Buffy put the finishing touches on her make-up with time to spare. She was dressed in knee-length flowing skirt and a pink tube top which showed off her flat, toned stomach. Times like these made her thankful she was athletic.

She’d spent the day unpacking the rest of her stuff and familiarizing herself with the apartment. She’d quickly realized the Twinlets were not stereotypical bachelors; the refrigerator was fully stocked, and the house had a warm and inviting feel to it, as opposed to the Spartan environments she was used to (read: Riley’s place, where she’d never felt truly at home). And the Twins were wonderful, leaving a pot of coffee and some croissants on the table for her when she dragged herself out of bed at twelve. Hey, classes hadn’t started yet, she was totally with the vegging.

Yeah, she had it good.

She let out a contented sigh, running the comb through her straight blonde hair. Life was really great right now. Business was still steady, Faith and Robin were settling nicely into cohabitation, and she was about to start her last semester! She’d have a degree in business communication in...five months? Then she could really devote her time to their dojo and weapons shop. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she failed to hear the entrance of her new roomies until Spike stuck his head in the door.

“Going somewhere, luv?” the seductive British voice purred. Cor, she was beautiful. Her blonde hair fell in waves down her back, and he ached to run his hands through it. Her tight pants and that sexy little top just accentuated her womanly curves. The pink was beautiful against her golden skin, like a Goddess...Spike mentally cringed as his thoughts took a distinctly poetic turn. So not going there.

“Huh? Oh! Spike! Hey! Yeah, Riley’s taking me on a “I’m sorry I was a jackass” date,” she said with a small smile. Spike immediately perked up. Trouble in Paradise!

“Do tell.”

“Oh, no, it’s not as bad as it sounds. He’s actually apologizing ‘cause he had something to do yesterday and couldn’t help me move in.” Spike felt himself deflate a little at that. Stupid buggering ponce did not deserve her. No one deserved her, not even him and Will...except they’d be the ones that did the best by her, that was for damned sure!

“Ah. Well, do you have a few minutes before? We want to ask you something.” Buffy looked up, intrigued.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Oh no. You’re not getting that out of me just yet! Will’d kill me! Follow me, my lady,” Spike said with a gallant sweep of his arm and a low bow. Buffy giggled, proceeding him into the kitchen where Will sat, his tie loose and a manuscript spread in front of him. He looked up, and Buffy felt her heart skip when he smiled at her, the skin around his crystal blue eyes crinkling.

“’lo, pet,” he murmured, “have a nice day?” Buffy simply nodded enthusiastically, not trusting herself to speak. She was suddenly VERY aware that Spike was just inches behind her, the heat of his body surrounding her.

“Find everything OK?” Spike’s voice was deep and rumbley, sending strange sparks flowing across her skin.

“Y-yeah. Thanks for the coffee and croissants. That was a great prezzie!”

“My idea,” Spike said proudly. He looked so cute with his boyish grin, so proud of himself. Buffy fought down the urge to pull him into her and--

“Yeah, yeah. ANYWAYS,” Will cut through Buff’s bordering-on-naughty thoughts, “on the way over, Spike and I thought it might be nice if we threw a house warming party.”

“You know, you meet our friends, we meet yours, have a little bit of drama and become one big happy family?” Spike finished. The entire room brightened with Buffy’s delighted smile.

“That is such a great idea! We can have hot dogs and hamburgers and daiquiris and beer, with some music and maybe a few of those funny ‘look like a fool while you bond’ games! Oh, I can’t wait for you to meet everyone! This is such an amazingly good idea!” she squealed, rushing to give Will a huge bear hug. He reveled in her closeness, fighting back a sigh when it was over far too quickly. Spike was the next to receive her attentions, sharing a look with his brother over the top of Buffy’s. She was riding high, prancing around the kitchen and making party plans like there was no tomorrow. The twins just watched her in amusement, content to let her throw her party. They were in the awkward stage where the apartment was still mostly their home, but they wanted Buffy to feel completely comfortable.

“This Saturday? Can we do it this Saturday? Is that enough time to get it together? Or should we wait? What about Sunday! That’s a whole extra day, and really, no one does anything on Sundays--“

“Pet!” Will cut her off with a laugh, “I think Saturday will be fine!” Buffy stopped and blushed a pretty red.

Wonder if she blushed all the way down, Spike thought, cocking his head to the side and contemplating a naked, blushing Buffy. Ah, but such things were better left alone...for the moment.

“Sorry, I was babbling, I know. I do that sometimes, when I get excited or, uh--“ Buffy’s confession was interrupted by the ringing of her cell phone.

“Oops, that’s Riley! Gotta run!” Both Will and Spike struggled to hide their distaste at the name. “But I will totally you see you later! We have party planning to do!” They walked her to the door, her excitement palpable on the air.

“The bloody git summons her with a TEXT MESSAGE?” Spike growled, his jealousy and hatred of the stupid dumbfuck dating Buffy--who he hadn’t even seen a picture of, much less met--grating on him. “He didn’t even have the decency to come to the door!” Will wasn’t as open as Spike with it, but he felt the same way.

******** ********* *************** ******* ********

“Hey Babe,” Riley said as Buffy slid into his car. He went to kiss her, but she was babbling excitedly about some house warming thing her roommates wanted to throw. He tried several more times, Buffy absently avoiding him, until he was almost completely in her seat, Buffy pressed up against the window.

“Uh, Riley? What are you doing?” Buffy asked, looking at him like he had three heads. Riley pinched his face in irritation, sitting back in his seat with a disgusted sigh.

“I was trying to kiss my girlfriend, who was too busy talking to notice,” he said irritably. Buffy felt a strange mixture of guilt and annoyance wash over her.

“Sorry,” she said meekly, leaning over to kiss him.

“Forget about it,” Riley muttered, jerking the car into reverse. He pulled out of the parking lot, his shoulders bunched in irritation. Buffy crossed her arms and stared out the window, her good mood effectively shattered. Riley pulled onto the interstate, the tension thick between them.

“I’m sorry,” Riley gruffly forced out. “I didn’t mean to snap, I just haven’t seen you in a few days. I mean, REALLY seen you, and...I’m sorry.” Buffy continued looking out the window, still annoyed despite the apology. She sighed, realizing that the night would turn into a complete disaster if she didn’t give a little.

“It’s fine. I’m sorry I was ignoring you, I’m just really excited about everyone meeting my roommates. They’re going to be a big part of my life in the future, you know? I just want everyone to get along.” Riley fought down the flash of annoyance and jealousy that the mention of those MEN she was living with brought on. Buffy was his girl friend; if she was living with any guy, it should be him. It just wasn’t right otherwise. But he could still convince her. If these people were so great, he was sure they’d let her out of the lease before the year was up.

“I get it, babe,” he said, reaching over to put his hand on her thigh. “I’m just stressed. Work and all. But how about we just get to the restaurant, and you can tell me all about this party and your new digs?”

“That sounds great,” Buffy said with a smile.

***************** ******************* ********************

Dinner went surprisingly well. Riley was attentive and engaging, almost like when they had first started dating. He even walked Buffy to her door, something he hadn’t done in...forever. She stopped at her lighted stoop, smiling at her newly restored mood and the prospect of getting in some quality planning time with her Twinlets.

“This was an amazing date, Riley,” she said sincerely. “Really, I had a great time.” She leaned in and gave Riley a slow kiss goodbye, feeling almost like they were on their first date. She pulled away, content with everything in her life, and rummaged through her purse to find her keys. She pulled them out with a triumphant smile, and fell into Riley when he pulled her forcefully to him, his insistent lips on her own surprised ones. She was too astonished for a moment, until she felt him pulling her hips to his burgeoning erection, one hand trying to slip underneath the knee-length skirt she wore.

“Riley!” she cried against his lips. She pushed against his chest, trying to get him off her. The middle of the hall was not where they should be doing this! But he wouldn’t let go. She tried again, and finally resorted to her martial arts training, pinching a nerve near his elbow. He pushed away from her with a cry of pain.

“What the fuck Buffy?”

“Riley! What were you doing?” He looked at her with dumb amazement.

“What was I...I was kissing my girl friend, Buffy! We went out, had a good time, I thought we were gonna...you know”-- He made a vague motion with his hands --“make it a GREAT night.”

“Riley. It’s my first night in the apartment. Not only do I NOT want to, ah, cause a scene in the hallway, I don’t want to have anyone over until I’ve had a chance to get into a rhythm with Will and Spike. You know, feel them out, really become a part of the apartment?” Buffy was struggling to get her feelings across to Riley. She just didn’t feel right bringing Riley into her space yet. She hadn’t yet made it hers-hers, and she needed a little more understanding with her other roommates before Riley spent the night. She knew they wouldn’t say anything about it, but still...it was one of those unspoken things you did when you lived with other people. But Buffy could see Riley didn’t understand.

“I thought we were having a good time, Buff,” he said sulkily. He looked like a petulant child when he did that.

“We did! We are! Riley, just because I don’t want to have sex with you doesn’t mean I’m having a bad time,” Buffy said with a sigh. Why did there have to be something wrong when she didn’t want to have sex? Not even men wanted sex all the time, not even Riley.

“Yeah, yeah, OK,” Riley said, annoyance lacing his words. “Have a great night, Buffy.” He gave her a peck on the cheek and was gone before Buffy could say anything else. If Buffy wasn’t in the mood, well...he didn’t really need her.

******** ********* *************** ******* ********

Will and Spike heard the jangle of Buffy’s keys in the door and the sound of two voices in the hall...one of them definitely male.

“I swear if she brings that lug in here I’ll--“

“Do nothing,” Will interrupted. While he’d love nothing more than to help his brother grill Riley, they had to keep in mind that Buffy was nothing more than their roommate. “Maybe he’s a good person, good for Buffy. We haven’t even met him.” Sometimes Will really hated being the rational one...but Lord help the world when HE lost control.

“Good people do not text their girl to pick her up for a date,” Spike growled sulkily, his attention riveted to the small hall that hid the door. They heard the handle turn, and both tensed to see who would walk through, twin sighs of relief escaping as Buffy walked in--alone. Alone and definitely not happy.

“Beer?” Spike asked casually, extending an unopened Heineken to his newest roommate. He tossed an impish smile her way, and his blue eyes were filled with tacit understanding. Buffy felt relieved and a little shy. She knew they could feel the tension in her, could read her like a book. The look Spike was giving her spoke volumes. And she was grateful that they wouldn’t make her talk about it, as well as for the much-needed beer. She snagged the proffered treat and was immediately pulled down to the couch, seated between the twins.

Will gave her a brief smile before his eyes flitted back to the manuscript he was reading, red marks and comment littering the page before her. Spike was absorbed in the program that was currently showing on the TV.

Passions?” Buffy asked incredulously.

“Best bloody show on the telly, pet,” Spike said without a hint of shame or embarrassment.

“You’re serious?” she asked, fixing him with a dubious look.

“Spike never jokes about Passions,” Will piped up, his attention still firmly fixed on the pages before him.

“Yeah, well, this is serious stuff!” Spike protested, tongue in cheek. Buffy looked from the soap opera to Spike and back again, trying to reconcile this British punk-looking VP publishing exec with...Passions. And strangely, it fit.

“Well, clue me in, bleach boy!” she instructed, settling into the comfortable couch, Spike’s voice washing over her. Maybe this night could be rescued, after all.

“Well, you see, there’s this right witchy bird named Tabitha...”


A/N: For those of you who might doubt the Riley-Buffy interactions...it's totally happened to me before. And it really does happen. I just sadly had no Twinlets waiting to sweep me off my feet in the end....