Author's Chapter Notes:
As i'm getting some great feedback, i'm making the chapters nice and long for you!
Chapter 5


The Christmas holidays came and went, as did January and February, it was getting on for mid March, and it had been roughly eight months since they’d started having William to stay on a regular basis. Joyce and Hank had submitted their application to formerly adopt William, and had finally received the letter they were hoping for in one way, and dreading in another. Hank opened the official letter giving them the date

“This is it then honey – the official hearing date at the Family Court”

“I’ll have to book the day off, I’ll see the principal this morning”

“I’ll tell Larry…just think, in less than a week, we’ll know if William can be ours…”


The Thursday came, Buffy and William knew it was a very special day, because they wasn’t going to class, either of them, and daddy was home instead of going to work, and he was in his best suit. Mommy had her best dress and coat on, AND she put on some lipstick. William and Buffy dressed smart, and Hank took them in the car.

“Where are we going?”

“Um, you’ll see” was all Joyce said. They hadn’t said anything to the children, they didn’t want to make them nervous. The one question they didn’t ask, was to ask William if he wanted to live with them permanently, they took it as read, there were always tears when Sunday night came, he never wanted to go back to the home, as much as Buffy didn’t want him to leave. They went into a big building and William saw Mrs Betts.

“Have I got to go back to the home?” William asked in a small voice, he looked scared, Buffy looked absolutely petrified, and clung to William, and he did to her.
Joyce smiled and bent down.

“Please mommy, don’t make him go, please, mommy, please!” Buffy was near to tears, she was shaking with fear.

“Shh, don’t worry…this is the family court. We have to see a judge, and ask if you can live with us for good, if we can adopt you, we become your new mommy and daddy, would you like that?” Joyce asked, smoothing hair out of his eyes.

“You mean…never having to go back to St Chad’s” William asked big eyed.

“No. We would be your new mom and dad, would you like that?”

“OH YES!” Joyce beamed, felt the tears prick her eyes as she hugged him to her.

Mrs Betts stood and said her piece, that William was very well looked after, and how happy he seemed when he was with the Summers’. The judge (a nice, softly spoken black lady) said she’d read all the reports.

“Ok, can I speak to the child now?”

“Come on William, don’t be scared, just answer the questions.” Mrs Betts said. Buffy got up automatically to go with him.

“Just William, darling” Joyce said.

Buffy looked a little worried, kissed his cheek, and they hugged. The judge smiled.

“Please let him live with us…please, he’s my bestest friend and I love him, lots and lots” Buffy said to the judge. Joyce wiped her eyes, and then holding her hands in her lap, she gripped onto her tissue tightly to stop shaking.

The Judge smiled at Buffy, but said nothing, and then addressing William, she said,

“Well William. First I’m very sorry about your real mommy and daddy. You like it in America, yes?”

“Yes, thankyou” William said remembering his manners.

Buffy leaning forward in her seat, and holding onto the brass bar that ran round the wooden barrier in front of them, tightly with both hands, arms stiff and straight, her eyes fixed on William. Hank smiled at her, nudging Joyce to look. Buffy was transfixed, only looking at William, her little face serious.

“You know that your aunt is sick and unable to look after you?”

“Yes”

“And you’ve been staying with your class teacher, Mrs Summers and her husband and daughter Buffy”

“Yes, it’s great, I really love it there, better than anything, I wish I could always live there, Buffy is my best friend, I love her, and Mr and Mrs Summers, I want them to be my new mom and dad.” William said.

He saw Buffy smile and he waved to her. She waved back. Hank reached for Joyce’s hand, and held it tight. The judge saw this and smiled again.

She looked at her notes, and said,

“Well, as regards social services, all the tests were passed with flying colours, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such glowing reports from the social workers before, and as William himself has expressed a wish to live with you (she shuffled some papers, looked up and smiled)………adoption granted!”
Joyce shrieked and stood up, holding a tissue to her mouth. Buffy looked worriedly up at her mom.

“Does that mean yes?” her little face still serious, and full of worry that he might not be allowed to stay with them. Buffy then saw her dad grinning and nodding. William looked at the judge.

“Go on William, you can live with them forever now, they’re your new mommy and daddy!” William grinned, and Buffy jumped up and raced carefully down the steps to him, and they hugged, for ages. The judge smiled at Mrs Betts and said,

“I wish all the decisions I had to make were this easy!” She gathered up her papers, and they all had to go into a special room and sign some documents.

Hank scooped both children up and hugged them, he himself having to hold back the tears; he’d always wanted a son…

“Mr Summers…” William said

“We’ll have to think of something different for you to call me now!”

“Could…could I call you dad?” Tears glittered in Hanks eyes.

“Oh, son, I’d be honoured, I’d love that!” he hugged them both again.

“Come on, let’s go celebrate!”

They went to the movies, and saw Cars, then went for a burger after. Buffy and William were at the counter deciding what they wanted.

The lady behind the counter smiled at the two children, holding hands.

“Is that your brother or your boyfriend?” she asked smiling at Buffy.

“The nice judge lady just said he can live with us forever and I love him ever so much,” Buffy said.

“Oh, I see.” she turned smiling at William,

“And do you love her?”

“Oh yes!” William said, nodding and looking serious.

“Well that’s nice, isn’t it” She beamed at them.

“They’re SO very proud and protective of one another!” Joyce said, stroking Williams’s head.

“Closer than twins even…they’re inseparable!” Hank said, smiling.

“So, what do you want, Buffy?”

“I want…same as William”

“Ok” Joyce smiled.

“What do you want, William?”

“Can I have……… a Happy Meal and a strawberry milkshake, please?”

“You may, is that what you want, Buffy?”

“Yes”

“Please” prompted William.

“Please!” Buffy said. Both Hank and Joyce smiled.

“Mom, oh, um, can I …can I call you mom?” William asked, looking up at her hopefully. Joyce grinned, nodded eagerly.

“Can we sit by the window, I want to show Buffy something”

“Sure” They found a table, and Buffy scooched up close to William. Joyce never did find out what it was that he wanted to show her, but they were both giggling.

“Just look at those two!” Joyce said to Hank, as she came from the counter with their order. They were very well behaved, and didn’t make a mess.


And so it went on. They were inseparable, and never once did Hank and Joyce ever regret adopting him, he was the ideal son to them. Most mornings Joyce would go into Buffy’s bedroom, only to find her bed empty, and in William’s room, sitting in bed and he reading her a story.

Buffy absolutely idolised her brother, she fussed round him and was always holding his hand. Both Joyce and Hank noticed how protective of each other they were, and how, even at school, they never seemed to bother with many other children, preferring instead to just be with each other.

After Sunday lunch, they did their usual ritual of going to the park, and getting ice cream.
“You ok, son?” Hank asked winking at William as he and Buffy took it in turns to throw bread to the ducks.

“Yes thankyou…my tummy doesn’t feel funny like it used to” he said Hank frown/smiled

“Oh…why’s that?”

“Because I haven’t got to go to St. Chad’s…I used to hate going back there when I’d been with you all weekend” Hank stood and walked over to the two children, hugging them both.

“Gods, I remember alright, we used to hate it too, didn’t we Princess, still you’ll never have to go back there again son…you belong to us now” William smiled and nodded happily.

“Dad…”

“Yes son?”

“Can we buy mommy some flowers?” Hank smiled

“I think, that’s a jolly good idea, she’d love that!”
William beamed as he walked back into the house, carrying a bunch of mixed cut blooms.

“Here mommy, these are for you”

“For me? Oh William they’re so beautiful! Come here…” She knelt down and gave him a big hug and a kiss.

“Ooh, aren’t we lucky to have you, eh?”

“Come on William, let’s go play outside”

“Go change first…then you can run along” They ran upstairs to do as their mother said.

“So…what are these for?” Joyce asked, beaming at her husband, kissing his cheek. Hank shrugged but he was grinning.

“Actually, I’m ashamed to say, but it was all William’s idea…they’d just finished feeding the ducks, and he just said, ‘dad, can we buy mommy some flowers’”

“He’s such a thoughtful little boy” Joyce carefully put the bunch of flowers on the kitchen counter, took out her secateurs, and began to cut the stems at an oblique angle and arrange them in her best crystal vase.

“I asked him if he was alright, and he said to me, yes, my tummy doesn’t hurt anymore, like it used to”

“What?” Joyce asked, slightly alarmed, the flower she was holding in mid air…

“About going back to the home on a Sunday evening…he used to hate it, and it gave him a funny tummy, I suppose”

“Thank god he’s ours…just look at them” Joyce shifted slightly so Hank could see them out of the window. They were both sitting on the garden seat, just talking, but they were sitting close, and turned to face each other.

“I don’t know what we’d have had to do if the adoption had been denied…” Hank said.

“DON’T…stuff of nightmares that…I swear I’d have gone on the run with him” Joyce said.

“Too right…oh, just look at them!”
Buffy and William were holding hands, and giggling their heads off.

“You know, I’ve NEVER heard them have a cross word…even when Buffy broke the lightening sword off his Jedi Warrior, he said it must have been nearly broken and wasn’t Buffy’s fault!” Joyce said. Hank smiled and said

“Bit of a difference between them and you and your sister!”

“Gods yes


********************************



A couple of months later, and nothing much had changed, they were still inseparable. One morning, as usual, Buffy pulled the stool to the cupboard, and took down Cocopops, and got out their bowls, then got milk from the refrigerator. William came downstairs slowly.

He didn’t feel too good.

“Don’t you like them anymore?” Buffy asked, as she spooned up the chocolaty milk, William had hardly touched his.

“Hmm…just not hungry…my tummy feels a bit funny” He had a quiet day at school, where he just sat quietly most of the day, they got home. Joyce noticed that William was extra quiet.

“What’s the matter honey?” Joyce asked. She squatted down by his chair, stroked the hair off his forehead. He’d hardly touched his tea, and Buffy looked so worried.

“My tummy hurts”

“Does it baby, where, show me” William lifted his jumper, and motioned towards his lower right hand side.

“Ok baby, do you feel sick?”

“A bit” William nodded.

“Well, think you should get undressed and go to bed, and if it hurts more, even if it’s the middle of the night, you call me and I’ll come to you, ok?” William nodded.

It was still light outside, but William got undressed and put on his pyjama’s. Buffy, not to be left out wanted to go to bed too, but in with William.

“Ok, but don’t jiggle about, you might hurt him” They both got into bed; Buffy was very good and lay still.

“You try and go to sleep…remember though, if it hurts, you call me, or get Buffy to get me” William nodded, turned on his side and closed his eyes. Joyce went down stairs. Hank would be home soon from work. He came in ten minutes later, kissed his wife.

“Where are the kids?”

“In bed, would you believe.”

“What, already, it’s not even seven o’clock yet, and still light!”

“I know, I think William has a touch of appendicitis…he didn’t eat his tea, or his breakfast come to that, and he told me his tummy hurt, he’s been extra quiet all day” Hank frowned, went up stairs.

Buffy was reading a book, William looked like he was asleep. Hank squatted down by the bedside, and whispered,

“Hello princess…don’t you think you ought to give William a little peace, and go in your own bed?”

“No daddy, he’s sick, and I must look after him” Buffy whispered back. Hank stood and smiled, leaned over and kissed his daughter’s forehead.

He didn’t kiss or touch William, as he didn’t want to disturb him. Hank went down and had his tea. At eight o’clock, Joyce went in to them, took the book off a sleeping Buffy and turned off the light.

They sat down to an evenings viewing, and during a commercial break, Joyce went to make a cup of tea. It was nearly ten o’clock.

She’d just put the tray down on the coffee table, when a white-faced Buffy came tearing down the stairs.

“Mommy, mommy! It’s William, he’s really hot and he’s going ‘ahhh’ and holding his tummy!”

“Phone the doctor!” Joyce said to Hank, and dashed up stairs.

“Mommy…it really hurts!” William said, his little face contorted with pain

“It’s ok baby…mommy’s here!” Joyce scooped him up and cradled him on her lap. She felt his forehead; he was running a temperature.

“Ten minutes, Joyce” Hank called up the stairs.

“What’s the matter with William, daddy?” Buffy looked really scared

“He’s got a poorly tummy, the doctors coming to give him some medicine to make him better” Buffy’s bottom lip trembled, and huge tears formed in her eyes.

“He will be ok?” Hank smiled, picked her up.

“Of course princess! Lets look out for the doctor, shall we?” After five minutes of waiting, with the front door open and the porch light on, Buffy could hear William crying, something he hardly ever did. She wriggled and Hank put her down, she dashed upstairs.

“Don’t cry William!”

“What’s wrong with him mommy…why won’t the doctor come!” She burst into tears, holding William’s hand. Then Joyce heard a car pull up and voices coming upstairs.

“Stand up, love, the doctors here” Joyce urged Buffy out of the way. The doctor came in, carrying his case.

“Right then, whose the patient?”

“William…I think it’s a touch of appendicitis, he’s been extra quiet and hardly touched his tea, and now he’s running a temperature, and it must hurt for him to get upset…” Joyce said.

“Ok…can you lie him down flat for me………there. Ok then William let me have a little look at your tummy…hmm…he’s a little distended. Is it here where it hurts?”

“Ye-yes! Ow! Mommy, it hurts!”

“It’s ok baby” Joyce looked worried, she kissed and stroked his head.

“Are you going to give him some medicine?” Buffy asked.

“Well, no. I think he ought to go to the hospital to see a doctor there to make his tummy all better.” He said to Buffy, then turned to Joyce

“Will you take him, or do you want to call an ambulance?”

“We’ll take him…oh gods, he WILL be alright?”

“I’m sure…”

“Mommy, where’s William going?” Buffy began to panic.
Hank wrapped a blanket around him and carried downstairs to the car. Buffy ran down after them.

“Twins?” The doctor asked, smiling

“No, William’s adopted, but they’re inseparable” Joyce said. Buffy was outside, in her nightie, nothing on her feet, crying. Grabbing her coat and slippers for her, Joyce picked up Buffy and put her in the back with William, who immediately cuddled him up.

Grabbing her purse Joyce closed the front door and raced to the car. They quickly got to the hospital. The doctor had phoned ahead, and they were expecting them.

William was put on a trolley and wheeled through some doors that they weren’t allowed to go through. Buffy was sobbing her little heart out, saying she wanted her William.

“Don’t cry love…the doctors will make him better.” She wouldn’t be calmed, and began to hiccup and sob, her breath catching until she was physically sick.

The nurse gave her some pink medicine to drink to calm her down.

Eventually she fell asleep on her daddy’s lap, her head on his shoulder, her breath catching in little whimpering sobs, every now and again.

An hour later, William was asleep in the recovery ward, having had an appendectomy. Joyce came through to Hank.

“I’ll stay here with him, you go have a quick look at him, then take Buffy home”

“Ok, love” he passed over their sleeping daughter to Joyce, and went down to the recovery ward. He stroked his sleeping sons head, and kissed his forehead. He went back to Joyce, and as she was handing over Buffy, she woke.

“William!”

“Shh, baby…doctors made him all better, he’s asleep now, but we mustn’t wake him”

“But I want to see him” her eyes big and her bottom lip a-tremble again.

“In the morning, love!”

“NO! Please mommy, please! I want to see him!” she started to cry again.

“What do you think?” Joyce asked Hank.

“I don’t know…that um, drip thing in his arm might frighten her” Hank whispered.

“I know”

“Oh dear…she won’t settle, even after that draft I gave her?” The nurse asked, giving them a pained smile.

“I –I w-w-want…to see…my W-W-Will-Will-yum!” Buffy sobbed.

“She’s his shadow” Joyce said to the nurse, giving her a pained smile, rubbing her daughter’s back while Hank held her.

“Are they twins?”

“The doctor asked me that, no, we adopted him two months ago”

“Will-yum…I wan-want my W-Will-yum!” Buffy sobbed.

“Let her see him, it won’t hurt” The nurse nodded and smiled.

“Um…the drip, it might frighten her”

“I’ve an idea…come on poppet, lets take you to see William” Hank put her down. Still sobbing, catching her breath and gulping, she eventually calmed. The nurse got her a tissue, squatted down in front of her, and she wiped Buffy’s eyes.

“Now, we must be quiet, ok, because he needs to sleep, come on then” She held the nurses hand, a little whimper caught her throat every now and again.

“Now, you’ll see that he has something in his arm, don’t worry, it’s just to stop any nasty germs that might hurt him, ok its to stop his tummy feeling sore, it’s keeping William safe” Buffy nodded.

“Is he better now?” she asked, a sob still catching her making her whimper.

“Yes. You can come and see him in the morning, when he’s awake”

“Will his tummy still hurt?”

“Um, for a little while, he’s got stitches” The nurse explained.

“Stitches? Like when Xander fell off his bike and cut his chin?” Buffy asked, round eyed.

“Yes, it’s where the doctor took out the bit of tummy that hurt him”

“But William had a tummy ache, he didn’t fall and cut himself” Buffy reasoned.

“Listen poppet, William’s had an operation, to take out a bit of tummy making him hurt, otherwise he could of got really, really sick. But he’ll be better in the morning, but he’ll have to rest, but you must be a big girl and be good for mommy and daddy, then you can see William tomorrow, ok?” Buffy nodded slowly, but she looked petrified.

“Can I touch him?” Buffy asked, her red-rimmed eyes looking pleadingly at the nurse

“Very gently then…try not to wake him” Buffy went round the bed and pulled the chair out quietly, knelt on it, and very carefully kissed his forehead, and whispered something to him. He stirred, and touched her hand.

The nurse had to bite back tears; she thought that she’d never seen anything so sweet and loving in all her life. As the nurse lead her out, she looked back at her brother for as long as she could.

“William’s had a… hopper-ray-shun and he’s got stitches like what Xander had, but I can see him in the morning” Buffy informed her parent’s matter-of-factly. They had both watched what she’d just done.

“What did you say to him?” Hank asked, stroking his daughter’s head.

“It’s a secret. I might tell you when I see him in the morning” Buffy said, enigmatically

“We’ll see” Joyce said.

“The nurse lady said…please mommy!” She started crying again.

“Oh…”

“Bye love, I’ll get her home” Hank kissed Joyce, who then went back to sit by William’s bed. Hank drove home. By now, it was nearly twenty past two in the morning, He put Buffy in William’s bed, she insisted.

“Promise I can see William in the morning, daddy” Buffy insisted.

“See what the doctor says”

“Please daddy!” she started to cry again.

“Ok, ok…shh, don’t cry” Eventually, she fell into a fitful sleep.


**
She went running into her dad at first light.

“Can we go now daddy, it’s morning!”

“Buffy!” Hank said sleepily. Rousing himself from about six layers of sleep, he wearily looked at the clock radio. He hadn’t come to bed until gone three, trying to do some work, as he knew he’d have to take half the morning off at least. It was 6.23am.

“It’s not half past six yet, it’s too early…come on, get in” he held up the covers, and Buffy got into bed, but wanted to talk.

“Princess, Daddy needs more sleep, I need to be able to drive the car safely, go back to sleep for a while”

“I can’t…I’ve tried”

“Well, then, go watch TV for a while, but quietly.” She got out of bed, went into William’s bed again.

Hank didn’t get back to sleep, and at seven thirty he was up and in the shower. Joyce phoned at ten to eight.

“How is he?”

“Oh, comfortable, he’s had a few sips of water. How’s Buffy, asleep still I bet”

“Huh, you’re joking, she was in our room at first light, demanding to be brought to see her brother, that was before half past six! I told her I needed more sleep so I could drive safely, I was up until gone three working on the Mason report”

“Daddy, can we go now?” Buffy demanded, she was dressed.

“Want to speak to mommy?”
She took the phone.

“What’s My William say?” Were her first words to her mommy.

“Um, he said, I’m thirsty, and he asked for you, but he’s gone back to sleep now”

“Tell him I won’t be long” Joyce smiled.

“Ok, love, I’ll tell him”

“Bye, see you soon” She put the phone down, Hank wanted to speak to Joyce.

“Oh. I wanted to talk some more to your mom” Hank said.

“You can see her in a few minutes, come on!” Buffy had the front door open, she’d put her shoes on and was carrying Mr Ted.

“Don’t I get any breakfast?” Hank asked, slightly bemused, doing up his tie.

“Come ON daddy, it’s cold!” Buffy called from outside. Hank rolled his eyes and got his keys. The cold morning air soon woke him up.

“I’ve been trying to phone you, Buffy put the phone down” Joyce kissed her husband’s cheek as he appeared outside the ward 15 minutes later.

“Where’s her coat?” Joyce asked Hank.

“Huh, I didn’t get her coat, or coffee, or even breakfast, she was rushing me out of the front door as soon as I came down from my shower…” Hank said smiling

“Come on, I want to see William, he needs me!” Buffy was pulling at her mother’s skirt.

“Buffy, William will still be asleep!” Joyce said.

“No he isn’t!” Buffy insisted.

“Goodness, you’re early!” The nurse smiled at Buffy, the one who’d taken her to see William in the early hours, she hadn’t even finished her nightshift.

“You said I could see him in the morning, and he needs me” Buffy said.

“Well, yes I did, didn’t I - and I know you love your brother very much!”

“She just idolises him!” Joyce said, by way of an explanation.

“She’s been champing at the bit to see him since before half past six this morning! So, how’s my son now?” Hank asked. Joyce said,

“He’s a little groggy still, had a few sips of water…”
Where’s Buffy gone?” Hank asked looking around. Joyce rolled her eyes. They went to the room, there was Buffy, sitting facing her brother on his bed, stroking his arm, their foreheads touching and she gave him a soft little kiss on his lips. They were whispering. Joyce teared up.

“She just loves him to bits”

“And he’s the same with her” Hank said. The nurse smiled and said,

“Ahh, that’s SO cute” there was a little huddle of nurses watching the two children, smiling and cooing over their antics. A doctor came into the room and smiled at them. Joyce and Hank went in.

“Sorry doctor, they’re inseparable, I can’t keep them apart!” He looked up and smiled.

“That’s ok, don’t even try to then…I’m sure he’ll get better far more quickly with her here, anyway” he smiled at them, then said to William,

“Ok then William, can I look at your stitches, see that they’re ok?”

“Get off the bed Buffy, there’s a good girl, let the doctor look at William, please” Hank said. She got off and stood by the doctor, craned her neck to look at his stitches. The doctor lifted the dressing, there was a little blood on it.

“Does it hurt?” she asked her brother.

“Nah…well, a little bit” William said.

“Ok then William, you can have some breakfast, some jell-o and a little ice cream.”

“Ice cream for breakfast?” William smiled and raised his brows.

“Special treat. Now, I’ll leave you in the capable hands of Nurse Buffy here, ok, I’m sure she’ll look after you, won’t you love?” Buffy beamed and felt hugely important!

“Oh yes!”

“Yeah, thanks!” the doctor wrote something on his chart, and the smiling at Hank and Joyce; he went to talk to them. He left after telling them all being well, William could go home the next day, and Buffy could sleep on a cot next to his bed.

He came back two minutes later, with a theatre cap he’d put a red cross on it and said it was for Nurse Buffy. She was SO proud! And fussed round William all day.

By late lunchtime, the early morning had got the better of them both, and they lay, side by side, holding hands, fast asleep. A doctor looked in on them and smiled when he saw them.

“I was told they were very close” he said to Joyce.
“She’s his shadow, I swear she hardly ever lets his hand go…but he never pulls away or wipes off her kisses, so…”

“Well, I’m sure he’ll get better far quicker with her here, we find that with twins”

“Oh, they’re not twins, he’s adopted…” Joyce said.

“Really? Wow! Well, they sure are close!” As they watched, Buffy stirred at William moving slightly, and as soon as they settled, their hands clasped again. The doctor smiled.

“I think that’s the sweetest thing I ever saw”
Joyce and Hank smiled.

The nurses thought them so cute, they made Buffy a name badge, with Nurse Buffy on it, and when it came for William’s medication, the nurse gave Buffy the little cup with the medicine in it to give to William.

“Tell him to drink it all up…then gently wipe his mouth, ok?” Buffy nodded, taking her ‘duty’ seriously.

“William here’s your medicine, you must drink it all up, ok?”

“Ok”

“There. You’re very good!” Buffy dabbed his mouth, fussing him.

“Shall we watch Spongebob Squarepants now?” William nodded, and Buffy lay next to him.
One of the doctors came in beaming a smile and said,

“Hello, hello, what’s all this then? We have a pretty new nurse on the wards, I hear…where is she?”

“I’m nurse Buffy!”

“Are you indeed…well, I see that you’re looking after your patient very well…so nurse Buffy, want to come on a date with me, I like pretty nurses!” he teased, grinning

“No…got to look after my William!”

“Oh, I see…so you love your William then?”

“Oh yes!” she nodded seriously. There was a discreet cough, and about eight nurses, who were crowded around the door all moved for the surgeon who had come to look at his patient.

“No wonder I couldn’t find a nurse when I wanted one!” They all grinned at him. He checked over William, and then fixed Buffy with a serious eye.

“You’ve been looking after him, I understand”

“Yes” Buffy nodded.

“Well, you’ve done an excellent job, and as there’s no swelling, and no high temperature, I think, as long as you keep looking after him, nurse Buffy, young William here can go home”

They both beamed, and Buffy hugged William. Everyone said,

“Awwwww!”

They left with armfuls of gifts, and Buffy carefully wheeled William out to the car in a wheelchair.
“Bring him back in five days for the stitches to be removed, but if he suddenly gets pain or a temperature, don’t hesitate to bring him back” Joyce nodded.

When they got home, Buffy insisted that she sleep on the camp bed next to William’s bed, so she could look after him properly!
“What harm can it do, just until he has his stitches out”

Three weeks later, William was totally better. His scar had healed nicely, and there were no complications. They left the surgeons office after having him checked over and Hank had promised to take them swimming.