Chapter Four: On Top

Buffy sat at her lunch table, Willow, her boyfriend Oz, Xander, and Anya surrounding her. She took three small bites out of her apple, and put it aside, then she began stabbing at her chicken with a fork.

“Usually when they give it to you, it’s already dead.” Oz said, knowingly. Every time he spoke, there was nonchalance in his voice, no matter what the subject. He always seemed to be in a mellow mood.

“Huh?” Buffy looked up from her holey chicken, and dropped her fork, pushing away her tray. “I’m not even hungry.”

“What’s wrong, Buffy?” Willow asked worriedly.

“Yes, you seemed so happy this morning, although somewhat depressed about Dawn. Did Dawn do something? Is she here?” Anya asked, looking around the cafeteria.

“It’s not Dawn. It’s him.” Buffy’s eyes were on the back of Spike’s head, and if looks could kill, he’d be a dead man.

“What did he do now?” Xander asked worriedly, preparing to make a trip to that table, even if it meant death.

“I thought he was all nice now…” Willow said, taking a bite of her banana.

“He tried comforting me.” Buffy whined.

“I can see how that can get a girl to commit murder.” Oz said, raising his eyebrows.

“What happened?” Willow asked, her mouth full.

“I saw Spike in the hall, and he was yelling at Parker because Parker said we did it. So I stopped Spike from killing him, and when the crowd left, Spike was at my locker with me. He got really close to me and started touching my hair, total invasion of my personal space. Then, Angel and Drusilla, the new couple of Sunnydale came walking by.” Buffy gritted her teeth in anger. “Drusilla stopped and called me sunshine, and Angel…he didn’t even acknowledge me.” She took a deep breath. “I kinda freaked and went running, but by the time I got outside Spike was there, hugging me.”

“Of course! When a man shows affection, we must all strike him down.” Anya said a bit loudly, and Spike peeked over at the table.

Xander gave him a death stare, while Willow and Oz seemed to be sending him their apologies. Buffy just ignored him, and kept her eyes on the holey chicken before her.

“That was sarcasm.” Anya said.

“I know it when I hear it.” Buffy gave her a small smile.

“Spike’s actually changed a lot since junior high. He’s not all grrr…anymore.” Oz said.

Buffy looked at Oz, in a bit of shock. “You’ve been hanging out with us for too long.” Oz nodded in agreement.

“Buffy, I really doubt he would have helped you on Friday if he was still grrr.” Willow pointed out.

Buffy glanced at Spike, who was sitting with Clem Thomas and Lorne Greene. They weren’t his usual group, but since he’d severed ties with Drusilla, he hadn’t been hanging with the same people. “I don’t know…Spike’s not my usual type of guy.”

“Spike and you?” Cordelia, as always, appeared out of nowhere. She would usually stop at their table to have small talk with Anya.

“Not like that…not even friends.” Buffy said.

“Yeah, right. It’s all around school how Parker’s a big sleaze bag, and Spike was defending you.” Cordelia turned her attention to the bleach blonde’s table. “It’s not like he’s low on the social chain, but he’s not in the same category as Riley and Angel.”

“There are categories?” Xander questioned.

“Of course there are. Angel’s on top with Gunn and Lindsey, because they’re the basic football and hockey team. They control the list, by dating certain girls. I would be considered their top pick if I dated guys my own age, but pretty much Buffy has taken that place by dating Angel. Then, Riley Finn, Graham, and Forrest are in the second section, basketball team. Just as popular, but they clash with the first section. Third and last section would be considered the outsiders who are date worthy group. This includes Oz, due to his guitar skills and nonchalance about everything, Lorne, due to the openness of his bisexuality, and Spike…the bad boy image is considered sexy.” Cordelia babbled.

“I’m on top?” Buffy questioned, unsure of whether to be flattered or scared.

“To some, except me.” Cordelia gave her a condescending smile, and walked out to her table of cheerleaders.

“What about me?” Xander asked, but his question was ignored.

Buffy sat, contemplating Cordelia’s words. “What if I don’t want to be one top? She asked her friends with wide eyes.

Spike stood when he heard her question, and approached her table with a cocky smile. “Well, Luv, there are many different ways that you can do it.” With that he walked out, in all his glory, as Buffy stared at him with rage in her eyes.

“Xander and I like to do it doggie-style. More penetration.” Anya said with a smile.

“Ahn! Private things!” Xander yelled.

“Did anyone else just get a visual?” Oz questioned. Buffy and Willow raised their hand, wide-eyed expressions on their faces.