Chapter Twenty-Two: Rest



Hip-hop filled the entire house, the bass making Buffy’s body vibrate. There were couples dancing, other’s making out, and Anya and Xander making their way into the guest bedroom.



Buffy felt terrible for leaving Riley, but she couldn’t deny what her heart was saying, she couldn’t just pretend to have a good time because she didn’t want to hurt Riley. She was in love with Spike, and it was killing her.



She spotted a glimpse of bleach hair, and made her way in that direction. There he was, sitting in the expensive couch, Harmony Kendall in his lap, and a beer in his hand. The coffee table before them was littered with over twenty bottles, and Buffy knew he was drunk.



‘He’s doing it to upset me.’ “Spike, we need to talk.” She called out to him over the music.



“Sorry pet, but I’m a little busy at the moment,” he nuzzled Harmony’s neck and she giggled annoyingly. His words were slurred.



“Spike, please.” Buffy pleaded, anger filling her.



“Heard that before.” He lifted his brows suggestively.



“Don’t do this to me.” She couldn’t believe the anguish that was filling her voice, and his eyes softened.



“Spikey doesn’t play with short…people.” Harmony’s attempted at a comeback was a failure, as she put her arms around his neck possessively.



“Listen, ho-“ Buffy was cut off when Angel grabbed her wrist, and dragged her to him. “Let go!”



“Hey!” Spike stood, causing Harmony to fall to the floor.



“Hey!” Harmony yelled.



“I’m not going to allow you to embarrass yourself for that fucker.” Angel said in a low voice, as he dragged her toward the front door.



“Let her go, she’s not yours anymore, Captain Forehead.” Spike was going after them, stumbling a bit.



“I can deal on my own.” Buffy said, trying to pull from Angel’s grip.



“Buffy, is everything okay?” Riley pushed through the crowd, to come face to face with Angel, Spike faltering to join them. Everything seemed to freeze around them, and they were suddenly the center of attention.



“I’m fine, Riley.” She was loose from Angel’s hand, and Spike came up behind her, wagging a finger at the other two.



“She mine…can’t have her you fucking sodding…” Then, he was turning and throwing up.



“Spike!” Buffy turned, and rubbed his back as he let it all out.



“There’s a bathroom for that!” Cordelia shrieked, as she ran to the foursome.



“I’m sorry…he wouldn’t have made it.” Buffy looked at the tall brunette apologetically. The barfing continued, and she began feeling queasy.



“Buffy, let me take you home with him.” Riley offered.



“Fucking idiot. Do you really want to see her with him?” Angel asked angrily.



“It’s better than seeing her with you.” Riley said, and the two began having a staring contest.



“All done now,” Spike stood straight, and leaned on Buffy for support.



“This should help.” Xander came out of nowhere with a glass of water.



“Thanks, Xander.” Buffy gave him a smile, and handed to cup to Spike. “Riley, don’t worry about him, let’s just get Spike home.” She gave Angel a dirty look.



Riley went to Spike’s other side, and helped Buffy get him to the car. The last Buffy heard, was Cordelia’s complaining, and Angel’s brooding, as the closed the door behind them.



*



“That was some party.” Riley said as they pulled up to Spike’s house.



“I can’t thank you enough.” She hugged him tightly.



“Ay, now. Enough of that, pet.” Spike, fumbled with the handle on the door in the backseat, and fell out when he got it open.



“I better get him in bed…not in that way, but you know. He needs sleep.” Buffy babbled.



“Sure you don’t need my help?” Riley asked.



“I can handle him from here. Thank you.” She closed the passenger’s door, and grabbed Spike’s arm as Riley drives away.



“Luv, you’re coming home with me?” Spike asked, as they made their way up his porch. He was no longer fully drunk, but a hang over was nearing. He’d started drinking after leaving Buffy’s and continued only a little at the party.



Buffy noticed that Giles’ car was gone. “Yeah, I’ll stay with you.”



“Forever?” He asked, as Buffy dug into his duster pocket, and found his keys.



“Forever.” She repeated.



“I’m sorry you missed the party.” He was pouting.



“I’ll get over it.” They walked up two flights of stairs, and reached his room.



He collapsed on the bed immediately, and Buffy pulled off his boots and jacket. When she got to his shirt, he took her hand in his.



“I love you.”



“I know, Spike. Rest. I’m going to call my mother, and tell her I’m staying here.” She moved her hand from him, as though getting burned, and stood. Taking her phone from her purse, she hit her house on speed dial. “Mom?”



“Buffy, where are you? It doesn’t sound like there’s a party.” Joyce said worriedly.



“I’m at Giles’ house with Spike. He’s kinda, not doing well right now and I’m going to help him out.”



“Be careful, honey, and be home early.” Joyce said. She trusted Buffy, no need to worry.



“Thanks mom, I will.” Buffy hung up and turned to the bed. Spike was already passed out, his shirt gone, and the blankets covering him. Buffy took off her boots, and climbed into the bed beside him. Nuzzling at his side, she fell into a deep sleep.