Chapter Three: Changes

Buffy sat at the island in the middle of the kitchen Monday morning, eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles with her younger sister, Dawn.

“How can you two eat that? Are you sure you don’t want me to make you eggs or pancakes?” Joyce asked, walking into the kitchen while putting on her earrings.

“Mom, it’s fruity goodness.” Dawn chirped, eating a spoonful.

“It’s all mushy, but it’ll do.” Buffy said pushing the multicolored substance around in her bowl.

“Hurry and finish, so I can drop Dawn off and than you.” Joyce said, put a hand over her youngest daughter’s long brown hair.

“I think I’m going to walk today.” Buffy said, giving her mother a small smile.

“Buffy, are you sure? After Friday-“

Buffy cut her mother off. “Mom, I’m fine. I took care of myself, except for getting lost in the woods, and Spike taking care of me.” She cringed at her own stupidity.

Buffy was healed with the small cuts, but her knees ached. She wore tight blue jeans to cover her legs, a gauzy white sweater with a black tank top underneath, and a pair of black Adidas sneakers. Her hair was up in a high ponytail, small wisps of hair surrounding her face. She felt refreshed from resting Sunday, and was ready to get things in order in case there was any gossip going around school.

“Can you walk okay? Your knees are pretty bad.” Joyce pointed out.

“I’ll be fine. Anya and Xander are coming to pick me up.” The doorbell rang and Buffy jumped up from her seat to answer, but Dawn beat her to it.

“Xander! What’s up?” Dawn asked, almost closing the door in Anya’s face.

“Hey, Dawnster. Where’s Buff?” He asked.

Anya stood beside him with a wide smile on. “Yes, we heard of her unfortunate date, and came to cheer her up.”

“Hey guys.” Buffy gave the couple a quick wave, then turned to her sister. “Dawn, Mom’s leaving, so you better go to the kitchen and finish your breakfast.”

“You’re not my mother,” Dawn crossed her arms over her chest, which was a Buffy stance.

“But I am your sister, your older sister. Now, go finish your breakfast.” Buffy ordered, pointing toward the kitchen.

“Who cares if you’re older, I’m still taller, and I’m still in the junior high.” Dawn spun on her heal and stomped toward the kitchen.

“God, I hate little sisters.” She mumbled, grabbing her backpack and Spike’s sweater from the living room.

“If you would like, I’ll trade you Andrew.” Anya offered excitedly, as they began walking. The sun was shining but the autumn chill was there. It was only two weeks until Halloween.

“No, maybe you can just have them both.” Buffy said with a sigh. She began putting Spike’s sweater in her bag.

“I don’t think my mother would like another offspring. She won’t even have sex with my father anymore. I think it’s because Andrew’s head was so big when he was coming out.” Anya babbled.

“Visual, Ahn.” Xander cringed. “So Buff, what’s with the sweater?” He asked referring to the one she was shoving in her bag.

“Spike lent it to me.” Xander’s eyes bulged out of his head at her reply.

“I’m surprised you got into a car with him. He’s dangerous, Buffy. He used to put my head in the toilet, and throw me against lockers in junior high.” Xander complained.

“He tortured us both, back then. He did it because he liked me, I have no clue why he did it to you.” Buffy scoffed.

“I think it was because Xander was a lot more of a nerd than he is now. I remember when he used to spend time with Jonathan and Warren, talking about Star Wars. That was when I was shallow, and used to spend much time with Cordelia.” Anya explained.

“That was last year.” Buffy pointed out.

“Yes, but now he sits with me during lunch, discusses Star Wars with my little brother, and we have a lot of sex.” Anya smiled at the thought.

“I’m sure Buffy could do without that little tidbit.” Xander said, nudging his girlfriend as she held his arm. “I’m just saying, Buff, you don’t know what Spike’s capable of. He’s a psycho.” He stated.

“Xander, he is not a psycho…he was actually nice to me. It was a little weird.” Buffy shrugged as they approached the school building, and Xander rolled his eyes at her back.

*

Buffy had gotten through three periods okay, without seeing Spike, until she saw Parker standing with him in the hallway. They seemed to be arguing, loudly.

Buffy made her way over to the two to stop them. “Spike, what the hell are you doing?” She questioned sternly as she got between them, and a crowd began forming.

“This bloody idiot has been going around, telling people he shagged you in the bloody car. When we all know he tried to take bloody advantage of you!” Spike shouted, hoping that it would clear the air a bit.

She looked at Parker, his nose bruised from her punch. “Is that true?” She asked.

“No, of course not…I mean, what does it matter?” Parker didn’t want to lie with Spike standing right there, he knew Spike was capable of bringing pain.

“The closest I ever came to your dick, was when I kicked you in the balls. Other than that, I wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole.” She grabbed Spike’s hand, and pulled him toward her locker. The crowd behind her went wild.

“What was that all about?” Spike asked, as Buffy handed him his sweater.

“What?” She questioned, getting out her calculus textbook, and closing her locker.

He casually leaned against her locker, and watched as Parker walked away with his friends, and the crowd scattered. “You defending that pillock.”

“I wasn’t defending, I was keeping you from getting suspended.” She said with a shrug.

He stood straight, and positioned himself in front of her, one arm going over her head, the other toying with a strand of her hair. She was trapped between him and the locker. “Didn’t know you cared so much, pet.” He whispered.

Her heart was pounding in her chest. “I don’t…I-I just don’t want to be involved in any melodrama.”

As though timing wasn’t on her side, out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Angel with Drusilla hanging on his arm. She turned her head to watch them as they neared Spike and her. Spike turned his head to look, as well, then backed away from Buffy.

Drusilla stopped when they came upon the blonde couple. “Well, Spike, I never thought you’d find interest in this little ball of sunshine.” She looked over Buffy with disgust in her eyes.

“Come on, Dru, we have to get you to English.” Angel said, pulling the dark haired Brit away.

Spike just stood there with fire in his eyes, as though he planned on burning the couple with them. Buffy felt tears in her own, and she ran from Spike before they could fall.

“Buffy, wait!” Spike jogged down the hall and grabbed her arm as she emerged into the daylight. “What’s wrong?”

She sniffled softly, and turned to him. Looking up at him caused those tears to fall. “He didn’t even look at me.”

“Buffy, Luv,” he reached out and wiped the tears on her face, “he’s unworthy of your tears.” He was gentle as he took her into a hug and held her close.

For a second Buffy allowed his hands to travel up and down her back, soothe her with his sweater in his hand, but then she realized what was happening. The one man who made her teenage existence nearly impossible was trying to comfort her. She pushed hard against his chest, and he fell to the floor.

“Bloody hell, what’s your fucking problem, Buffy?” he asked, standing and rubbing his bottom.

“I know what you’re trying to do, and it’s not going to work.” She said stubbornly.

“What the fuck are you blabbering about?” He asked.

“You think I’m going to trust you, after everything you put me and a lot of people in this school through?” She asked angrily.

“That was a long while ago, pet.” His voice was gentle, his eyes filled with hurt.

“Just because you and Drusilla are broken up, it doesn’t make you’re a different person. You’ll always be the same, a bully, a liar, and a danger to the innocents in this school.” She turned without another word, and headed back inside.

Spike stood there, dumbfounded. The last time he picked a fight with anyone was months ago, that’s why he and Dru had fallen apart. He was changing but no one seemed to acknowledge it. He put the sweater up to his nose and inhaled her scent deeply. ‘Vanilla…’