Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Margaret, rosie, fallen_angel, and cordykitten :D
5:30 p.m.

Willow hadn’t felt that sated in, well, ever. She enjoyed their games as much as Xander did, consequently wearing them both out. That’s why she didn’t hear the doorbell, even though it was well on its fifth ring.

Willow didn’t get up until the phone on the night stand by their bed began ringing. Feeling quite drowsy, she picked it up with clumsy hand.

“Hello?” She said in a dry, raspy voice.

“Jesus, Red. You goin’ to open up the door or not?” A slightly irked Spiked asked into the receiver.

“Yeah, I’m coming.” She said with a loud yawn into the phone before hanging up.

“Xander, Spike’s here.” Xander mumbled something unintelligible in response before turning over on his side. Willow sighed heavily as she slowly rose from the bed, getting her robe from behind her bedroom door. Tying the sash and idly wondering if she had bed head (she did), she headed to the front hall and unlocked the door. Before she could question his presence, Spike went barreling past her, clearly agitated.

“You won’t bloody believe the day I’ve had. Rewrites are kicking my ass. So, she ready yet? ” He looked at her expectantly.

“Spike, what are you…” and then she remembered- Dawn. She was supposed to have picked up Dawn. Her eyes went wide as she threw her hands over her mouth, covering up her shouted “Oh god!”

“What’s with you red? Kids are kinda quiet. What, you give them a dose, or something?” He asked with a light smile. Willow felt sick to her stomach.

“Oh, Spike, I-”

“Dawn! Come on, it’s time to go!” He shouted, assuming she was upstairs with Jesse.

“You look ill, pet. Is everything alright?” He asked while going to her side, ever considerate. Willow listlessly shook her head.

“No, Spike. She- I, I forgot. To pick her up… and-”

“What?” Spike said, clearly startled, and seemingly unsure of what she meant.

“I’m so, so sorry, I forgot. I don’t know what I was thinking, and-”

“Willow, what the fuck do you mean you forgot! Then where the hell is she!?”

********

3:55 p.m.

“Wait. I wanna check something out first. You mind if we drive by there?” Dawn asked, giving her mo- Drusilla Willow’s address. She just wanted to make sure everything was all right.

“Are you going inside, or…” Drusilla trailed off, unsure of what was going on. Dawn spotted the infamous green mini van in the driveway.

“She forgot about me,” Dawn whispered to herself. “Right, cause it’s not like I’m of any importance or anything.” She said glumly.

“Dawnie, that’s not true.” Drusilla said in a soothing voice, though it did anything but.

“Oh, what would you know? And don’t call me ‘Dawnie.’ Take me home, please.” She said, looking out of the window and clearly ignoring her. Drusilla nodded her head more to herself than Dawn and put the rented silver Camry in drive. About ten minutes later, they arrived at casa de Giles.

“So, you like want anything to drink or something?” Dawn asked, trying to mask her nervousness. It felt odd, having her there. It almost felt like Drusilla, the woman who birthed her, was some sort of intruder. She knew that her dad would be mighty angry if he found out. This is why she planned on never telling him. ‘Better make this visit quick,’ Dawn thought to herself, thinking that somehow that just by Drusilla simply breathing there her dad would somehow discover the truth, knowing that she had been in his home. He’d more than likely view it as sacrilegious.

“No. But thank you. Is it okay if I sat down?” She asked, motioning towards the couch. Dawn nodded her head, sitting down at the other end, hesitantly.

“Why’d you come back?” Dawn asked, emotionless and looking at her fidgeting hands.

“I didn’t mean to bother you or anything like that. I was just wondering how you were? If maybe, you’d had any questions for me?” Drusilla asked, shifting her body so that she faced Dawn. She still wouldn’t look at her.

“Well, I guess I always wondered why you left.” Drusilla exhaled a deep breath, tucking some of her long raven hair behind her ear.

“I, uh, I had some issues, Dawn. I wasn’t well. I wasn’t fit to be your mother.”

“And what, now you are?” Dawn asked, clearly sarcastic, finally looking at her. Drusilla’s eyes began to water.

“I just, I just wanted you to know that I’m better now, and if you ever need me, for anything, I’ll do it. No questions asked, or…”

“Then why come now? Why not earlier, or-”

“I did. It was a few years ago. Four, actually.”

“But you never said anything, right? I would’ve remembered seeing you.” Dawn said, uncertainty creeping upon her. She didn’t want to think that maybe she did and her dad just didn’t tell her, but she couldn’t help the thought from forming.

“No. I saw you, the both of you, but I didn’t say anything.” Dawn breathed a sigh of relief.

“Why? Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I was afraid. I didn’t know how William would react, or-”

“It’s Spike, now.”

“What?”

“He doesn’t go by that name anymore. He says it reminds him of things past he’d really rather forget.” Drusilla knew exactly what she meant. “So, you’re not afraid anymore? Is that why you came?”

“Actually, Dawn, I had something I needed to ask of you. Well, I have something to tell you first, but… See, these last few years, I’ve been living in New York. I was pretty down, and lonely… and I met someone. I thought that you were old enough to know.”

“Pft. That’s all? You met someone? Well, that’s good, I guess.” Dawn said, thankful that she and her father had Buffy in their lives.

“Actually, no. That’s not all, Dawn. You see…”

******

5:34 p.m.

Xander was having a horrible nightmare. He thought he was back in his parents’ house, where there seemed to be endless yelling and arguing. Just as he was about to pull a pillow over his ears, he heard a man’s voice yell Willow’s name. That was what pulled him from his slumber. Willow. She needed him. As he became more awake and alert, he realized that the man who was yelling his wife’s name was Spike. Quickly putting on his boxers, he quickly stumbled out of his room.

“… don’t sodden believe you. Start callin’ all the lil soccer mom’s you know. Maybe one of them gave her a ride or something… Call me as soon as you hear anything.” Spike barked out to a weeping Willow. Well, sobbing would be more accurate.

“What the hell is going on?” Xander asked as he went to Willow, completely confused as to what was going on in his own home. Spike proceeded to walk out the front door.

“Ask your incompetent wife.” Spike’s retreating form sneered. He slammed the front door in his wake. Xander turned to look at a red faced, tear streaked Willow.

“Incompetent?” He asked, completely bewildered. Willow was one of the most, no, the most responsible person he had ever known in his entire life. This just wasn’t making any sense.

“Willow, what’s going on?”

“I- I forgot.”

“Forgot what?”

“Dawn!” She yelled before bursting into tears again, grabbing a hold of him.

“Dawn? You forgot about Dawn!” Xander asked, his tone going a pitch or two higher than it normally was. Realization gripped him suddenly.

“Well, I didn’t mean to! I would never on purpose- oh god! The phone calls! I gotta call the other parents. See if they picked her up…” she trailed off before grabbing the cordless. Knowing that she was much too flustered to speak clearly, he walked over and gently took the phone from her trembling fingers. He asked for the first number. Willow gave it to him with a sad, but grateful smile. She felt comforted knowing that he was there. As Willow was being comforted, alone, Spike was on the verge of hysterics.

While repeating the mantra “Just breathe,” he sped down the streets like a madman. Sweat profusely building upon his brow, he pulled out his cell phone and called the police. As he stumbled through the conversation, he wasn’t quite sure what was said, or if it could even help. Somehow, he managed to get some sort of general information out, before hanging up. Looking on his recently received calls list, he instantly dialed Angel. For that particular conversation, he somehow managed to sound calm and indifferent. He thought someone competent should know what was going on.

As soon as he got to the school and saw that it was deserted, he promptly vomited on the black top.

“Oh god, please. Please let her be alright. Please, please…” He whispered, hunched over and hands braced on his knees. Hoping that maybe somehow she managed to get home, he got back into his car, breaking the speed limits once again all the way to his home.

“Dawn! Dawn, are you there!?” He yelled, frantic, running around the house checking all the rooms. There was no sign that she’d been there. Finally ending up in her room, he leaned against the door jamb, looking at her frilly, pink bed spread and boy band posters. Stuffed animals, toys, books… All the stuff she had in it, and it felt nothing but empty to him.

“No, no, no. This can’t- this can’t be happening. Oh Dawnie, where are you luv? God, please, let me find my little girl. She’s everything to me. She’s…” He trailed off, sobbing to himself. He was losing it, and he knew it. He just couldn’t help himself. Every horrible thought imaginable of what could have happened to her shot through his mind like a poison. He never felt so weak and helpless before in his life. He needed strength. He needed his father. With even shakier hands than before, he pulled out his cell phone again. Not being able to think clearly enough to recall the number, he scrolled down his phone book to the letter D. The phone rang four times, seemingly an eternity to Spike, before the older man answered.

“Giles here. Who’s calling?”

“Dad?” When his son said his name like that, a low whisper and sounding very scared and vulnerable, Giles feared the worst.

“Oh god. Is everything alright? Is it Wesley?”

“What? No. No it’s not- it’s Dawn.”

“Dawn?” He asked, clearly perplexed.

“She’s missing. I can’t… I can’t find-”

“Bloody hell, William. She isn’t missing. She’s right here with me and Anya, baking cookies.”

“She’s what?”

“Yeah, been here little over an hour. Sorry for the terrible scare, we should have called. Evidently, Willow forgot to pick her up, and she got a ride here.” Spike gave a long, hysterical laugh at that.

“She’s alright? Dawnie’s okay? Really?”

“Yes, William. She’s fine.” He said in his comforting, father voice.

“I’ll be right over.”

“Alright son. We’ll be here.”

“Dad?”

“Yes?”

“I love you, you know.” He said with a sniffle.

“Love you too, William.”

********

6:15 p.m.

“Come on, Dawn. We’re baking cookies! And you being an adolescent with a very high metabolism, should be enjoying the sweet, sugary fatty goodness that is oatmeal cookie dough.” Anya admonished after putting another chunk of dough into her mouth.

“Anya, luv, if you won’t stop eating the dough, then there won’t be many cookies to eat.” Giles said, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“Yeah, well, your enormous child inside of me demands otherwise. Sorry.” She said lightly, pinching off another piece of dough. But Dawn couldn’t stop thinking about the fact that her dad would be there any minute. She couldn’t stop thinking about Drusilla’s request, and how she would have to talk to her father about it. Just thinking about his reaction to the mere fact that she had met the woman made her come over a bit queasy. Let alone what she asked of her… Dawn was becoming more terrified by the moment, and therefore, not hungry at all for cookies or dough.

“Oh boy, he’ll be so angry.” She thought aloud. Mistaking what she was referring to, Giles and Anya tried to be comforting.

“Dawn, your father was worried about you, not angry.” Giles said, giving her a pat on the shoulder.

“Besides, it wasn’t her fault, ya know. Willow did forget her.” Anya didn’t notice the warning look Giles had given her, for she was putting balls of dough onto the cookie sheet.

“I’m sure Willow had a good reason.” Giles offered with a forced smile. “It just isn’t like her.”

“Hey, it’s no big. I’m all here- safe and sound. No harm done.” Until dad finds out what I’ve been up to She thought ruefully. Two seconds later, she heard the front door open. Oh god! He’s here.

Spike rushed into the kitchen. When Dawn finally set eyes on him, she wasn’t scared for the moment, she was terribly worried. She had never seen him look like that before. His eyes were all red and blotched, and his face was tear streaked. He was shaking a little.

Boy, he looks like hell. Anya thought as she gave Spike a bright smile and a little wave.

I haven’t seen him look this bad since Drusilla. Giles thought as he said hello. Spike paid them no heed. He couldn’t stop looking at Dawn. She really is okay. Thank you, God. He thought, ever grateful.

“Daddy?” He walked up to her and dropped to his knees, grabbing her in a tight embrace.

“Oh, thank god you’re alright.” He said into her hair.

“Um, dad? Did you throw up or something?”

“Oh, right. Sorry.” He said. He gave her a kiss on the forehead anyway before heading to the bathroom to gurgle some much needed Listerine.

“Well, he seemed to be in great shape.” Anya said with false enthusiasm.

“I’m just gonna, um, go get my stuff.” Dawn said, walking into the living room.

“More cookies for us, huh?” Anya said, lifting her hand to Giles expecting a high five.

“Oh, yes.” Giles said belatedly, smacking her hand.

“Ow!”

“Sorry dear.”

Spike came down the stairs, fresh breath and all. He gave a little smile to Dawn, seeing that she was ready.

“Sorry bout that whole mess, Nibblet. It won’t happen again.” She gave him a lopsided grin.

“It’s okay. I’m okay.”

“So, how’d you get here? One of your mates’ parents or something?” And there it was. Dawn could either stall by lying, or just tell him the truth. In Giles’ house, where potentially Giles or Anya might be on her side for getting into Drusilla’s car. Or not. But it was worth a shot, wasn’t it?

“Funny you should ask, actually. Um-" The ringing of Spike’s cell went off at that moment.

“Excuse me pet. Hello? Angel? Oh, sorry for the scare. Yea, she’s alright. At my father’s house. Yea. Someone dropped her off. Sorry I worried you. S’alright? Okay. Talk to ya then. Bye. So, what were you saying Bit?” He looked at her expectantly. Dawn bit her lower lip and looked down. Here goes.

“Drusilla brought me.” Spike squinted really hard at her. No, she hadn’t said…No.

“What?” Lifting her head and looking up at ceiling, she said it again, but louder.

“Who?” He asked. His heart beat sped up and he just knew that his blood pressure was rising. Taking a deep sigh, she looked at him with fearful eyes. He swallowed hard.

“I was waiting for Willow on the playground. She never came. When I realized that she wasn’t coming, I tried to go back into the school, but everyone had left. I was sitting on the steps, and then she came. I knew it was her. She had a car, and well…”

“You mean to tell me you willingly got into a complete stranger’s vehicle?” Spike said in his low, scary voice. It was a thousand times worse than his loud, yelling voice. It was much more frightening.

“Daddy, I knew who she was- I mean, I recognized her. She was nice, and-"

“Nice? Nice!” He started to laugh one of those angry, hate filled laughs that sort of sounded like a chuckle. Dawn tried not to cry. She was angry too that he was acting this way.

“Dawn, I told you what she did. To you. To me. For crissakes! How could you do that?”

“Do what? Wanting to know who she is? If it wasn’t for her, I’d probably still be waiting on the steps.” Dawn said in her own, angry low voice. Like father, like daughter.

“She could have kidnapped you, or god knows what!” Spike yelled, losing it. Giles and Anya came into the room, both with very concerned expressions on their faces.

“Spike. Dawn. What’s going on?” Giles said, trying to assess the situation.

“Yea, what’d we miss?” Anya asked, looking at the two anxiously. Spike looked straight at his father, with dull, sad, weary eyes.

“Drusilla.”