Chapter Thirty: Never



A week after everyone was informed of Buffy and Spike’s relationship, Giles and Jenny were on their way back to Sunnydale from New York City for Thanksgiving dinner. Buffy, Spike, and Dawn all stood by the terminal, awaiting the couple’s arrival.



“Are you happy they’re, like, coming back?” Dawn questioned.



“In part.” Spike replied, eyeing Buffy seductively, his arms around her waist.



“Ew…I just witnessed Spike giving you sex eyes.” Dawn crinkled her nose in disgust.



Buffy could only roll her eyes at her little sister. “You were big into telling Mom that Spike and I are doing the nasty, so live with it.”



Just as Spike was about to voice his opinion on the situation, Giles and Jenny exited the plane, a timid woman around twenty-one with long wavy brown hair, and glasses, following close behind them.



Buffy was forgotten as Spike went forward to greet his parents and embrace the lady. “Mum, Dad, I’ve missed you both.” He moved to the girl, hugging her tightly. “Fred! It’s been so long, too long. What a surprise?”



“We haven’t seen each other in a year, and we spoke on the phone last night…it hasn’t been that long.” The tall, thin girl responded with a slight Southern accent.



Buffy felt a twinge of jealousy rise, rage filling her eyes. She was close to exploding with envy.



Fred noted the obvious anger that crossed the short girl’s features. “Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friends?”



“Oh right,” Spike turned toward Buffy. “Buffy, luv, this is my stepsister Winifred. She’s a student at Columbia University, and decided to surprise me. This is Buffy’s sister Dawn.”



“Stepsister?” Buffy and Dawn questioned at the same time, in shock.



“It’s so nice to meet ya’ll. Spike’s told me so much about you, Buffy.” Fred grinned at the girl with the funny name, noting the pride on her stepbrother’s face. ‘She’s a keeper.’



*



Buffy watched from the living room’s entrance, as Fred sat on the couch in the living room, chatting with the Scoobies. Joyce, Giles, and Jenny were in the dining room and kitchen, preparing the table, while Dawn and Andrew were upstairs in Dawn’s room, playing Crash Bandicoot.



Spike appeared at her side, a smile on his face. “What are you think about, luv?” He asked.



I can’t believe that you have a sister…two sisters…stepsisters, and you didn’t tell me.” She looked up, wondering if he had any other secrets.



“Fred and Illyria lived down South with their father…Jenny’s first husband. He was a right bastard when Jenny applied for divorce. Instead of fighting for the children and putting them through a lot of shit, Jenny gave them up in order to leave her husband. She saw them as often as possible, and when she and my dad got together, they came to visit and became my family. Fred’s a sweetheart, always concerned for others, and a smart one. Illyria’s a bit more…complicated. She’s like me. The bint’s got blue streaks in her hair and fancies leather. She’s also one hell of a fighter.” Spike explained.



“She give you a run for your money?” Buffy asked.



“Every summer that she came to visit with Fred. She was going to join us, as well, but she’s a very powerful woman at a small company in New York, and with her it’s always, “Conquer all…” and “I need no one’s attention.” She’s not a very soft person. She’s a shell of Fred. The protective covering, while Fred’s all heart.” Spike watched his sister with pride.



“I hope you’re that proud of me.” Buffy said with a slight frown.



“Always, baby.” He nuzzled her neck gently.



“Children, dinner.” Giles called out from the dining room, smiling at the sight of the young couple.



*



“We’re going to start with Giles, and go around the entire table saying what we’re thankful for.” Joyce suggested.



“I’m thankful for this dinner, my wonderful family, and new friends.” Giles smiled brightly at all those that surrounded him.



“I’m thankful for my friends and family, as well. I’m especially happy that Fred was able to join us. I missed her dearly. I just wish Illyria was here with us.” Jenny said with a slight smile.



“I’m thankful for my wonderful children, and new friends. I hope that we’ll be able to have many days like this.” Joyce smiled warmly.



“Let’s just say that everyone is grateful for their friends and family. Also, Anya you’re my most cherished possession, no matter how outspoken you are. And the food…never forget the food. The food is what makes this day worthwhile.” Xander put a hand over the girl beside him.



“I am thankful for all 675 orgasms that Xander has been able to give me, and the love we share. Also, my little monkey brother, Andrew, and Tucker too, who can’t be here because he’s not very well behaved, and has deep rooted issues.” Anya said with pride, earning grins, snickers, and shakes of heads from everyone (Giles mostly).



“I am most thankful for Dawn a typical American teenager. Bubbly and sweet with a hunger for fun and a smile that lights up the room. I’d also like to give a shout out to my brother Tucker, who couldn’t join us-” Andrew said.



“You are so weird.” Dawn interrupted. “Anyway, I’m grateful for this night, getting a chance to spend it with those I care about most.”



“I’m grateful for the Native Americans that have suffered through so much-“



“Willow…” Buffy warned.



“Sorry…I’m just thankful for all of you, a-and Oz.”



“I second that and switch it to Willow’s name.” Oz smiled.



All eyes fell on Fred. “I’m thankful to meet so many wonderful people. I never knew that Sunnydale was full of such life and love.”



After all the “Awes” it was Spike’s turn. “I never really had much to be thankful for,” his eyes fell on Buffy, “but this years is different…better…perfect. I can only say that Buffy is my light, my sun, my moon, and I’m thankful for the chance to love her.”



Buffy stood with tears in her eyes, and leaned over to place a chaste kiss on his lips. It was the first kiss that was witnessed by everyone. “Spike…you’ve become so much in so little time. I can’t thank you enough for opening my eyes to see what a good person you truly are. I’ll never stop loving you.”



It was her vow, her promise, and he could see it was the truth in her eyes.



“Enough with the mushy, let’s get to the food.” Xander said, accepting the couple for the first time.