seven in.

“Cheers, you’re a mate” Taylor put them in his pocket.

“Eh up, is this Chad’s car?”

“Yeah, I’m not dashing in though, mom’s just seen me…” The car pulled up.

“Taylor Price, what are you doing out of the house, you know you’re grounded!”

“Oh, but mom, I’m working on Monday”

“Lighten up Doreen, he’s outside the house, and he’s only talking to his mate” Chad said locking the car.

Doreen looked at Taylor, then at Chad.

“Hmm…ok then, but you better have not gotten into any trouble, Taylor”

“I’m only talking, like Chad said!” Taylor moaned.

“Well, ok then, two more minutes, then you’re in” His mom said, going into the house. Chad nodded to Marco and said,

“You’re one of Vinny Peroni’s lads, aren’t you?” Chad said smiling

“Yeah, I’m Marco”

“Nice to meet you, son, you’re dad and I…were in ‘Nam together”

“Yeah?” Marco said, shaking Chad’s hand. Chad smiled at Taylor and nodding his head towards Marco, he said,

“He’s a big improvement on Angel. I’ll leave you to it, oh have another ten minutes, I’ll see your mom” Chad said, he winked at Taylor and said ‘goodnight’ and went in.

“He is a nice bloke, isn’t he?” Marco said.

“A hell of a lot better than my real dad…he was, IS a right bastard” Marco looked at his watch, quarter past eleven.

“I’d better go, I’ll see you in the week”

“Um, Marco…my uncle said something about me getting a mate to help deliver boxes of veg and sacks of potatoes and that, d’you fancy it, earn some moolah, keep us both away from the gang…we could keep it quiet, you know, not tell the others, you could do the driving”

“Really?”

“Yeah, and as Chad knows you, well, knows of you, he’ll put in a good word, keep us both out of Stebson’s way, like you say, he’s gonna blow sooner, rather than later, and I for one do not want to get caught in the aftermath, as mud sticks, I’ve got to keep out of trouble, else I’ll get 18 months slapped onto any new punishment, and it would be boot camp for sure for me”

“Well, yeah, great”

“I’ll give you a ring, let you know when and where, ok?”

“Great, see you then”




***************************



“Same sort of ‘set-up’ as the Bronze” Buffy shouted over the loud music.

“What you want to drink?” Benny asked.

“Ah-ah, our treat remember, put your money away!” Buffy said, closing her hand over Benny’s.

“But you left me $10 last night”

“Yeah but I mean, all that food!”

“Listen, when term starts, I’m hoping you’ll let me come study at your place sometimes, when I need a bit of peace!”

“Sure, you’ll be welcome anytime!” William said nodding. Benny knew they were telling the truth.

“Coke?” William asked Buffy

“Diet, please” Buffy said.

“Benny?”

“Same for me”

“Three diet cokes please,” William said to the barman.
The three of them turned from the bar sipping their drinks.

“Come on, you wanna meet some more people?”

“Sure”
Benny led them over to a table by the pool table.
A young black lad nodded to him.

“Carlton…(he beckoned him) this is William, and this is, Buffy, they’ll be living here soon, when term starts” Everyone was introduced.

Buffy danced with William and she danced with Benny. It was a nice place, wasn’t too busy, but they realised that a lot of people would be away, and once term started, it would get packed. By the end of the evening, they’d met at least two-dozen people, at least three girls had taken a fancy to William, and at least three guys had taken a fancy to Buffy. To be fair, they’d only met about seven girls, four of which were already spoken for.

The one girl, Eloise, was very self-assured, quite attractive, although she thought herself gods gift, took a real fancy to William, sat next to him, to the point of edging Buffy out. When she came back from the toilets, Buffy looked at her seat being taken. There was nothing for it. She went and sat on William’s lap. He said nothing, just hitched her up a bit and carried on talking. This ‘intrusion’ put Eloise off her stride a bit.

Eloise smiled acidly at Buffy, and then she got up to go to the toilets; Buffy took her seat again.

“Do you like her?” Buffy asked grinning, already knowing the answer.
William went wide-eyed with horror.

“I’ll take that as a ‘no’ then, shall I?”

“In every way possible!”
Eloise came back from the toilets, licked her lips, her eyes set on William.

“Shall we be going too, Benny’s tired.”

“Yes, I think Eloise is circling, homing in for the kill! I’m going to put a stop to her, here and now” Buffy said.

A tall guy called Owen, who had taken a shine to Buffy asked if he could see her the following Saturday.

“I’ll be back home then, well, strictly speaking, we’ll be in Florida, on holiday, we won’t be here until August”

“Oh, oh never mind, I’ll see you then” Owen said. Buffy smiled, thought ‘no way’.

“Ready?” William nodded.

They followed Benny out.

“I think Eloise likes William!”

“She’ll just have to like, I can’t stand her!” Buffy said.

“Owen likes you…so does David and Max!” Buffy just smiled.

“Well, that’s as maybe, but I promised mom and dad that I’d knuckle down, get some schooling done myself, it’s part of the deal me coming here, and I don’t want to get bogged down in relationships, I’ve got work to think of too, so would you mind if we kept it quiet about being brother and sister? –

I mean we’d much rather people think we were a couple”

“I think you’re quite right…you have so much else to think of first!”



***********************************


Cordelia lifted her head up off the pillow. Nothing, she must have been mistaken. Flopped back down. Hearing the noise again, she raised up, there it was again!

“’Delia!” Quickly she jumped up and opened her curtains, then her window.

“At last…come down” Angel whispered hoarsely.

“Angel! I can’t! My mom and dad are in the next room!” She turned her head expecting to see her irate mother standing at her bedroom doorway.

“Cordy…come on…I’ve missed you…so much!” Angel pleaded. Cordelia looked at her bedroom door, then back to Angel. Her heartbeat fast, she bit her bottom lip.

“This is crazy, mom’ll kill you if she finds out!” Cordelia hissed.

“Chance I’ll take!”

All Cordelia could think of, was ‘he must love me’! All Angel was thinking was, ‘I must get a shag’!

“Come round the side of the house…(she looked at the door again) I’ll climb through the bathroom window” she whispered as loud as she could.

“That’s my girl!” Angel nodded and grinned. Cordelia closed her window as quietly as she could, and then crept over to her bedroom door. She opened it a fraction, listened, then opened it a little wider.

There was no light on in her parent’s room, and she could hear snoring. Avoiding the squeaky floorboards she crept/ran across to the bathroom, then realised she needn’t have done, she was entitled to go to the bathroom after all! She went in, locked the door, put the light on, opened the window.

Angel stood on the grass. Carefully moving the stuff off the window ledge, and first kneeling on the closed toilet seat, she carefully slid one of her long legs over the sill. Sliding the other one out too, she slid her bottom forward, and dropped silently onto the roof. She came to the edge. It was about 7ft from the ground.

Angel came up and held his arms up, she turned and slid her legs over the edge…gods! – She hadn’t done this since she was about 12! She felt Angel grab her legs and help her down. She turned and kissed him eagerly, with passion.

‘Blimey!’ Angel thought, he should have done this ages ago, instead of reverting back to his hand…

“Oh, Angel, I’ve missed you, so much! I thought you didn’t want me, as I hadn’t heard from you in five days!”

“Hmm…you …kidding! Your mom…oh, set the dog on me!” He’d managed to get his zip open, and worm his hand up her top to her breast, he was kissing her neck.

“Oh…oh yes!” Cordelia ground herself up against his hardness.

“Touch me…” Angel managed between kisses. She dropped her hand and touched his hard cock over his trousers at first, until Angel helped by unzipping himself completely and she slipped her hand inside his fly.

“Oh gods, Delia!” Angel gasped. He began to fumble with her jeans zip, finally getting his hand inside, he was nearly breaking his wrist, but he managed to cup her mound, slip a finger between her soft folds. Cordelia groaned, bucked up.

“Oh, squeeze a bit harder…” Angel panted as she worked her hand back and forth.

“Oh yes, don’t stop! Oh, oh, oh, uhn, uhn, uhn, Aaaahhhhhh!” He panted, then pushed another finger inside her. Cordelia bit her lip, and rocked on his hand. She was making all sorts of little noises, Angel kissed her, and she actually came, he felt her inner muscles squeezing his fingers.

“Aaahhh!” She shook, and then relaxed against him, he removed his hand. She looked at him. They kissed again, and then zipped themselves back up.

“I’ve missed you” she said softly.

“Yeah…well, you know, I missed you…He pulled her in for another kiss. They kissed for a little while.
The dog barked.

“Angel, I’d better…um, come tomorrow?”

“Course, bring a blanket”

“Ok. Um, help me back up?” Angel cupped his hands, and Cordelia put her foot in it, and putting her hands on the roof, she levered herself up, got a grip with her knee and pushed up to stand, she quickly got back in through the window, and closed it. Angel could see her silhouette through the glass. She closed the window, and put the stuff back how she found it.

“Cordelia?” She jumped at the soft knock at the door.

“What?” She tried to sound calm, she was shaking all over.

“What are you doing, you’ve been a long time in here”

“I-I um, I feel s-s-sick” She turned on the tap, washed her hands, looked down and saw to her horror she got come all over her jeans! She grabbed some toilet roll and wiped as much off as she could, then decided to take them off.

“Let me in”

“No”

“Cordelia, I only want to help…it’s because you haven’t eaten”

“Leave me alone!” Cordelia hissed through gritted teeth.

“Cordelia!” Angela Chase said more loudly.

“Go AWAY”

“I just want to……(Greg called out from the bedroom, asking what was the problem) she won’t come out of the bathroom” Angela said to her husband, then she faced the bathroom door again and said,

“Now look what you’ve made me do, I’ve woken your father now!” Cordelia draped her jeans over her arm, unlocked the door, and said angrily to her mother,

“That’s my fault as well is it, gods, you’re SO pathetic!” She went to push passed her mother.

“Just who do you think you’re talking to? I will not be spoken to like-“

“Look, it’s gone midnight, just what’s going on?” Greg Chase stood in the bedroom doorway tying the belt to his robe.

“I can’t go to the bathroom now apparently!” Cordelia said angrily. Greg closed his eyes.

“Angela, will you give the girl a break!”

“Oh, my fault is it, I should have known you’d take her side, I’m going to the spare room!”

“Good, bloody stay there too!” Cordelia screamed at her mother. Angela slapped her face. Cordelia was livid, and slapped her back. Her mother looked shocked, her hand flew to her mouth, and she felt tears prick her eyes.

“Don’t you DARE touch me again, I’ll have you prosecuted!” Cordelia spat at her mother, and went to her bedroom and slammed the door.

“What was…?” Greg started. Angela’s shoulders began to shake.

“Look, what was the problem?” Greg said gently

“She said she felt sick, that’s why she was a long time in the bathroom”

“Well, how long was she?”

“Um…good…erm, g-g-good fifteen minutes”

“Fifteen minutes, is that all? Angela…how would you like it, if you were timed in the bathroom?”

“She’s rebelling Greg, I can feel her slipping away from us, she’s becoming uncontrollable”

“I think she’s rebelling the more you try and control her…I was half expecting her to sneak out to the prom. Look, I’m going back to bed, are you coming or are you going in the spare room, you can please yourself” Greg asked, quite frankly not caring which she did. Cordelia had had her ear pressed to her bedroom door. She smiled, good, her dad was on her side.

In the morning, Cordelia went down to the kitchen. Her father was dressed for work, even though it was a Sunday. He was drinking coffee; there was no sign of her mother.

“Morning Princess”

“Hi dad”

“You ok, want some breakfast?”

“No thanks, just some juice will do.” Angela came into kitchen, the slip-slap of her mules the only sound to be heard.

“Morning” Nobody answered her.

“Well I’m off!” Greg folded his paper, drained his coffee cup and stood up, slipped on his suit jacket.

“See you later, bye love” Greg kissed his daughter’s cheek, just said ‘bye’ to his wife. Cordelia looked at her mother…she looked old, her eyes all baggy, she looked tired.
Cordelia finished her juice, put the glass on the drainer

“So, what are you doing today?” Angela asked, sitting where her husband had just vacated, but looking across to her daughter. Cordelia totally ignored her.

“Cordelia…Cordelia, I’m talking to………………you” Cordelia left the kitchen. She was supposed to be grounded, but there was no way she was going to stay in on her day off from work.

Finding out her hipster jeans, and a crop top, she’d washed her other jeans after last night, and thought that rather than climbing out of the window tonight, she’d unlock the garage door and disable the alarm so Angel could wait in there for her.

She found both mobile phones, and slipped the sim card back into her own, put it into her bag. She came downstairs.

“And where do you think you’re going?”
Cordelia gave her such a contemptuous look and spat out one word,

“Work”

“But I thought you didn’t work on Sun…” Cordelia had gone out and slammed the front door.

“…Day. Shit!”
Angela closed her eyes…elbow on the counter she propped up her head on her hand. She’d have to phone her doctor and her therapist.

Cordelia phoned Angel. Eventually it was answered.

“Did I wake you?”

“Uh…what’s the time?”

“Um…nearly nine”

“Fuckin’ ‘ell!” Angel groaned, not knowing that nine o’clock on a Sunday morning even existed.

“Sorry, look, tonight, instead of me climbing out of the window, I’ll leave the garage unlocked, and I’ll disable the alarm, so just phone me when you get to mine, but come a bit earlier, say elevenish”

“I’ll try, I might be busy” Angel lied.

“I’ll be waiting, and not wearing any knickers…”

“I’ll be there!” She chuckled and just said,

“Bye!”

Angel’s head flopped back on his pillow, he was grinning.


**


“Hello…um can I speak to Dr. Muley please?”

“I’m sorry, Dr Muley is on vacation at the moment, is it an emergency?”

“Um…I need…um, n-n-no, no it isn’t”

“You could see Dr Ali or a Dr Andersen?”

“Um< no, it’s ok…um when is Dr Muley back?”

“Three weeks”

“Oh. Ok, um thankyou bye” All through the phone call, Angela Chase was looking at the drinks cabinet…a drop wouldn’t hurt, just this once…She tipped roughly about the same amount of vodka into her breakfast orange juice as there was juice. She drank…it was strong. She felt better already.

By ten to ten, the vodka bottle that had been nearly 3/4 full, was now empty. She felt a whole lot better. She took the empty bottle through to the kitchen, dumped it in the trash. Right, what to do?

Not sitting here moping around over her daughter, that’s for sure…she’d go out…got to get dressed first. She ran upstairs with a spring in her step, got dressed. Rifling through her dressing table drawer for her Chanel earrings, she came across a prescription bottle still half full of Valium. A surprised smile crossed her face, and she tapped out three into her hand, and threw them back into her mouth and swallowed, she looked at the bottle again, and deciding that they were ‘old’, they’d probably lost a lot of their potency, so, she took another three. She’d get through today!

*********



“Please daddy…please?” Cordelia wheedled

“Ok, but don’t tell your mother”

“Did she go in the spare room last night?”

“No, but I wish she had, her snoring keeps me awake half the time!” Cordelia snorted a laugh.

“Thankyou daddy, love you, see you later”
Cordelia went back inside Vera Wang, and took the white trouser suit to the desk.

“That’s $1800, great bargain, half price!” The assistant said. Cordelia beamed.

Angela Chase backed out her BMW out of the garage, narrowly missing the gatepost by a whisker, and sped off for a little retail therapy. Three miles down the road, she was finally pulled over for weaving in and out of the traffic.

“Come on…” Greg Chase said impatiently.

“You’ve reached the home of Greg and Angela Chase, we are not available at the moment but if you’d like to leave you’re name and number after the tone, we’ll get back to you”…BEEP

“Angela, it’s me, I won’t be home for lunch, I’m going to play golf, I’ll be home about six, ok, bye”

*

“But ossifer…I mean…I um…” The cop swam in and out of focus, Angela Chase tried to keep upright, and not slide into the foot well of the car.

“Are you feeling alright, madam?”

“What, of course!” Angela tried to pull herself together, and sit up straight again, but she suddenly felt boneless, her mouth numb, her top lip just wouldn’t work properly.

“Have you been drinking madam?”

“Drink…drinkin’ but it s’only…(she looked owlishly at her watch) um ‘lev’n clock!”

“Madam I’m arresting you because I think you’ve been drinking, and you are certainly unfit to drive, ………you have the right to remain silent, you have the right to an attorney ……Angela was unceremoniously bundled into the squad car, the two cops (unprofessionally) tossed a coin to see who drove her car to the station.

Cordelia saw the garage had been left wide open, called out ‘hello’ when she got inside the house, but got no reply. She phoned Angel, after she’d heard her father’s message.

“But what about the Rottweiler?”

“It’s a Doberman, and it’s out back”

“I meant your mother!” Angel said, but he was smiling. Even Cordelia laughed.

“Well, if she comes back, you can hide under my bed…what’s the matter, don’t you want to make love to me in a nice soft bed?”

Angel swallowed, said he’d be right over.

“Are you fucking mad, you can’t park there, if she comes back, she’ll know!” Cordelia shook her head.

“Thought you said they were out?”

“Dad won’t be home before six, I don’t know where she’s gone; she could be back any minute, park round the corner and walk here…go on!” Cordelia pushed him back out the door. Angel went out muttering. Five minutes later, he came back in via the back door.

“Want some lunch?”

“Thought we were going to fuck in your big bed!” Angel said.

“I’m beginning to think that’s all you want me for” Cordelia said, closing the fridge door.

“Come on…”

“Where ...oh!” Cordelia began to walk upstairs. Angel could feel himself getting hard…

“Oh…oh…yes! – aaaahhh!” Angel collapsed on top of her.

“Uh…gods, move, you weigh a ton!, anyway…I didn’t come, so, what are you going to do about it?”

“What?”

“I want to come, what are you going to do about it?” Cordelia looked at him, propped up on her elbow.
Fucking hell, talk about bossy women!

“Fancy oral sex?” Cordelia asked

“Um yeah!” Angel was gob smacked, wow, if this what came about from hanging with the likes of Harmony…

“Have you done it before?”

“ME! Um…er well, erm no” Angel confessed, too shocked at her newfound boldness to lie.

“Well, we can soon remedy that!” Cordelia said.

“What, when?”

“Er, hello, now!”

“Ew!”

“What do you mean, ew! I’m clean!”

“Yeah, but…well, I shot me load there, didn’t I” Angel said, grimacing.

“What a lovely turn of phrase you’ve got. Ok, I’ll go wash then”

“Um, no, erm not now…you could blow me if you wanted”

“I’ll do you, WHEN you’ve done me, and not until!” Cordelia said, determined to get some sort of say in their ‘relationship.’

“What’s that?…She got up, looked out of the window.

“FUCK! ANGEL! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?”
“What? What are you on abou…” He trailed off as he could hear the crackle and babble of a police radio, he too jumped up.

“Keep away from the window, moron! (She pushed him back down on the bed) Oh my gods!” Cordelia was open mouthed with shock.

“What”

“It’s the cops, bringing my mother home!”

“What!”

“Will you stop saying that!”

“Fuck, I better go!”

“What’s the rush…you should see the state of her…gods she looks so drunk! What are you doing?” Cordelia turned her head to see Angel had got his trousers on, and zipped himself up.

“If she finds me, she’ll…”

“Oh stop being such a wimp, get back into bed!” Cordelia said. Angel stopped, one arm in his tee shirt.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, but be quiet…I won’t be long” Cordelia put her robe on, twirled her hair up into a top knot. She went down stairs.

“Ah, um, and you are?” A woman police officer asked

“Cordelia Chase…what’s going on?”

“Um, you’re mother is it?”

“Yes” Cordelia said, thoroughly bored.

“She’s been charged DUI, and we’re also waiting a toxicology report for drugs, this is the summons, she’s been bailed”

“Really, well thankyou for taking the time to bother with her” The policewoman nodded, didn’t know whether she was joking or not, and they left.

“And you say I’m an embarrassment…the Mountjoy’s saw you, so have the Cooper-Hadley’s, Leibermann’s and the Smithsons…you’re disgusting!” Cordelia berated her mother, looking at her with such contempt.

“Cordelia…don’t tell your father” Angela grabbed her daughter’s wrist.

“What, ashamed are you? Embarrassed…you disgust me. Don’t you think he’s got eyes, the car’s gone, it’ll be in the ‘name and shame’ section of the papers!”

“Oh gods!”

“You’re pathetic…and I owe you nothing, I’ll never forgive you for last night, for making me miss the prom, so don’t go thinking I’m going to do you any favours now, because I’m not!” Cordelia turned on her heel and went back upstairs, locked her bedroom door. Angel quickly pushed her diary he’d been reading down the bed, and then pushed it out of bed with his foot, when she wasn’t looking.

“So?”

“Oh, mugged I think, car jacked”

“Yeah?”

“That’s why they bought her home”

“Thought you said drunk?”

“Oh, the doctor medicated for shock or something, I don’t give a shit”

“So, we alright still to…” Angel bounced his hips up and down.
Cordelia smiled, undid her robe, crawled on the bed.

“Time for me on top I think…” Angel’s brows rose…
He left after two hours, agreeing to take her out later. Blimey, he was knackered! And his dick WAS sore this time, she was insatiable!

Cordelia went and showered, went downstairs found her mother asleep on the sofa. The phone rang.

“Hello, is it possible to speak to Mrs Angela Chase please”

“Who is this, please?” Cordelia asked.

“This is officer Suzanne Ramirez of Sunnydale police precinct”

“She’s still sleeping it off I’m afraid, this is her daughter Cordelia, can I help?”

“Cordelia…no, gimme…gimme phone!” Angela reached out towards her daughter, fell off the sofa in an undignified heap. Sneering, she turned her back on her mother.

“We’ll need to see Mrs Chase, the toxicology report states that there was 0.5mg of Diazepam per litre of blood in her circulation, that on top of the alcohol means she will also be charged with driving while unfit to do so”

“Ok, um do you want to see her today?”

“No, not if she’s still unfit, I’ll draw up the new charge sheet and she can see it sometime tomorrow”

“Ok, thankyou officer, bye” Cordelia said sweetly. Angela Chase clawed her way back up on the sofa.

“Look at you…you disgust me…can’t wait until…” she heard her father’s car pull up. Now the fun would start!

“Daddy!” Cordelia flew to her father, pretending to be all teary.

“What is it Princess?”

“It’s mom…She’s been arrested, drunk driving, and the police just phoned, they’re adding ‘driving while unfit to do so’ as she was stoned or on some sort of drugs too” Cordelia said, knowing full well that Diazepam was Valium.

“What?” Greg looked horrified.

“When was this?”

“The police bought her home lunch time…look, I found this under the sink!” Cordelia pulled out the empty vodka bottle.

“Angela, tell me this isn’t true, tell me that there’s been some ghastly mistake…” She remained silent.

“I was in my bedroom I saw the police bring her back, they poured her out of the car, and all the neighbours saw her” Cordelia was going to wring every last drop of embarrassment out of this situation as she could.

“Um…could you stay with one of your friends tonight Cordelia?” Greg asked She nodded, tried to look really upset, but inwardly she was turning cartwheels!