Chapter 24


“Are you sure you don’t mind?” Cordelia asked, carefully picking her way down the path in her high-heeled Louboutin shoes.

“Course not, now come on, Dick’s waiting in the car for us – love the outfit, by the way!”

“Thanks!”

**************************

“William! – Great to see you!”

“Oh, um hi Alan – er…any idea where I can get a drink around here?”

“There’s fruit cup, over on the food table - but I think there’s something in it, well more than fruit juice anyway, or try the kitchen”

“Yeah, I thought that, the state of some people” William frowned as he saw two girls holding each other up, giggling uncontrollably at nothing he could see…

“Dad said you called in to the shop last week” Alan continued

“Sorry?” William had to stand closer and turn his ear towards the guy to hear properly

“I said, Dad said you went into the shop last week”

“Oh, yeah! Yeah…got some floppy discs and some re-writeable CD’s and stuff – at a great discount, tell your dad I said thanks! Look, I gotta go, Buffy’ll think I’ve abandoned her!”

“’Kay, bye, see you later” Will made his way to the kitchen and looked around. On the floor by the fridge he saw several stacked cardboard cases, and went over to them.

“Ah-ha! – That’s more like it!” Will spied a case of Coke, still shrink-wrapped. Pulling out two cans, he made his way back through the throng of dancing bodies.

Back in the hall he looked around and frowned

“Buffy?…Buffy – excuse me Hal, have you seen my sister anywhere? – Okay thanks………BUFFY - oh god where have you got to!”

**********************************


Upstairs, Angel tried the first door, it was locked, he moved along to the second door, and found a couple going at it hammer and tongs against the wardrobe.

Smiling at the fact that’s what he’d be doing any time now, but he didn’t fancy an audience, he tried the third door. The room was in darkness, a bed covered in coats

“Bingo………come on them sweetheart…me and you are going to get better acquainted…just you lie there, there’s a good little girl

He threw her unceremoniously onto the coat-strewn bed, where she bounced slightly, but remained unconscious.

Stretching out his arm to touch her breast, Angel suddenly thought that he’d be better off undressed, or at least pantless. Fumbling for the zipper he managed to pull it down, and then tugged at the trousers – they didn’t move, he’d forgotten about the button and the belt. He eventually managed to undo them, and the trousers fell about his ankles, and then he tugged down his briefs, and touched himself. He frowned, pulled back his foreskin and jerked his hand back and forth – much to his surprise, he was flaccid.

“Fuck! Come on…come on! Don’t let me down now!” he mumbled, thrusting his hips forward and looking down at the useless still-soft flesh he was jerking back and forth. A familiar tingling feeling came to him, and he thought ‘piss’…

“Piss...yeah, that’s it, have a piss………He knew enough not to go back out into the hall in his state of half-undress, and he turned round and stumbled at the trousers wrapped around his ankles

“Whoops-a-daisy………steadying himself on the corner of the bed, he kicked off the one leg of his trousers. He looked around for something suitable to relieve himself in, and spied a waste paper basket in the corner by the wardrobe.

“This’ll do…………………………oh WHAT – fuck………FUCK!” Once he’d started, he couldn’t stop, and after a second or two he wondered why his feet felt wet and warm, not realising the waste paper basket was only made of wicker-work, with a ‘holey’ weave pattern.

Trying to stand on one leg, out of the ever-growing wet patch, he nearly overbalanced, the room was spinning enough and he had a hard time to stay upright. Eventually he stopped and he looked down at himself

“Come on now…no excuse…you and me mate, are going to have some fun!”

He turned towards the bed and made his way over…

***************************

“Hi, have you seen Buffy? – Yes, of course she came with me, I told her to wait in the………hall – thanks for nothing!”

The girl William had been talking to turned away when she found out Buffy was there with him.

William looked around. New people arriving all the time, he decided to go around the dancers once, then to see if she’d gone outside.

****************************

Grinning at her in the dark, Angel could just make out the outline of her lying there still apparently out of it.

Smiling, Angel tried to lift her top, but with her arms at her sides and her lying on her back, her top didn’t budge.

He then decided to take her jeans off, and popped the button, fumbling for the zipper. The bedroom door suddenly opened and the room flooded with light from the hall, and Buffy stirred, her head moved from left to right towards the light, and the silhouette of a person stood there for a second

“Um, do you mind, busy here!” Angel said as jovially as he could

“Sorry you guys – have fun!” The door closed and Angel faced Buffy again

“Now Buffy…you and me are going to have us a little fun………when I’m ready, that is”

Frowning again, he touched himself again, willing an erection and feeling slightly desperate

“For fucks sake…you, touch me…come on, please babe, just touch me and…”

Buffy pulled her hand away, she tried to sit up

“Wha-what, where am…what do you think you’re ow………Mmmmmmmm – umph – err- ugh- mmmmmmmmm!”

Angel quickly slapped his hand over her mouth, and Buffy instantly struggled, flailing her arms and legs about, she caught him straight in the testicles with her foot and Angel instantly buckled over

“Fucking BITCH!” He attempted to back-hand her, and as soon as his hand left her mouth, Buffy took the opportunity to scream.

“Shut the fuck up, I said – shut up - nobody’s going to hear you scream up here anyway!” The loud throb of the trance music downstairs easily drowned out her protesting screams. Angel leaned forward, bracing his leg between her thighs, he put his hand to her face, although Buffy was twisting and turning, struggling with all her might to get out of his grasp, but he seemed SO strong, and he clasped her chin tightly and drew her face to look at him………

“Now listen to me, you and I are going to have some fun, but if I have to, I could make it so only I have fun, if I have to knock you out again, do I make myself clear?”

Terrified, Buffy tried to claw his hand away from her face, and she caught his eye

“FUCKIN’ BITCH!” While he was flinching and holding his face, Buffy twisted around and lay on her stomach, trying to bring her knees up, but the coats were in the way and bunched up, hampering her efforts, she tore at them with her hands, trying to get them out of the way.

“On no you don’t, c’mere you little…” Kneeling on the bed himself, Angel caught Buffy by the back of her jeans and he pulled. They began to come down as he’d already opened the button, and Buffy tried to kick him

“Ahhhhhh, DON’T please don’t do this! Angel - why are – GET OFF ME – HHHEEEEEELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
WILLLLLLLLLLL-YYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Fuck off – touch me and OWWWWW!

“I’m going to teach you a lesson you won’t forget you stuck-up little ice-maiden, I’m going to really enjoy breaking you in…and I shan’t be gentle either” Angel had caught her foot and twisted her ankle trying to make her turn round.

“FUCK YOU!” Buffy shouted and kicked out at him, but Angel caught her other ankle this time and pushed her leg forward. Buffy tried to keep her leg straight but he was so strong, she felt herself being pushed up the bed and she twisted around again.

“Don’t worry sweet-cheeks, I’ll do you in the ass too soon enough, but I want you on your back first!”

Buffy could feel the window-sill by her arm and slipped her hand under the curtain, desperately groping for something, ANYTHING to hit him with……………

******************

“Goodness sake, where have you got to………Hi, um...don’t suppose you’ve seen Buffy, have you?”

“Buffy, no, should I have?” One of their classmates answered

“Well no, it’s just we came together, and I went to get us a drink, and took rather longer than expected”

“Perhaps she went to dance?”

“Nah…I’ve looked”

“Outside then, there’s loads of people in the garden”

“Yeah…okay thanks Todd, um if you see her…”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll tell her you’re looking for her”

“Thanks”


***************************************

“God, look at all the people already here!” Cordelia said as Dick parked about hundred yards from the house, the closest he could get

“Always do give great parties, I’ve been here before…come on!” Harmony grabbed Cordelia by the arm and they walked towards the house, with Dick following them behind.

***************************

“William – are you already to go, all packed mate?” Another of his classmates caught up with him just as he stepped outside the patio doors to the outside poolside.

“Oh, hi Dale, almost, keep on finding things I’ll need to take, you know!”

“Not long now is it?”

“End of the week…um, have you seen my sister about at all? We came here together I went to get us a drink and now I’ve lost her!”

“Buffy, nope, she’ll be around, doesn’t stray too far from you does she?”

“Not usually!”

“So, tell me what will you be doing at Harvard…is um, is that Coke spare by the way, I’m parched, I had some fruit cup………”

William surrendered the can he’d got for Buffy thinking she’d only moan at him as it would be warm by now………………


*****************************

Buffy frantically felt along the window sill with her hand, and closed around something It felt like a lump of plastic.

Angel had released her foot and made a dive for her panties, But Buffy had a tight hold on her jeans and was trying to pull them back up. She noticed that he wasn’t ‘hard’ and felt thankful for that

“Touch me and it’ll be the last thing you do!”

Angel chuckled and leaned over her and slurred

“What’s gonna ‘appen, huh? Gonna get college boy to do me over huh? I mean where is he? – He’s not here is he…whose gonna help you n- OW YOU FUCKIN’………OW! BITCH, YOU BROKE MY DOSE – C’MERE!”

From behind her back, Buffy produced the ‘lump of plastic’ she taken off the sill and crashed it down as hard as she could on Angel’s nose. Her eyes well-adjusted to the darkness now she could just make out that the ‘lump’ was in fact a plastic elephant. Whatever it was, it served its purpose anyway.

While he staggered back, Buffy knelt up and pulled her jeans up, managing to do up the button. Angel went to dive on her, but Buffy was too quick, and she launched herself at him, her head catching him in the stomach and he went crashing back into the wardrobe, the sound of glass breaking and the thud as a winded Angel hit the floor.

“You wait…just you fucking wait!” Buffy zipped up her jeans and went to the door, not before somebody else opened it

“What’s going on, I thought I heard glass breaking – holy SHIT – WHAT HAPPENED HERE?” The guy put the light on and surveyed the room. There were coats and broken mirror everywhere, and sitting in the middle of it was a very bloodied Angel

“What happened?”

“Ask him…PERVERT!” Buffy pushed passed the guy who was still open mouthed at the scene. Buffy felt her eye, it was nearly closed, she pushed her way into the room where everybody was dancing, found the source of the music and pressed buttons on the music centre until the music went off. As soon as it did, she shouted at the top of her lungs

“WILLLLLLL-YYYYAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!”

Outside everybody had stopped talking as the music had stopped

“Buffy...BUFFY…BUFFY, WHERE - WHERE ARE YOU?” William left the guy he was talking to and almost ran into his sister as she’d located where he’d called her from, and came bowling out of the patio doors.

“Oh William!” Buffy flung herself at him and started to sob. He put his arms around her and frowned, holding her

“What is it? Hey, come on Buff, what is it, hey…shhh, shush now… it’s okay love, I’ve got you…I’ve got you…come on now…it’s okay, it’s okay…what is it hmm - what happened to your eye?”

Holding Buffy at arms length William frowned

“Let’s just go please?” Buffy was visibly shaking

“Okay, but what happened to your face?”

“Please Will, I just want to go home!” Inside the house, the music started back up, and then there was an ear-piercing scream

William nodded and went to go through the patio doors, but Buffy had other ideas and pulled him to walk around the side of the house.

“Are you going to tell me what happened?”

“Can we get…oh god – quick, back BACK!”

“WHAT? – What do you mean?” frowning William didn’t understand as Buffy pushed him back and began walking back the way they’d just come from. Having reached the front of the house, Buffy had seen the front door open and two guys carrying a staggering Angel between them, his shirt covered in blood.

The music had stopped again and several girls were now screaming.

“Buffy…BUFFY! William stopped her with a jerk of the arm

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” Buffy was crying and heaving for breath

Gez came out through the patio doors and said to Marco

“Man he looks a fucking mess – I wonder what happened?”

“Looks like he’s been shot!” Marco said

“Nah, somebody said he walked into a mirror, broken glass everywhere………who was that broad he was carrying upstairs?”

“No idea, but man, we were right not to stand with him, I KNEW he was gonna be trouble tonight – man that shit he was smoking was SO strong!”

Buffy realised that they were talking about Angel, the ‘broad’ being her.

“Wasn’t Cordelia anyway whoever she was…”

Buffy stood with her back to the wall, and slid down it to a squatting position. She wiped her nose on the back of her hand. William squatted down next to her, and laid his hand gently on her back

“Buffy…tell me, what happened?”

Through her tears Buffy whispered,

“Angel…Angel tried to…he tried to r-rape me!”

William went hot then cold, the anger seared through him and Buffy saw him stand up and run to the front of the house

“William – WILLIAM STOP!”

There was a small crowd standing around Angel, who had been sat on the front garden wall

William waded in, pushing people out of the way

“Hey!”

“Watch it mate!”

William stood in front of Angel heaving for breath, and full of hatred. Angel looked up at him and dabbed his nose with a tissue.

“You, YOU FILTHY DISGUSTING…I’M GONNA KILL YOU!” William swung his right arm and landed a right hook that lifted Angel off the wall and gambol backwards onto the lawn

“Hey – can’t you see he’s been through enough, what’s YOUR problem, get OFF HIM!” Somebody William didn’t know tried to restrain him, but William shrugged them off, jumping over the wall to follow where Angel had landed.

“Oh you think do you – well this evil bastard he just tried rape my sister!”

There were a few gasps and the sympathy switched from Angel to William

“So SHE says!” Angel said he managed to get up onto all fours, and William kicked him in the stomach, he soon was flattened again.

Buffy came running over the grass and began to pull her brother away

“William come on, leave him, he’s not worth it!”

William tried to shake her off and get in another kick

“William! William please!” Buffy tugged at her brother’s arm as hard as she could

Sirens could be heard and William turned to look at Buffy

“Did he touch you?”

“He tried to, but no” Buffy shook her head

“Are you sure, you’re not just saying that to make me stop?” Buffy could feel how rigidly unyielding and strong William felt against her pulling

“No, he didn’t, now PLEASE William!” She felt him relax, and she held his hand.

“That’s it Will my boy…do as your sister says…” Angel taunted, and William suddenly turned and gave Angel a swift kick that landed in his face. Angel grunted and collapsed again

Cordelia had just come out of the front of the house, she screamed and ran over to her ‘beloved’ looking horrified.


***************

They got to their car and William opened the door and sat in the drivers seat

Buffy slid in the passengers seat beside him. Without looking at her William asked her again

“Tell me………DID he touch you?”

“No”

“Buffy, I HAVE to know!”

“And I’ve told you William, no, NO he didn’t honestly, I came to”

“What happened, I couldn’t find you!” he turned to face her

Buffy could see the tears in William’s eyes

“I…don’t know……… I was waiting for you…you were gone for ages…I went to look for you and I bumped into Angel, literally, somebody pushed me, and fell against him…he tried to cop a feel…I pushed him off telling him to get off. I couldn’t see Cordelia around…next thing I know, he’s rambling on at me, I thought he was drunk, next thing I felt this sudden pain – then nothing”

“He hit you?”

Buffy just nodded

“Could he have…have, you know…while you were unconscious?” William swallowed and looked at his trembling hands.

“No – I’m positive, I came to, I thought a light had been put on, but then it went dark again, and I started to fight him off, my jeans were still done up when I came to”

William nodded

“I felt on the window sill…I hit him on the nose with a plastic elephant, and while he was distracted, I did my jeans back up and then I just went for him, he hit the wardrobe and the mirror smashed – somebody came in then, and put the light on, I left to look for you………I’m sorry” Buffy felt fresh tears fall.

William leaned forward and hugged her to him, Buffy buried her head in his neck and felt instantly safe and comforted.

“I’m sorry too…I’m sorry for not being there to protect you”

“It wasn’t your fault!” she leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

William said nothing, he was just grateful that the outcome wasn’t his worst nightmare, and he gave her an extra tight squeeze.

“Take me home please?” Buffy rubbed his arm and gave him a watery smile

“Sure...although, what are we going to tell mom about that black eye of yours, it’ll be a real shiner by morning, your birthday too”

William glanced at her as he started up the engine. Buffy touched her sore and swollen eye

“I don’t know…………perhaps we could say somebody elbowed me doing wild dancing or something – after all, it WAS pitch black in there”

“Hmm…okay” William pulled out to see a cop car slowly wending it’s way up the road. They glanced at each other, but said nothing.

***************************


“I didn’t think you’d be back this early, I was just going for a bath” Joyce said as both her children entered the hall. She was half-way up stairs

“We um, we didn’t want to stop, besides which-“ William started, it was then Joyce noticed Buffy’s eye

“Good gracious Buffy, what happened to your eye?”

“Dancing, well, I was dancing……… this um, this idiot next to me, was er, was having a fit – trying to punk dance or something…caught me in the eye with his um, elbow”

Joyce frowned and came downstairs, angled Buffy’s head towards the light and scrutinized he face.

“I’ll get some ice and-“

“No, mom really, don’t fuss, I’ll be alright” Buffy frowned and jerked her head out of her mother’s grasp

“But the swelling looks really nasty, you might have a fractured cheekbone or something, maybe we should go to the ER and-“

“No mom, honestly, stop FUSSING, I’ll be okay, go have your bath – please? – William will get some ice for me, won’t you?”

“Right on it” he made towards the kitchen

“Are you sure now, you look pale, are you sure you’re all right?”

“Really sure mom, I’m fine” Buffy turned away rubbing her hands nervously together, wishing her mother upstairs.

“Okay then, can’t force you I suppose”

“What’s the problem?” Asked Hank tying his dressing gown at the top of the stairs

“Buffy’s got a swollen eye, it looks quite nasty, she’ll have a real shiner tomorrow – but as usual, she thinks I’m fussing”

“Really, how’d it happen honey?” Hank came down the stairs

“Honestly, there’s no need to fuss, some guy was jumping up and down waving his arms about, and I caught an elbow in the eye…serves me right for being so short I suppose” Hank too took a close look at her eye and winced

“People will think you’ve been ten rounds with Mike Tyson!” Buffy forced a smile and was relieved when William appeared in the kitchen archway with a teacloth full of ice

“Go back to bed now dad, and mom go have your bath, I’ll be fine, Will’s got the ice for me”

“If you’re sure honey, night-night”

Seeing both her parents go back upstairs she went over to William, who held out the ice-cloth to her

“Thanks…I thought they’d NEVER go back up. She held the cloth to the side of her eye.


*********************************


“Honey that looks SO sore!” Joyce frowned

“Never mind, that’ll teach me to dance next to Ged’s punk rocker friends”

“Ow honey, I hope you gave as good as you got!” Hank winced but smiled when he saw his daughter’s face.

“Sure did, you ought to see the other guy!” Buffy said with joviality, and mumbled

“Seriously, you should!”

“We still on for the steak house tonight?” Hank asked as he picked up his briefcase

Buffy nodded

“Sure thing dad, and make sure you bring that credit card, a black eye doesn’t affect my appetite!”

“Okay princess, will do!” he bade his family goodbye and went off to work


******************************

“Well, that’s me off, Buffy, I’ve ironed your dress, it’s hanging outside your wardrobe”

“Thanks mom”

“You gotta work today mom?” William asked putting his plate in the sink

“Just till lunchtime honey, then I want to go shopping, pick up a few odds and ends for you to take with you”

“Don’t buy too much, dad’s moaning we’ll owe hundreds in excess baggage as it is…” William said

“I know – bye”

“Bye mom” They both chorused

After hearing the SUV drive off William said

“What are you doing today?”

Buffy shrugged

“Last minute packing…I don’t want to stray too far from home”

William nodded, he understood what she meant.


******************************


“Hmm, I’m having the Surf and Turf” Hank said, barely looking at the menu.

“Dad! You always have that when you come here!” Buffy said, still perusing.

“So, I like it! – It’s always good”

“Oh, that’s new…Swordfish…you can have it grilled, Creole style or in a Champagne sauce” Joyce said.

“I think…I’m going to have the grilled king crab claws, and the rack of ribs” William said.

“What a surprise…” Buffy said.

“I thought you usually have a steak?” Joyce asked

“I do, but I’m gone on ribs lately” William said.

“Hmm, let me see…August, there’s no ‘R’ in the month, so I won’t have oysters…Joyce said.

“EW! Thank gods for that!” Buffy said, pulling a face behind her dark glasses.

“Come on then birthday girl, what are you having?” Hank asked.

“Grilled lobster tail to start…then I don’t know whether to have the Steak Rossini, that’s the one with pate, mushrooms and red wine sauce, or the Steak Françoise, that’s a brandy, cream and mushroom sauce”

“Ooh, that does sound nice…oh good, you can choose your cut of steak, that’s what I’ll have, the steak with the brandy cream sauce”

“What to start?” Hank asked

“Um…Deep fried Camembert with redcurrant sauce”

“Hold on…I’ve changed my mind, the ribs don’t look all that meaty…I’ve just seen the waitress pass with some, so, I’ll have the Steak Rossini instead, New York strip” William said

“Yeah, and me, same cut” Buffy said

“You having a starter, Hank?”

“Me, no, coz I’m having the 24oz Chateaubriand Steak, and two crab claws and half a lobster, blue cheese dressing”

“I’ll get two garden salads, and two lots of fries to share, yes?”

“Hi, ready to order?”

“Yes please, we’ll have……”


********************************


Buffy wiped the last piece of mushroom around her plate mopping up the last of the rich red wine sauce.

“I think our Little Buffy’s got hollow legs!” Hank said, marvelling at the way she ate a huge big ice cream dessert after all the steak.

“I was packing it away in Mass, I’ll have to start going to the gym!”

William snorted a laugh at this, both Joyce and Hank smiled.

“So…it’s nearly twenty passed eleven…by the time we get home, it’ll be midnight, my birthday and prezzie time!” Buffy grinned, kicking her legs like a child.

“Have you saved enough room for cake and Champagne at home?”

“Of course!” Buffy said, giggling

“See, hollow legs! – Come on then…lets get you all home” Hank only had Coke to drink, so he would be ok driving. Before they left, Joyce had put all the birthday cards for her to open on the dining room table, with her presents.

They got home, and William gently covered her eyes, and walked her slowly into the dining room, where Joyce had lit the candles on the cake.

“…Happy Birthday dear Buf-fy, happy birthday to youoooooooo!” William held the note, playing up.

“Come on, blow else we’ll have the smoke alarm go off!”

She blew, made a wish. Hank put the main light on. When did all these come?” Buffy was amazed at about two dozen cards that had come through the post.

“I bribed the mail man…just working on him dumping the bills now!” Joyce said. Buffy opened her cards, she had several checks and some cash, including $10 from Mrs Koprinski next door.

“She’s a dear old thing…” Buffy said, then added excitedly, prezzies!” Joyce passed her a box with pink and white candy stripes.

“This will be useful, I hope!” Buffy pulled out a thick piece of elastic, in a figure of eight shape.

“It’s a tummy flattener”

“Gods, I’ll need it too, working in the café”

“And this…especially after a hard day!” Buffy opened a big box covered in green shiny paper.

“Oh, a foot spa! Great!” Willow and Xander had sent her some bath stuff, and there were a few little items, makeup and perfume from her mom and dad, along with a check for $800.

“Eight! – I was expecting five!”

“Well, we spent eight on William, we wanted to treat you the same” Hank said.
She kissed her mom and dad. She the smiled at William.

“What? – sorry sis, I’m broke!”

“S’ok…as long as you’re there for me. I don’t care” she meant that too, hugging him.

“Here, Happy Birthday!” She looked excitedly at the little box, she was shaking when she opened it. A fine gold chain with a diamond encrusted letter ‘B’ on it winked up at her.

“Oh, William! – It’s beautiful!” She jumped up and hugged him tight and kissed him hard, hugging him again. Both Hank and Joyce smiled.

“You like it then, coz I kept the receipt just in case you didn’t”

“Oh Will, it’s the bestest present I’ve ever had! Look mom, dad!” she proudly showed it off.

“I saw it yesterday, Will asked if I thought you’d like it”

“I love it!” She leant forward and gave him a big smacking kiss on the lips.

“Well, I’m off to bed, I’ve got an extra early start today as I’m off tomorrow and Monday” Hank said.

“Me too, I want to go in early, we won’t disturb you in the morning then, night Buffy, night Will, and happy birthday again, love”

“Night mom, dad, thanks!” William stood, began to gather all the ripped paper and envelopes up to throw.

“Got all your money and checks and that?”

“Hmm?” she was looking at her necklace, William smiled.

“It must have cost you a fortune!” Buffy said smiling.

“Well…I figured you were worth it” She stood and hugged him again.

And truth be known, as usual, even if it had been just cheap metal and paste instead of gold and diamonds, it still meant more to Buffy than the $800 her mom and dad had given her, because it was from ‘her’ William.

*********************8


The Summer’s family sat round the dining table eating breakfast – they figured it would be the last time they’d do it so they’d each made an effort and got up reasonably early.

“Did you see that guy keep looking over to our table last night looking at our Buffy, I’m sure he thought that she was somebody famous because of the dark glasses!” William said grinning. Buffy laughed and said

“Coz of my film star looks!”

“I think he was amazed how much food you could pack away!” Hank said

“Oh dad! Like YOU stinted with the surf and turf and salad, and fries, and what else did – oh…whose that at this time of a morning?”

Joyce wiped her mouth and stood up, and went to answer the ring at the doorbell.

Two police officers stood at the door

“Good morning ma’am, sorry to trouble you at this early hour but we called last night and you were out”

“Er, yes, yes we were, out for my daughter’s birthday, how can we help you?”

“Who is it honey?” Hank called

“Hope it’s another present for me!” Buffy said grinning

Joyce stepped back from the door and the police officers walked in

“It’s the police, they want to talk to Buffy and William” Joyce said as she closed the front door

The smile left Buffy’s face instantly as she and William exchanged worried glances………….