Author's Chapter Notes:
The Ritz http://www.theritzlondon.com/tea/index.asp

London Dungeon
http://www.thedungeons.com/en/london-dungeon/guide.html

Planetarium
http://www.tourist-information-uk.com/planetarium.htm

Madame Tussauds
http://www.madame-tussauds.co.uk/thestardome.htm
Chapter 32


Buffy sucked down the last of her cocktail, she felt light-headed – but wonderful.

“You okay Kitten?” William shouted over the music. Buffy nodded her head but said,

“Can we go home now?”

“Sure – that’s what I was just going to ask you” She got her coat from the cloakroom and they went outside. William hailed them a cab and they got back to the hotel.

Kicking off her shoes Buffy lay on the bed still dressed.

“Guess what I want?”

“What’s that babe?”

“A nice cup of tea!”

“Really?”

“Uh huh…and some cookies”

“Biscuits you mean!”

“Whatever”

“I’ll call room service then” William did so, and in less than five minutes, a trolley with tea things and a plate of biscuits were deposited in the room for them.

“Hmm…this is lovely!” Buffy held the tea cup and sipped her tea, and munched on a biscuit.

“Got to phone mom and dad tomorrow – (he glanced at his watch, it was 1.47am) today I mean, they’ll be back from grandma’s today”

“God she’s going to be SO surprised, dad too…”Buffy put her cup down and began to pour more tea for herself.

“William”

“Hmm?” (William was reading the ‘What’s On’ booklet)

“Will you finish your degree now – I mean now you’re so rich and that?”

“Oh yes – I worked hard to get there, it would be a shame to give it all up now. Besides, I’m not THAT rich…I haven’t sold the house yet, I don’t know what to do, I might not sell it yet – how would you like living in London?”

Buffy sat up nearly spilling her tea

“Would I?!!! It would be fantastic!”

“Expensive, but then I suppose any capital city is. Anyway, changing the subject, today we are shopping in the morning, phoning mom and dad, having Tea at the Ritz, seeing Spamalot at the Palace Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, and then we are going to TGI Friday’s American Bar and Grill ©, coz I fancy a good old American style barbecue!”

“Spamalot? – oh is that that British Monty Python thing?” Buffy asked

“It sure is!” William said with a grin

“Ooohhhh great – and I fancy American barbecue too!” Buffy stood and asked Will to help with her dress zip. She yawned and went into the bathroom to take off her make-up.

“What time is it?” She called from the bathroom

“Nearly 2 o’clock”

William, got undressed and got into bed

He was asleep when Buffy joined him, but she didn’t mind, she was tired and they had another big day in front of them.

******************************


Buffy just about managed to open the door with the key-card, her arms full of carrier bags.

William bought up the rear, he’d been stopped by the concierge on the way in.

Buffy collapsed on the bed with her purchases!

“Everything okay?”

“Oh yes, got the tickets for tonight, made the TGI’s © reservation for the post theatre supper and as for Tea at the Ritz, he’s pulled a few strings, there is apparently a three to four week waiting list!”

“Really, at that price, I am surprised!”

“Big with us Americans and Japanese, or so he says, anyway his cousin works there – I don’t believe a word of it, but it got him a nice fat tip from me so everybody’s happy” William said with a grin

“I’m happy…I’m deliriously happy, I’m just eighteen and have my first pair of Manolo’s!!! Buffy stroked the shoe box lovingly!

“So where else did you go while I bag watched in the food court hmm – you were at least half an hour!”

Buffy grinned and selected a pink and black shiny bag with Coco-de-Mer written on it

“Look what I’ve got…” She pulled out two lacy black filmy bits of nothing held together with what looked like a tiny diamante bar.

“For later!” William’s brows shot up appreciatively, and he grinned

“I see! And um…what – ahem, what else did you buy?” he’d gone red!

“This…and this and these” Buffy showed him a dress, some jeans and a matching bra and thong set

The dress was pretty, with a sweet-heart neck and a nipped in waist and full skirt.

“I told the lady I wanted something suitable to go to Tea at the Ritz in…I shall wear this, that little white shrug cardigan I bought yesterday and my black shiny pumps with the two inch heel”

“And I’m sure you’ll be the prettiest girl there! Okay then kitten, mom and dad will just be getting up now in good old Sunnydale…shall we ring them?”

“Yeah…are you um…are you going to say anything about us, you know being a couple?”

William gave a frown and said,

“I thought about it, but well, one thing at a time eh, and I WOULD like to tell them the other news face to face” Buffy smiled and nodded in agreement.

“Okay!”

She cleared a space on the bed and Will sat down, she came and knelt by him as he dialled, holding the handset between them so they could both hear and talk.

“Hi mom, didn’t wake you did we? – Good…………………oh were having a great time, aren’t we Buffy!”

“Sure are mom!” Buffy said

“Got loads to tell you, is dad there too? – Okay are you sitting down………”

“No, it’s nothing bad………ready? – I’ve got a house that’s worth practically 10 million dollars!.......Hello – mom – speak to me – m-…………no, I’m not joking, the solicitors have been renting it out for me, I’ve got nearly another million from the sale of the old place in Stephenson Avenue, and the rent from the new place in Holland Park – I know, I can hardly believe it myself!..........................................”

William was still smiling when he put the phone down.

“Well, I think that went okay, don’t you think?” Buffy grinned

“I’d have given anything to have seen her face when you told her how much the house was worth!” Buffy said

“Dad sounded over the moon!”

“Yeah…I think I’ll buy him that Bentley Turbo he’s always wanted…what does mom want?”

“Oh, one of those log cabins in the mountains!”

“I’ll have to see how much they are!”

“Don’t be silly, they won’t expect anything!” Buffy said

“I know – it would just be really nice if I could give something back to them, you know…for adopting me in the first place”

“They adopted you for me as much as themselves, you know” Buffy said

“Yeah?” William circled her tiny waist with his arms and pulled her down for a kiss.

“I’d have come to live in that place with you and Mrs Thingy if they hadn’t!”

William looked down into her big green eyes

“Where, St Chad’s with Mrs Betts?”

“Uh huh!”

“You know, I believe you!”

Buffy smiled and laid her head on his shoulder.


***********************************


“Oh gods, I REALLY can’t believe I’m here, I keep thinking pinch myself and I’ll wake up!” Buffy sat in the opulent room at the Ritz waiting for their tea to be brought to them.

“So, why did you pick Darjeeling tea?” William asked with a grin

Buffy shrugged

“Don’t know, just liked the sound of it – oh god, I just thought, I hope it’s not like that stinky herbal stuff Willow used to drink!”

“I doubt it – oh look, here it comes, those waiters are coming towards us!”

*****

The little cakes and sandwiches they couldn’t manage were boxed for them to take away and they left. William had discreetly taken a couple of photographs with his digital camera – just to show Joyce.

“Mom will be SO envious!” Buffy said grinning

“Well, I was thinking, we’ll all come over here soon, and I’ll book on-line and bring her to tea here, she’ll love it!”

“They came to London for their Honeymoon”

“Yes I know”

“So…ready for the next thing?”

“Lead me to it!” Buffy said and William hailed a cab.

***********************

They went to Baker St and The London Planetarium and Madame Tussaud’s Waxwork Museum.

“Oh – that planetarium…it’s amazing, all those billions of stars!”

“Sure is…makes me want to go out and buy a telescope now!” William said. He hailed a cab and they went back to the hotel.

After two hours of practically crying with laughter at Spamalot, they made their way to TGI Friday’s for their post-theatre supper……………………

“I’m starving!” Buffy said eagerly snagging the menu up off the table.

“Hmm…I fancy all of it! – I’m going to have………”

“Fancy sharing the Combo?” William asked

“Nope – I could eat that on my own!” Buffy said with a grin

“I bet – you and your hollow legs…okay then, well I’m going to have a Jack Daniels American Grill”

“No starter?”

“Hang on – listen the grills got it all, A succulent rib-eye steak, a char-grilled chicken breast smothered in sweet and smoky Jack glaze, Cajun Battered shrimp, Cajun Battered onion rings, fresh veg AND fries!” William read out from the menu.

“Wow, make that two then! – And a Long Island ice Tea!”

“Okay, but only one mind, I don’t want to have to carry you home!”

Buffy grinned at him and was already looking at the desserts….

“I don’t know where you put it all, I really don’t!” William said shaking his head smiling as the huge triple-deep slice of chocolate fudge cake served with a scoop of ice-cream was placed in front of Buffy, who was salivating with a fork at the ready. She’d already seen off the American grill with ease!

“HMMMMMMMMM…Oh god, it’s GORGEOUS! – Here try some!”

William accepted the forkful off her, but declined another.

“Very nice, but too rich for me!”

Buffy grinned and dug in with relish

“Hmm, yummy…although perhaps, not as nice as Franz’ one!”

“Speaking of which…I must check the flight times home”

“Oh boo! Don’t wanna go home, having too much fun here! – What are we doing tomorrow?”

“Well, as it’s our last full day, Trafalgar Square, The London Dungeons, last bit of shopping, I MUST get something for Benny, and then there’s the last theatre trip of course”

“Great! I’ve got Benny a little teddy with a Union Jack tee shirt on!” Buffy said

“Actually…that would be the Union flag…it’s only called the Union Jack when it’s flown on-board ship!” William corrected her

“Oooh get you! – Can we go to Carnaby St?”

“Sure we can…I might by Benny one of those psychedelic kipper ties!”

Buffy giggled, and then said

“God we’ve had such a wonderful time here, haven’t we?”

“The best!”

Buffy finished her drink and Will called for the bill.

On their way into the hotel, William was called by reception and passed a letter, it had been hand-delivered and just said ‘William Campbell’ on the front of the envelope.

When he was inside their room, he opened it and began to read:

Dearest William,

Words cannot express how touched and grateful we are for your very kind and thoughtful gift of the flight tickets which we received this morning.
It means Margaret and I can stay longer with Christine and her family, as we can use what we saved for the tickets as spending money. To be able to be with them longer is just wonderful, at our age we have to count our blessings, and when we telephoned her with the good news last night she was delighted, doubly so as we also found out what happened to you. Geoffrey said he was sorry to miss you, but you are to look him up next time you come. We have your addresses in America, and you can be sure of some photos, Christine will probably email them to you, she’s good at things like that now living in the back of beyond it’s a case of having to be!

Well, best of luck in your forth-coming exams, and keep in touch, thank you again. Much love and Bless you,

George and Margaret XX

William smiled and passed the letter to Buffy, who read it.

“Oh isn’t that sweet! I’m so glad you did what you did!”

“Yes, me too…(he yawned) god, I’m tired!”

Buffy was in the bathroom taking off her make-up. Two minutes later she said,

“Sorry, what was…” She smiled fondly at him; he was already in bed, fast asleep.

******************************

The following day, after a full day of shopping and site-seeing, the London Dungeon included, Buffy was ready to collapse, her feet were aching.

She yodelled and collapsed on the bed

“God, I’m nick-nacky-noo-narred!”

William frowned smiled

“You’re what?!!!”

She struggled to sit up and said

“Knackered! You know tonight, after the theatre”

“Hmm”

“Well, could we get real fish and chips? – You know, out of the newspaper type, I’ve always wanted to try them!”

William laughed and said

“Okay Muppet…I’ll see what I can do!”

************************

Later on, when they came out of the theatre from having seen Chicago, William hailed a cab. They were a bit disappointed because it was raining, that meant they couldn’t wander around eating their supper outside, but the taxi driver, whom William sought his knowledge told them he’d take them to a place that nearly all the cab drivers went to, it was a pie and eel shop, but it did fish and chips and kebabs too, open 24 hours a day.

“It’s down passed Vauxhall Bridge, bit rough and ready Princess, but it’s clean and the grub’s good!” The driver said to Buffy with a wink. She smiled and asked William to translate, she didn’t understand his thick cockney accent.

“He said it’s a bit…basic I suppose, but it’s clean and the food’s good”

“That’s all we want!”

The driver pulled up and William and Buffy got out and joined the long queue. There was steam on the inside and condensation, but the smell of frying food, rich gravy and such set their tummies rumbling.

Buffy settled on fish and chips, William had pie, mash and liquor, a type of tasty parsley gravy/sauce. They sat at one of the vacant but well-worn Formica topped tables and awaited their order.

“Well…I’d have thought our last night you’d have wanted to go somewhere swanky!” William said. His meal, along with bread and butter and a mug of tea was placed in front of him.

“No, this is perfect! And look, we’ll have no problem getting a cab home, there must be three dozen out there at least!” Buffy began to tuck into her battered cod and chips

“Hmm…food of the gods!” She said eyes closed and grinning.

**********************

At 10.30am the following morning they checked out and got a cab to Heathrow. Their flight was for 12.50pm. Both were sad to leave, they’d had such a wonderful time, so good it seemed magical and almost unreal, but Buffy knew she’d got a suitcase full of shopping that wouldn’t let her forget, and William had a treasure-trove of memories to cherish. All to quickly they were on their way back to New England, and back to a bit of reality!