Author's Chapter Notes:
I tried posting this before, but it didn't seem to work, so here it goes again! I don't own the characters. Also, this chapter hasn't been betae'd, since my Spuffy beta has been MIA for a while. Anyone interested in helping me beta the rest of the story? The spell check is also completely wonky, but maybe that's just my computerm so don't be too hard on me! I always appreciate reviews!!
1 – An unwanted return


“Anybody home?” Buffy called as she entered the seemingly empty house.

“Living room!” She heard Spike yell and made her way into the room.

“Hey, what are you guys up to?” Buffy gave her boyfriend a kiss before sitting down next to Cody on the couch.

“Big game.” Cody only replied, eyes never leaving the screen.

“This is all your fault, you know?” Buffy scolded. “If you hadn’t gotten him interested in baseball in the first place, he wouldn’t be glued to the TV each and every day.”

“Being interested in sports is only healthy.” Spike argued. “He’s in little league, right? Would you rather he sat in front of the computer all day, playing meaningless games?”

“So not the point.” Buffy argued.

“Is it that bad that we have something we’re both interested in?” Spike wondered. “It’s given us a stronger bond.”

“If you guys had a stronger bond than you do right now, you’d be attached by the hip.” Buffy reasoned.

“Mom?” Cody interrupted the disagreement. “Can dad take me to the game on Saturday?”

“What game?” Buffy looked at Spike.

“There’s a big game in LA this Saturday, LA Angels are playing the White Sox.” Spike explained.

“Are those good teams?” Buffy asked, getting a look of ‘duh!’ from her boyfriend and a deep sigh from her son. “What, I don’t know anything about baseball!”

“They’re great teams, mom!” Cody said in an obvious voice.

“OK, OK, I get it!” Buffy said. “What if we make a weekend out of it, visit Grandma and Aunt Dawnie, how does that sound?”

“Really?” Cody finally looked away from the TV. “I haven’t seen nana in forever!”

“She was here a couple of weeks ago.” Spike reminded him.

“But that’s ages ago!” Cody insisted.

“Only if you’re seven.” Spike stated. Cody chose to ignore his comment.

“Can we, mom, can we?”

“I’m the one who suggested it, right?” Buffy ruffled Cody’s hair, something her really didn’t like.

“Mom!”

“Sorry.” Buffy apologized. “So how about it? We’ll drive down right after my last class on Friday, and we’ll spend the whole weekend there. If you can get away, of course?” She turned to her boyfriend.

“Shouldn’t be a problem.” Spike said.

“OK, then it’s settled.” Buffy stood up. “I’ll let you two get back to the game.”

She left the living room and went into the kitchen, wondering what to make for dinner. Before she had a chance to open the fridge, however, she realized that the oven was on. Looking through the small window, she found that Spike was making his famous chicken stew.

“Yum.” She said to herself as she sat down at the kitchen table where her lap top was. Now she could focus on the English paper she had due the next day.

As she turned the computer on, a picture from their summer vacation the previous year welcomed her.

They had all gone to England, her, Spike, Cody, Giles, Joyce and Dawn. This picture was from the beach, she thought that Giles had taken it. In it she, Spike and Cody were in the water, splashing each other and just having fun. She smiled at the image.

The past three years had really gone by too fast. She remembered when she had first gotten to Sunnydale, meeting the guys. Her and Spike’s tentative relationship at first, and then their first date on Valentine’s Day. After that, they had been practically inseperable. She knew that their friends found them nauseating from time to time, but that they were also happy for them.

Cody and Spike’s relationship had gotten even better after Spike and Buffy had started dating. He didn’t have any problem with having a step-dad, and had even asked if he could call Spike dad on his sixth birthday the previous year.

Buffy was now in her final year at UCS, and was majoring in journalism. She had gotten straight A’s through all semesters, and would be graduating top of her class in June.

Spike had graduated almost two years earlier, immediately being offered a job at the Sunnydale Herald. He was now assisting editor, and loved the job. After graduating, he moved in with Buffy and Cody. Neither of them saw a reason for him to get an apartment of his own, when he would be spending most of his time there anyway.

Tara had graduated at the same time as Spike, and had gotten a job at a local coffee shop. When Willow graduated the previous year, they had gotten an apartment together. Willow was now going to med school, studying to be a doctor.

Xander and Anya had moved to LA for a while after graduation, but they both missed Sunnydale and their friends, so in January, they had moved back. Anya was running a store called ‘The Magic Box’ downtown, where they sold ‘magic’ supplies, mostly new age things. Xander had gotten a job in construction, and was working on the site of the new high school in town, after the old one had been destroyed by an earthquake.

Faith and Cordy had surprised their friends by getting an apartment together in July. Cordy was going to design school and Faith was working as a bartender at the Bronze.

Oz was currently on the road with Veruca’s band, but he would be back in Sunnydale by June.

Buffy had been afraid that she would lose touch with her friends when they graduated, since she was still in college, but she still talked to them at least twice a week, and they had a standing Friday night bronzing. Everybody didn’t make it every Friday, but they still saw each other on a regular basis.

Cody had started school that fall. So far, he was really enjoying it, and Buffy hoped it would last.

Buffy was pulled back to the present when Spike walked into the kitchen.

“Hey, thanks for making dinner.” She gave him a smile.

“I got off early from work.” Spike shrugged, getting a bottle of water from the fridge. “You working on your paper?”

“I just got started.” Buffy found the document on the computer and opened it.

“It’s already great, you know.” Spike stated, sitting down on a chair opposite Buffy.

“I want it to be better than great.” Buffy replied.

“Quite the little perfectionist, aren’t you?” Spike smirked at her, and Buffy responded by throwing a pencil at him.

“It’s not nice to tease.” She told him.

“You usually like it.” He gave her a meaning look, and Buffy blushed a little.

“Not the right place.” She mumbled, glancing in the direction of the living room, but Cody was apparently still wrapped up in the game.

“OK, but you won’t get away later.” Spike promised before standing.

“Oh, I don’t plan on it.” Buffy smiled suggestively.

“I’ll let you get back to the paper before I jump you right here.” Spike said before leaving the room. Buffy only giggled before turning her attention to the computer.

xxxxx

“Why do I have to stay with Grandpa tonight?” Cody whined as he and Buffy walked over to Giles’ house.

“I already told you, I have a class tonight that I can’t miss, and dad had to work.” Buffy explained for the fiftieth time that afternoon.

“But I can stay home by myself.” Cody assured her, giving her his most persuading smile.

“I bet you could, but Grandpa really wants to see you.” Buffy explained. It always worked to make Cody think that he was doing someone else a favor and not being babysat.

“I guess I could stay there a little while.” He now agreed.

“It’s only for an hour, until dad picks you up, OK?” Cody nodded.

They got to Giles’ house and Buffy knocked on the door. It took a few minutes before Giles opened the door.

“Hello Buffy, Cody, come on in.” He stepped aside to let them into the house.

“Hi Grandpa, I’m here to keep you company.” Cody announced as he took his jacket off.

“Well, that sounds lovely, I was rather lonely.” Giles gave Buffy an amused look, and she shrugged.

“OK, I gotta go.” She said, hanging Cody’s jacket up on the coat rack. “I’ll see you at home later, and be good, OK?” She gave her son a stern look.

“I’m always good.” He replied before running into the living room.

“If he tells you you’re supposed to give him something to eat, don’t buy it.” Buffy instructed. “I’m bringing food home after my class, and he had a snack just before we left the house.”

“I think I can manage.” Giles told her.

“I know you can.” Buffy nodded. “Just give Spike a call if you need to, and he should be here in an hour or so.”

“We’ll be alright, you go, you don’t want to be late for your class.” Giles ushered Buffy towards the door.

“OK, I should really go.” Buffy walked onto the porch. “Thanks for watching him, I really appreciate it.”

“Nonsens, he is my grandson, in a way at least.” Giles gave her an assuring smile.

“Not just in a way.” Buffy smiled back before walking down the path to the street. She could hear Giles closing the door behind her.

xxxxx

“That was a great lecture, don’t you think?”

Buffy heard two girls in front of her talk about the lecture they had just listened to as they left the auditorium. She had to agree, the lecture had been good. She was taking an advanced writing class this semester, and the school had managed to get a well known author to come and speak to the class. It really had been interesting.

Checking her watch, she realized that she had to hurry, it was already after eight. She would have two very hungry boys at home if she didn’t get there soon.

Taking a short cut through the campus, Buffy sped up. It was getting dark, and she didn’t like walking around the campus at night. She had grown up in LA, after all.

She had the restaurant in view when someone called her name. Turning around, she frowned. She hadn’t recognized the voice. A man, she asumed, was walking towards her. His face was hidden in the shadows, so she couldn’t see who it was. As he stepped into the light, Buffy gasped.

“What are you doing here?”