Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks again to Jeanie and Skytteflickan
Chapter 2.


“And so then the Logicars questioned the few remaining Despars more and more. They began to fade away until there was nothing left of them and they disappeared from the face of the Earth.”

English teacher Anne Hayworth put down the piece of handwritten, wrinkled piece of paper. “Very good Buffy. You’re a natural.” Anne glanced at her student and saw her looking up. “What did the rest of you think about it?” She looked out over her class. “What do you think the message of that story is?”


A student sitting in the back raised his hand. “To think with your heart and not your brain?”


Miss Hayworth nodded approvingly. “Buffy. Was Bernard right? Was that what you wanted to express?”


Spike turned his head towards the new girl in English class. She was chubby with blond hair and she always seemed to sit and walk slightly tilted forward. He had never heard her say a word.


Buffy felt like a fish on dry land, her mouth opening and closing without letting out a sound.


She was eventually saved by the bell. Buffy gratefully stood up and gathered her books while casting stolen glances at Bernard. Bernard Lindsey. A tall, brown haired boy that made her heart jump. But he was one of the popular kids, always laughing and joking with his friends. She watched as he left the room, as always hoping he would look back at her.


On her way out of the classroom Buffy was pulled back by Miss Hayworth’s voice. “You’re really talented Buffy. You should send something to a publisher. Take a chance.” Buffy nodded, and again started to make her way out of the classroom, this time just a little bit faster.


Buffy almost jumped in surprise as Bernard was waiting for her outside. His face seemed to cover her entire field of vision when he smiled.


“I heard what Miss Hayworth said. I really like writing as well, maybe we should team up some night, give each other some hints?”


Buffy tried to smile back but everything that came out was a crooked half-smile, making her look like she was making a funny face. She tried to talk but her mouth wouldn’t cooperate.


Bernard looked at her curiously. “So…let me know if you want to team up sometime, all right?”


Buffy nodded and watched Bernard walk away
Don’t even try to smile Buffy, it doesn’t work. Why do you even try? It doesn’t work. Don’t even try, the adolescent’s’ inner voice chastised


Spike watched Buffy as she stood in the hallway, clasping her books to her chest. Buffy Summers. New. Shy. Smart. But no way.



Later that night as the darkness enclosed the even lawns and neatly trimmed flowerbeds of Sunnydale residential areas, Buffy walked through the door to her home.


“How was theatre practice?”

“Boring”

Joyce Summers didn’t look away from the TV to look at her daughter. “You say everything is boring Buffy.”

“Because everything is.”

Finally Joyce turned to face her daughter. “Something must be positive with the new school. Dad says it’s one of the best in the country.”

“That’s because he has to. He is the new head of the school board after all.”

“Well, I hope you find new friends soon. Or a boyfriend maybe.” Joyce’s voice had raised a notch for that last part.

Rolling her eyes to that familiar line Buffy sighed “Yes, because that would be the solution to everything.” She dropped her schoolbag and opened the refrigerator and pulled out a beer, looked back at her mother who was engrossed in whatever was on TV and walked upstairs to her room.



Buffy pulled off her day-clothes and threw them on the floor like a caterpillar changing its skin and left only her bra and panties on. She fell back into her chair; put her feet up on her desk. She pulled the tab and used the other hand to feed her pet lizard. After a few sips she pulled at the covers that hid her radio transmitter from prying eyes, her fingers dancing over the buttons like a piano player, caressing them.


“Buffy?”

“Shit!” In a flash Buffy was on her feet, covering her radio back up again and throwing on a long sweater that reached her mid-thigh. “Just a second, dad” She stood still for a few seconds to get her breathing under control before opening the door.

“Buffy? What are you doing?”

“Nothing, I was just getting ready for bed.”

“You told me yesterday you wanted to borrow my Elvis records. I took them out for you”

“Yeah, great.” Buffy followed her father to his workroom where the large desk was almost invisible under stacks of paper.

He handed her the records, then gave her a serious look. “Your mother asked me to talk to you.”

“Oh no”

“She says you’re not happy here.”

“Dad…”

“I know you had friends back in Chicago and that it must have been tough for you to move here. But it’s time to move on, find new friends.”

“It’s not that easy, dad.”

“The school has excellent programs for new students, specially designed to help them adjust… ”

“Dad. You said that as long as I get good grades, you’ll leave me alone”


Hank rolled his eyes as his daughter slammed the door to her room. He walked down to the kitchen where he met his wife’s critical stare. “What? I tried!”



In her room Buffy repeated her previous actions, except this time she held a folded paper with a stamp saying “Sunnydale High” on it. She had seen on it her dad’s desk and caught a hold of it when he hadn’t been looking. She again placed her legs on her desk, opened a stack of Black Jack’s and popped a coke. The lights from the transmitter lit up the room and filled the void with music. “Very Virgin Mary’s back, and boy does she have a surprise for you.”




End of Chapter 2.