Chapter Eight: Patience and Words



“He did what?” Xander sat on Buffy’s bed between Anya and Willow. He thought he was going to have a heart attack.



“Kissed me. Spike…William Giles, kissed me.” Buffy nervously paced the floor, nibbling on her nails. Spike was going to be there in a half an hour to tutor Dawn, and she was on edge. How would she act around him?



“Did you kiss him back?” Anya asked and Buffy nodded. “I would have, too.”



“You kissed him back!” Xander exclaimed.



“Did you like it?” Anya asked and Buffy turned her back to the trio.



“You liked it! I can’t believe this!” He threw his hands up in frustration.



“Xander, calm down.” Willow patted the brunette on the shoulder, knowing that he still had a few small feelings for Buffy from freshman year. “It seems like Spike’s changed. He’s a nice guy.”



“He’s very nice to look at.” Anya said with a wide smile, and earned a scowl from Xander. She just shrugged it off.



“Do you think I like feeling this way toward him?” Buffy turned back to her friends, her arms over her chest. She tried to deny the attraction she had for Spike, but it was next to impossible.



“I don’t understand why you’re so uptight about this.” Willow said.



“I do.” Xander stood, and took Buffy’s arm. “You’re a beautiful girl, Buffy. Guys want you, they desire you, and they would do a lot to have you. Do you want to give Spike the satisfaction of having you, or would you rather wait until you meet someone who can appreciate you the way the I-we do?” It was the sweetest thing he’d ever said to her, and for a second, he had her heart.



“Wow, Xander. That was so sweet, and sexy.” Anya came up behind him and he turned to face him. “You want to go to my house, and…you know.” With a little nod, Xander was dragging Anya away, without a goodbye.



Willow shook her head. “Those two…have problems. Xander has a point, Buffy. It’s not like you don’t have the opportunity to pick who you want.”



Buffy knew that was true, but with all the other guys she had the option of choosing, none made her ache like Spike did. “I know, but I don’t think I want to pick anyone else.”



“You mean, you like him?” Willow questioned. Buffy shrugged, and Willow knew the answer. “Than do what your heart is telling you.” She looked at her watch. “I’m supposed to head to the Bronze to watch Oz and the band practice. You could come with, or I can stay here. Keep you company, while he’s tutoring Dawn.” She offered.



“No, I think I’m going to just stay here. I have to keep an eye on Dawn, while Spike’s here. Mom’s going to be home late, and Dawn’s seriously crushing on Spike.” Buffy said, putting her hands in the pockets of her jeans.



“She’s not the only one.” Willow teased.



*



Buffy watched them from the stairwell, as Dawn sat across from Spike on the living room floor, her history books scattered on the wooden coffee table.



They laughed, and Dawn sent shy smiles his way. They also conversed in ways Buffy had never been able to herself.



“Yeah, well, my dad’s in Spain with his secretary…it was really hard on Buffy the most. She was always Daddy’s little girl.” Dawn said, when Spike inquired about the whereabouts of Hank Summers.



“She doesn’t seem like the type.” He spoke softly when her name was mentioned.



“You really are feeling her, aren’t you?” Buffy stiffened when she heard Dawn’s question.



“That I am, little bit. She’s a very special girl.” He put a hand through his tousled curls and sighed. “She’s also very complicated.”



“I know she can be so stubborn. But sooner or later, she’ll see what a great guy you are. If she doesn’t, you can have me.” The younger Summers joked.



“Thanks.” He smirked. He knew Buffy was listening, and hoped she’d say more than hi. She was awkward upon his entrance. “We’re pretty much done for today.”



The phone rang, and Buffy quickly picked it up. “Dawn, phone.” She went into the living room and handed the cordless to Dawn.



The fifteen year old grabbed it, and scurried off to her room. Buffy sat on the couch, and watched Spike as he stood and stretched.



“Going home?” She asked, her eyes on the history book that sat on the coffee table.



“Unless you’d like me to stay for other reasons.” He lifted his eyebrows provocatively.



“My time with you wouldn’t be complete without a good sexual innuendo.” She rolled her eyes, and smiled at him.



“I’m being patient for you, Buffy.” He said. “That kiss, the world fell from beneath my feet.” He looked into her eyes from his spot, and he could see that she felt the same way.



She wanted to tell him that she felt the same, but the words wouldn’t form. “That’s nice…I guess, I’ll just see you tomorrow in class?” She asked.



“You mean you’re done avoiding me, like you did today.” He asked.



“I wasn’t avoiding you…I had a pass.” She replied, standing to walk him to the door.



“I’m guessing, Mrs. Hall told you she’d call your mother if you cut again?” He asked, knowingly, as he stood at the open door.



“That, and I have detention.” She replied.



For a second, it seemed he was going to lean in and kissed her, but he didn’t. Disappointment crossed her features.



“You want time, Buffy, and I’m going to give it to you.” He said, reaching for her hand. He lifted it to his lips, and brushed them across her knuckles.



Her heart pounded, and she wanted more, her words were becoming nothing. She had to be strong. “You’re right.” She snatched her hand from his. “See you tomorrow.” She shut the door quickly, leaning her back against it. She was falling, and all she did was yell at him.

*A/N: Pleas reveiw*