Chapter 2

“You have got to be kidding me.” Cordelia stated after seeing the new family that would be moving into their house.

They were meeting for the first time a few days later, all shocked by how different the other family was.

“They’re a bunch of freaks,” she continued.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I’m sure they’re thinking the same thing about us.”


* * * * *


“This is a bloody nightmare,” Spike commented.

Faith had to agree with that. “We’re living with the Partridge family.”

Giles ushered them all closer to the Summers clan and graced Joyce with a smile.

She smiled in return, then started the introductions.

Giles took over once she was finished.

They were met by complete silence from all of their children.

Joyce tried to make things less awkward. “Well, why don’t you all get situated inside? It’s great to meet all of you after hearing so much about you from your father.” She was met with nods and figured that was good enough.

They then entered the house and looked around. They had to admit that it was a whole lot bigger than their house in Los Angeles.

“Wow, this place is awesome!” Connor claimed as he continued to look around. He was the second to the youngest at only fourteen-years-old, and he didn’t mind about the move.

Dawn smiled at him. She liked that there was someone else around that was close to her age. He was only a year older than she was. “Come on, I’ll show you the rest.” She took his hand and pulled him upstairs, without bothering to wait for a response.

Joyce was relieved that the two youngest children seemed to get along already.

“You do have a really nice house.”

Joyce smiled at the dark haired girl that spoke. She had a whole Goth image going on, but Joyce could tell that she was a very sweet person. “Thank you, Drusilla. I appreciate that.”

Spike moved closer to his sister. “Suck up,” he whispered in her ear.

Drusilla glared at him. “It wouldn’t kill you to be nice.”

He scoffed at that idea, but didn’t say anything about it.

The rest of the kids went to get situated into their new rooms.

Joyce and Giles sat down on the couch, both exhausted by the day’s events.

“Do you really believe this will work out?” she wondered.

Giles smiled and gave her hand a comforting squeeze. “They may be very different, but I’m sure they will get along in no time.”

Both adults suddenly heard a scream come from upstairs.

Cordelia then came bounding down the stairs like the devil himself was after her. “Mom, they brought vermin!”

Joyce didn’t know what she was talking about, until Faith came downstairs with what seemed to be a pet rat.

“Calm down, Barbie. It’s just Amy, she’s harmless.”

“This is ridiculous. First we have to share a house with these freaks and now we have to share with their creatures, too? That thing looks diseased.”

Spike tried not to laugh at the cheerleader after he witnessed her outburst. He could tell that she was the type that would cry about breaking a nail. The whole bloody lot of them was probably just as bad.

“Cordelia, that’s very disrespectful.” Joyce responded, embarrassed by her daughter’s actions. “As long as she has a cage to stay in, I don’t see the problem.”

Cordelia looked like she was about to say something else, but Buffy stopped her when she made her presence known.

“I don’t know what you’re getting so worked up about. She looks cute to me,” she said, taking Amy out of Faith’s hands and stroking her rough fur. “You’re not diseased, are you?” She laughed when Amy tickled her palm in response.

Faith smiled, relieved that at least someone in that family seemed to be normal.

Spike couldn’t take his eyes off of Buffy. It was the first time that he really got a good look at her. She was definitely gorgeous, but he quickly shook that thought away. She was his step-sister now and he refused to like any of them. She was probably a bloody cheerleader like her sister. It didn’t matter that she took a liking to rats.

Faith and Buffy headed back upstairs, with Buffy still holding Amy.

Cordelia scowled at their backs and ran into the kitchen, complaining along the way.

Spike went outside for a cigarette. It was a new habit that he suddenly picked up. He just hoped that his father never found out about it.


* * * * *


Buffy talked to Faith for a bit when she placed Amy back into her cage. She realized that the brunette wasn’t so bad. She needed a breather from the chaos that was going on in the house and decided to go for a walk outside. She left out the back door and took a deep breath, then suddenly coughed. She noticed that it was cigarette smoke and went to see where it was coming from. She saw Spike on the other side of the house and made her way over to him.

“You know, that’s a really bad habit.”

Spike turned to look at her. He shrugged and took another drag of the cigarette. “We’re all gonna die sometime. What business is it of yours, anyway?”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “This is my house, so I’m making it my business.”

He laughed and flicked the cigarette to the ground, firmly stepping on it with his foot. “I’m not even in the bloody house and last time I checked, it was my house, too.”

“Fine, just don’t let my mom catch you.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “Is that supposed to scare me? Let me guess, you were a little princess, right? You always did everything that your mommy and daddy asked of you, never one to make any mistakes. You’re probably one of the popular girls at school. If your sister is anything to go by. I hated those chits at my old school. They always think they’re better than everyone else, looking down on those that are different. Well, they don’t get much different than me, princess. I’m sure we’ll have a good time,” he finished sarcastically.

Buffy glared at him. “You don’t know anything,” she replied, then turned and walked away.

Spike watched her go as a smile lit up his face. Yeah, he would definitely have fun with that one.


* * * * *


Buffy wiped the tears from her eyes when she got back to her room, glad that it was now empty. She sat on her bed and clutched her stuffed pig to her chest. She wouldn’t let anything that Spike said bother her. He didn’t know just how wrong he was, but he was about to find out.