Author's Chapter Notes:
Don't hate the writer, hate the characters!
“Will! Hey, git! Where’s my blue shirt?” Spike hollered, tearing through his drawer for a second time. The shirt was not where it was supposed to be. In desperation, he upended the drawer, which still didn’t have the blue shirt he wanted.

“You mean MY blue tee?” a slightly annoyed voice mumbled through a toothbrush. Spike whirled around to see his twin in the very shirt he’d been searching for. And it definitely wasn’t Will’s!

“Oi! That’s my shirt you git!”

“It is not! Da gave this to me last Christmas.”

“You stupid ponce! He gave you the green shirt!” Spike grabbed said shirt out of the messy pile he’d made, chucking at his stupid, unhelpful brother. “The blue one was mine!”

“Bugger that! This isn’t revisionist history JAMES,” Will snarled, tossing the green thing at his brother’s stupidly annoying face.

Spike froze and slowly took a measured step towards his dense, irritating, hard headed *fuck* of a brother. How dare he--

“HELP!” Two blonde heads whipped towards the distraught woman who dashed through their door. They forgot their tiff, concentrating on the distressed woman in front of them.

“Buffy?”

“What’s wrong?”

Her eyes were wide and panicked, and she was struggling to catch her breath. The twins felt a sense of foreboding pass over them. They converged on her, worry shining in their expressive eyes. Buffy felt a little overwhelmed for a moment, her brain short circuiting. So pretty...

“Buffy?” Spike asked. Was she hurt? Was she having an asthma attack? Did she have asthma? Maybe she was allergic! That would be bad. Or maybe she’d been bitten by something poisonous? Oh, no. Had she tried to--God forbid--cook something again?

“Buffy, luv, what’s wrong?” Will asked, frantically searching her for some sort of wound. Buffy shook herself out of her stupor. Right. Huge problem she needed help with.

“Which earrings should I wear?” she gasped, raising the dangly baubles so they could see them both. Each twin started at a different earring in dumbfounded amazement.

“Earrings?” Spike uttered in total disbelief.

“Bloody EARRINGS?” Will echoed, turning his incredulous gaze towards his irksome female roommate. Buffy blinked owlishly. Why were they looking at her like that?

“You come running in here, screeching like the soddin’ world is going to end...”

“For accessory advice?” Will finished. Buffy wrinkled her nose in the way both Twinlets found absolutely adorably endearing.

“Choosing the wrong pair of earrings? Totally Apocalypse worthy! And did you just say ‘accessory advice?’ “

Spike snickered at that, leering at his brother and rocking back on his heels. Cocky bastard.

“I’m very involved in the literary world. That includes magazines of all kinds,” Will said snidely.

“Uh huh,” Buffy muttered, stifling a laugh. Men could be so easy sometimes. Will growled in irritation. Just because he read a few of those magazines FOR WORK did not...wait. Why was he getting defensive? HE was not the one who had run in all breathless and damsely-in-distressish and scared the living daylights out of everyone. But he was the one thinking damsely and...like Buffy. The editor in him shuddered and rebelled. It was time to get Ms. Summers gone.

“Out!” he commanded, pushing Buffy towards the door.

“Wait!”

“No. Out! Need to finish dressing, they’ll be here”--the doorbell rang--“now.” With that, Will slammed the door shut.

“Which ones!” Buffy wailed mournfully at the closed door.

“The long silver ones!” one of the them hollered back before she heard a strange thump against the door. Buffy rolled her eyes and made her way to the door. The bell sounded again.

“I’m coming!” she yelled. Stupid boys. She should have invited Willow over; some good girl time would have calmed her down. Buffy opened the door...to a surprising attractive black man. He looked a bit startled to see her opening the door.

“Gunn?”

“Buffy?” What was...a small, blonde firecracker who could keep her own sparring with two very talented twins...

“YOU’RE the new roomie?”

“YOU know the twinlets?” They spoke at the same time. They laughed, Buffy ushering the policeman in.

“Wow. Small world,” Buffy commented. Who’d have thought Xander’s random classified-found roommate knew her very own classified-found Twins?

“Yeah, long time no see. Where are the punks?”

“Oh, they’re still getting dressed. I think I interrupted a fight about...something.”

“Yeah, they do that from time to time. They’re pretty...physical,” Gunn hedged, trying to feel out just what Buffy knew about her new roommates.

“You’re telling me,” Buffy groaned. Some of her muscles still twinged from that dual workout she’d gotten the other day. She caught the look Gunn was throwing her and blushed. “We sparred the other day. They’re pretty good. Actually, they’re very good. And...physical.”

“Yeah,” Gunn said noncommittally, hiding his smile. He knew just how enamored his friends were with the blonde, and he was quite sure they’d taken every opportunity to get as close to her as possible.

“Gunn!” Will and Spike came barreling into the main room and started pounding their friend on the back. They seemed to have settled whatever had been bothering them. Will was wearing a shirt that matched his blue eyes; Spike was wearing a dark green one that set his off beautifully. “I see you’ve already met Buffy.”

“Actually, we know each other,” Buffy said, flashing a smile at her friend’s roommate. Will fought down the flash of jealousy at the different ways Gunn could know Buffy. And none of them made him very happy.

“Yeah, my roommate’s Buffy’s friend.”

“Remember Xander? He helped me move in.”

“Oh, right, the Whelp,” Will said with a bit of relief. Wouldn’t do to have Gunn going after their gir--roommate. Divided loyalties never worked out well. Tell yourself another one, mate, a voice in his head insisted.

The doorbell rang again, and Buffy rushed over to answer it.

“Hello, is this sex-a-holics anonymous?”

“Lorne!” Buffy squealed excitedly. “Oh, you brought me prezzies!”

“Oh no you don’t. This is for the fine specimen of male perfection you live with and who are you?” Lorne sashayed to the beautiful black man who was currently making a splendid trifecta of manly yummyness with Buffy’s Twinlets.

“Gunn,” the man said with a little laugh, extending his hand.

“Lorne.” The boy wasn’t the least bit queer, but eye candy was still eye candy. And he seemed to be taking it rather well.

“Hey B. You know you shouldn’t leave your door open. Invites trouble.” Faith sauntered in, followed by Robin and Willow. Introductions were made all around; Willow had met Gunn on numerous occasions, but this was a first for Faith, Robin and Lorne. Gunn took an instant liking to them all. They were good people, and as a cop, he was one to judge. It struck him a bit odd that Xander hadn’t ever really talked about this obviously close knit group. Only Buffy and Willow. Buffy smiled, thrilled that everything seemed to be going so well.

“Buffy!” she turned to see Spike ushering a woman towards her. A part of her was instantly on jealous alert. “This is Tara. She’s...bloody amazing.” The shy young woman ducked her head, her hair forming a curtain of protection over her face. Despite the jealousy she wasn’t feeling, something about the woman made Buffy want to befriend her. She just had an aura of goodness about her.

“I’m Buffy. How do you know my twinlets?”

“Th-they knew my e-e-ex,” she stuttered.

“Know might be the wrong word,” Spike said darkly.

“Loath would definitely be more accurate,” Will added with a scowl.

“Hey!” Tara protested.

“Pet, Jasmine was bloody insane. She was barmier than Dru!”

“And that’s saying a lot,” Will said wryly. Buffy didn’t miss the look that passed between her roommates. Ooooh, interesting history alert! She’d need to get to the bottom of that…later.

“So you’re...gay?” Buffy ventured. Tara glanced at her with a defiance that surprised Buffy.

“I am.” There was no stutter, just simple fact. Buffy decided that she really liked the Twinlet’s friend.

“Have you met my friend Willow? You two might hit it off...”

************ ************ **** ************ ************

Buffy needed a breather. She wedged herself in one corner, surveying the surroundings. Faith and Robin were deep in conversation with Gunn. Willow and Tara had been pretty inseparable since they’d been introduced. Buffy smiled at the picture they made, both of them sitting close talking animatedly. It was adorable.

Xander had shown up and was talking to an Irishman named...Dan? No. It was something like Doilie. Doyle! That was it...and a very nice man with some sort of skin condition named Clem. Meanwhile, Doyle’s pregnant wife Cordelia Was entertaining Spike and Lorne. Cordelia had a snobbish persona, but Buffy was sure when you got past it she was peachy with an extra side of keen. Sure. She looked around the room again, but Spike was no where to be found.

“Didn’t figure you for the wall flower type, pet.” There he was.

“Oh, you know, just needed a breather,” Buffy said, trying to sound chipper.

“Pet.” She turned as found herself entranced by understanding blue eyes. She stepped into him, accepting his arms around her with a sigh.

“He said he’d come,” she whispered.

“There’s still time,” Spike murmured, silently cursing the bastard that called himself Buffy’s boyfriend. Buffy had been living with them for over almost two weeks, been getting to know them for longer than that, and he’d had yet to set eyes on the bloke. Not that he’d exactly been trying...

“Buffy? What are you doing?” Speak of the devil. Buffy jerked out of Spike’s embrace, her startled green eyes meeting Riley’s angry brown ones.

“Riley! You...You came!” She joyously flung himself into her boyfriend’s arms. “I thought you weren’t going to show! I’m so happy you’re here!” Buffy was oblivious to the silent clash of wills happening around her. Spike was leveling a cool, assessing gaze at the hulking brute, and Riley was giving off clear “No Trespassing” vibes.

“This is Spike. Spike, this is Riley.” Spike nodded to the man, before excusing him to find a beer.

“Buffy, why were you hugging him?” Riley demanded, steeping away from her now that the threat had left.

“Huh?”

“You were all over him when I got here.”

“I was upset. I thought you weren’t going to come, Spike was just comf--“

“Men don’t comfort women, Buffy. Not without wanting some comfort in return.”

“Riley, that wasn’t it at all. I really was upset. But you’re here now, and--“

“It’s wrong, Buffy. You shouldn’t let them touch you.” Buffy pressed a hand against her forehead, asking the Powers for some patience.

“Riley. Nothing happened.”

“But--“

“No buts, Riley. And if you don’t trust me, then maybe we shouldn’t be together.” With that, Buffy spun on her heel and joined the throng of people in her living room.


A/N: Whoever nominated Twinlets over at the Forbidden Awards seriously made my day. Thanks so much!!