Chapter Ten: Over

“The Monday after Halloween, we’ll be starting our unit on self defense.” Mr. Hong, the gym teacher announced to a gym of thirty students. “With this quarter nearing it’s end, I suggest that you makeup the classes you’ve missed, or it will effect your grade.”

“But, that would, like, take up all my lunch and study hall periods.” Harmony Kendall wailed from her seat in the stands.

“Well, I’m sorry, Ms. Kendall, but missing class for emergency manicures and shopping sprees are not acceptable.” Mr. Hong said to the ditzy blonde, earning snickers from everyone in the stands, except for a pouting Harmony. “Now, enough of the jabbering, I need the guys on the floor for a little game of shirts versus skins. Girls, I suggest you just sit and cheer them on.”

Willow sat beside Buffy, chatting excitedly about the Dingoes’ practice the night before. “So, Veruca was all like, ‘Oz, you gonna introduce me to your groupie?’ and he’s all like, ‘This is my girlfriend, Willow.’ And he kissed me in front of her and she stormed out of the club all mad.”

“And who is this girl?” Buffy questioned, watching Spike as he took of his shirt. She began salivating slightly. Her stomach churned when she spotted Angel joining the team, and stripping off his shirt. She saw Spike glare at the brunette, and could see conflict.

“She’s the lead singer of Shy. They sound great, but she wants Oz and I can’t compare to her.” Willow noted that Buffy seemed to be somewhere else, and followed her stare. She saw the problem that was brewing, Spike and Angel playing on the same team in basketball. They could barely be in the hallway at the same time without having a scowling contest.

They watched the competition, which quickly went from shirts versus skins to Spike versus Angel. The duo was fighting over the ball.

“Pass it to me you ponce!” Spike yelled.

“Not on your life, Captain Peroxide!” Angel yelled back.

“Captain Forehead!”

“Bleached Wonder!” And they were at each other’s throat. Spike threw the first punch, and it was frenzy after.

Buffy rushed off the stands, toward the duo, and fought through a crowd to get to the two boys. “Stop!” She yelled.

Spike’s head swerved to her, and as his attention turned, Angel caught him in the eye with a right hook. “Bloody hell!” Spike retaliated, catching him with an uppercut.

Buffy threw herself in the middle, and at her bravery, an elbow hit her. Everything seemed to freeze once she hit the floor, and Spike was the first one at her side.

“Oh my God, pet, are you okay?” He asked worriedly, taking her arm and helping her to her feet.

“I think you’ve done enough.” Angel said, taking Buffy’s other arm and pulling her toward him. Spike pulled back, and soon, they were having a game of tug a war with Buffy’s body as a rope.

The side of Buffy’s face ached, and her temper was rising. “That’s enough!” She yelled, yanking her arms away from the two, as Mr. Hong finally approached.

“You okay, Ms. Summers?” He asked, and she nodded slowly. “We better get you three to the nurse, and then you two,” he pointed at Spike and Angel, “are going to be visiting Snyder.”

*

The three of them sat in the nurse’s office, Spike with an ice pack on his eye, Angel on his mouth, and Buffy on her cheek. Spike sat beside Buffy on the examination bed, while Angel sat in a chair.

“Buffy, Luv, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to involve you.” Spike apologized, rubbing her back with his freehand.

She leaned comfortably into his hand, enjoying his caress. “I know you didn’t.”

“Buffy, are you okay?” Angel questioned, as he glared at Spike.

“Listen Angel, I don’t know why you’re doing this. I know that you spoke to Parker before our date, and now you’re starting in on Spike. Are you going to do this every time I have a boyfriend?”

“Aha! Boyfriend!” Angel stood, pointing a finger at them.

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Buffy gave Spike a small smile, “but he is my friend.”

Spike smiled appreciatively touched by her words.

“Mr. Giles, Mr. Locke, in my office.” Snyder’s words as always were cold and unfeeling. “Ms. Summers, as soon as you feel up to it, you may head back to class. Make the healing process fast, there’s only five minutes until the bell.”

*

Buffy stood before the mirror in her room, examining the bruise on her face. At the last minute, Snyder decided it would be best to suspend Buffy along with Angel and Spike, for interfering with the fight. Instead of the five the duo got, Buffy was given two. She wanted to strangle them, mostly Angel. She’d let go of their past, of all the pain he put her through. Now, he was jealous of her relationship with Spike. It was as though he didn’t want to see her happy, and that hurt most of all.

“Who the hell does he think he is?” She spoke aloud to herself, but received an answer.

“It took them both to fight, Buffy, and as much as I like Spike, he’s responsible for that too.” Dawn stood at the doorway, her arms across her chest.

Buffy turned to her with a nod. “I know, but things are just really complicated, right now. It’s not about the fight…they weren’t even fighting over me.”

“They were, Buffy. They have no other reason to fight. Angel wants to see you dwell over him, and you’re not doing that anymore. Don’t give him that satisfaction, like you were, and give Spike a chance.” Dawn came into the room, and sat on her sister’s bed.

“When did you become so smart about men? You’re only in the eighth grade.” Buffy sat beside her, smoothed a hand through Dawn’s long straight hair.

“Duh, I do watch TV.” They smiled at each other. “Angel always made you cry, and I didn’t like that. You seem all happy around Spike.”

“It’s not happy, it’s alert. I always have to watch my back and see if he’s going to try kissing me.”

“He already has, and you liked it.”

“Have you been listening to my conversations?” Buffy asked.

“Xander was yelling. He didn’t seem happy at all.” Dawn replied innocently.

“Spike had his share of victims.” Buffy clarified.