Chapter Five: Lately

“Can you believe him, Willow? He was talking to me all…sexual.” Buffy lay on her best friend’s bed, staring up at the ceiling.

“And of course, you don’t find the tone he said it in at all appealing.” Willow stood by her fish tank, pouring flakes into the water.

Buffy sat up abruptly. “Appealing?”

“You have to admit Buffy, he is kinda sexy.” Willow said with a smile, as she sat beside the blonde.

“Yeah if you like blue eyes, high cheek bones-“

“Nice abs…” Willow shrugged when Buffy looked at her in shock. “When he plays in gym, he takes off his shirt.”

“And you watch?” Buffy asked.

“And you haven’t?” Willow questioned back.

Buffy allowed herself to drift to the image of Spike in gym, earlier that day. He was playing basketball with some of the guys, and quickly shed his Sunnydale t-shirt and tossed it to the side. Then he purposely looked for her in the stands and winked. A tingle came from below, and she quickly pushed it down.

“How about that calculus?” She changed the subject and earned a small swat on the arm from Willow. “Can you say, anger management?”

*

Torture…that’s what he was trying to do to her, Buffy decided when she entered her house after the study session at Willow’s to see Spike sitting on her couch in her living room watching The Simpson’s with her sister.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, slamming the front door behind her. Rage filled her eyes, as she watched him smile.

“ Was invited for dinner, pet.” He replied.

“Dawn, go to the kitchen really quick.” Buffy ordered.

“Spike’s cool, I’m not-“

“Now!” Buffy raised her voice an octave, throwing her backpack on the floor, and moving into the living room.

“Go on, nibblet. Big sis just wants to have a little chat.” Spike reassured the thin girl at he side, and with a grunt she was following his orders.

That just fueled Buffy’s anger. “Who gave you the right to come into my house, and get comfortable?” She asked angrily, pointing an accusing finger at him.

“Your mum. My dad and mum are in the kitchen with her, as we speak. I think we’re having lasagna.” He didn’t allow her to intimidate him. He just sat there, a conceded smile across his lips.

“You may be the big bad in school, Spike, but not here. Do me a favor and lets make this night worthwhile…don’t even look at me.” She requested.

Spike stood, and closed in on her as though he was an animal seeking his prey. She backed up leaning against the wall beside the entrance to the living room. “I'll think about it…Goldilocks.” He brought his hand up to her hair and twirled a strand around his finger.

All the air seemed to be sucked out of the room, and Buffy felt her knees go weak. He was suddenly leaning in, his lips coming close and her savior came rushing in.

“Mom said dinner’s ready so…” Dawn trailed off at the sight of the duo about to kiss. At the sound of her voice Spike jumped back, and Buffy was just startled. “Ew…please don’t tell me you were about to kiss her.”

Buffy rushed into the dining room in order to avoid her sister’s questioning and Spike’s lips. Her world was turning upside down. She was actually going to allow him to kiss her, she felt it, and disgust rose up to her throat.

“Buffy you know Rupert, and his wife Jenny.” Joyce said as Buffy sat down beside her. Dawn sat beside Buffy and Spike across from her.

Buffy gave them a sweet smile. “It’s so nice to see you again, Mr. And Mrs. Giles.”

“Please, just Giles.” He said, taking off his glasses to clean his lenses a grin on his face.

“And just call me Jenny. I’ve heard so much about you from Spike.” Jenny said, giving her son a smile.

“Spike…talks about me?” She was surprised, and Dawn gave her a dirty look. It was that moment that she realized her little sister was crushing on him.

“Mostly when he was in junior high, but ever since he saved you from Parker…” Spike shot his mother a dirty look. “You know…” She shrugged her shoulders and turned her attention to her food.

‘Even his mother is threatened by him.’ Buffy smiled wryly. “And I thank him for that.” She turned her attention to her mother. “May I be excused, I’m feeling a bit queasy.” She gave Spike a venomous look.

“Okay, Buffy. Do you need anything?” Joyce asked worriedly.

“No.” She replied. “Thanks for coming, I’m sorry I can’t stay.”

“I completely understand. We will be seeing you at the gallery tomorrow, right?” Giles asked.

Every Tuesday and Thursday, Buffy helped out at the gallery. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world. Goodnight.” She gave Spike one more look, and made her way upstairs.

Spike bit his tongue to stop from yelling at the bint. Instead, he turned his attention to the oldest Summers. “Mrs. Summers, this is the best lasagna I’ve ever tasted.”

His mother shot him a dirty look, and he put his head down. “I’m afraid I’m not much of a cook. We usually have Chinese or pizza at out house.” Jenny said with a smile.

“Are you looking into adopting?” Dawn asked, earning a look from her mother. “That’s been going around a lot lately.”