Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the big update lapse. Early Applications are due November 1st, so I've been really busy with college essays and the like. It'll probably remain that way until December... so I really don't know when my next update will be. Thanks for the comments and reviews... they're really appreciated!!!
Music References:

“You are the One” – Shiny Toy Guns

All other music and band mentioned beside what’s referenced above is made up by yours truly.

Chapter Seven

“Well,” Spike finally said after the period of silent staring. “That was dramatic.”

“And traumatic,” Buffy muttered cynically, but she couldn’t help the corner of her lips from curling up slightly into a little hint of a smile. “He has a knack for being emphatically climactic.”

“Right. And is he always so cinematically charismatic?” Spike continued, smiling with her. She laughed at this and nodded.

“That would be him. Ecstatically melodramatic to the nth degree. Not to mention psychosomatic, problematic, and … ” She just shook her head, changing her direction and cutting off her rant. The mood lightened and Buffy nibbled on her bottom lip, trying to find something to say, “So…”

“So…” Spike repeated after her, “He’s an ex, I’m assuming.”

“Yep. The ex to top all exes,” Buffy nodded, forcing the memory cloud back over the horizon until it disappeared. “And to think. I thought he was the one.”

“Like Drusilla?” he asked and Buffy couldn’t answer.

No. Not like Drusilla was what she wanted to say. Nothing like Drusilla. This was real. It was sacrifice, time, heart-ache, heart-break, it was developed. Nothing with Drusilla is ever developed. But one glance at the look on his face shoved the words back down her throat, never to be voiced.

“He’s the reason why back-packing across Europe is not an option anymore,” She said, avoiding his question. And he’s also another reason I turned down the one school I really wanted to go to.

Spike just stared at her, blankly.

“He was the one I was planning to go with,” she explained. “We had it planned out forever. The year right after I graduated, he would study abroad and I would go with him and travel. Could we not talk about this?”

Lorne arrived at their table at the nick of time, out of breath and a little bit flustered. She had never been happier to see him and his array of colorful clothing before.

Hello, Mike Tyson!” Lorne clasped his hands over his chest dramatically, “That quite the arm you’ve got there, ain’t it? Definitely slugged the slug out of that slimy slugball, muffin.”

Spike looked embarrassed and Buffy hid a giggle under her hands. Lorne laughed and tweaked his cheek before turning to Buffy. “Looks like you’ve found a keeper, Sweet-cheeks!”

Buffy met Spike’s eyes and smiled, softly. “Yeah. Looks like I did.”

“Much better than that – Oh! They’re calling me up, I’ll catch up with you lovebirdies later!” Lorne rushed off in the direction of the stage. Buffy’s eyes followed him as he bounded across the dance floor and up the steps, her mind somewhere else.

I’m having a moment, she realized mildly, eyes locked on Lorne’s yellow suited retreating back, yet not really seeing anything. She was having one of those slow, revolutionary moments that make the world go around a little bit slower and carefully clears up the fog called life. The smile that was slowly creeping onto her face grew into a full fledged grin when she realized that yeah, she could move on.

Angel was a first. An entire book of firsts. Maybe that was why it was hard to get over him. But realizing that here she was in a place she never would have dreamed of being in with a guy she never would have dreamed of being with… it was a stepping stone and she was finally ready to step off of that morbid, disgusting mess of a ground floor that she had been wandering in for the past few months.

“Buffy?” She felt a hand on her arm, yanking her away from her thoughts. Spike was giving her a curious look.

Before she could answer, Lorne’s smooth, languid voice filled the entire club, stalling even the dancers on the floor.

“Now do I have the treat for you, beauties and beasties!” The crowd started cheering before he could go on and he shook his finger at them, playfully, “So it seems that my special surprise is more special than it is surprise, but you guys don’t look – or sound – like you mind so much…”

NO!!” The dancers and diners shouted simultaneously. People were jumping up and down, building excitement, of course they didn’t mind! Was he crazy??.

“So if you’re ready to be blown out of your pants - and I do mean that literally! – let’s show our next guests how New Yorkers do the proper welcome! Let’s hear it for Power’s in the Pistol!!”

His last words were drowned out as the crowd in the club went wild, whistling, cheering, screaming, as the four members of the band rushed in from backstage, instruments and mallets in hands, pumping their fists up as they welcomed the audience welcoming them.

Buffy found herself jumping out of her chair and cheering in sync with everybody else. The sound was thunderous. Intoxicating. As the band started up with a hardcore rock song, everybody was jumping up and down as one.

It was the power of the music in the hands of the Power’s in the Pistol.


………………
………………
………………

She was going wild and he loved it. Her hair was falling out of the loose band keeping it together and her hands were in the air and she was jumping and crying out and her face seemed flushed under the blue overhead lights of the club. And he loved it.

It was another ocean that separated her from Drusilla. Drusilla never jumped. She never cheered, never laughed like her life depended on it, never lost herself in the music, never let herself go, … never let her hair get messed up.

He stood and got close to her, close enough for her to sense him and lean against him as she moved to the beat.

Keep laughing like you’re reeling me in,
Dancing with me like second skin,
You know that we become one, when
The drumming sounds a lot like sin,
Yeah…


Spike pulled her close by the hips and bent down to nuzzle the side of her neck as she stretched her head back against his shoulder. Her back was rubbing against his chest and she put her hands on his arms as he latched himself to the belt-loops of her jeans.

He wanted to kiss her, but he stopped himself. Her eyes were closed and she was lost somewhere in her own world, leaning onto him for support. It was a feeling he knew well. The music made it so easy.

They stayed like that for the rest of the first song. Her lost and him holding her. How was it possible that it was so natural? Spike wanted to stop thinking about it, but he couldn’t. How was it possible that he couldn’t stop thinking? What was she doing to him?

The lead singer grabbed the microphone and blew in it softly after the song was over. “The next set is something a little bit different,” he nearly made half the females swoon as his soft voice was amplified through the club.

“How does he do that?” Spike heard himself asking. Buffy opened her eyes.

“Do what?”

“Get attention like that. All he has to do is whisper.”

“And make me want to jump him?”

“Hey!” Spike let go of her and she laughed, pulling him back and putting her arms around him under his jacket.

“Just kidding,” she gave him a little squeeze, “I like drummers better.”

“Right. Like that J.J. bloke back there on the stage? What were you saying about him earlier, pet? Secret crush, was it?” Spike smiled through his mild jealousy.

“Like him. And that other drummer guy. Goes by Spike, maybe you’ve heard of him?” She gave him a dazzling smile and he felt himself relaxing again. Buffy reached up and traced the hollow of his cheek. “You’re cute when you’re jealous.”

“Oi! I’m not…” Spike couldn’t continue when she was raising an eyebrow at him like that. “… cute.”

“Mmm, okay,” Buffy shrugged and buried her head against his chest. “Smell nice,” she murmured and closed her eyes.

The band had picked up on another song. A ballad. A ballad cover of a familiar song. What was it? He couldn’t remember the name, so he just wrapped his arms around her as they slow-danced in a close embrace.

You are the one
you'll never be alone again
your more then in my head - your more



………………
………………
………………

The lead singer, A.J., was right, Buffy smiled as she inhaled Spike’s scent, the next set was different. Who ever thought of turning electronica to a rock ballad?, she thought as she recognized the Shiny Toy Guns lyrics.

You are the one
you'll never be alone again
your more then in my head - your more


Spike was rubbing circles along her back and she realized that she had never danced like this with Angel. Angel was purely a grind down, cop-a-feel type of guy.

The intimacy of the moment made her shiver and before she could think, Spike was removing his jacket and wrapping it around her shoulders.

How come he was so perfect? She pulled away for a moment to look at his blue, blue eyes. So blue and dark, like the ocean after sunset. Buffy saw herself reflected in them and she did the only thing she could in a moment like this.

She put both hands lightly on his cheeks, tiptoed up slightly, and kissed him.

………………
………………
………………

He was surprised when she pulled away and even more surprised when she tenderly touched his face and kissed him sweetly on the lips. His eyes closed and he allowed himself to enjoy the feeling of her lips against his.

It occurred to him that this was the first time they had kissed since the first time after he asked her to be his five-minute girlfriend. And it also occurred to him that it wasn’t because he asked her to or because he was desperate or because they were trying to get away from somebody. It was completely out of the blue and for some unexplainable reason, that made it all the more better.

Buffy pulled away after a few long moments to catch her breath. Her eyes were still closed, her forehead was pressed to his, and he could feel her gentle, warm breath against his mouth.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and smiled up at him. What was she thinking? he wondered.

Wordlessly, she took his hand and pulled him away from the crowd of slow-dancing couples that had formed around them.

Spike raised an eyebrow and smirked slightly, not bothering to ask her what she was doing. He just followed her blindly as she lead him off to a dark corner.

Her sweaty hand was gripping his tightly as she pushed through the heavy door with a neon bathroom sign on it. As soon as they were in, she pushed him back against the door, making it slam with a satisfying thud, and attacked him with her lips.

God, she’s so… his blood was coursing through his body at marathon rate and he could hear the pounding of his pulse accelerating as she teased apart his lips with hers and ran her hot tongue against his. He vaguely registered reaching backwards and locking the door behind him as she left hot, open-mouthed kisses along his jaw and down his neck and reached for his belt buckle.

Buffy… Buffy, Buffy, Buffy… His mind silently raced ahead to what they were about to do as she popped the top button of his jeans and slid her hands up his stomach and his chest, bringing his shirt along for the ride.