Author's Chapter Notes:
This is for all the nice people who gave me feedback
Chapter 2

The following morning, being a teacher, Joyce and Buffy were some of the first to get to the school.
Buffy kept vigil by the door, and as soon as Mrs Betts arrived with William, Buffy went up to her, held her hand and pulled her further into the classroom.

“Mrs Betts, you must speak with my mommy, now”

“Oh…who is your…Oh, hello Mrs Summers…is everything alright?”
Buffy took a huge breath and said,

“This is my mommy, we want William to come to tea and play on my Jungle Gym, he hasn’t got a mommy but my mommy says we’ve got to ask you, as you look after him, please say yes you’ll let him come, please!”

“Well!” Mrs Betts laughed.

“Um…he was going to go to a foster family this weekend”

“Please?” Buffy looked up.

“Um…well, next week, perhaps”

“Tonight, please!” Buffy began to jig about, and get angsty.

“Buffy be a good girl and go play” Joyce said

“I want William to be with us, please mommy, please!” she was nearly crying now.

“She has taken a shine to him, hasn’t she?” Mrs Betts smiled.

“Everyone keeps saying that, she hasn’t shut up about him since she met him.

“Actually…I was chatting with my husband last night…um hold on, have you got time for a coffee?” Joyce asked. Mrs Betts looked at her watch. I’ve got to go to the family court at 10.30…but, yes, I have time”.

There were a few more children arriving, and Buffy and William went off.

When Mrs Betts left, Buffy came over to her mother.

“Can William come to tea?”

“Next week”

“Oh but mom-“

“Buffy…they have to check stuff out, then we might have a surprise, now, go play”

“Surprise?” Buffy looked at her mom, eyebrows raised. Joyce knew instantly it was a mistake to have told her that, she wouldn’t get a minutes peace now!

“Go and play, else he won’t be able to come, ever, now be good and we’ll see” Buffy ran off.

The week flew by, and the weekend, and on the following Monday, when William didn’t turn up for nursery class, Buffy was in absolute floods of tears, nothing would console her. Joyce phoned the home. William had gone to the foster family, and their dog had tripped him up, and he’d hurt his arm, it had to be all bandaged up.

“Oh, Buffy has been inconsolable all day!” Joyce said, then added,

“Um, I know it’s a bit soon, but any news?”

“Yes, actually as you are already a teacher and undergone the security checks by social services…”

Later on that evening…………………




“Where are we going?” Buffy asked. They didn’t usually go out after tea, not on a school night, she was intrigued.

“You’ll see, come on, let’s get that belt done up” Joyce strapped her in.

Hank came too. They drove for a while, and then pulled up outside a big old-fashioned red-bricked building.

“Gods, it looks a depressing place!” Hank said as he got out of the car.

“Are we here? – What’s this – where are we?” she quickly undid the clip of the safety belt and scrambled out when her daddy opened the door for her. She could read the sign, saw the words ‘foster home’

“Is William here?” Before they reached the top of the steps, Mrs Betts had the door open and was smiling at them.

“Come in, come in…through here, if you’d like to follow me”

She led the way down a corridor. Hank looked around, they’d tried to brighten the place up with pictures, photos, and a lick of bright paint, but, well, the place still looked like an institution.

“Here we are, the TV lounge.”

William was sitting in the chair, watching TV, his arm in a sling.

“William!” Buffy ran to him.

“Your all hurted! Mommy, look!” Buffy thought she might cry when she saw his arm all bandaged up.
Mrs Betts smiled, she hadn’t said anything to William about Buffy coming to see him.

Buffy ran over and hugged him, being careful about his arm. William looked really happy to see her and didn’t pull away when she held his hand. Hank smiled.

“This is my daddy” Buffy said proudly. Hank squatted down and looked at William.

“Hello, William, um, pleased to meet you” Hank held out his hand and hesitatingly, William shook it.

“Hello”
“Daddy, this is William and he hurted his arm, a big dog did it, and he doesn’t like it there, and he doesn’t have to go there again, so, can he come and have tea with us?” Hank smiled, he’d never seen Buffy so fired up before.

“We’ll see princess, see what Mrs Betts says, eh?”

“Hope she says yes!” Buffy said.

“Hank, come through?” Joyce said, calling her husband from the doorway.

“Now, will you two be alright while I go talk to your mommy and daddy?” Mrs Betts asked Buffy.

“Yes, I’m with William” Buffy said, holding his hand. The three adults smiled and left the room.

Buffy’s attention went back to William’s bandaged arm, and she frowned slightly, and then asked,

“Does it still hurt?”

“Bit…not too much” William said, being brave.

“Angel said you’d gone on an aeroplane today, so I hit him” Buffy said. They were sitting side by side, Buffy still holding his hand.

“Ooh, William’s got a girlfriend!” Two older children came into the room.

“Shut up, Michael” William said.

“Shan’t………is she your girlfriend?”
William ignored them.

“Leave him alone” Buffy said.

“Leave him alone” mimicked the older girl.

“Michael, Natalie, come on, it’s your bath time, and you William” A young girl called the older children.

“I can’t, my arm, I can’t get it wet, you’ve got to see Mrs Betts” William said.

“Oh. Well ok, you stay here then…who are you?” She asked Buffy.

“Buffy”

“Oh. Are you his sister?”

“No” Hearing voices, the girl looked up.

“William’s bath?” she asked Mrs Betts.

“Oh, um, leave it for tonight, I’ll sort it, thankyou Sharon” Mrs Betts said. The girl nodded and went off, taking the two older children with her. Buffy saw her mom and dad standing outside, still talking to Mrs Betts. She saw her dad holding a big brown envelope.

“Come on, let’s see if they’ll let you come” She helped him off the sofa, and opened the door carefully.

Can William come to tea?” Buffy looked up hopefully. Hank smiled and squatted down between them.

“Better than that, princess…how would you like to come and stay for the weekend, at our house?” Hank asked William, smiling. William beamed a big smile.

“Oh, yes please!” Buffy jumped up and down, so excitedly, babbling on about the Jungle Gym and swimming, then she said,

“I hope your arm will be better…” Mrs Betts and Joyce were both grinning at the children’s reaction.

“So, when?” Joyce asked, turning back to Mrs Betts.

“Um, tomorrow, 4.30pm. I’ve done all the necessary paperwork, and either a Mrs Collins or a Mrs Wilkes will come. It’s only a quick check, just a look round to see that your home is suitable for a child. There shouldn’t be a problem, as there already is a child in the house the same age…oh, he, um, he would have his own room?”

“Oh yes, don’t worry about that” Joyce said, making a quick mental note to clear out the spare bedroom when she got home.

“Good. Well, I’ll see you the weekend, then”

“Oh, William not coming to class then?”

“Well…”

“He can sit with us, he likes to be quiet anyway, he can read. Buffy won’t leave him alone!” Joyce said grinning.

“Just look at them…if they were ten years older, I’d be worried!” Hank said smiling. They were standing close together, foreheads touching, Buffy was rubbing his arm.

“That’s so sweet! Come on then”

“Could we…could we take them for ice cream?” Hank asked.

“What, now?” Mrs Betts asked.

“Yes, come too if you like” Hank said.
Mrs Betts hesitated, then relented.

“Oh…go on then, I’ll just get my coat”
Joyce smiled.

“Buffy, William!” they both just turned their heads in Joyce’s direction.

“Want to go for ice-cream?”

“Yeah!” they both said, and ran to the car. Hank let them in, and strapped them both in.

“Do you like football, William?”

“I supported Arsenal like my dad…your football is different here”

“Yes. But I like English football, my brother and I used to support a team called Manchester United, have you heard of them?” Hank asked.

“Oh yes, but Arsenal are way better than them though!” William said, smiling. Hank glanced through the driving mirror smiling at him.

He noticed that his daughter’s hand was holding William’s again!

After going for ice cream, Hank took them back to the home. It was nearly dark, and they both felt SO grown up being out at night.

“Ok then come on, say goodnight to William, Buffy.” Joyce said

“Goodnight William, see you in the morning…” she kissed his cheek, and gave him a hug. William went a little red, but he didn’t wipe the kiss off, as the adults expected him to do. They watched as Mrs Betts put her arm around his shoulder, and led him up the steps back inside. Hank bibbed the horn and they both turned and waved, Buffy blowing him kisses! Hank and Joyce didn’t discuss things until they got home and Buffy had gone to bed.

Well, he IS a really nice lad, and Buffy’s totally besotted with him…and I couldn’t leave him in a place like that, no matter how much they try with bright paint and pictures, it’ll always look like an institution.” Hank said.

“So…if this weekend works out, and we have a lot more…” Joyce began

“Lets see how the weekend goes, shall we, now, where’s that envelope, let’s get that form filled in shall we?” Hank said.


********************

Friday, 4.00pm

Joyce had bought a dark blue duvet cover and curtains, and put a poster of a big red sports car on the wall. She’d cleared out the wardrobe, and bedside table, and put a clock and a lamp on the side.

She was pleased that they’d painted the room in the New Year, chosen a neutral shade of Magnolia.

“There, what do you think? – Think William will like it?” Joyce asked Buffy. Buffy nodded her head slowly up and down thinking, and then ran and fetched Mr Ted, her favourite teddy, and sat him on the pillow.

“He can keep him company,” Buffy said, looking around

“That’s nice!” Joyce said, smiling.

“What time’s he coming?”

“Well, daddy is going to go and fetch him in a few minutes, do you want to go with him?”

“Yeah!” Buffy jumped up and down. She’d put her new jeans and sneakers on, and her pink tee shirt,

Joyce had put her hair up in a ponytail using a pretty pink scrunchie. She was SO excited; you wouldn’t have believed that she’d seen William half an hour previously at school.

“Right then love, I’m off” Hank said.

“Wait for me, daddy!”

“Oh, you’re coming too then, princess?” Buffy carefully ran down the stairs.

She opened the car door and scrambled in, Hank strapped her in.

When they got there, William was waiting, looking out of the window. Buffy was out of the straps and impatiently waited for her father to open the door for her. She bounded out and up the stairs to the home.

“William!” she hugged him and kissed his cheek, then felt for his hand.

“Oh, your bandage has gone!”

“Yes, took it off just. It’s nearly better now, look, the bruise has nearly gone.”

“Come on, let’s go!” they bounded to the car, William as eager as she was. Hank smiled and took William’s little suitcase off Mrs Betts.

“Good luck, but I’ve a feeling you won’t need it!” she said, smiling fondly at the two children waiting by the car.

“No, I don’t think we will!” Hank said grinning.

“Bye then”

“Bye-bye Mr Summers…Oh, er, no later than 7.30pm Sunday night, ok?”
Hank nodded, and then walked over to he car.

“Come on then let’s get you home, shall we go to MacDonald’s for tea after we’ve been shopping?”

“Yeah!” Both Buffy and William shouted, smiling.
He strapped the pair of them into the seat, and drove home.

Hank pulled up on the driveway. He got out, and as Buffy and William had already undone their seatbelts, he just had to open the door for them because of the child safety locks. The two children bounded into the house, leaving Hank to lock the car and bring in William’s little suitcase. Joyce had milk and cookies waiting for them.

“You’ve got your own room, Buffy will show you when you’ve finished your milk, ok?” Joyce said, squatting down by William. She lovingly stroked his hair from across his forehead. He nodded and said,

“Thankyou!”

“There’s a good boy. Now, Buffy, don’t start getting all your games out, we’ll be going shopping to the mall soon” Joyce warned her daughter.

“Ok mom…ready William?” William drained his glass, put it carefully on the counter, wiped his mouth on the back of his hand and nodded.

“Yes!”

“Come on then…” Buffy took his hand and led him upstairs.

“She’s a bit young, isn’t she?” Hank said, with a smile, putting the little suitcase at the bottom of the stairs.

“What’s that?” Joyce asked, smiling.

“Taking a boy upstairs!”

“Don’t tell me, she was leading him by the hand” Joyce asked, going into the kitchen to make coffee.

“Yes…as soon as I’d strapped them in the car, she was holding his hand!”


“…And this is Mr Ted…he’ll keep you company in the night. Do you like it?” Buffy asked, big eyed, hoping he would.

“Yeah…it’s great! I like that car, too” William said, pointing to the poster of the Ferrari.

“When you’re big, will you buy one and take me for a ride in it?” Buffy asked. William nodded and said,

“Oh yes!” They sat on the bed, legs swinging over the edge. Buffy noticed a slight greenish yellow tinge to his arm still.

“Does your arm still hurt?”

“Nah…well, not much” Buffy rubbed it, and William smiled, Buffy smiled too.

“It’ll be better now!” Buffy said, and William nodded in agreement.

“What’s your favourite food?” Buffy suddenly asked.

“Erm…sausages…and chips, ‘cept you call them fries over here…and chips are crisps, which is funny!” They both laughed.

“What do you like?” William asked.

“I like…pizza…and chicken. I love ice-cream”

“Me too”

“Chocolate”

“I like chocolate…and vanilla”

“I hate broccoli,” Buffy said, wrinkling her nose.

“Yuk! Me too…and cabbage…and sprouts”

“What are sprouts?”

“They’re green…like little cabbages…Yuk!”

“Angel made Xander eat a worm once…” Buffy said. They both giggled at this.

“Buffy…William…come on down, we’ll be going in a minute” Joyce called up the stairs. The two of them went down. Joyce took a phone call, and Hank was doing some writing in the den, so Buffy and William went out into the garden to wait.

“Buffy, stop showing off” Joyce called out; tapping the kitchen window to get her daughter’s attention. The phone call had taken longer than expected, and getting fed up of waiting, Buffy began to climb. She was hanging upside down from the top bar of the Jungle gym.

“I’m not frightened!” Buffy insisted, pulling herself up to a sitting position, then she leant forward, making her way hand over hand on the horizontal ladder, she slid through the bars and jumped off the bottom rung.

“That was clever” William said, full of admiration, he’d never met a girl who liked climbing before!

Buffy grinned and swelled with pride, and reaching for his hand, they raced off up the garden. Hank walked into the kitchen draining his coffee cup.

“Are they playing nicely?”

“Buffy’s showing off…look, they’re sitting on the swing together!” William was sitting properly; Buffy was facing him, sitting astride him on his lap! They swung gently.

“I can go really high!” Buffy was saying. Hank had come out into the garden to them.

“Not with two of you on it young lady…anyway, ready to come to the mall?” Hank asked.

“Yeah!” They both chorused. Buffy scrambled off his lap, waited for William to stand up, then took his hand, and they ran to Hank.

“Are your hands clean?” Joyce asked.

“Um…no, we were in the sand pit”

“Come on then, wash them quickly………there!” Joyce wiped faces too, and hung up the towel.

“Come on then get into the car” They did as they were told, Hank fixed the seatbelts for them both. He smiled; they were holding hands, again!