Chapter Nine: Get To Know Me

She could feel his eyes on her throughout English class. She sat in the front beside, Oz, while Spike spent his time in the back with Gunn.

“I see you scopin’ the girl. When you gonna holla?” Gunn questioned.

“I don’t feel that you need that information, mate. Last thing I need is that poof of a friend finding out.” Spike said, watching Buffy carefully.

“You know I don’t go back and tell him anything you tell me. He always finds out himself.” Gunn gave a little hint.

“He knows?”

“And he’s not happy about it. Besides for the fact that Buffy was his first…everything, he thinks you’re pulling the whole crush to get Dru on the fritz and…” The darker boy trailed off.

“And it’s working.” Spike finished.

“She’s been cursing you a lot. Says you’re too happy after she stomped on your heart. The girl is a bit loony.” Gunn replied.

“That what I miss most about her,” Spike said. “But just to set this straight, I genuinely like Buffy Summers. She’s so bright, and incredible.”

“Angel was an idiot to leave her for Drusilla.” Gunn said as the bell rang.

Buffy was the first one out of her seat, and on her way out the door. Spike had to jog to catch up with the blonde girl, after he put his books away.

“Buffy, hold on!” He called out to her, and she stopped in her tracks.

“What do you want, Spike?” She asked when he finally caught up to her. She made her way to her locker, and opened it to get out her calculus book.

“I…want to walk you to your next class.” He figured if he sent some time with her, she’d see him in another light.

A smile came across her features. “I’m…surprised, that you offered. I have calc next.” She hugged the book to her chest and shut her locker. She walked beside him. “I never got a chance to say thanks for helping Dawn yesterday. I’m not great with history myself, and Mom figured it would be better to have an A student give Dawn tutor time, instead of a C student.”

“You’re a smart girl, Summers. No need to bash your C. It’s a passing grade.” Spike said.

“That’s easy for you to say. How did someone with your past, become so smart?” She asked.

“My dad is intelligent, and Mum is pretty sharp, too.” He replied.

“Your parents are really cool. I wish I had a father like yours, and your mom is awesome.” There was a hint of sadness laced in her voice.

“He is a great man. My mother is too, although she’s not my real mother.” Spike informed her. She gave him a questioning look. “My real mother died when giving birth to me. Jenny met my father when I was ten, and became my surrogate mother.”

“She’s wonderful.”

“I’m very lucky.”

“Why are you telling me all of this?” She asked, as they approached the classroom door.

“Cause I want you to know me. All of me.” He replied with a smile, his head slightly tilted.

She couldn’t help but return his smile. He was making an effort. “I can’t wait to hear more.” Her voice was soft, and she leaned in, brushing her lips to his. Then, she retreated into class.

Spike was in a slight state of euphoria, when he felt a large hand on his shoulder, turning him around. He was face to face with his only enemy.

“I don’t know what you’re playing at with Buffy, but I don’t like it.” Angel growled.

“Can’t handle the fact that your former may be interested, mate?” Spike questioned back.

“You better leave her alone.” Angel threatened.

“If you haven’t noticed, Buffy is no longer your girlfriend, and from what I’ve been told, you and Dru are pretty close. She told me, and I’ve seen it, so what ever is happening between Buffy and I, will remain, and will stay between she and I.” Spike pushed Angel’s hand from his shoulder.

Angel restrained himself from hitting the blonde. “Buffy and I may not be together, but she had my mark. I had her first; I know what her body feels like, her mouth, and her kiss. I won’t let you experience that.” His tone was serious.

“Where is your girlfriend? I’m sure she’d love to hear that you’re so curious of my relationship with Buffy.” Spike’s smirk remained, as Angel’s jaw tightened.

“Dru is none of your concern, and I’m serious. You do anything that I find inappropriate to Buffy, and I’ll hurt you. I’m not her boyfriend anymore, but she has a very special place in my heart.” With those words the spiky haired brunette walked away.

“Fucking ponce.” Spike felt himself craving a cigarette, and forgot about physics to go outside, and relieve his frustration of the encounter.